Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The finished product is really great Cozy. The variegated background makes it look like snow falling on a very dark midnight blue sky. I have one strip finished and 6 other snowflakes complete. I think I will do snowflakes tonight to get a jump on another row then do my background on row 2 tomorrow. I am trying to mix it up so I won't get bored!

I have already made 20 blocks...but i don't know how to join the blocks...:) The instruction says whipstich...i don't know what it is.... is it the same as slip stich....

Annie, when sewing the blocks to each other, you put the 2 good sides together and I whipeed thru both loops of the chains on each. People do it different, so others probably used just one loop or the other, they can tell you what they did. But when you got to join the strips to each other, you can no longer put the 2 right sides together because they are cut-outs of each other and don't match. You have to lay them down in front of you, like on a bed and sit beside it on a chair, I used something flat under the part I was working on to keep it from mixing with the bed linens, anyway, then with the pieces set together, I sewed them together like this, my left hand is actually holding onto an end that I'm sewing in as I go - the right hand would be sewing, but it's stuck taking the pic! You can see the needle catching the 2 loops on the top block and the bottom block, after about 3 stitches, I'll hold the thread I'm sewing in downward and tighten thel the working yarn over it, without scrunching up the block:

I tried to put a pick here from my photobucket account, but it wouldn't let me. So, I added the demo pic to the bottom of my blog post, if you're interested in looking at it :)

The finished product is really great Cozy. The variegated background makes it look like snow falling on a very dark midnight blue sky. I have one strip finished and 6 other snowflakes complete. I think I will do snowflakes tonight to get a jump on another row then do my background on row 2 tomorrow. I am trying to mix it up so I won't get bored!

Thanks Suzy. The only thing I had to watch when I 'mixed it up' is that I left a 15" tail on the borders to sew them together with. But when I was doing a snowflake, just a few inches which I sewed in as I joined them. Sometimes when I switched from one to the other I'd leave a long tail on the white, wasting yarn, or worse, cut off the blue at only a few inches and have to attach a new yarn :(

I have a question for those of you who have sewn your strips together. I'm not talking about sewing one flake to another flake, but rather, the actual strip to another strip of snowflakes. I laid mine out and butted the pieces together to sew them. But someone else I know can't figure out why I couldn't just put the right sides together and sew them. It would seem awkward to me to try to maneuver the angles together and still get the hole in the corner set in perfectly. But, I have to admit, I'm not all that experience. So, I thought I'd ask.... how did you sew your strips to each other?

Cozy, I didn't sew them into a strip I'm doing them to the afghan one at a time I was getting aggrevated trying to sew a strip on plus then you would sew 3 sides at a time and have less strings everywhere I just found it easier that way.:hook

Cozy, I didn't sew them into a strip I'm doing them to the afghan one at a time I was getting aggrevated trying to sew a strip on plus then you would sew 3 sides at a time and have less strings everywhere I just found it easier that way.:hook

OK, but the technique is still at question. Are you flopping the block back and forth to put right sides together as you move around the 3 edges, or are you butting it into the cut out area and sewing it flat?

I've done it both ways before depending on how the item assembled most easily. I don't think there's a difference.

I don't understand how one can be sure that their holes will come out in the exact right place when using the flop right sides together technique. When I butted the edges and sewed from the top, there were plenty of times that I had to make adjustments and look for any hole that might try to come between the corners, which I could do because I was seeing how it looked as I did it. Maybe it's my lack of experience, but I only feel comfortable putting right sides together on squares! I did sew each snowflake to each other like that, for the strip, though.

It's worth mentioning that after I started doing mine this way, I was in a bookstore and saw an afghan book that they demo'd a joining technique for 6 sides blocks, and they were doing exactly what I was, so I felt relieved about it, that it was an excepted method :) I'm sure both ways work great and the flip way is probably used by most, I just didn't like having the pieces not match when flipped and having to move the edges together and then not being able to see how the hole was falling, it made me feel anxiety while trying to do it.

Archived