how about a plastic bag CAL?

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.....First off, the black bags are just some smallish generic plactic bags that are used a lot here in Morocco, they are about 12 inches by 10 inches......This bag took so many of these bags to make......I would say easily over 180! I don't count anymore I just keep gathering them ,cutting them up and crocheting away! You could probably get atleast 15-20 bucks for that tote bag................I am just going by the prices charged in stores for similar sized totes made from canvas....I know you probably think that is not enough, but considering there was NO cash outlay to buy materials.....you are charging for your labor.....maybe you could check on line and see if anyone is selling them on e-bay? But then you will be getting a ton of offers for them so you had better be prepared to make several!

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNBELIEVABLE-PLASTIC-SHOPPING-BAG-PURSE-TOTE-RECYCLED_W0QQitemZ130004487937QQihZ003QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee, all of the local health food store bags have something like that, too, and I keep thinking the same thing.

I must say, few of the grocery bags of my aquaitince are watertight enough to be water balloons. And they're not such tiny trash can liners if you buy one of the cans especially made for using grocery bags as liners: they have places around the rim to hook the handles on. Mine wouldn't work for a big family, but it's the perfect size for single-woman kitchen trash. (If I use the kitchen-size trash bags, I have seriously stinky trash before it's half-full.

Oh, CAL-related stuff? Let's see.

1) My mom just sent me a box of colored newspaper bags she's been saving in the mail. There are green, blue, red, orange, and yellow ones, but not huge quantities of each. Combined with the blue newspaper bags I've pulled out of recycle cans locally, they should make an interesting blue bag, at least. Maybe with green colorwork? Now I just need to figure out the best way to cut up newspaper bags.

2) I just got two 6-month-old kittens this week. When I got up this morning, they had dragged my current plastic-bag-in-progress to the middle of the living room floor and attacked it, but it appeared undamaged. :-)

This bag took so many of these bags to make......I would say easily over 180!

:eek Well, then, I have enough for a nice chain! LoL I think I have about 30 more under the sink- hubby uses them for lunch when he forgets his lunch tote at work. Ah well...I'm sure I can find some paper bags for him to use! LoL

I went to Target today and they sell Glad bags for recycling, they're blue, and fit on my 13-gallon trash can, so....when I need some color I'll be sure to try them. :clap

I suppose I'm jumping in a bit late, but I'd love to give this a try.

I tried the loop method a while back but gave it up as it seemed to bulky to work with. I may have just cut the strips to wide...I'm looking forward to using the diagonal cut this time.

Anyhoo, I think the beach bag idea is fantastic. We are in NJ and have an abundance of yellow Shop-Rite bags (they have colored writing on them, depending on the season/holiday.)

If anyone is looking to trade some brown or tan, let me know. I'll post pics when I get it going!

I suppose I'm jumping in a bit late, but I'd love to give this a try.

I tried the loop method a while back but gave it up as it seemed to bulky to work with. I may have just cut the strips to wide...I'm looking forward to using the diagonal cut this time.

Anyhoo, I think the beach bag idea is fantastic. We are in NJ and have an abundance of yellow Shop-Rite bags (they have colored writing on them, depending on the season/holiday.)

If anyone is looking to trade some brown or tan, let me know. I'll post pics when I get it going!

welcome aboad! I only use the spiral cuts. I dont loop at all and they turn out fine. I am in and out of this CAL because I have decided my next one will have a more planned approach :lol . I discovered these lovely orange bags from the bottle shop and I may have to drink my way through a lot of bottles to get enough bags! I think I have about 5 so far... 1 from home and the others people have given me. It is addictive tho, and once people know what you are up to they start collecting bags as well. :D They are calling me the bag lady!

Love the Bag! Question what would you charge for a bag like this since its recycled material? There is a lot of work that goes into making one of these. I have had a lot of requests but haven't done any for anyone other then family and they have been gifts of course.

I've sold almost all of mine for $20 each. I can't keep up and I crochet fast....but as you all know what takes time is finding, saving then cutting and looping.

Found some cheap Black bags at the dollar store. They're for trash cans but so they're thin like a grocery bag....just fantastic to crochet with. The white ones come out very soft and looking like a soft white leather......go check out my purses..the one with the black and green stripe...it feels just like leather......

