how about a plastic bag CAL?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone! Can I play too? I have been working on this one for awhile, and as I get a lot of black bags here I am making it mostly black.....why stress myself out searching for hard to get colors? I am sure that I will search for some elusive bag eventually, as I am already paying a lot of attention to what stores give what bags! LOL But since this is my first I thought to keep it simple. I have family and friends helping me out saving bags for me, and it is incredible how interested they all are in my new project! So, I am thinking of adding a few interesting stripes.....but so far this is all I have...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/DKousmat58/Crochet/DSC05640.jpg

You know....I have NEVER felt so good about crocheting as I do when I use this plastic! This bag will use about 150 smallish plastic bags...that is 150 plastic bags that would be lying in a land fill somewhere or spoiling the beauty of our environment. Now they will be a useful bag for going to the beach or the market or whatever....and because they are waterproof....I want to make a smaller bag to hang outside for my clothespins.....or a tiny soapdish! It is so cool working in plastic!

You know....I have NEVER felt so good about crocheting as I do when I use this plastic! This bag will use about 150 smallish plastic bags...that is 150 plastic bags that would be lying in a land fill somewhere or spoiling the beauty of our environment.
I totally agree! Although, I kind of had to go through a crisis of conscience over recycling. I said basically what you said to my husband and he said "how is it reducing when you ask them to double bag your groceries so you'll have enough?"

Oooooohhhh. Burn. :blush

But I did what others have already suggested: I asked friends and family, and checked the bag recycling bins at the grocery store. You have to be careful to get only über-clean ones; I don't want someone's beef bag or something. A lot of times there are big bags in the recycling bin where they are still attached to the bag holder tabs (the last few bags on the rack, I guess... ), so I figure these are safe as they have never been used. A lot easier to fold and cut evenly that way, too!!:U

I guess I'm not as picky about the recycled bags. You can always wash them before you start cutting. :-)

I try to aquire as few grocery bags in the standard fahsion as possible: I use canvas bags or my crochet plastic bag, and I keep old Target bags in the back seat of my car for when I forget to bring my nice reusables. (Though, the people at Walmart hassle you about putting stuff in Target bags...)

Nevertheless, my plastic bag stash has grown immensely since I learned you can crochet with them. I was at Whole Foods the other night and saw they have switched to using a very attractive off-white bag, which would be perfect for a bag I'm planning on making. I resisted the urge to let them bag my groceries in them (as I had by canvas bags with me) but liberated 5 from the recycle bin, along with some nice Harris Teeter bags and a BUNCH of the little baggies newspapers come in, some in yellow and some in blue.

Last night I sat down and organized my collection. I have sworn that I will crochet several bags (both for myself and as presents for friends) and then start recycling some of the excess, as this is getting rediculous.

I crocheted while floating on my floating-pool-chair last weekend and it worked great. Nicer than reading, since you don't have to worry about kids splashing you. I need to get moving: some of you guys are producing so many of these things, and I haven't finished one!

Meadowlake23, you must be the most creative among us, as you ventured into working in the other direction. Your bag looks great!

....and Ladycrochat......did you use trash bags or black grocery bags? Your bag has a pretty silvery look to it.

Well, my bag is basically finished. I think I will cut a few more bags tonight, loop and then add a slipstitch around the handle. Then I'll take on a new challenge........photographing and posting it for you all to see. That will be a first for me so I'll have to do a little research first.

This has been fun!

Meadowlake23, you must be the most creative among us, as you ventured into working in the other direction. Your bag looks great!
:day thanks for the compliment, but really I just used a pattern that I found at a yard sale this weekend. it was designed for rag crochet.

Ok, Ladies and Gentlemen, here is my contribution to the CAL. The most exciting part is that this is the first time that I've posted a photo. Hope it works.....

here goes...

th_RecycledBag.jpg

Yippeeeee!! I think I did it!

My compliments to everyone on this CAL, recycling can be so much fun...I have rolled 2 large balls from plastic bags and hope to get something started soon!! :yarn :yarn

I've made a huge plastic bag tote in the past....I won't use it as part of this CAL but here is a picture of it...the flower is plastic too :hook

IMG_0254.jpg

Ok, Ladies and Gentlemen, here is my contribution to the CAL. The most exciting part is that this is the first time that I've posted a photo. Hope it works.....

here goes...

th_RecycledBag.jpg

Yippeeeee!! I think I did it!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Beautiful bag and a super picture.

You've done it all! Good job, Redhead Deb!

Oh Mimi I love that bag!you did really well, I am still stymied for awhile I need to get two bags of another color to finish my bag, I am always on the lookout for them!

You ladies are leaving me in your dust!! I'm STILL plodding away on my throw rug. Its turning out alot wider than I thought it would be. I went grocery shopping yesterday and so I have some more yarn to prepare for crocheting. I usually crochet early in the morning before my daughters get up. I don't dare crochet with the plastic bags as it makes a slight rustling sound when you crochet. I don't want to wake my daughters any earlier than I have to. Redhead Deb and Maria, I really like your bags. I actually found a crocheted totebag at our thrift store this past week. I got it and we used it for my daughter as a library tote bag. Its crocheted with yellow bags. Very nice. I wish I knew where that crocheter got her yellow bags though.

Oh No! Please don't feel that way Karin:hug ....you just chose a larger project! Honestly.....I am VERY interested in seeing how it is coming along, because I want to try to make one for my home too.....And Maria....how long did it take you to crochet that bag????? It would make a fantastic bag to use to cart around your work in progress....(WIP?)....I am thinking of making one of those too...can you guess how many bags it took?

Everyone.....thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words and motivation! :manyheart

I'm really glad I got involved in this CAL. It was my first, and I really wasn't sure how a CAL worked when I got started. Now I know. I also know how to cut, loop and crochet plastic bags, how to create a photobucket account and upload pictures AND how wonderful my new crochet buddies are!! Thanks for inspiring me and for sharing your tips.

At this point, my leftover cut plastic strips, small roll of looped plastic "yarn" wound on a tp roll, and my post-it note with scribbled instructions are safely tucked away for another time. I still have, only not near as many, WHITE grocery bags. In the future, I will be paying close attention to pretty color bags and stash them away.

I will check-in on you all daily and will enjoy seeing more WIPs and completed bags. I'll probably even throw in my two cents. Thanks, again. This was fun!

This is my plastic tote<a href=th_PlasticTote.jpg' alt='th_PlasticTote.I used a size M hook. It was fun to make and am collecting more plastic bags. A hint - when looping your strips to gether - after making a loop- when pulling next loop tight-hold knot of last loop and pull gently until tight. You won't get those sill loopies.

Ims till waiting for five free moments to cut up my next lot of bags - but have been planning my next one anyway - this is very addicting - the talk of garbage bags has got me thinking - anout a black bag with a white skull - that way I can try out charted crochet as well. every ones bags look so great - I cant wait to finish mine!

You all have done a wonderful job crocheting with the plastic bags. Warms my heart cuz I love to crochet with them lol

Finally...... been sick and had an order to do. She asked for a red one because her kitchen is themed in apples. Well...... I had to do better than that!! So tried to make it look like an apple. Then just had to find some a worm for it!!

AppleBagHolder.jpg

ack forgot I had another pic to post too......

MultiMesh.jpg

CrazeeMoi that is awesome!! You did a really good job. :cheer :cheer

I'm still on the look out for more colored bags, but I have another small tote started in white.

Tina

Those bags are awesome Crazeemoi; I especially like the very colorful ones:manyheart ! Wow! Where:think did you ever find all those colors? They are super....the apple themed one is fantastic too:cheer :cheer :cheer

Archived