How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

Amy

How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

• $0-$10
    • $11-$25
    • $26-$50
    • $50-$100
    • Over $100

I thought it would be fun to see how much we allow ourselves to spend on yarn each month, as a group. (Remember, I'm a math geek!) Oh, the poll answers are anonymous. But if you want to "confess" to the whole group, feel free to add a response and let us know. :D

So, if you are brave enough to tally up your totals, approximately how much do you spend on yarn each month?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I don't have a budget. I used Joann coupons when they are available. I plan for projects and buy the yarn for that project (and a little more just so I don't run out). If I find a sale on yarn and I like it, I buy it. Then I go forever without buying any so I can use up my stash. I would say last year I spent aprox. $900. on yarn. It was used for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts and new baby gifts. I did make towel toppers and wash cloths for everyone just because. So, to answer the question, probably about $75. a month averaged out.

I spend a lot on yarn because I make a lot of Prayer shawls and give them all away. When my stash looks low (fewer than 10 plastic storage boxes - the big ones) - I go shopping. Whatever my husband has spent on fishing lures that month is my budget for yarn.

I have to say probably between 50 and 100....but that's an average. It all depends on how many good sales there are. I definitely can't pass up a good sale...or bargain....or coupon....or auction....or .... :lol

I must be honest and say that the majority of the yarn that I have has been given to me and I haven't spent more than $30 in the past 1-1/2 years for yarn to complete projects. When friends / moms of friends / co-workers find out that I crochet, they give me their yarn that they don't want to keep around their house anymore. With this, I am blessed! :hook

I use the JoAnn's coupons almost everytime they come out - which is often around here. I feel that saving 40% is better than paying the full price and then I can buy yarn I want or need. I always have several projects coming up and usually start buying yarn for them well in advance of when I will be finally making them. This time of year, I am spending more, with xmas gifts, getting some projects ready for winter crocheting and also for secret pals and such. If I had to guess, probably $50 a month. I don't have a big stash yet, but am working towards it so that I can feel a part of the "stashaholic" groups - lol.

Hmm. Although I've used a lot of stash yarn this month, I know I'll spend close to a $100 anyway. :blush

I probably average between $50-100, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that if I added it all up, I would be surprised (shocked) at how much I really spend.

I am really into novelty yarns, which as we all know are pretty spendy... I am the sort of person who just goes to the shop and grabs what they like and then decide what to make with it, so sometimes I will spend such and such on one or two balls of yarn than decide to make something of relative size and will need like, three times as much as first assumed. But even after that fact, I like wearable patterns (ponchos, sweaters, jackets) and those usually require a sizable amount of yarn and can be pretty spendy

If I break it down by month on what my hubby actually spends in a years time it is over $100 a month. He can't go to any store that has yarn on sale without picking it up for me, even if I'm not with him. I find a way to use it. Guess that makes me a little nuts.

If I break it down by month on what my hubby actually spends in a years time it is over $100 a month. He can't go to any store that has yarn on sale without picking it up for me, even if I'm not with him. I find a way to use it. Guess that makes me a little nuts.

wow... i think he needs to talk to some of the other husbands/stash watchers for memebers on here

i dont spend much on yarn because my mother and grandmother dont let me... they say i have too much yarn (1 tote) :( and i steal from grandmom lol, she doesnt mind

so i have to work on getting my tote down before i can buy more :(

Now thats a good husband.heheheheh:lol

guilty of the over 100 a month club. I love crochet, even if i am slow at it now and I cant maintain tention very well. My mom on the other hand has beautiful stitch control, and every time she comes over I end up giving her yarn enough for *one for me, and something for her* I just gave her some cashmere from the 1940's that I bought on ebay, there was 16 hanks. Told her make hers first then see what is left to make me something:D

wow... i think he needs to talk to some of the other husbands/stash watchers for memebers on here

i dont spend much on yarn because my mother and grandmother dont let me... they say i have too much yarn (1 tote) :( and i steal from grandmom lol, she doesnt mind

I only have one tote too and my hubby says that I have enough yarn to crochet us a new house. If he only knew how lucky he is! ;)

I go through spurts to replenish or make a specific project. It is pretty much related to the season of the year. Spring and summer, thread. Fall and winter, yarn. And if I don't have a specific project, I make for charity, usually baby blankets and hats.

You should show them some of the stash pictures from this forum, some people here have entire separate rooms and whole garages full of yarn. ;) I'm sure they'll come to realise that one tote is an extremely modest amount.

For a while, I was making a monthly trip to Hobby Lobby, and I'd almost always spend $29. Then I didn't buy yarn for a while (well, I suppose I should be honest and say I discovered online yarn shops). :lol But recently I've been buying thread and not as much yarn, so that brought my costs down.

But I just moved (I had 6 large boxes of yarn), and my new place is 50% more a month than the old place, and that's coming out of my entertainment budget (meaning, I can't buy as much yarn). But since I now have cable, I can indulge my HGTV habit to my heart's content, and actually use up some of that yarn I've been stockpiling.

Wow, I thought there would be a lot more ppl in the over 100$ a month club... but alas, I am # 4 in that group so far. OH! The SHAME of it all... (or is it the thrill??? LOL)

I wish I could spend more than $100 a month on yarn! but I don't have the money or the time and my family despises my crochet hobby. I'm a college student working two pt jobs just trying to pay off tuition and rent and I'm trying to save money for after college so I don't have very much money to spend on yarn. I'll usually buy a skein or 2 once every couple of months.

I spend a lot on yarn because I make a lot of Prayer shawls and give them all away. When my stash looks low (fewer than 10 plastic storage boxes - the big ones) - I go shopping. Whatever my husband has spent on fishing lures that month is my budget for yarn.

I love it!

Mine varies a lot, some months I can't spend a thing. Sometimes it's up to maybe $30 or $40. Definitely not as much as I want to.

well mine this month would be over 100. I found a lys and spent 150 there. I usually spend about 50-100 though unless I find a good sale on something that I know I will use. I crochet quite a bit waiting for kids to get out of various activities and stuff like that and I am a SAHM right now so I have lots of time to do my thing as the family calls it. Hubby doesn't fuss over my stash (have some here and there all over the house) as he is a tool nut and a woodworker. So if he gets wood/toys we don't leave the store without dropping at least 100 and he doesn't fuss over my goodies like that. Especially since I make most of the holiday/baby/birthday gifts. I also do stained glass and that is about as bad as my crochet horde....lol. He is funny though..... if he sees me looking at yarn and I won't buy it the next day or so it will be on the bed waiting for me when I get home from him. He knows that my crochet relaxes me and I do tons of stuff for all of them and not a lot at all for myself. So in that way I am blessed....... he sees me going without all the fancy stuff that others may have and give to my family in everything and don't take a lot. That is the way he says thnk you to me for all that I do for them.

Nikki

Eek, I just bumped myself up a notch after finding the Mil's End bin at AC Moore. :lol Man, it's so hard to average. When you keep denying that you're spending much on yarn. LOL

Archived