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

Linda :hook

Welcome Stacy! :clap This can get addictive, be careful! :lol

I went to get a gift off of a registry list at Target. When I was looking at the bag later, I saw on the side it says:

10 Ways to Reuse this bag:

1. Tiny Trashcan Liner

2. Doggy Duty

3. Water Balloon

4. Roadtrip Rubbish

5. Soggy Laundry

6. Ice Pack for Head Lump

7. Toiletry Tote

8. Kitty Litter Liner

9. Tomorrow's Lunchbag

10. Care Package Padding

Um... 11... Plastic Bag Tote? :think

Should I write them and tell them, or do one of you want to? :lol

Tina

Oh, you should definitely give them the suggestion! They would probably love it! :clap

Way to go Linda:cheer :cheer ! I went to your blog and saw that you had 18 bags there:hook...Did you sell all 18? At 20 bucks a bag???? Like you made....360 dollars selling these bags!!!!????? :bounce That is like too cool for words woman! More power to you!:tup

Thanks for the video, it makes looping alot easier.

Finally, I finished a plastic bag bag!

But first, here's the first bag I made, over the Christmas holidays, so it isn't part of the CAL:

PlasticBag1.JPG

That funny, stretched shape? That's what happens after you've been using them for groceries for a bit. :-) The most weight I think I've had in it is two half-gallon bottles of juice. I wouldn't load it up like I would a canvas bag, but it's pretty sturdy.

This is made from my Mom's stash of Albertson's and King Soopers bags. I ran out of King Soopers bags before the end but was pleased to discover that Harris Teeter bags are exactly the same color.

OK, my new bag, just finished at my SnB earlier this evening:

PlasticBag2.jpg

This is made from Harris Teeter and Kroger bags. The colorwork is done with tapestry crochet and didn't show up as well as I had hoped, but even though it was a pain I am encouraged to try it again. I tried a different style for the shoulder strap. I'll have to see which I like better.

Next up: I want to make a bag for my dissertation advisor, who admired my first bag greatly last time she saw it. Tonight I scored a huge selection of bags in various shades of brown and beige, now it's just a matter of deciding which to use. I sort of like the idea of a bag made of nothing but health food bags, but the Harris Teeter bags are such a nice brown.

I also have a stash of blue bags that newspapers come in, so eventually I'll try cutting those up. However, I actually sort of like the brown and beige bags: at first glance it looks almost like a natural material.

As an added bonus, if anyone's interested, here's a link to a video I made of me joining the plastic loops together using a method I linked to WAY back in this thread. I think it's very efficient way of joining the loops (if you ignore the bit at the end where I pulled too hard and a loop snapped at a weak point).

I'm afraid the video is a .wmv since I couldn't figure out how to make it a reasonable size (it's 1 MB) in .avi format. So it has to be downloaded and played in something that plays .wmv files (like Media Player) in non-IE browsers. I'm sorry. I tried to shrink the .avi my camera made and I couldn't open it? If anyone has suggestions as to how to make the thing more web-friendly, please LMK.

Bethany , that brown bag is incredible! No One would know it is plastic at first glance.....and, thanks, I like the video that you made for us...it is a very easy and efficient way of joining those loops without going "LOOPY":loco ourselves!.Very nice useing more advanced techniques too like the tapestry crochet to make designs.....and why not! Just because it is from plastic doesn't mean we can not design something beautiful! Thank you again for sharing your design and looping know how with us:hug

Sharon in seattle ~~~~ I love the brown bag you did a great job on it......don't you love working with the brown bags? I sure do.

LadyCrochat ~~~~ Yes 20 dollars a piece ...although two of them I gave as presents.. :yes

I started working on another bag that is brown with Disneyland bags in the center....it is turning out really neat!!! Got sidetracked on a rectangle granny afghan pattern...I'll post as soon as I'm done.

Oh CrazeeMoi!!!!! Are you still visiting this cal???? Did you ever post the pattern for those adorable bumble bee plastic bag holders that you made way back on post 61? Is your pattern available either for free or for sale? I would love trying to make some of those BEE-utiful bags!

(Editing) Sorry.....I just found the pattern for those little cuties over in the original patterns thread thanks for sharing them with us!

To all you plastic bags crocheters who made bags with longer handles........what are your favorite kind of handles to make, and how do you keep them from getting stretched out of shape too much or breaking all together???

