how about a plastic bag CAL?

My son studied abroad in Japan last fall. I don't think that he brought one bag home. But I'll have to ask him about colored bags. He loved it and wants to go back.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the wonderful comments all. Well, bags hmmmm last year one daughter bought me colored trash bags lol I also use bags from pads, bags from t paper, plastic tablecloths (which at times I find at yard sales or my fave thrift store really cheap) The apple bag is from a red table cloth from the dollar tree. About 5 years ago both daughters had newspaper routes from diff papers tho. So, I was able to get lots of bags from them. And when they quit, I got all teh bags they still had. I have no shame, if I am at a yard sale and see a color bag, I ask for it! Also explain to people why. lol sometimes my fave thrift has teh little party bags, 20 to a bag and I get them really cheap. Altho when looped, I probably only get one hdc out of it but hey, its a diff color! Sigh yesssssssssss I am plastic bag obsessed. Yeah I know...... its kinda supposed to be all about recycling right? but I will buy them! Last year after Halloween, Walgreens had the big pumpkin bags (the ones you fill with leaves) on sale....... 90% off.....now how the heck can I pass that up? lol

Think "plastic" , not just bags!!!

Plus,,,,,,,,, I have been crocheting with bags for about 6 years, so they do tend to accumulate!

Plastic tablecloths......... I cut them in strips, depending on how wide they are cut....... one way is to just tie them to each other. If its thin, tie each end together then loop them.

Oh another suggestion ladies for those of you who are having someone mail you bags. Story first haha, couple years ago someone from a diff forum offered to mail me some lavender bags. When she did, she had just stuffed them into a bubble envelope. I felt bad tho. Never thought to suggest to her to lay the bags out, smooth them out, cut off the handles and bottom seam. This will save on postage.

I know its quite late on in this CAL but i was in my local cheapo shop today (InStores for all you Brits) and they had rolls of scented swingbin liners in different colours and smells. Ok im not so bothered about the way they smell but they were pretty cheap at £1.70 for 2, 30 bag rolls (about$3.15) and they are a consistant colour. I got Blue (Ocean smell) and Pink (Rose smell) so i thought id join this CAL. My last attempt at a plastic bag bag went a bit funny shaped but i will try harder and post with my progress.

Have a nice day

AM

I'm not participating in this CAL but you ladies/gentlemen have me looking at bags differently also. :yes If anyone has a 'Rainbow' store near them their bags have a large lavender front with the name written across. I immediately thought of this CAL. FYI- Rainbow is a clothing store I've been to in Dearborn, MI. I'm not sure if they are national or not.

keep trying xampx!! those bags are great, have several diff colors myself. I usually cut them about 2 inches wide, they are a bit thin to me. What hook are you using?

I was hoping to cut these slightly thinner as my last attempt was shocking. The pieces were just over an inch thick and i think it was a 9mm hook, sorry im not sure what US size that translates to. I will probably use the same hook but work a bit looser this time. I will also pay more attention when it starts turning into an odd shape :s

Ok I have been lurking this Cal... intersting stuff.

but on Cutting the bags, could/do you cut them like you would for strips in a quilt? rolling cutter and mat? do more then one bag at a time?

OH i have not read every post

Mary for the plastic bags you cut off the top and bottom then fold the bag over and over until you only have an inch or 2 width, one snip and you've cut the across the width and you have a strip, it doesn't have to be as precise as with fabric for quilting, I only eyeball it when I do it.:blush

There's a link to show exactly how to cut the bag and here it is:

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/bag%20cutting%20instructions.html

I love that one, the colours are great. Im tempted to do handles like that on mine because im not very good with handbags, I prefer shoulder bags.

Mine is coming along nicely (smelling great too:lol ) theres a progress pic on my blog although that was about 5 hours ago and its a good couple of inches taller now.

Xampx- your bag is looking great! I was just curious, though; how do you make flip flops? Are you going to use plastic bags for them? That would be so cool to see!

Linda- your bag is great too! Where do you get all these awesome colored bags? I need to get out more often, bag shopping. :P

I have another bag going it is just a white WalMart one, though.

Tina

My, my, Linda. You REALLY are a crocheting fool and you have been very busy with these plastic bags!

I've been trying to prepare some grocery/shopping bags so I can start another project. I came across a very bright yellow from Best Buy.

Ladies, all of your projects look great! I love how they all are a little different in shape and style and the colors are surprising. Keep up the good work.

Archived