Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! How big is the finished afghan? I couldn't find measurements on the pattern site. I'd like to make this as a baby blanket for a friend due in January, but I want to try to figure out how many hexagons I'll need to make for a baby size. How big is each hexagon? Maybe that would be a better way for me to figure out my measurements...

I've only done one block and it measures 9" from pt to pt or 8" from flat side to flat side, with ww yarn. That's way big for a baby afghan, but you may have better luck with baby yarn. The blocks work up REAL quick, so if you have any baby yarn, even if it's the same color, make one up to see how you think it would be in size.

I've only done one block and it measures 8" from pt to pt or 7" from flat side to flat side, with ww yarn. That's way big for a baby afghan, but you may have better luck with baby yarn. The blocks work up REAL quick, so if you have any baby yarn, even if it's the same color, make one up to see how you think it would be in size.

What a great idea! I'll scrounge around for some baby yarn tonight and give it a whirl. Thanks!!

How are the afghans coming? I confess that I only add a round or two every few days. When I started this I made a block or 2 every day, and some days I amde 5 or 6. I'm now moving so slowly that my teenage daughter has offered to help me finish as she is tired of seeing it in a basket next to the sofa. I have started too many things and I want them all finished quickly, with the result that nothing much is getting done. I have been flitting from project to project. So starting today, everything is going into the closet until I finish the afghan. I have more than half the hexagons done, and I've even sewed a few rows together, so its getting there.

I have not been on for a while. My computer had to go in for repairs (almost 1 month!). I have been busy crocheting, just not on my snowfake afghan. I still have to sew all of the together! I will have it done by Christmas though!

Here's my first panel. This does work up very quickly.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/Around74/100_1038.jpg

I do hope this works up quickly. I told the kids and my dh that I thought we should handmake our Christmas gifts this year. So, obviously, I'm crocheting mine. My son wants a snowflake afghan and I had actually found this one and thought it was nice. I'm hoping it does work up rather quickly as I still have my dd's shell afghan to finish, my dh's afghan to join, and something for my 7 y/o son.

HOw fast does it work up? Any suggestions?

I have been very busy with the kids being in school and all the after school act. that I have not had the time to start this one yet I do have my yarn and everything now that the routine is in tact now I can get started. I am going to start today. The colors I am using is black and white. I will post pics as my progress goes.

I'm pretty much a beginner and it takes me 30-45 minutes to finish a hexagon, so I think its going pretty quickly. I would think a more experienced crocheter could do them faster. since the afghan is made in small parts it is easy to take along to work on at a game or just in the car.

I'm having a problem. For some reason I'm only get 5 sides, not six and I'm following the directions exactly. Anyone have that problem that can tell me what I'm doing wrong..????

Lisa--

From what I can see--I think the problem is when you are doing round 4. You are putting the stitches in the corners and I believe they go in between the corners (I am not at home and can't grab some yarn and a hook to tell for sure though). The corners are your ch 3 spaces and in between the corners are your ch 2 spaces. See if that helps. If not, when I get home tonight I will sit down and check for you.

I DID put them in the corners, not the ch2..........maybe that's what I did wrong.

Thanks a lot Miranda. I'll frog part of it and redo it and see what happens. I won't be able to tonight because my son is home and I don't want him to see but I'll try first thing in the morning.

Thanks again for the help.

Let me know if that fixes the problem. I will sit down tonight and work on a couple of these. Sorry to say--but somehow this project got pushed to the side. I need to start working on it again.

I think your problem starts before rnd 4 ( hard to tell w/ that varg. yarn) but looks like from the start you have only five spaces to work in --maybe you did only 5sc and then had only 10 dc in the next rnd?(there should be 6 [dc,ch2,dc] in rnd 2. And you do work in the ch-3 spaces, the corners. Excuse me butting in but thought that might help!

Here it is Miranda.............

th_100_0212.jpg

Quie often with a hexagonal patter (and other such) they will give the instructions

for the first situation- where you start using a ch 3 etc,

then they tell you to do four more in a different 'way'

and then they give you the final bit

so you end up with 6 bits all together.

you may be miscounting from that original row.

(Please don't ask me how i know this can happen)

Hello eveyone,

I started my snowflakes last night and I have two done so far, I had to redo the first about 5x till I got it, I to followed the directions but in my own way and they came out great. I have changed my colors from the previous post I will post pics soon.

Archived