What I do is reinforce the area with a half double crochet when I start the handle and finish it...then when I come around for the second row on the handle when I get to the area where the handle starts I do a front post double crochet around the row below and the row I'm in...makes both side of the handle very sturdy...

Hope this makes sense.....:think

ps...I just finished a rectangle granny afghan go check it out...now I'm going to go back and finish that plastic bag made with Disneyland bags..

Hello..... just another idea for you all. I thought of this over a year ago..... saw this snowman rug pattern and thought....... huh? white? a rug? then thought....oooooooh make it with white plastic bags!!

http://www.craftown.com/xmascrochet/pat9.htm

I am hoping to run across a Texas shaped rug I made a year ago using plastic bags, it's packed away someplace LOL

Okay, so after reading alot of this thread and seeing the amazing pictures of your bags, I decided to try this. Is it just me, or is it really hard to do? Or is it just the first round that's hard. I'm so disappointed. I was really excited about trying this, and haven't read anyone having a problem. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Okay, so after reading alot of this thread and seeing the amazing pictures of your bags, I decided to try this. Is it just me, or is it really hard to do? Or is it just the first round that's hard. I'm so disappointed. I was really excited about trying this, and haven't read anyone having a problem. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

You missed my post then. :lol I tried it and gave it up. :blush

Okay, so after reading alot of this thread and seeing the amazing pictures of your bags, I decided to try this. Is it just me, or is it really hard to do? Or is it just the first round that's hard. I'm so disappointed. I was really excited about trying this, and haven't read anyone having a problem. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

When you are first getting started it is a bit weird....you have to experiment a bit with types of plastic (I like softer ones), hook sizes...I use a "g", and how wide you have to cut the strips of plastic ...I do about 3/4 of an inch. If you are using a very strong plastic you need a bigger hook and it is a lot tougher to do...find a lightweight plastic....maybe the kind the newspaper comes in and experiment with that...also good are the plastic bags that most grocery stores give out.....hint....ask them to Double bag your stuff (2 bags for the price of 1! tee hee). Try not to give up too quickly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TepperWear

You missed my post then. :lol I tried it and gave it up. :blush

It is not for the weak wristed!

I can only do a few rows at a time and my hands ache. The first row is the worst, and I find grocery bags easier to work with. I do prefer the spiral cut which I find easier to work with as it is more like raffia. The plastic seems to slide better for me on a large 7mm aluminimium hook. It gets easier as you go along, but it is an acquired taste..

Thanks everyone. I thought I was nuts. I did choose my thinner bags to start off with, and I was still having a hard time.

My biggest problem with doing this is that I've recently started to make an effort to become more environmentally conscious and have been bringing plastic bags to the grocery store so that I don't have to waste bags. I hope people really aren't asking for double bags just so they can go home and crochet with them. It's sort of defeating the purpose. IMHO.

Of course you are right TepperWear! For this to be an environmentally friendly recycling kind of thing, well the bags should have been used atleast once in some other way......but if you are almost finished with a project, and you just need a few more bags of a certain color.....either you will find a way to get them somehow(raiding recycling centers, doublebagging your groceries, begging them from friends....)...or you will wait weeks until one comes your way again! Sometimes the desire to finish your project outways the recycling ethic!

I also try never to use plastic bags when I shop: I bring my crocheted plastic bags, canvas bags, or plastic Target bags I keep in the car for this purpose. I do slip up occasionally and forget to bring a bag in, but not often.

I just raid supermarket recycle bins to get my bags. (Health food stores seem to have especially good recycle bins.) It's also a good way to get tons of bags from places you don't shop yourself. Ironically, I now have WAY more bags floating around my apartment then if I actually got them while shopping.

I'm having the absolute best time doing this, and every day I'm amazed how much plastic we use.

I always try and recycle whenever possible, and have also been known to raid the bin at the grocery when I shop (hey, 2 cents off for each re-use, can't beat that!)

I've had my eye on the colorful "bagged salad" wrapper in the fridge, and this morning I cut up the bag we got from the vet when we picked up the dog's medicine. My bestest find of the day was one of those plastic leis that my son got at a party some time ago. It was trashed and coming apart and I was picking it up to throw away when I realized that if I kept unwinding it (basically a strip twisted together with string), I'd end up with 4 or 5 yards of colorful, precut "yarn"!

I have an idea to do totes with the jute-type cord that you tie newspapers with, strengthened by doubling it with the bag yarn...hmmm:yes

Archived