how about a plastic bag CAL?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo! I love the way you made the 'variegated' yarn! It never occured to me to do that. I really like it so far!

I still haven't worked on mine in a while. Maybe I should just give it up and do a pattern I know... :think

Nice WIP, though, Ladycrochet! :hook

Tina

Thanks Tina, it is fun doing it in the variegated yarn because it is always a surprise to see what colors will wind up next to what other colors! Everyone who sees it says that they like it a lot, but it did take over a month to gather together enough plastic bags of every shade imaginable, the only color I did not want to use here was black, but there is still a bit of it, if there was, for example, a yellow bag with black lettering:

I haven't started a new one lately. I had one I was trying to do but in a moment of disgust I threw it away... It had been sitting there for weeks, I really didn't know what I'd do with it, who I'd give it to.... My mom keeps sending me bags though so maybe that's a hint I should start a new one? :think I think the next one I want to make is going to be tan. After the kids are back in school maybe... And the tea cozy swap is over... And the baby afghan I need to finish before September 15th is finished... :sweat

Tina

I have only been making bag holders. Have 3 not done tho lol 2 cuz I ran out of Albertsons bags. Was helping my daughter move so I grabbed bags that were the same and cut strips and crocheted some then. I really want to make AJ"s bone mat with Kroger bags. hmmmmm dont have a dog tho lol

Well this will be my first Cal but I'm definetely in. I've got an idea brewing in my head for a big basket type thing for my washing. I'm headed back and forth to the laundromat a few times each week and think that a basket with handles will be great. I don't have that many plastic bags so I'm thinking that I will buy a roll of white garbage bags. Another advantage of this is that if the dye does come out of normal bags, I won't have any problems! Will post with my progress soon!

Jezmay

Welcome to the CAL and to Crochetville, too, Jezmay! :)

Did anyone see Tammys' snowman she crocheted out of plastic bags?! :eek

It's so cool! All but I think the scarf and nose are done out of plastic bags. (She says in the thread).

Tina

Welcome Jezmay! Glad to have you with us! And welcome to crochetville as well.......you are going to LOVE it here!

I saw Tammy's snowman, and it was SO CUTE! It is just an adorable pattern and she did a wonderful job on it, but she said she didn't write the pattern down.......:no ......just sort of winged it!

At the very beginning of this CAL Karen4Christ was making a rug out of plastic bags, but I think she gave up.....I think I want to try that too...I mean....How many tote bags can you make after awhile??? Unless you start selling them....but an oval area rug will take a long time to make, it can be a running project....you know something that you work on in spurts until you finish it.

Ladycrochet~ I think that is why I gave up on the purse I was working on. :P I was trying to make one (like the one) someone posted about that, the person sold on Etsy for like $35... It looked like an oval rug; which is what I was trying to do, but... gave up.

Tina

Was it to tough to make Tina:think ? I read SOMEWHERE on line that to make a rug you are supposed to crochet with one strand of yarn:yarn held with the plastic, sort of gives it weight and strength.....So you gave up on it, and Karen gave up on it, Now I am thinking maybe it is too tough to do?:blush

i dont think it would be that difficult...what if you just did large grannies and sewed them together? that seems like a good solution and i have made a rug in this manner out of rug yarn, it can't be that difficult out of plastic, i would think a throw rug would be easier than a handbag...imo though

Well Squish, I agree:yes with you that it can be done! I am looking around for a pattern or some ideas at least while I am collecting enough plastic bags to get a running start on it! I hate:thair starting a project and then having to stop it because I ran out of supplies! Don't know:shrug if I will make it oval, rectangular or from granny squares.....still thinking and planning! :think

Becca, thanks for the pattern....it looks fun and easy to do....Still not yet decided as to what or how I will make it....that pattern looks like I will be saving plastic for years before I get started! LOL!

Ladycrochet- Yes, I was making an oval 'rug' (for that purse), but I just gave up on it. I don't know why. (I wasn't using a strand of yarn with it, either, just if you are curious...)

Someone our family has been friends with for years (who crochets) wants to do a plastic bag! She doesn't have internet access, though, so I am sending her a printed copy of how to cut up the plastic bags and loop them. My mom was at her house, and she had the plastic bag purse I crocheted with her. So now she (the friend) wants to do one, too. :clap

Tina

Archived