how about a plastic bag CAL?

Thanks, I just checked and I still have some of Wal*Mart's blue bags. :clap

That is what I started my tote with, then Wal Mart switched to the white bags. :grumpy So, I made the bottom of the tote blue, and then am using the white bags up until the stripe. I am going to ask my mom if she still has any blue bags. Otherwise I'll just do a different colored stripe.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's all a question of supply and demand! there is a shortage of blue wally world bags and the demand here is pretty high! maybe we should all start knocking on doors? "hi ya neighbor! silly question, do you have any blue walmart bags?"

it's all a question of supply and demand! there is a shortage of blue wally world bags and the demand here is pretty high! maybe we should all start knocking on doors? "hi ya neighbor! silly question, do you have any blue walmart bags?"

:lol That is too funny, because yesterday I was in my sons' bathroom downstairs, and noticed a blue WalMart bag in his trash can... :eek 'Where did you find that bag?!' (My own family thinks I'm nuts!) :lol

Tina

My husband has gotten on the plastic bag search. Yesterday he came home from work with a yellow plastic bag from telephone books that they delivered to his shop. I took it a put it away. We must all be going nuts!:lol

My friend who got me back into crocheting and taught me to knit is moving :sniffle:. Last night I liberated a bunch of the clear bags her newspaper comes in from her recycle bin. I figure that between that and my dry cleaning bags, I should be set to make a bag entirely of clear plastic bags.

I'm beginning to suspect my Christmas crocheting may consist largely of plastic bag bags. People seem to find them facinating.

Now I just need to get off my rump and start crocheting.

I've been reading this thread and find it interesting but someone said they used the spiral cut method of cutting their sacks. Where can I find directions for this. This would make a great bag for my daughter to haul stuff to the shower at college this fall.

Nicie

November 2004...... I came from Michigan to visit my sister in TX (to see if I wanted to move here) Anyway, I brought some cotton yarn and a few hooks. Brought a pattern I wanted to try ......with plastic bags. My sister gave me a bunch, her daughters gave me a bunch. I would sit out front to smoke a cig and crochet with the bags. I would see a neighbor ........go say hello, Im so and so's sister from Michigan. Would you have any extra bags?? LOL it worked too LOL Before I moved, I sold lots of fabric and was able to donate lots to a good cause. Yarn?? heck NO, brought all 10 rubbermaid totes. I was still buying it at garage sales right before I moved LOL plastic bags?? Brought 3 of the kitty litter buckets full of em . Now, and you think YOU are nuts? hahahaha I got ya beat!!

When I noticed Walmart was switching their bags to white (ugh ) I just asked for extras explaining I crocheted with em. OH ....... here is one I did recently. Stopped at a garage sale, saw their newspaper on the driveway, in a bright yellow bag, picked it up, took it them and then asked for the bag lol YUP I am Crazee indeed! All this yarn I have and I am back to crocheting with bags. It is so interesting to me. Kept seeing this tape wrapped arnd poles etc, wondering, what is it? Where can I find it? LOL was in Lowes looking arnd...... ah ha!! flagging tape and YUP I bought one roll of it, neon pink!! Thanks for reading my silliness. I love Crochetville!!

Hey CrazeeMoi have you tried crocheting with the tape yet. I seen that too and was thinking about trying it Might have to run back to Lowes and get some. :think

Nicie.........here is a link for the spiral cutting....scroll down a bit....

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/craftshobbies/a/blpcrochet.htm

Marnie...... yes, I have used the flagging tape. Its an inch wide but its thick! I am using an N hook too. I think if I use it again tho, I just might unroll a few feet and cut it in half down the strip or maybe just only crochet with the tape. While I was at Lowes, I went down the cinder block area and guess the lumber part too. Had struck up a nice conversation with the cashier and got to talking bout crocheting with plastic. When I was leaving I noticed a box of deep fushia (?) plastic so went back in asked her if I could get some. She said yes and looked arnd (so I took it as I needed to be discreet). So got me some!! hmmmmm I need to go back and get more if they still have some! sigh....... I am so plastic bag obsessed!

I've been reading this thread and find it interesting but someone said they used the spiral cut method of cutting their sacks. Where can I find directions for this. This would make a great bag for my daughter to haul stuff to the shower at college this fall.

Nicie

I have been using this technique and it works for me. Someone has posted a link above re this. I join the ends with a knot and crochet over this.

The first bag I made which I posted back a few pages, I gave to my secretary. She is an avid recycler and today bought me in a bunch of blue and orange. the orange are from the local bottle shop. :D

When I got the groceries on the weekend I went from trying to reduce plastic bags, to trying to get as many as I could. :eek

Yep I have PBOCD as well :D that is plastic bag obsessive compulsive disorder :lol and I think it is contageous!

I haven't tried this yet, but I've heard that using a little hand lotion on your hook helps the bags slide over them better.

I have a huge stash of plastic bags that I've been saving to crochet with but still haven't gotten around to. I'm thinking a rug or a big bag.

I was talking to my mom about collecting some plastic bags to do this and she told me my Great grandmother did this many years ago and used dry cleaner bags.

Nicie

Well here are my first 3 bags i am hooked on this i have another one almost done and more planned. My sister laid claims to the one with the white handles and the other 2 went to the doctors where my sister works. Sorry the pics are not real good.

th_000_1003.jpgth_000_1002.jpgth_000_0999.jpg

Are there any really good patterns on the web for this or does winging it seem to be the norm? Also i'm having some trouble getting the bags to slide through my fingers, maybe i should change how i normally hold yarn? I dont know, help please

Marnie your bags look great!! :clap :clap :clap What color bags are those, yellow and white? Great job!

Becca- Have you tried putting lotion on? I don't know of any other way. I just have to take a break and go wash my hands after a couple rows then it feels a little better.

I got some blue WalMart bags in the mail this morning from someone really nice here at Crochetville. :wink And both the ends and handles are already cut off for me , all I have to do is cut the strips. So I'll be able to finish my tote bag I posted a picture of soon! :clap Thanks again!! :manyheart

Tina

I've been "itchin'" to try this ever since I saw it on another thread. I have no pretty colors, only white, but I think I'll start cutting. Maybe by the time I'm ready for a stripe, I can find a pretty color. I love knowing that I'm not the only one that is looking for used bags to crochet!

I had the same problem with only white bags. Some had blue print on the front (Food Lion), some had black print (Walmart), but only on a portion of one side.

I'm a wee bit anal-retentive, so I seperated out my bits of bag when I cut:

• All white
  • Bit of print
  • Lot of print

By using my sections like "different colors", even though the bag is mainly white, the speckles make it look almost like a tonal white plastic yarn :)

I will say again, though, this added a bit of time to the "yarn creation" process, for a very subtle effect. But when you only have white, it's a way to still have dimension to your project!

Archived