how about a plastic bag CAL?

th_plasticbag.jpg

After lots of cutting, lots of starting, and lots of hand cramping... I've actually finished a bag! It's a mini-tote (purse size). I'm sorry the picture didn't come out better, and will try to get a better one when it gets back (I started Thursday, finished Friday, and entered it Saturday in the VA State Fair in the Trash to Treasures (Misc) category). I used birthday party tablecloths in purple, yellow, and balloon print - and a lot of lotion on the hook!!! There is more at my blog (perma-link to entry) (and the picture is bigger)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much!

I won't know for about a week and a half how I did. I'm going to the fair on October 5th for the speed crochet contest and a day of fried candy bars for hubby, pig races for daughter, and a few acres of arts, crafts, and displays for me :U

Oh I wish I would have found Crochetville months ago! I started cutting up and crocheting my plastic bags about six months ago - and of course never finished. You are all so lucky to have bags locally that are other colors - around here the only thing you can get is white and tan. BUT that can make a decent bag. I'm thinking of starting over - my plan is to make a bag to put plastic bags in - so they're not all over my kitchen and I don't have to feel guilty about throwing them away. Thanks for the renewed inspiration, everyone!!!:clap

Gretchen, one of the best tips I learned was that plastic crochet isn't just grocery bags. You can add in a little bit of color, but mainly use up your tan and white bags, by using other sources for accent colors. The red flags you get at Home Depot for long loads. The plastic tablecloths you use at birthday parties (and can get at the $ store and come in tons and tons of colors). Black plastic trash bags. Just a little bit of color can make the project less "endless" while crocheting, and really really cute when you're done :U

Don't forget a little bit of lotion on your hook - I thought it sounded weird until I tried it and it made SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE!! :U And welcome!

this is an ongoing CAL also...... think.... the bags pads come in too. They are thicker so dont cut them as wide as the grocery bags. When you have the time..... read all the posts. More ideas for bags are there plus how to cut them. Good Luck!! I have been making the bag holders. Its really easy....... the way I do it that is.

I was sorry to see that this CAL had sort of run it's course; glad to see that I was wrong! I am making some shopping totes as holiday gifts for my kids' teachers! Will post some photos in a while..........

I've been trying to stash any bag I can find to give this a try. I have so many ideas of things I would like to try to make. Like a pumpkin for fall, and an angel or snowman for Christmas, and of couse these beautiful bags you guys have made. Time, I need more Time. Along with my other WIPs/UFOs I don't know when I'll be able to give this a try.:think

I have a question and I wasn't sure whether to post it here or in the help section, but I thought everyone working on plastic would be here. I'm trying to figure out how to make a handbag. A few of us at work are trying to work it out, but I'm having a harder time. I looked at Marlo's website and sliced my bags, made my yarn and started crocheting, but it looks very large, as opposed to what everyone else's looks like.

I've got about 10 rounds done, and each individual stitch is about 1 by 3/4 of an inch. So far, the purse is about 16 inches wide. It looks like half of the Titanic, when I sit it upright. I'm doing the bag on her site, with all the HDC.

Is there a pattern somewhere that I can use that calls for maybe a smaller needle with SC or DC? Maybe that will make it look okay.

Marlo's Crochet Corner is an awesome resource - such great pictures and patterns for starting plastic bag crochet.

But you can use pretty much any pattern for crocheting with plastic bag "yarn", and any hook, so long as it fits the width of bag you cut. I have cut some bags very skinny - about 1/4" - and used an H hook. I have used 2" wide strips and a Q hook.

The "pattern" I used for my bag at the top is pretty simple, and adaptable. Basically, using single crochets: Chain 11. Sc in each 2nd from hook and each across (10 sc). Ch 1, turn, sc in each across (10 sc). Repeat for 15 rows total. Slip stitch in the end of each row and each stitch of both ends (50 slip stitches). Ch 1, sc in each slip stitch, slip stitch in first sc. Work in rounds of SC until desired height. Handle rows(HRs):HR1: ch 1, sc in first 14 stitches, *chain 20, skip 7 stitches*, sc in next 18 sc, repeat * to *, sc in remaining stitches, slip stitch to first sc. HR2:Ch1, sc in each stitch and chain around, join with slip stitch to first sc (76 sc). HR3: chain 1, sc in same stitch and next 12 stitches, *work SC decrease over 3 stitches, sc in next 18 stitches, work sc decrease over 3 stitches*, sc in next 14 stitches, repeat * to *, sc in last 2 stitches and join with slip stitch to first sc (68 stitches).

I did a row of reverse sc across the final row, just for finishing. You can make this bag any size (you flip it inside out at the end), just make the bottom rectangle bigger or smaller, and adjust the handles as you see fit.

Email or PM me if this is a little unclear and you actually wanted to use it. I'm going from memory.

• 1 month later...

HELLO I am new to this. Just got the internet and have been looking up crochet plastic bags. I was looking to see what other designs is out there. I am glad I ran into this page. I became a member yesterday and I really look forward to give some of you advice and I hope you can do the same for me. If your hands hurt try cuting the strips about one inch, if your not already, and on some crafts use double crochet, this is what I do my mother cuts hers two inches and I tried that some years ago and didn't like it and gave up. But I tried again about two years ago and that's is all I am crocheting with now is plastic. A tip that my mother does to help the needle though the stiches is vasoline or lipblam, she likes that better it's in a stick and no messy fingers, I rub the hook on my nose and the oils on my face help me, this usally happens when crocheting with trash bags because of the shine. Like to hear from you all.

• 4 months later...

Other than plastic bags, do you know that you can use vhs and cassette tapes too? It's plastic too. I have started a blog encouraging others to use waste material to create crafts. The link to this information can be found at this link:

http://greenbeingnancy.blogspot.com/2007/03/vhs-and-cassette-tapes-before-you-chuck.html

I use plastic bags in my creation too. When I cut them, I am not particular about the width it will turn out as I just cut both ends off. Divide each strip into half to cut and divide half to cut again until I am satisfied with the width. I think that should make your work more interesting and unique from the others.

I have a solution for getting colours on your plastic bags. If you know someone who is painting house, pass them some of your plastic bags and ask them to clean their excess paint off their brushes on your bag. A splash here and there should make the plastic bag interesting. What do you think? Will acrylic paint stays on plastic? I will give it a try and let you know.

Check out how crafty I am with things plastic.

http://greenbeingnancy.blogspot.com/...row-check.html

http://greenbeings.netfirms.com/samples.htm

I'm in!

I've never done this before.. someone tell me what i need. How many bags will this take? How wide to you cut the strips? How do you join the strips? I need a pattern suggestion.

Hugs !! Thanks !!

• 1 month later...

You can find some free tutorials and ideas at this link:

http://greenbeingnancy.blogspot.com/2007/03/vhs-and-cassette-tapes-before-you-chuck.html

Also, I found out from my friend that acrylic paint stays on plastic bags. So, if you want some colours for your bags, go find someone who paint with acrylic paint and have them clear the excess paint off their brush on the bags.

I have also used raffia strings, that come with the carton of eggs, I purchased to crochet. I have not completed the piece as I ran out of strings. Will post picture when done.

Happy croeating.

Archived