Snowflake Afghan CAL

I did the snowflakes first and am going back now and adding the edges and sewing them together as I finish each block. I just finished 4 1/2 rows and as you can see hubby can't wait for me to finish it lol. :D

th_snowflakeafghan.jpg

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the first block! 4 snowflakes done...many more to go! You can't really tell but its hunter green, not black as it appears.

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXP0P%3F87KR6xqpxQQPnxGPoxeGexv8uOc5xQQQ0PPooJQJeQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXP0P%7CRup6Gnn%7C/of=50,590,441

I did the snowflakes first and am going back now and adding the edges and sewing them together as I finish each block. I just finished 4 1/2 rows and as you can see hubby can't wait for me to finish it lol. :D

th_snowflakeafghan.jpg

Is he real tall or is it just the perspective of the picture? I know it's not done, that there will be more afghan added. I just wonder if it will be long enough when all the rows are done because I had to add another 2 rows to mine, because I realized that while it was just wonderful when I laid under it, I'm 5'6" and my son is 6'1"! grrrrrr.....

I have a pic kind of like that of my hubby, where I have 3 strips, not even sewn and they are laid on him to try to judge how it will look. He looks like he is looking to escape in my pic!

Thanks everybody. I'm really enjoying this project. I have nine snowflakes done and two finished blocks which I've sewn together. That really got me excited..seeing it together! Two whole blocks, but I have them draped over the couch to give me a preview of what it will look like when its finished. The couch is a green leather and I think it will be a good match. I have to go to Wal-Mart today to look for more yarn. Wish me luck. I have had this green for YEARS! So doubtful that I will get a match. But I figure if I do half in one color and half in the off color it won't be as bad. I had thought of doing an alternating color..maybe a burgandy, but not really sure how that would look. Anybody every seen an example like that?

Suzy, I've seen one pattern that was either a snowflake or tree ornament of some kind. They alternated the background from dark red to dark green, every other block in each row. This snowflake one might be nice, if you had to alternate colors, to place the rows of color diagonally. Well, you can have fun playing with it!

Is he real tall or is it just the perspective of the picture? I know it's not done, that there will be more afghan added. I just wonder if it will be long enough when all the rows are done because I had to add another 2 rows to mine, because I realized that while it was just wonderful when I laid under it, I'm 5'6" and my son is 6'1"! grrrrrr.....

I have a pic kind of like that of my hubby, where I have 3 strips, not even sewn and they are laid on him to try to judge how it will look. He looks like he is looking to escape in my pic!

It's just the perspective of the picture, he's only 5,3" like me we are height challanged :lol It is running side ways on him in this picture so adding my 4 1/2 more rows it should be well long and wide enough for him.

He closed his eyes like he wouldn't show up in the picture. :devil I had brought it out to show him and he wouldn't give it back :lol so that's what he gets.:lol

I started this one this weekend! Already have 14 motifs done :) I'm using pounder yarn, with Cape Cod Blue for the background. This yarn makes my gauge larger than normal, so they are coming out to 8.5" across.

Do we have a button for this CAL? I was thinking of making one. I'm a button fiend.

341650330_d223e62034_m.jpg

Well that is so cool vigilant :-) I've never had a button before and such a pretty one at that! Well I am still a newbie..not even a junior member yet, so I wonder if I can attach it? I will try.

I had a little bit of a scare today with the yarn and thought I might have to start over with another green. I don't think they even make the Super Saver Hunter anymore. But Ebay to the rescue! I ordered two 8 oz skeins. I hope it ends up being enough. I have about 32 ozs in all. If not I did see other people had single skeins for sale, so I will just have to bide my time if none is availabe when I get towards the ends. The price wasn't too bad. 16 oz for $9.50 including shipping. So for a "rare" yarn *hehe* I feel like I got a deal.

The buttons are usually used by people who have craft blogs or webpages :)

Well darn it. I don't think I get to put pictures in my signature yet. But I will pretend..

snowflakeafghancal.gif

Heather, so it will fit you both SO GOOD. You could probably do 2 rows SHORTER and still have it fit good!

I thought about shortening it but :think Oh well lol I don't have but 3 rows to go might as well go all the way. :D

Whip Stitching would be sewing it together.

I'll give a quick progress update too!

So far I have made 21 hexagons and 2 super cute kitty pictures. lol

343240408_8dfc0c4ede_t.jpg344857916_3b66266184_t.jpg

Heather, I think you're being able to figure out the 1/2 block was just brilliant. I didn't have anymore steam left to struggle with this and so didn't work as hard as you did on fixing the problem. What I wanted to change about it, was the obvious, the huge cut-out chunk that looks to me like a piece fell out! I changed the first border, enough to remove the sharp corners and 'missing block' look, and turn the area into a soft curve. You can see the pic of how it looks with the bobble on that area on my blog on today (Jan 4) and if anyone is interested, my instructions for adjusting row 1 are on Jan 2. Almost done! :)

Half-hexes are a good idea! I was just wondering how to handle those...it would bother me to leave the edges like that. It's too bad the picture on the pattern doesn't show that at all...I'm not sure I would have started this if it had! It's good to know the half-hexes can be done...but I'm leaning towards doing some short rows or something in there while I'm doing the edging.

Lynn, I can't tell from your response which note you are responding to, nor if you noticed that at the end of my post I mentioned that I left instructions for what I did to soften the cut-out to a curve on my blog, on Jan 2. Just checking. I wish this board listed which message someone was replying to. Anyway, it may not be what you are wanting to do to yours, just wanted to make sure you did see what I did with it.

I had thought they had finished this without thinking hard enough, but was surprised on checking my many afghan books, that the majority of afghans with this kind of shape finish this way, instead of providing the 1/2 block. You can spot them easy - they always have the edges wrapped around something so you can't see them! When you check the pattern, it confirms it. Sometimes I like the way it looks hanging down a bed, but it depends on the size of the blocks.

Cozy, thanks for the info. I went and looked at yours and it looks much more "finished" than the original does. You did a great job on it :)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I plan on trying to make the snowflake half-hex, and a simple dark color half-hex and see how those look. I have always done plain old rectangular afghans before and I think that's the way I'd like it to stay...hehe.

Another thing I did was look thru lots of pattenrs and find 1/2 hexes that had a radiating hole pattern, but they were not the same amount of stitches, so one would still have to work it out and my brain was way done on this project. But, if you look at lots of patterns, I'm sure you'll see some like I'm talking about.

Lynn I too figure that's why it doesn't show the edges which is kind of cheating lol. I've only done one other hex afghan and they had a half hex in the pattern so I was surprised this one didn't.

Cozy I think that does soften it and will look real good. I'm hoping my border edge will hide mine. It will still have a little dip where my half hex is but not as severe without it.

Archived