How many free online patterns have you collected?

I don't know if this question has been asked before. But there seems to be a reoccuring issue that most of us have. We tend to spend so much online (here at Crochetville and also surfing for patterns), that I thought it would be interesting to find out how many free online crochet patterns you all have collected. I personally have two big binders full of patterns and I still am on the lookout for more!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's an interesting question...

I have a 4" binder of printed patterns. But then I decided not to print patterns unless I was just about to make them, so I have three CDs full of patterns!!

I also have about 250 more patterns emailed to myself at my gmail account (which I just started a few months ago... most of these are the Annie's Attic dailies).

When I'm saving a pattern, I like to copy the text and pictures and post into a Word document. That way I can delete ads, and make sure I'm saving useful pictures.

I didn't realize I had such a case of ePAS (electronicPAS!) until you made me stop and think about it, Karin! Now I feel the need to organize them better, too :-P

I have a 1 inch binder full. I don't have much more bookmarked or saved to the hard drive. I'm trying not to. I've a long enough list without adding to it and yet I keep looking at magazines and books. LOL

I have nearly all of the Annie's freebies saved to my hard drive, not printed out.

I have a 4 inch (I think) binder full of patterns I tore out of magazines over the years.

I need to get another binder to put my freebie tear off sheets into.

I have four binders. I tried to put them into sections so it would be easy to find. I have found that it is just easier to go search for them again and print it/save it rather than try to look for it in the binder. I'm sure I have many duplicates too. There are just so many patterns out there that if it looks like I may use it some day, I print and or save it. Of course I will never use all I have printed or purchased in my lifetime. But then I'm sure most everyone here does too.

I have more than any person has any business having! :lol

I'm not sure about the exact number... but I have a bunch saved to my hard drive, some on a CD, and a binder with over 50 pages of patterns.

And that's not counting the patterns I lost when the hard drive on the desktop computer crashed!!!

Let's see...I've got a 3 in binder stuffed with patterns, then I've got at least 3 reams of paper's worth of patterns lose on my bookshelves...then there are the bookmarks...I've got multiple screen-lengths (like 10) of bookmarks under each of the following headings: patterns, tops, knit, pet, NC (to be completed before my trip later this month), and doll stuff....and then there's the files that I saved the last time I cleaned out all my bookmarks...there are probably about 400 patterns there on my hard drive....

I have a friend that I taught to crochet...she recently asked me if I'd made all the patterns in my binder...I said 'Of course not!' and then she said 'But you're still looking for more?' and I said 'OF COURSE!!!" LOL...she'll learn soon enough LOL!!

Jessie

I have no clue...I've pulled them off Project Linus, Lion Brand Yarn, Annie's Attic, and other sites. I have them all grouped together in my bookcase between the other crocheting books <g>.

I had four - 3 inch binders overflowing with patterns until I finally went and purchased a filing cabinet. I had to pay my daughter to file them all for me. It is much easier to find them and put them away now. I keep the cabinet near the computer. I also have three cds of various patterns plus the ones from AA in my email file. Everytime I see a pattern sheet at the store I grab one or two. I trade pattterns with others in some of the groups I belong to. You never know when someone will need a certain pattern :)

My name is Robin and I have numerous addictions...............but my hubby loves me anyways. At least he always knows where to find me!

Ok, I looked it up I now have :think:

• Two 2" binders of Fashion Doll Patterns

• One 1" binder of Baby Clothes & Afghan Patterns
  • One 1" Binder of Girls Clothes & Accessories (for girls size 6 to 12)

• One 1" binder of Kitchen Items
  • One 1" binder of Misc. Items
  • One 1" binder of Doilies

• 100 patterns saved on hard drive

• 30 patterns bookmarked (had about 300 but computer had to be wiped a couple weeks ago).

My goodness :eek, I am a pattern piggy! :rofl The funny thing is I very rarely ever use someone elses pattern. I just like collecting patterns. :rofl

Wow! You ladies have so many patterns, I thought I was bad!!!! But Thanks Katecrochets for the advice to burn them onto CD's!!!! I don't know why I never thought of that! So glad that I stumbled onto this thread!

A lot lol...I have 2 binders, & 2 cds of patterns. That doesn't count probably 100 patterns I have on the computer. I need to organize them because it's hard to find a particular pattern when I am looking for it.

No way could I count them!! They are saved in different folders, for example....... I have a Halloween folder...... then a sub folder for Crochet. I just need to figure out how to burn all my files on a CD before I lose em! I now have PDF Creator.......it saves to a pdf file. I was having to save the text in a file, then save the pics in file and omg if a pattern had more then one pic, meant more files lol

What a revelation!! Saving patterns onto CDs - never thought of that one! :clap

I've been collecting patterns online since about 1996. There wasn't much back then but if it was online, chances are I have it on my system. I guess that means I have 10 years worth of crochet/knitting patterns.

I'm not much of a paper-person. I keep everything on the computer and print it only when I need it.

Now my problem is to best organize 10 years worth of electronic patterns. I can't say I was the best at naming them properly when I originally saved them to the computer. I have so much now that I can't find what I need when I need it.

Help, I need an organizer. :hook

Cheryl.

That would be a neat part-time job - organizing patterns.

• 1 month later...

I know what you mean Cheryl. I've also been collecting on my hard drive since 1996 and my memory is about FULL! My husband suggested that I go through them and copy the ones I really like to WORD so that they can be organized and made search-able. I think it would be worth my while to do a few each day. That way it will only take me a YEAR!:lol

Oh my goodness...again, everytime I think I'm out of control with my stash of whatever (yarn, hooks, books, rubberstamps, whatever) there is always someone (or more than one someones) that top me...

Right now I have an overflowing 4" binder of patterns...several cd's of patterns from Vintage crochet.com. That's just from the internet...we won't go into the books, magazines, pamphlets and so on...more patterns that I will ever realistically make in my lifetime...even if I crocheted nonstop until I take my last breath!

Oh my, I had to look. I have 3 inch binders for 'crochet patterns 2004,' 2005, and half way through filling up 2006. That isn't including the one inch ones for afghans, dishcloths or 'free shop/yarn patterns.' I also have a pile saved to disc, on the hard drive and collect the 'interesting' ones I find elsewhere as well as making up my own...and I am still looking for new things! :eek

Is there something to do with crocheting that no one collects? (I know I collect patterns, yarn, fabric and hooks as a rule :s ) :hook:hook

I've been collecting patterns for over thirty years I started with binders but gave up after filling twenty four inch binders. I bought cardboard "dressers' each drawer for each category kitchen for one, bath for another,barbie children's clothes women's clothes household accessories......up to six dressers with four drawers each. and then their are the five filing cabinets full of booklets and stacks of magazines bookshelves full of books.....hubby says I collect patterns as well as yarn. My kids will be starting a web store when I die...they'll make a fortune!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I down loaded the entire Crochet Pattern Central website. Above and beyond that I always look for free patterns at craft shops and Wal-Mart. Also my sisters will buy any bundle of old crochet/knitting magazines and pattern books at flea markets and antique shops.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n25/paah-paah/

Archived