Snowflake Afghan CAL

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Tabby

Yea, that was one easy afghan and really not that hard to put together either since the hex's were so big . I guess that's why I'd make another one, since the first wasn't so hard ! It turned out real nice too .

I don't know if the second will be quite as easy. I bought the RH Christmas yarn in the white with silver thread for the snowflake part and it is that crinkly-type yarn . I'm not real good at working with it ,but we shall see !:hook

I'm using a darker blue, almost navy. It's Bernat super value yarn.

I think I have 25 snowflakes done. I haven't been working too much on it lately, but it snowed here last night and today, so I'm kind of in the mood to finish it now.

Yea, it's coming that time of year, isn't it ? We had a few flakes here today too, but none on the ground yet. It's REALLY cold out though !

Good luck on your afghan and drop a picture when you get it done so we can see it . I bet it's really pretty !

JulieK, I keep asking this question, but no one knows, I guess. Now that you have this put together, maybe you know. I've been worried about these blocks because they are so holey, that it will be an attractive afghan, but not really warm to be under. If it's just attractive, but not all that warm, I'll just make a throw for the back of the couch, rather than make Christmas gifts out of it. I also made my block from RH Super Saver and it is very stiff, not like it would drape well against the body. That plus the holes, just leaves me in doubt about how warm it will work out to be for winter use, and it's a pattern that is not really suitable for lighter summer use!

Hi Cozy

Well, the holes in mine didn't seem too big -- they were noticeable, but not big enough that they would let in a lot of cold air I don't think. Also, the edging is solid, so that part is thick and warm . What size hook did you use and do you crochet loosely or tighter ?

Some people who crochet loosely, the items with holes are bigger and more stretchy .

It turned out to be big and thick and warm I thought . I used RedHeart for the blue part, but for the snowflake part I used Lion Brand Wool-ease which is a little thinner yarn than RH is . I thought that might be a problem, using 2 different thicknesses of yarn, but it didn't seem to matter much .

I would say it's definitely warm . Not thin and holey enough for warmer weather use .

Hope this helped !:)

mine turned out really warm, when i was putting the edging on my legs were sweating from being so warm, and it was chilly that day....mine is also very heavy and thick! love love love this afghan

I don't think I really know if I'm a tight or loose crocheter, because I'm pretty new at it. I just did a little years ago and have come back to it recently. I know I'm a tight knitter, and had to practice to not make my stitches so tight I could barely move them on the needles! Maybe if you look at my block you'll be able to tell if it's too loose looking. I have a pic on my blog on the current page, right at the top.

Hi Cozy

I just looked at your snowflake -- it looks really pretty ! I wouldn't say you were a loose crocheter at all, and not really super-tight. It looked just about right to me .:)

I really don't think the holes will be a problem since the majority of the afghan is in the blue and it is very good thick sturdy yarn .

Keep at it. I bet it's gonna be gorgeous when done !

I did a test motif back when this CAL began, and my hexagons came out to 8" across from side to side using a 'G' (4.25) hook and regular worsted weight (red heart) yarn.

What size hooks are other people using ww yarn using, and how big are your motifs coming out to?

I've got my yarn for my snowflake centers (RH holiday white), and need to figure out which blue to get to go with it. I will eventually get to do this afghan! :yay

I am using Jiffy in white and TLC charcoal heather for the border, using an "I" hook mine are coming out 10 in across (from the points) and about 9 the other way. I wish i used the same size yarn( the grey is thinner) cuz the edges are a bit wavy. They do flatten out, but I hope they don't look bad when i put them all togther. I really don't want to block this.

Karillia - my edges are warbly, too. I didn't know if that was my lack of experience so maybe by dc were too big which might make them take up too much room and wave. But you can't block synthetic fibers, it don't work. Maybe others will tell if their flake edges were wavy and if it mattered when sewn together.

Hi Guys

For those of you worrying about the edges being a little bit ruffly, they will probably work out just fine whene it is sewn together. There almost seemed to be a few too many stitches along the edges or something, making the hex's a little uneven looking along the sides, but once they are all put together, they look just fine .

Good luck ! :)

Thanks cozyhomelife, squish_52, Juliekay, and karillia! I'm glad to know that I did have the size about right.

Thanks also Juliekay for letting us know the wobbly edges are normal. I asked after doing my test block about that (way back when on a different thread), but nobody had responded.

Laura, I decided to try a flake from Jiffy last and was surprised at how hard it was to pull the yarn thru each stitch, as it clung to itself so badly. Are you finding any of that?

About the amounts, the instructions say:

32 oz. dark, 28 oz. light

So since the Jiffy page says there are 3 oz (2 1/2 variegated) I would make a guess that you will need at least 2 skeins more of the dark. It's reallly hard to look at the pics and guess at how the kitty hawk is coming off, but just for fun, I'll guess at looking at the violet to go with it. They are far apart on the page, which makes it harder to imagine together, also.

Cozy,

I was shocked to read thier discription of color for kitttyhawk. My bf foirmerly worked post production for films and is a color expert. He thought it was the color of cloud edges you know white and where the blue is just poking thru?

I've never seen it in person, but even the pic there seems to show a little purple and uh... trying to remember.... was it green? I wondered about how it looked as a snowflake, but your description sounds much different than the pic. Have you decided on the blue you will use? What about the question I asked? You had no difficulty working with the yarn? I didn't finish the one snowflake I tried because the yarn stuck to itself and it was hard for me to pull it thru. I mean, one would be ok, but 59 might have wigged me out to struggle with.

hi! I am also using the Jiffy in white for my flakes and don't have a problem with it. I am using an 'I' hook, if that makes a difference. I am using charcoal grey for the background, kinda wish i used something a bit more cheerful, seems a bit somber. I haven't sewn any together, so hopefully it will look better in one piece.

Archived