How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

Amy

How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

• $0-$10
    • $11-$25
    • $26-$50
    • $50-$100
    • Over $100

I voted for the $26-50 range but it really depends on what I need/want and how much money I have. I never spend less then $20 in one trip. My trips are what depends on the money because I will not walk near the yarn if I don't have money. I have to admit the most i've spent in one trip is $100 and that was at JoAnns & I don't get there often. Yes, i'm making excuses for myself. :blush

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

On payday I reward myself:cheer I am a budgeter and I include buying yarn in my monthly expenditures. I consider it a cheap way to stay mentally healthy and happy :yes

Crochet help me get past the pain so I spent a lot and will buy really expensive yarn if I really like it. I don't go out and my kids are grown, so my money is my own and don't have to worry about anyone remarking on what I spend money on. I love to crochet :manyheartand I deserve to spoil myself :c9. Without the internet I would spend a lot more, I love the internet :D

• 2 weeks later...
I spend a lot on yarn because I make a lot of Prayer shawls and give them all away. When my stash looks low (fewer than 10 plastic storage boxes - the big ones) - I go shopping. Whatever my husband has spent on fishing lures that month is my budget for yarn.

what is a prayer shawl?

I posted the 11 - 25 .. cause it depends on money and what mood I am in... yeppp .. otherwise it spend nothing for a few months and then can spend about 200 on yarn only; doesn't include anything else in the basket .. lolol

because we bought a house and had to pack things I didn't spend hardly anything for almost 1 yr .. and with the unpacking now and trying to get organized (been almost a year and 8 mths) have only bought as needed.

So for now ain't got much yarn and ain't aspending much money either .. lolol

but I will .. I will ...

So, if you are brave enough to tally up your totals, approximately how much do you spend on yarn each month?

Not nearly as much as I'd like to :haha:wink....I could put us into debt! BTW, I fit in the majority group.

I used to spend about 50-100 dollars a month on crochet yarn and ***. but now i am lucky to spend 10 dollars what i do is i buy yarn with no dye lot and only buy one skien at a time. (i go to school and work part time so my money is spent on school)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked $26-$50, but that might be high. Like a number of others, I can go months without buying, then go crazy for a while. My last purchase was around $100 at a Hobby Lobby when we were back in North Dakota... I don't have a HL here so I felt justified stocking up on the pretty Yarn Bee yarns. :D I use coupons and take advantage of sales whenever I can - honestly I rarely buy yarn that isn't on sale or that I don't have a coupon for. I'm trying to hold off on buying more for a while because my stash is starting to overflow its designated corner in the den...

I have enough yarn to last a lifetime, but....I am a hoarder. Whenever I run

out of a color or use one color more than others (black) I buy yarn whenever I have a coupon. Each week we get coupons from Michaels, A C Moore and JoAnns. They just have to be used. Unfortunately my Mom has

been diagnosed with Altzhiemers and is crocheting less so I know that it is a matter of time before I inherit her yarn which is quite a stash !!

I don't necessarily buy yarn that I need. I buy yarn because I think it is pretty. :D Then I try to find something to make with it. Very rarely do I buy yarn after I have the pattern. The only yarns I have "in stock" is white, black and off-white.

I have stock piled quite a bit of yarn and thread for future projects and I am now buying in bulk... I have it all put up nice and neat just waiting for me to use.

I spend too much! I have my stash hidden in chunks all over the house, not because I'm getting grief from my hubby about the immensity of it, but because I feel guilty and don't want to be confronted with it all at once!!

I don't want to know! I am sure I would be in the over $100 category ... but since I am not going to investigate to really find out, we will just go with umm... $50. That sounds like a reasonable amount right? Yep that is it. I only spend $50 per month on yarn. I am going to just keep telling myself that ...

• 3 weeks later...

My husband has put me on a budget of $40 a month on yarn - sometimes that is not enough and other times, it is plenty.

I spend alot of time searching Yard Sales and Flea Markets for Yarn. You woudln't believe how much you can actually find. (another great place is ebay... do a search on yarn lots). You get the yarn much cheaper, and usually get a goodly amount of the same color so that you will have enough for any project.

I try to keep it under 25 unless I am doing a specific project. Like right now I am getting ready to make an army of turtles. luckily one small skien is enough. i am going to splurge and get some cammi yarn as well as smaller sizes of simply soft they are cheaper and I don't need too much to make turtles, plus I can make numerous color combos. right now I have a good size stash thanks to freecycle. but of course it is never enough. new yarn is always coming out of course I gotta have it.. lol

I've been de-stashing for 2 years now and still have boxes of yarn. Even when I made a beaded wedding purse for my daughter, I was able to find the necessary size 10 thread in my stash.

I'm currently working through my remnants of alpaca and merino wool, making an airy afghan from one of the Crochet Dude's squares. It's my take-along project.

I'm doing a second beaded purse because someone at the wedding saw it and when she asked how much to make one and I said $500 figuring it would put her off... I got an instant commission ... half up front.

I've got a box of leftover assorted colors of acryllic waiting to be made into a rug.

I bought pre-spun wool years ago. It's kind of looks like worsted wool that's been air-popped. This will become a felted object. Leftover merino from the afghan will provide pink streaks. I've done a test swatch; just haven't planned the project.

right now I'm not spending anything:no too many other financial resp. but dsis did find me some yarn at a thrift store, and I found some for 3.00 so I am using that. Hopefully bill will slack off and I will have a:yarn budget again

Once a week I spend from $15 to $30. So it's kinda $100 a month(the smaller you see the number, the less it hurts!!).

WOW!!! I never sat down and did the math:scared

But it's on and off, depending in what I'm in the mood for that week!!

• 3 months later...

Archived