how about a plastic bag CAL?

I don't think I'd use plastic bags to do that pattern. I would do a plain single crochet stitch or a double crochet stitch. They would hold up better.

On a shag rug you'd be better off using rug yarn or two strands of regular 4 ply held together.

Linda :hook

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well team here is my finished bag. As a first attempt I think it turned out ok. I used the spiral cut technique and then knotted the ends to get a continuous thread. I was impressed at how the colours turned out as I didnt realise how pretty the blue was. They are not from the same dye lot :lol so there are some slight variations. The bags are from out Woolworths Supermarket. I had fun doing this.

Thanks for putting me onto this!

img78978sz.jpg

Also, I had a great idea for winding up the plastic bags, I used a TOILET PAPER roll as a spool and that worked great. hehehehe

When I made my plastic-bag shopping bag I cut the plastic bags by the fold and snip method where you then cut a diagonal between the slits. I found that I then did not have to roll the "yarn" into a ball. I just started at one end and opened out the bag as I went along. When I finished that bag, I just tied on the next one and kept going. It seemed to save a step in a rather tedious process.

I've been lurking on this CAL for a while and I must say this is all the Buzzzzz! Reminds me of my granddaughter's first Halloween costume, you guessed it, she was a bumble bee.

CrazeeMoi I love the bees, now that's what I wanted to see to inspire me to make something special with my bags......:bee

Cupcake I love the bag you made, those bags are the greatest color, I love, love, love it :manyheart

Crochetingfool I love the idea of making throw rugs with plastic too, and if they get softer when washed, that's the thing to do with them, let us know how they turn out!!

I just got all my stuff out of storage from Michigan. I found my plastic bag tote I had about half way done, plus two big bags of the blue WalMart bags (they discontinued the blue where we are, I couldn't find any anywhere; but I had some saved, that I was hoping I didn't throw away! Woo Hoo!!!) And, my mom had about thirty tan Kroger bags to add to my twenty five, so I might have enough to do something with there, too!! Yay!!! :yay

Tina

one thing I noticed, and it could be just me, but the side of my thumb hurts, either from the pressure while crocheting or the fact that the hook I'm using has no indentation on it...I can't decide which. I did notice that sometimes I have to put more pressure on the hook than I would with regular "yarn" type yarn...anyone else have this problem?

I have noticed that crocheting with plastic bags is really hard on my hands for some reason. I don't know why, but... Yes, it hurts my hands and no, it is not just you... :) And, your bag turned out great, Kiki! What store do you go to, to get those bags?

I love your bee bags, too, Crazee Moi!! :clap

Tina

Wow some people are already done and I'm just starting! I'm going to make the tote from Marlo's web site. This one will probably take me quite awhile, because I'm not going to take it to work with me; I just know I would get sick of explaining it every time someone walked in the break room :lol

Tina, Glad you like my bag! :D Our local grocery store here, which I think only has locations Ontario, has grocery bags that are white with orange, navy and green accents in them, so it gave a neat speckled effect. And my thumb (and middle finger, too!) hurt for a couple of days after I finished my bag...but of course it didn't stop my crocheting! :laughroll

Crazeemoi, Your bee bags are adorable!! :clap

Monkeegroupies, I laughed when I read about your having to explain at work...about 100 years ago when I started crocheting, a much wiser and more experienced crocheting lady I worked with told me about crocheting with plastic bags, and I must admit back then I thought it was a little kooky, but now of course I've seen what can be done with them and think it's great :D

Hi Barbara Jean, I'm actually crocheting a throw rug but alot of people are doing totebags. There are some free patterns on the internet. I haven't done any more work on my rug. I usually crochet very early in the morning before my girls are up. Crocheting with the plastic bags is a little noisy. But I'll need to find the time during the day because I'm anxious to get started again.

Hi Barbara Jean!! :hi That is where I learned how to crochet with plastic bags, from Marlos Crochet Corner. I am making the Round Plastic Bag Tote from her site right now. Welcome to this CAL! :hook

Tina

Hi Barbara Jean!! :hi That is where I learned how to crochet with plastic bags, from Marlos Crochet Corner. I am making the Round Plastic Bag Tote from her site right now. Welcome to this CAL! :hook

Tina

Thanks, I just checked and I still have some of Wal*Mart's blue bags. :clap

Archived