Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a pic, too! I've got 22 snowflakes finished. I think I'm going to do the throw size that someone posted that only takes 39...doubt I'd have the patience to do 59. :) The snowflakes are so fast and easy...I had the pattern memorized after just a few of them. I love being able to make something without having to look at a pattern.

I'm thinking now that it's time to get out some yarn scraps and see which color would look best for the dark color.

yeah ..its true Kiirs... it is nice to make something without having to look at the pattern....:) i am ran out of the snowflake yarn which is sky blue... i searched 3 shops yesterday... i don't find any... very sad now..... I only have 30 snowflakes now..... i need 29 more..... Meanwhile i am finishing the hexagon with the snowflakes...... i hope i will find the colour soon.... need to order from other states shop.....

I have bitten the bullet and started my afghan. This is the first one I have ever done for myself. I am using navy blue and white and I have three complete hex and 5 more snowflakes. Hoping to have completed for Christmas.

:ctree

I have finally made a decision :cheer . When Jo-Ann's had their Wool-Ease on sale last week, I spotted that white multi. It sparkles different colors in the sun! I got that for my snowflakes. Then I let my DH pick out the yarn for the border and he chose LB Pound of Love in the denim. I have 3 flakes done :D . I gotta tell ya, that sparkly stuff is just sooooo perfect for snowflakes!!!

Ooh, I haven't seen that yarn! I'll have to look for it...it sounds lovely.

I'm stuck, guys, and need your help...I've got 30 snowflakes finished and I decided to try the hexagon part on one just to see how that color would look. I can't understand the directions at all. It must be something easy and I'm just not getting it, but I don't know what "chain 2 space" it's talking about right at the beginning of round 6, or the next 2 spaces. I assumed it meant the chain 2 space in between the 4 dc on round 5, but if that's the case, then I don't understand which "next 2 spaces" the half-doubles are supposed to go in. I'm so confused. Help, anyone?? Thank you so much!!

Edit: maybe never mind...I looked at pictures someone posted of their close-up square (was it Julie?) and it helped tremendously. I'm thinking now that the "spaces" just means in between the 4 dcs, even though there are no spaces there. Am I right?

Edit: maybe never mind...I looked at pictures someone posted of their close-up square (was it Julie?) and it helped tremendously. I'm thinking now that the "spaces" just means in between the 4 dcs, even though there are no spaces there. Am I right?

That is exactly correct. It threw me for a minute, also.

Thanks!! One more question: when did you weave in your ends? I'd like to get rid of all the white ends before putting on the dark color but there doesn't seem to be many good places to hide them in the snowflake itself. Did you weave them in before doing the hexagon part?

I did the white part as I finished each snowflake, mostly I just sort of wove them in along the edge, where the darker color would hold them a bit too. I am sewing my hexagons together as I finish them, so I weave in the inside darker color as I finish each one, but I have been using the outside end to sew the pieces together.

Hi Guys

Sorry, I havent checked in here in a couple days, but to answer the question that someone already answered, yep, you just make your stitches between the dc's --- there is no space there for them, you just make the stitch there .

I used the Lion brand yarn that one of you mentioned and it did make a REALLY pretty snowflake .Reminds you of real snow in the sun, how it sparkles .

This pattern would be pretty in almost any color. I know I saw a post once of someone who made the snowflakes in all different really bright colors, then the hex part was all done in black. Wow- it was REALLY pretty. They looked almost like huge flowers .

This is definitely a beautiful afghan and so much easier than it actually looks .

I guess the worst part is putting it together, but it's not too bad .

You can weave in the ends anytime you want to, some people prefer saving that all for last, but I like weaving them as I go so you don't have such a lot of them to do all at once .

Thanks for the information! I spent yesterday weaving in the snowflake ends, and started on the hexagons today. Problem is, I don't know what color to choose! I want to do it in some kind of blue and got two different ones and framed the snowflakes in both, and my kids are divided on which is better, and so am I. :) Maybe my husband can be the tiebreaker when he comes home.

I will probably get the yarn to start on this today. I'm new to the boards here and finding WAY too much to do. I went from not having any projects to too many hahaha. I love this site!!!!

I'm finding that out quickly. I have trouble tearing myself away from this site to do things around the house I need to do. I'm working up the courage to put a few pics on here. I'll have to see if I can get some good photos then try to figure out how to do it. :)

Heather.

Archived