Do You Return Yarn?

me? return yarn?:eek :eek nope never ever have i returned yarn, i always have a home for it, although lately is getting a bit crowded so am selling some to make room for more. keep a eye out , in the for sale section, i have some awesome yarns at reasonable prices, does that answer the question? me the yarnaholic? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand someone wanting to return yarn they don't need.

That said....

I don't think I'd ever return any yarn, I can always come up with a project for it.

Not only have I never returned yarn, I have scraps of yarn from when my MOTHER was crocheting years ago (she had to give it up when I was about 12 because of arthritis/carpal tunnel)! :hook

I've just started crocheting again, after taking 6 or 7 years off, but I don't think I would ever return it, just because I'd find something to make it with.

Although, my wife just took some back, because we were trying to match some old Kolor Match (they don't make it anymore) Deep Violet....and it was so far off...and since it was an expense brand, she took it back and went and found a much better match, Perfect Match, which I guess was what Carin used to take over the Kolor Match yarn....

• 1 month later...

I don't know about yarn, but clothing stores absolutely will blacklist you from returning if you do it too much because they have problems with people actually wearing the clothes and then returning them. Personally, I think that's wrong. But totally unused yarn with the wrapper on? I don't see a problem with that going back. I could probably never do it though; I only return purchases if the item is faulty somehow.

Return yarn? Can you do that? :) I have all of these partial skeins, and little balls of yarn I do end up using for trying smaller patterns etc. I also have NEVER thrown away any of the ends I've cut (use them for stuffing similarly colored toys) nor any of the longer pieces from sewing pieces together.

(My children pick up both the little teeny scraps of yarn and the longer pieces and TREAT THEM LIKE GOLD! I found this odd but to my husband's point, there is no toy out there that will let you use your imagination like a piece of yarn. Pretty perceptive for someone who's NOT in love w/my stash!)

Recently heard of an idea to make your own custom crazy yarn ball by knotting all of the longer than 12 in scraps together (Why didn't I think of that???) Then you can make a really cool purse etc - and if you mix bulky and ww etc etc all the more unique. You could crochet w/the knots on wrong side for smoother look or right side for a fuzzy, hairy look. So, now I'm tracking down all those scraps and making my own yarn ball. Which, will probably hang out in my stash for a while :yarn

I have never, ever returned yarn. Even I buy too much of it (what yarnaholic doesn't, LOL), I keep it all and eventually it gets used for one project or another. It's funny, but I hate to return anything, I am the type that will make 15 trips to a dressing room to try on clothes instead of taking them home (depending on store policy) and then returning. But yarn, never. Once it gets in my house, it is held hostage forever.

LI Roe

Returtn yarn????:eek Can that even be done:2nono???? NEVER! I thought that is why we always have stashes....... :shrug Besides the extra yarns are great:manyheart for making scrapghans.....and very often I can find a great use for all that left over yarn....No!:no When I buy yarn....It is MINE!:devil

What's yarn? Is that what is in all those rubbermaid containers and bags in the spare crochet room - I mean bedroom. I have never returned yarn either, but I do make sure I keep the receipt in the bag with the yarn and I also try the yarn out real quick if I have never used it before. Just in case I don't like it and can't think of anything else to do with it, but so far I have been lucky - even with the fun fur which I hated at the beginning until I discovered that I had to work with it in good light to see where I was putting the hook.

A question thou - can yarn ever be too old? Wouldn't it eventually rot? Someone mentioned having yarn from years ago. If you would have yarn that is 15-20 years old, would it still be good? I don't have any that old, so don't know.

Just returned five balls of thread yesterday... bought #10 and needed #3 - didn't even have the receipt... I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with it! And it's better to over-buy than run out and have to buy a different dye lot that's six shades off - I've seen a few examples that people have posted and it would be very frustrating to have that happen!

I am actually returning several skeins today! LOL I, like some of the others, tend to keep my specialty yarns but return yarns like RH or caron ss. I'm wanting to start the babette from interweave once to 1/2 finished projects are done in the new couple weeks. The yarn for that will be costing $100+ in all likelihood so I'd like to recoup a bit of that with some of the yarn sitting around that I don't know if I'll ever get around to.

I don't usually return yarn, but I do exchange it .. espescially red heart & Caron. Also Homespun.

Yesterday though I did a straight return. The store didn't have the color I needed to exchange it for..so I just took my 8 bucks and ran. LOL

Spent it on my teens instead.

Return yarn? I dont even know the concept. Never return yarn...never. That's why my stash is, well, taking over my house. :)

Good to hear that I`m not the only one who keep the yarn. I have never return yarn. :yay

It nearly scears me to hear "return" and "yarn" in the same sentence :eek

I totally return yarn! I live in dire fear that I will underbuy for a project, so if I calculate how many skeins I need, I round up... and then buy 2 or three extra, anyway. I try to keep the reciepts with the project, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love scrapghans, I love having a stash, but if I have 2 or three completely unused skeins of yarn, back to the store they go (unless I really really love the yarn and have a new WIM for it).

If I so much as pull out the center pull, however, it is used. It's not going back.

A question thou - can yarn ever be too old? Wouldn't it eventually rot? Someone mentioned having yarn from years ago. If you would have yarn that is 15-20 years old, would it still be good? I don't have any that old, so don't know.

I have some wool that is at least 20 years old.. and it is still good.. at least good enough for felting.

If you wanna see it, it's at the very beginning of my blog. A felted catbed. Link in my sig line.

I return yarn. I'm far away from the store, so when the RH yarn goes on sale at ACMoore ($1.50!) I have my mom buy a bunch of skeins in colors that I think I need....when I get to that project, if my guess was off, I'll take them and exchange them for other colors.

I haven't actually RETURNED yarn.

to return yarn I have to have the bill and the yarn at the same moment at the same place. The banderole may not be broken. No way I get all these points matching.

So I keep it and use it up for smaller projekts or the granny square afghans for my children - all done with different colors, no repeats wether in pattern nor in color...

I have never returned out exchanged a skein of yarn, ever. I rarely buy yarn with complete projects in mind (usually just a sketchy idea), so if I have extra, I use it to make other, small projects. Since I always want to try new patterns, it doesn't make sense for me to get rid of the extra yarn I would use to try them out - I'm pretty broke, so I buy extra when I have money, and find a project for it to fit later.

Archived