how about a plastic bag CAL?

Well here are my first 3 bags i am hooked on this i have another one almost done and more planned. My sister laid claims to the one with the white handles and the other 2 went to the doctors where my sister works. Sorry the pics are not real good.

th_000_1003.jpgth_000_1002.jpgth_000_0999.jpg

Marnie...

I'm glad I'm not alone in my addiction! I have PBOCD (plastic bag obsessive compulsive disorder) and have had it for well over 2 years now....hahahaha

These bags look great!!!

:hook Linda Ü

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Linda now i know i have PBOCD lol here is my new one the white are meijer bags and the red is a garbage bag the local schools sell that say drugs are trash it really turned out nice th_100_0469.jpg

Tina the other bags are made with meijer white bags and tan kroger bags.

Hi Crazee and Kate. Thanks for getting me back to my project. I cut a whole bunch of Walmart bags and just put all the strips in a ziplock. As I was cutting, I was wondering "Should I loop three plain white loops and then a printed loop?" (so the black would be evenly dispersed). My thought was that it would look tweedy but I didn't want blotches of the black. It sounded like a math problem to figure out the ratio between white and printed loops!

Kate, I like your idea of just looping "like" colors. I would have lots of solid white and a smaller ball of black and white. I also cut up some bags from Sprouts, which are mostly white wiith kelly green and black lettering, and I put them in a separate ziplock. I could combine the white with Walmart, then start another ball of green and black. By golly, I think I have a plan! Thank you, ladies, for giving me something to think about!

PS I "hid" a bunch of Joann's bags .........they have pretty pink and green lettering.

Marnie, I love the look of the red stripe in your totebags. I talked to my mother in Pennsylvania today. She hasn't found any different colored bags for me yet. All I have here are white or tan. She keeps promising me that Foodland will have bright orange ones around the time of Halloween. I don't think I can wait that long!:eek

Maybe I'm being too picky, but when I'm linking my loops together, it seems like half of them are coming out uneven. Meaning, that one side of the loop is straight, and the other kinda hangs down. I'm trying really, really hard to loop them in the dead center each time, but I'm still getting this problem. Is that going to be an issue when I start crocheting them?

Also, I still can't find the directions for the other way to cut bags...on the diagonal (spiral?). Is that easier than making these loops? TIA!

Maybe I'm being too picky, but when I'm linking my loops together, it seems like half of them are coming out uneven. Meaning, that one side of the loop is straight, and the other kinda hangs down. I'm trying really, really hard to loop them in the dead center each time, but I'm still getting this problem. Is that going to be an issue when I start crocheting them?

Short answer? Yes.

I've experienced exactly what you're talking about, and if there is a large difference in lengths per side (big hang down) it can make your piece bumpy (er) or have little loops sticking out (little).

What I have done, to help with "link sag", is develop what I call the "pinch method". I pull out the last link of the "done" yarn so that each side is even. Then I pinch it, about 1 inch back, so that there is a small loop between my fingers and the end just large enough to insert the next link. I connect the next loop to the pinched loop, and then repeat!

You still end up with a tiny bit of a sag, but it's barely noticable :)

I've noticed this too. I *think* it happens when you connect the strips, somehow. I've had to take it apart and straighten it out again a couple of times. But it helps to know how to crochet with it when it happens, too. Thanks KateCrochets.

Tina

Hi, I made one of these bags a couple months ago and everyone thought I was crazy:no until they saw it in person.... my mom came for a visit and ended up taking it home with her:lol. I have a bunch of fred meyer tan and black bags cut and balled already, so I guess that is the color I will use:hook I am hoping it will look kind of like tweed :think what do you think?

Also i'm having some trouble getting the bags to slide through my fingers, maybe i should change how i normally hold yarn? I dont know, help please

becca I did notice before that I couldn't get it to slide through my fingers either so I wrapped it around my whole hand loosely instead. This worked for me give it a try:yes :no

Photojenic, if Kate's "pinch method" doesn't work for you, try this.......put the new loop through loosely, in your left hand hold onto the knot from the last loop, then tighten the new loop by slowing pulling with your right hand.

