how about a plastic bag CAL?

Today someone sent me some more blue WalMart bags, already cut into strips, plus some bags. :clap (Well I got them today.) :P

And I asked my mom for all her bags, too. Woo Hoo!!

I think I'll have enough blue bags to actually make something with now, yay!!

Tina

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love your bag Cupcake! But then again I am partial to blues:manyheart , can't wait to see your next one!..My daughter just came back home from college with 100s of plastic bags! All different colors...she had half the dorm saving them for me!! (Tee Hee),I really like making these bags!

Thanks for all the nice comments. Here is my last one. This one is a bit random as I was experimenting with bread bags and Lincraft bags. The bread bag is the splash of hot pink in the bottom L. Such hard work on the hands that I could only tolerate to do one. The lavender grey are from Lincraft. It doesn't do much for me, only that I have decided that the grocery bags from woolworths are easier on the hands. For the Aussies the white/blue speckle are Spotlight bags and Crazy Clark bags.

img86833jp.jpg

And here is my next bag! (lol)

How cool is the orange? It is from the bottle shop.. My secretary has now started collecting these for me. I warned her not to start a drinking problem based on my plastic bag frenzie!

I also discovered a huge bag of computer tape to go out in the rubbish at work. It is a shiny black. When I do a sample I will show you whether this works. golly this is an obsession???

img86809ne.jpg

I was going through stuff in the basement and came across a box of videotapes - BetaMax - now there's an oldie but goodie.... I've heard folks talk about using cassette tape as yarn, and figure this would work, too. I was having the hardest time convincing myself to throw them out, and the idea of making them into something useful is quite exciting. Of course, I'll have to keep storing them :lol 'til then

Be warned, I tried the video tapes already and because the tapes where old I found the color was flaking off all over everything as I worked it and therefore it wasn't good at all :no I ended up throwing a whole box of VHS tapes in the garbage...please let us know how it goes with you, maybe my tapes where older than yours!! :hook

I was going through stuff in the basement and came across a box of videotapes - BetaMax - now there's an oldie but goodie.... I've heard folks talk about using cassette tape as yarn, and figure this would work, too. I was having the hardest time convincing myself to throw them out, and the idea of making them into something useful is quite exciting. Of course, I'll have to keep storing them :lol 'til then

Great job ladies!! ah ha..... another "obsessed" plastic yarn crocheter. Yeeeeeeeeehaw, now I won't feel so alone!!! LOLOL

I have crocheted a few more bag holders and am currently working on an order for a strawberry one. Will post a pic when its done.

Another great bag, Cupcake! I love all the different colors!!

I have to go shopping, as I am out of white WalMart bags already. :P I never thought that would happen, I had so many.

Debbie, I am partial to the blue bags, too. It seems like that is the only 'color' I can find. (Except the tan, which I do like, too.) That's why I wanted the blue WalMart bags. You know what I've noticed out here? The little bags peoples' newspapers come in are blue!! I saw a blue bag laying in someones' driveway the other day, no newspaper in it.... My neighbors would think I'm nutso if they saw me picking a blue bag out of someones' driveway, though! :lol

Tina

One of the ladies here at Crochetville told me there was a Crochet Along for the plastic bags. What a good idea! I'm in the process of cutting bags and when it looks like I have enough I will start my tote. Like many of you I have a lot of white bags but no colored ones.

I also saw this site at HGTV and there is a picture of a lady who crocheted a Skirt, Vest and Purse out of plastic bags!!! Photo shows her wearing the outfit (Figure D and you can click it to enlarge)! Wow. Here's the site if it's okay that I post it here:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_crochet/article/0,1789,HGTV_3260_4424124,00.html

One of the ladies here at Crochetville told me there was a Crochet Along for the plastic bags. What a good idea! I'm in the process of cutting bags and when it looks like I have enough I will start my tote. Like many of you I have a lot of white bags but no colored ones.

I also saw this site at HGTV and there is a picture of a lady who crocheted a Skirt, Vest and Purse out of plastic bags!!! Photo shows her wearing the outfit (Figure D and you can click it to enlarge)! Wow. Here's the site if it's okay that I post it here:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_crochet/article/0,1789,HGTV_3260_4424124,00.html

These two bags shown here look just like mine......the red and white or looks pinkish and white....I made one like that and sold it...it was made from those white bags with the red roses on them that you get in the asian stores. I bought a whole box from the store...hehehe Talk about addicted to plastic bags...I thought I was bad with yarn...

