Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got back to my afghan after at least a month of looking at it sitting in the corner of the living room. I couldn't sleep last night so I got up at 5 AM and finished 2 hexagons before anyone else got up. I still have a long ways to go though.

Athba- Thats what I did and it seemed pretty easy. I just made all the snowflakes first then added the edging and sewed them together as I finished them.

I haven't forgotten to put the pattern up for the half hex I was waiting to make sure it wasn't an infringement on the original pattern or anything with copyright. I haven't gotten an answer yet but will try to write it out so I can post it. I'm not good at writing patterns so I hope it will be readable lol.

I just need to find time to work on it. I have promised myself way to thin. I can't wait to see your afghan.

I do the make the center first with some things I have done in the past. It does make them seem to go faster some times. I love this afghan.

i'm glad to see folks are working on this. i've hit a lazy streak and haven't worked on my afghan any since the first of the week. we have a lot going on right now, dh on vacation, daughter moving into her own apartment. these are my excuses for not crocheting. i'll try to do better next week.

you guys keep on working.

I noticed this CAL was started last year but after seeing the pattern, I just had to start this beautiful afgan. I have 2 snowflakes hexagons completed. I have a LOOOONG way to go!

Thanks for welcoming me! I'm glad there are still people doing this CAL.

Wooo! It takes be about an hour and a half to make one complete hexagon! Is that normal? Well, then again, I am new so maybe not. By the time I get home from work, cook, and settle down to crochet, that's about all the time I have. At this rate I will be lucky to get it completed by 2 months. Maybe I can double up on the weekends! I am determined!

BTW, my hexagons are wavy. Will they straighten out once I join them? I didn't see a gauge test; maybe I'm crocheting to tightly?

I guess since I haven't heard anything back yet I'll just post it and hope it's ok to do.

This is not tested and my first pattern I've written so let me know if there is any problems or you find a better way to do it.

Ch 2

R1) 4 sc in 2nd ch from hook

R2) ch3 turn (Dc, ch 2, Dc) in next 2 sc, Dc in last st

R3) Ch 3 turn, Dc in same st, (2Dc, ch 3, 2Dc) in next 2 ch 3 sps, 2Dc in last st

R4) Ch 3 turn, 2 Dc in same st, (3 DC, ch 3, 3 DC, ch 1) in next 2 ch 3 sps, 3 DC in last st

R5) Ch 3 turn, 3 DC in same st, (4 DC, ch 2, 4 DC, ch 3) in next 2 ch 3 sps, 4 Dc in last st fasten off

R6) Join new color in the last st, ch 2, hdc, dc in dc's, (2 dc, trc in ch 1 on prev round, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, dc, hdc, hdc in next 3 sts (sc, ch 1, sc) in corner, * hdc, hdc, dc to ch 2 sp, (2 DC, Trc, 2 Dc) in ch sp, Dc, hdc, hdc to corner, (sc, ch 1, sc) in corner* repeat from * to * 1 more time.

R7) ch 3 turn, dc in each dc, (dc, ch 3, dc) in corner around

R8) Ch1 turn, sc in each dc, 3 sc in corner around fasten off.

This is my addaption of the snowflake hex block to make it a half block to fill in the gaps in the sides since the original pattern didn't have one.

I'm still working on this one, and I think it will be a while before I finish, since I have so many projects going, (and a short attention span!) I am a little over half done with the hexagons, and have sewn together the ones I have finished. I am thinking about making a smaller throw, so I don't have to make so many blocks, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

Thank you thank you thank you Heather. I will give it a try this weekend. I have 6 1/2 rows done and hope to have a full 7 done after my lunch hour knitting/crochet group is over. Need to get more white yarn though because I am pretty sure I don't have enough to even finish the snowflakes much less edge. There is light at the end of the tunnel and I am way ahead of my end of February deadline I set for myself! Woohoo! Almost there.

Archived