how about a plastic bag CAL?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee hee_ I just went to your thread about your plastic bag purses and said, 'Did anyone see this CAL?', Linda. And you were posting here, meanwhile. :lol I would like to join, too. I am going to get the rest of my stuff out of storage this weekend, and a plastic bag tote in progress is one of the things in storage. (And a huge bag full of plastic bags.) I'm going to call my mom and see what color bags she has, that she can give me, too. :P

Tina

Marlo's Crochet Corner has instructions on how to cut the plastic bags into strips, and crochet with them. She also has a couple plastic bag purse patterns. (Scroll down to purses, it's under there.)

I've been looking around on the web for more info about crocheting with plastic bags. I went to google and typed in crocheting with plastic bags. I saved the links to a word document but I can't copy and paste the links here I don't know why. I'm thinking that I might do an angel in plastic bags. I'm not sure yet.

I'm in too....I've already started a bag with Home Depot bags plus an orange bag, a dk pink bag and a light pink bag...then I think I'll go back to the home depot bags to finish it. It's looking pretty hot!

Do we just start this Cal and then show the finished product? I've never done one of these before...then ask questions of each other if anyone has any questions?

thanks

Linda Ü

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

Hi Linda, just join the CAL. Let us know about your progress, any difficulties, etc. We're just all here to have fun and encourage each other. I found a picture on the internet of someone that crocheted sandals out of plastic bags. I tried to post the link but I can't get it to work. I don't know whats wrong with me today.

I've never done a CAL, but I'm game! My biggest problem is trying to find colored bags :think

My Wal*Mart discontinued blue bags, and everywhere else has white with a very little bit of color stamped.

I have a bag started, but I need to make twice as much more "yarn" to finish it up.

Funny story about my project:

My (generally incredibly supportive of crocheting) husband asked what I was going to crochet (once I convinced him you could, in fact, crochet with plastic bags), and I told him about the market bag I envisioned for my eco-friendly buddy now living abroad.

"Let me get this straight," my husband said, "You need all of these plastic grocery bags so that you can fold them, cut them, connect them, ball them, crochet with them to make... a plastic grocery bag."

Well, sure, it sounds a little crazy when you say it THAT way!

Yeah, but at least it's 'free' yarn! :lol And, you're recycling.

Sounds like something my husband would say, too. I always tell him, 'You complain about spending money, but every time I want to do something 'free', you don't want to do that either...' (Like look for cool rocks on the beach, or crochet plastic bags into a crocheted plastic bag...) :D

Tina

I've never done a CAL, but I'm game! My biggest problem is trying to find colored bags :think

My Wal*Mart discontinued blue bags, and everywhere else has white with a very little bit of color stamped.

I have a bag started, but I need to make twice as much more "yarn" to finish it up.

Funny story about my project:

My (generally incredibly supportive of crocheting) husband asked what I was going to crochet (once I convinced him you could, in fact, crochet with plastic bags), and I told him about the market bag I envisioned for my eco-friendly buddy now living abroad.

"Let me get this straight," my husband said, "You need all of these plastic grocery bags so that you can fold them, cut them, connect them, ball them, crochet with them to make... a plastic grocery bag."

Well, sure, it sounds a little crazy when you say it THAT way!

I want to try making one too. I was thinking just a couple of colors but I googled this and it looks kinda like those recycled silk yarns. I'd like to make a tote to take to farmer's markets but am worried I won't finish it if it's too big.

I am in too I just started cutting up bags, one of the Doctors at the hospital where my sister works seen the one I did and wants me to make her one. So I have everyone i know saving bags.

I'd like to join in on this one as well! I started saving bags before Christmas last year and cut up quite a few, I just didn't know how many you would need to do a medium-ish sized tote bag.

I think I saw a link to how to make the 'yarn' and a tote bag pattern on the cpc site, I will probably try that one. I think I saw somewhere too that it's best to use 'old' hooks, as the dye from the bags gets on them, is that true?

Is there a specific date when you want to start? Or is it just join in whenever?

You don't really need a color scheme just use the bags you have around the house to make your first one....then after that start looking for different colors of bags when you go shopping........That's how I got started. Raid your friends houses...hahaha just say "do you keep your plastic bags?" :blush:lol

Linda

Hey there....

I just finished another plastic bag....this one is a Surprise for Ava's birthday...hahaha won't be a surprise when she reads this though...hahahaha It's made out of home depot bags and three different pink bags from Asian stores...turned out pretty cool... check it out

I'm starting another one right now it's froms bags that are white with red flowers on them....

this is fun....

Linda :hook

I'm starting another one right now it's froms bags that are white with red flowers on them....

this is fun....

Linda :hook

Hey Linda where all do you find your bags you seen to find so many different colors

I've cut up every plastic bag that I own. I MUST go shopping tomorrow. I'll get groceries but only because I need the bags! I only have the white bags too. No yellow or blue or red. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I've decided that I'm going to do two projects. The first one is a throw rug for my laundry room. The second is an angel. The pattern calls for it to be made out of thread. So it will be interesting to see how big it turns out. I thought I would put it outside my front door at Christmas time. Keep crocheting everyone! :)

How many bags roughly to make a decent ball of "wool"? Ive spent all arvo cutting and conecting, its about the width and hieght of my 2 fists next to each other. i want to make a tote like bag - similar to lindas brown one (except I only have yucky white bags and a couple of blue)

Archived