how about a plastic bag CAL?

It takes about 50 to 60 bags depending on how big or small you cut the strips....I make my strips about 3/4 of an inch.

I use a plastic 'K' hook. I chain about 32 to 34 stitches...single crochet across the beginning chain then increase 3 stitches on end and continue on the opposite side of the chain to the end put 3 stitches in the end and continue single crocheting around and around (do not join) add colors when you want...if you want the bag wider continue to increase on the ends of the bag when you've reached how wide you want it stop increasing and continue crocheting. I usually just increase on the first row on my bags.

For the handles...I eyeball it. Crochet to where you think the start of the handle should be then chain about 30 stitches skip about 10 stitches and connect to the purse.. If you eye ball it thru trial and error you'll see what I mean. Then do the same on the opposite side or just lay the bag flat and match to other side. Crochet two more rounds and crochet into the handle...thats it.

I've almost finished a white bag with red writing..looks like a peppermint to me...I post when finished.

enjoy and start crocheting...

You can always do the same thing but make it round start like you would for a circle granny.

Linda :hook

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have so many bags to use I should get in on this one.....I hope everyone will post pictures...I would love to see other than purses made so that I could be inspired to make something exciting with my bags.:hook

A suggestion for the ladies who only have white bags.... think plastic bags!! bags from frozen foods (yes, wash out really well), bags from pads, toilet paper and paper towels. These type of bags are usually thick, just dont cut them as wide as your grocery bags! Hope this helps you!

My lighted, animated deer where stolen the night I placed them out during the Christmas holidays. :cry

Since then, I've thought :think about trying to crochet deer made from plastic bags. That way, the deer would live through the rain and snow, and be less costly to replace.

Has anyone ever done this? Could this type of plastic bag project hold up in the weather? :yes / :no TIA

I don't know for a fact but I would think that the plastic bags would be fairly durable outside.

I called my mom in Pennsylvania (I'm in Arizona) and asked her if she had any colored plastic bags. She doesn't right now but she said Foodland uses orange bags around Halloween and that she used to have some blue bags. Who would ever have thought that I would look forward to getting plastic bags in the mail. Are we all completely crazy about crocheting or what!! :yes

I know I'm crazy about crocheting....my cousin emailed me from Georgia and said she has a tons of brown bags for me....I never thought plastic bags would get me this excited either!!! hahahahahaa :lol :lol :lol

ps...

I'll be posting another plastic bag in a few minutes...the bags I used were white with red roses on them...the way the bag turned out sort of reminds me of a peppermint candy...

Point of frustration....I started my tote bag last night while watching tv and during the Desperate Housewives season finale I not only ran out of bags, but our cable went out about 15-20 minutes before the end of the show! So now I have to wait until we grocery shop to get more bags, and I have no idea what went on in the show! :lol I'm more upset about the bags really, I only watched one or two of the episodes this season...

My bag is a little more than 1/2 done...one thing I noticed, and it could be just me, but the side of my thumb hurts, either from the pressure while crocheting or the fact that the hook I'm using has no indentation on it...I can't decide which. I did notice that sometimes I have to put more pressure on the hook than I would with regular "yarn" type yarn...anyone else have this problem?

I'm planning on making a rug for near the litter box. I used to have one in canada and they are great cuz the litter falls thru and stays put. I did have a little fun with it however, had to do a 'test' swatch and I had tried twisting the 'yarn' while winding it, made a nice little pot scrubber that way :D

My hubby thinks crocheting with plastic bags is cool, it's lightweight, waterproof and free. I laughingly suggested I could make a little rain jacket and he thought that was a great idea.

I started crocheting my bag last night and after a few plastic bags my hand hurt too. I switched to a smaller hook and started to work much looser and that helped a little, the plastic doesn't pull through as easily as yarn so it takes some getting used to. Will this build up my hand muscles? I cut as I go to give my hand a break, just the thought of cutting up 50 bags would make me give up.

I save bags for months...then I cut them up and put in baggies. My husband and I then spend about a week after work looping them and making balls of yarn...hahaha Then and only then will I start a purse. I hate running out of yarn. I can make about 5 purses in a row, then have to take a break for a while.

Hey all!