I'm almost finished with a large tote bag in blue, brown, black and white. It's taken over 100 bags so far. Will post when complete.

Linda :hook

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

That is SOOO cool! We aren't the only obsessed ones, CrazeeMoi!! That woman with the vest and skirt!!?? :eek Those bags/totes are so cool! Thanks for sharing that with us AuntyM, and welcome to the CAL! :hook

Tina

:lol I could pretend I'm just an environmentalist. (How do you pretend that?) Oh well... :P I guess I wouldn't be the 'weirdest' we have around here.... I see people riding their bikes in the alley behind my house, looking in peoples' garbage cans.. (I think they are homeless veterans, though). Or just homeless... :(

Tina

Tina,

Maybe your neighbors would have just thought you courteous and picking up some rubbish blowing around..... you could hope!

K

Cupcake, your multi-colored bag is great! Right now I'm collecting "like" bags, trying to get enough to make a bag or stripe. When I finish obsessing, I'll take all my leftovers and crochet one final project. If my mismatched bag looks half as good as yours, I'll be happy.

Linda- They are all so nice! I like the 'Bigger Straps' (with the red handle) one, and the peach (or tan?) and green one under 'four plastic bags', or something like that. Nice job!! I'm still plugging away on my white WalMart bag one.. Finally got some more bags so I should be able to finish it soon.

Tina

I found some blue Wal*Mart bags and eagerly set about cutting and connecting them. I was surprised that it turned out to be a realtively small ball. I jumped right into starting a rug (for outside the camper) with the intention of using another bag as the main color and the blue for an occasional stripe. But. . . I discovered that I didn't like it at all. The actual crocheting with the plastic, I mean. I ended up with blue dye on my fingers and just really didn't enjoy it. :no Disappointing because I was really looking forward to showing off a rug crocheted from plastic bags.

Linda- They are all so nice! I like the 'Bigger Straps' (with the red handle) one, and the peach (or tan?) and green one under 'four plastic bags', or something like that. Nice job!! I'm still plugging away on my white WalMart bag one.. Finally got some more bags so I should be able to finish it soon.

Tina

Thanks Tina...

What takes so much time is looping the loops together...my husband helps me...I cut up lots of bags and he loops...if he didn't help me it would take me a long time to create a bag.

I found some blue Wal*Mart bags and eagerly set about cutting and connecting them. I was surprised that it turned out to be a realtively small ball. I jumped right into starting a rug (for outside the camper) with the intention of using another bag as the main color and the blue for an occasional stripe. But. . . I discovered that I didn't like it at all. The actual crocheting with the plastic, I mean. I ended up with blue dye on my fingers and just really didn't enjoy it. :no Disappointing because I was really looking forward to showing off a rug crocheted from plastic bags.

Maybe if you put some hand lotion on before crocheting the color of the bag won't come off on your hands....

I find grocery bags and Walmart bags are very easy to crochet with...it's the designer bags, the really thick ones that I don't even use...just too hard on my hands.

has anyone seen the new sheetz bags? they come in light blue, bright green and brilliant red...so pretty

Really? We don't have a Sheetz here but my sister works at one in the eastern part of the state.

I have never seen or heard of Sheetz here. :think

I finished another plastic bag tote bag, though! I really like this one. I want to keep it for myself. (I made it for my mom, though.) It's all out of white WalMart bags.

th_Picture947.jpg

(Clickable Image)

Now I want to do a blue and white striped one.

Tina

I have never seen or heard of Sheetz here. :think

I finished another plastic bag tote bag, though! I really like this one. I want to keep it for myself. (I made it for my mom, though.) It's all out of white WalMart bags.

th_Picture947.jpg

(Clickable Image)

Now I want to do a blue and white striped one.

Tina

Hi Tina, Sheetz is a large convenience store, a great place to stop when your're traveling, open all night. :)

Hi Barbara-

I have never seen one. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough. :lol (Now I'll have to Google and see if we have them here in Colorado so I can maybe get some of their bags.... :P )

Looks like they're on the East Coast, mainly... Virginia, Pennsylvania... Oh well.

Thanks Barbara Jean! :)

Maria-

They are addictive! I have another one in progress,but I don't like how it's turning out so I am going to frog it and start over. :P

Tina

Archived