Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh No!!!:D I just printed this pattern. I was looking through this CAL and saw the pretty snowflake afghans. :dance And well........ since we really don't get much in the way of snow here,:2snow IF we get any at all......... And I really do miss the snow....... :flake But I don't miss driving in it.:drive I loved to watch the snow coming down :snow when I lived in Michigan...... hmmmmmm I have to decide on a color. I know I want the snowflakes to be white. I am just not sure for the background color yet.,.........:wangel:wlol:wgrin

Hi BeagleLady!

I simply had to send you a note and tell you that your Noah's Ark afghan is absolutely stunning! Great work and thanks so much for sharing. Best wishes and happy crocheting!

EagleEye

Melissa, there has been talk of making the snowflakes with the yarn that has a silver thread through it. This is the time of year to get that in the Christmas Yarn bins. Just a word to the wise :idea

I think it would be wonderful myself and I am so trying not to make this one... even though that yarn is out there... and it is at the end of the 2nd aisle...nope not doing it... :no:yay:lol

C'mon, Darski, you know you want to...you visit this thread so often...you just need that little push over the edge. Ignore that little voice that keeps saying "You already have too many projects!" I do. :)

Julie, I think I've settled on the Country Blue Simply Soft color...I think it's the same one you did. It's not quite the blue I wanted but the other was so bright. My son is already begging me to make another one (though only the snowflakes on this one are done so far) in the bright blue for him.

I'm making 2 .... one of them is delft blue with white SFs, both are Redheart SS. The other one is Jiffy white SFs and Shaded Blues TLC Essentials. Just beautiful I was worried that there would be too much difference in size between the yarns in #2, but I notice that those blocks actually lay flat, compared to the rumpliness of the one using the same yarn for both the flake and border.

Wow Melissa

I guess there would be quite a difference in weather between Michigan and NC ! Make one of these afghans and it'll always remind you of the winters up this way, no matter where you are .

Kiirs- I used RH country blue, but it is close to the ss in the same shade .

Darski

Just get the yarn and do it ! This is such an easy pattern and turns out really stunning. I goy lots of compliments on mine, from people who usually don't pay much attention to what I'm making .

Cozy- I'd love to see photos too ~

I bought my yarn tonight.:yarn I picked up dark sage and white. I looked for the sparkly white, butdidn't find it.:eek Luckily Hobby Lobby had yarn on sale.:clap I think I will get started on this one tomorrow. I am finishing up a hat and scarf to match Kyra's new sweaer right now.

I have a simple question. In all my 30 years of crocheting, I've never successfully done a motifs afghan. Sooooo, I have several hexes done and want to sew tog before I go any further. When I sew the straight edges, how far over do I go? Essentially, I guess I'm wondering when the center sc of the corner 3 scs is stitched and to what. I have a history of little holes in the center where 4 come tog, which is why I never do motifs.

Can someone help, please?

Heather- very pretty, I love the lilac background .

Crochetrae - the way I put mine together, I laid out the first 2 rows of snowflakes, then went clear across the row, joining with sc done in the back loops on the wrong side ,so they were put together in kinda like a zigzag direction, due to the hex shapes -- you know, like up, down, up down ?

I did that going across each row , then repeated going down each row .

I hope this helps you in some way .

That's the way I like putting motif-type things together - it goes so quickly that way !

Good luck . :)

Heather- very pretty, I love the lilac background .

Crochetrae - the way I put mine together, I laid out the first 2 rows of snowflakes, then went clear across the row, joining with sc done in the back loops on the wrong side ,so they were put together in kinda like a zigzag direction, due to the hex shapes -- you know, like up, down, up down ?

I did that going across each row , then repeated going down each row .

I hope this helps you in some way .

That's the way I like putting motif-type things together - it goes so quickly that way !

Good luck . :)

Julie, this is after you had the straight edges already sewn together, right? And you were ready to join rows? So, you didn't whip stitch tog, you did sc? So, instead of holding two motifs right sides tog, they are laying flat on the table, wrong side up? Sorry, I'm trying to get a clear picture here.

Thanks for your help!

i've just started. i have two hexagons finished and 5 snowflake parts done. i plan to join into rows as i go. i don't like joining so i hope this helps.

I had just started mine last Friday. :) I was thinking as soon as I have enough done to put a row together, I would do that. Then I wan't have so many to put together at the end. I think it will make it go easier for me. I don't really want abig pile of hexagons to do in the end. And putting it together as I go will help motivate me to keep working on this project instead of picking up another one. :D Although I have been working on a few small things in between. I made my daughter some mittens to go with her hat. It has been pretty :wbrr here lately.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm doing all my snowflakes then when I go back to put the color edging on I'll sew it on to the row. It helps to break up the monotony. :)

Archived