I found a stash of bags in my utility closet, so I was able to finish my tote bag! I used the pattern on the cpc site, but changed it a wee bit. I used bags from our local grocery store only, and a 9.00 mm (m/n) hook. In future I can see myself saving coloured bags from here and there and trying new combinations :D Anyway, without further ado:

plastique.jpg

This is my first attempt at crocheting with plastic bags. I took the picture outside on our front lawn :lol Thanks for looking and hope everybody's projects are coming along well!

Your bag looks great Kiki! :clap I better get a move on it. I started to crochet with my plastic bags today. I'm trying to make a throw rug for my laundry room. Its going well. But I didn't realize how many bags it would take. I can see this CAL taking awhile as I need to accumulate more bags. I'll have to ask the cashiers at the grocery store to put only in one item per bag :blush , oh, and to double bag the milk.

Since then, I've thought :think about trying to crochet deer made from plastic bags. That way, the deer would live through the rain and snow, and be less costly to replace.

Well, golly, isn't that an interesting idea! I'd love to hear more about how you envison those deer!

Great bag Kiki I hope mine comes out as nice.

Linda your bags are fantastic I am in love with the white with blue and the bright blue top. I think my next one I will try those colors I think somewhere i have some goodwill bags i saved.

Thanks all for the lovely compliments! :blush I daresay I was a little bit skeptical before I started at how the bag would turn out, but once I got going I really liked how all the colours were looking.

I can see bag saving becoming an obsession for a lot of us! :lol

First-time poster here:

How long does a CAL go for and how does it work? I have a bunch of bags that I want to crochet up both to make more plastic bags for myself (I've made one already) and to make a few as presents, but I'm trying to save them until it's pool weather. My apartment complex has a pool and my grand plan for some of the sunny weekend afternoons this summer is to float in the pool in a little floaty-chair and crochet with plastic bags. We'll see how that works.

My contributions to this thread:

1) Check out the link at: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/beachbag.html I haven't tried the pattern, but I've tried joining bag loops using the method described (starting with looping all the loops over your arm) and I found it very fast and easy.

2) Besides getting friends to save bags, check to see if any of your local grocery stores have a collection bin for recycling plastic bags. You can swipe bunches of bags out of those. This is especially handy if you, like me, are trying to reduce your consumption of plastic bags. This way I can reuse bags when I shop without worrying about running out of bags to crochet with. :-) (Though between my old bags and the bags I got from my friends, I have enough bag stash to last me for some time.)

My mother has saving the colorful bags their newspapers come in for me... I need to bug her to send them to me. I also want to try making a bag out of clear plastic bags, and I figure that the huge bag I got back when I dry cleaned my oversized queen comforter should be a good start. I wonder if there's anyone at work I could beg some more dry cleaning bags from...?

What a great idea!! Guess I'm going to have to post more messages so that I can join in next time around! I'll be watching from the sidelines to see all the beautiful things you guys make!!

artemis: rugs to catch kitty litter out of plastic bags work really great, the litter kinda falls thru the rug and stays put instead of being 'everywhere'. I was planning on making one again but I have a more urgent need.... I need a small rug for the entrance to our tent when we go camping next weekend.

Also, I had a great idea for winding up the plastic bags, I used a TOILET PAPER roll as a spool and that worked great. hehehehe

I use the loop to loop method of joining the plastic bags...plus my husband helps me. Then when I have enough made I start making my purses...

I was thinking of making throw rugs for in front of the washer and dryer. I was told the more you wash these rugs made from plastic bags the softer they get. Don't put them in your dryer...YIKES!!!

Linda

ps...found a bag used to cover dresses, it's huge and sort of a taupe color. Should turn out pretty.

Hey Linda I'm making a rug for in front of my washer and dryer. I'm using a pattern from a Leisure Arts leaflet (#2800) called Bag Rugs Book 2. I'm doing a "shag" rug. You have to make a long loop and then you cut the loop to make it shaggy looking. I was a little scared to cut the loops because I was afraid that they would just pull out then. I did notice one area that the "yarn" had come undone and was making a hole. I was able to tie the hole up but now I'm getting a little nervous. What if I make this rug, use it for awhile, put it in the washer to clean, open the washer door, and find fifty million little two-inch pieces of plastic bags?? :eek :eek :eek

Archived