This seems to help "center" the new knot so each side is equal in length.

I've been looping and crochet on and off today so the technique is fresh in my head. Good luck!

I had the dreaded sag as well - As I wasnt expecting this bag to beperfect I just layed the slack tight so it overhanged on my next bit of "wool" and kept going - you cant tell where the sag bits were - well at least I cant anyway.

Has anyones elses upper arm been sore - a bit like after you have been working out? The one thats holding the wool? Or am I just a freak of nature? Its only while doing this its happening.

and I finally worked out how to hold the wool so it went through easily - normally I loop it twice over my bottom finget then up and through the middle and the one next to the thumb - but Ive found by only looping it once a bit looser it has worked miracles.

hey do you guys think that black trash bags would work for this? like I said earlier the fred meyer bags are tan with black words so I was thinking that the black trash bags would make a great accent strip. what do you think?

hey do you guys think that black trash bags would work for this? like I said earlier the fred meyer bags are tan with black words so I was thinking that the black trash bags would make a great accent strip. what do you think?

Meadowlake23..... I used red trash bags for the red and white one i made i just cut the strips thinner because the trash bags are a heavier plastic then the meijer bags i used

th_100_0469.jpg

Ok Linda now i know i have PBOCD lol here is my new one the white are meijer bags and the red is a garbage bag the local schools sell that say drugs are trash it really turned out nice th_100_0469.jpg

I love it! Turned out great! I was looking was in my yarn room searching for more bags I stashed a while back and found some yellow bags...I'm so excited!!!

Linda :hook

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

becca I did notice before that I couldn't get it to slide through my fingers either so I wrapped it around my whole hand loosely instead. This worked for me give it a try:yes :no

i will give it a try and see if it helps, i haven't tried lotion yet cause i cant wear it sometimes but thanks :)

Well I finally finished my tote bag (thanks again, to the person who sent me the blue WalMart bags :D ) I realized on the last two rounds that I messed up the pattern. But, I was almost done and don't really care. This bag is for my mom. (Maybe she won't notice how I messed up, since she doesn't crochet.) :P I have another one started (different pattern though.) Has anyone else noticed the different colors of the Wal Mart bags? Some are white, some are kind of grey, and some have a blueish tint (like they mixed the white and blue bags to recycle them). Why do they have to make life more difficult? :lol

Anyway here is my tote bag, done. :clap

th_Picture875.jpg

(Image clickable)

Tina

I am using Walmart bags, white with black print so I did use a black trash bag (heavy, yard & leaf type) to make a black stripe. I just did one DC round of black. It was harder to work with but it looks fine. I was glad to go back to working with the grocery bags when the stripe was finished.

Thanks for the compliments. I don't know how big it's *supposed* to be, but mine ended up with a base of 10.5", and about 13" wide, 9" tall. I sc'd when I started the blue stripe. (It has been about a year and a half since I worked on this thing so I don't know what I was thinking.) I should have been hdc-ing. So it would have been taller, had I been doing it right. :P

Tina

Tina, that looks G R E A T ! What are the measurements? I think mine is too big. I was thinking tote bag but yours looks more like a purse and I love it!

Oh, drats! Mine is 16-17 inches wide. I started with 34 chains, but did an extra round on the bottom so it would open and not be too flat. Now I've decreased a few stitches on the top to pull it in. It's 9 1/2 tall so I'm adding the handle right now. Think I'll make it a little longer to go over my shoulder.

Thanks for the tip, Crazee. I cut the black about the same as the grocery bags but only used one thickness. Guess I'm learning a lot about crocheting plastic bags.

well here is the little one I whipped up yesterday afternoon... it is about 8" wide and 9.5" tall (not including the handles) I hope you like it:D the trash bags worked great!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e176/meadowlake23/P1010116.jpg I will have to make another one :hook maybe I should have layed it out flater for the picture... i swear it isn't all bumpy on the bottom

Archived