how about a plastic bag CAL?

I had an awesome Idea when I was getting school supplies on how to use the tote as a lunch box and line it with something I don't know how I would do it but yeah any one got any ideas? I mean because you see kids bring in plastic bags and paper bags but this one you could use over and over. ok well I must get back to my tank top for school and the tote

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey melibean, this is really easy if you have a HUGE hook, i used redheart N, and it goes really fast too even if u are just learning this would be a great way to practice stitches :) and have something fun and funky to use afterwards

I'll have to look at my hooks I bought a starter set of hooks not sure how big they go, I want to find a pattern for a beach bag type of thing (hopefully an easy pattern) so when I'm done I can send this to my mom for when her and my step father go to the beach or out on there boat for there wet stuff. I think she would get a huge kick out of it. hehe

Veganfairylover, I do not see WHY you have to line it at all. Kids that are using regular plastic bags don't have lined ones.......besides it will be so much easier to clean if it is just plastic. Still, if you really want to line it, maybe you can line it in felt....sew the same shape as the bag in felt, and then drop it inside and whipstitch it to the top of your tote, it would just make washing youir tote bag harder though IMHO........But I do think this is a great idea, maybe other kids at school will see your cool lunch tote, and want to get or make their own! You can make others to sell, or teach others to make them and really use lots of plastic bags up!

I see....that IS a tough one!:yes I guess you can put a plastic bag on the inside of it somehow.....but I am not sure how...I think I have to think about this more:think !

:lol Just an hour ago while looking at lunchbags in WalMart (and spending $12 on two...) I was thinking 'I wonder if I could somehow crochet the kids new lunchbags for school?' :think They probably would be embarassed to bring them, though... I think it's a neat idea though!:clap I could have saved $12...

On a side note, has anyone thought about making a button for this CAL? (I would if I knew how, but I am a computer dummy if there ever was one...)

Tina

hey mary, have you thought of just wrapping the coldpack in lets say paper towels or a plastic bag? or make a pouch for the pack out of old sheets or something?

Thanks everyone! I love it when people comment on my work, and fellow crocheters..well never had that happen, so thanks for the positive feedback :) i'm working on another bag, a little bit bigger than this last one but i ran out of white bags, hopefully it'll grow when mom gets back with groceries

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/sharoninseattle/HPIM1648.jpg

Here is my first bag made out of the plastic grocery bags, I thought of this months ago and thought it was too complicated, but after I saw the video a lady posted on how to loop, (by the way thankyou very much or I would not have made one) I was inspired.

I used a size "g" hook and cut my strips into 3/4" loops :hook

I finally have pictures....not of the tote i did, but a new little handbag! it's so cute! please take a look and tell me what you think, pictures are on my blog

Very cute bag, I like the change of colors, I'll have to try that on my next one :hook

ok, after making all that "plastic yarn" and attempting to do this, I've decided that this just isn't for me. So, i'm sorry to announce, that I am just not gonna be crocheting along here no more.... so sorry.... anyone want my plastic yarn tho? pm me

Ahhhhh Ada! We shall be sorry to see you go, but admittedly this isn't for everyone! Still, keep coming 'round to check out our latest creations!I think the bags that you made Squish are adorable, especially the little one, I like the wooden handle look to it! very creative! The bigger one is great too....never know when you need to haul more stuff! Sharoninseattle, your bag is beautiful too....I like the longer handles that you made! As for myself, I am beginning my third totebag....the first two were a bit stylized, with stripes and working in certain patterns, but this one is going to be a riot of all different colors joined together in no particular pattern....I will post some photos when I have enough of it done for you to appreciate the color changes!:hook

Archived