Do You Return Yarn?

I always return leftover yarn I didnt need for projects... thinking I'll get a little money back .

HA ~ That's a laugh .:lol

I end up wandering back to the yarn aisle "just to take a peek " and end up BUYING more than I returned .

It's a never -ending cycle !

My yarn is multiplying like rabbits .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually don't have extra unused skeins of yarn. On the other hand, I don't usually buy as much as the pattern calls for either. I know, I know, this is bad since I have to go back and try to find the same dye lot and the same color, but I hate going back and returning unused yarn. I have, though, bought yarn, realized at a later time that I just wasn't going to use it, and then returned it. I usually keep my receipts so that I can do this. I just found some yarn which I apparently bought in 2004, complete with receipt. Not sure why I bought it anymore. It was in one of my boxes that I never look in since I think it's mostly scrap yarn. Don't think I'll be able to return that one.

Too bad I buy more yarn than I use. My yarn collection keeps growing! Good thing there are no sales in my area this week. That means I can try to use up as much yarn as I can so that I can justify buying more yarn. =)

If I buy yarn with a specific project in mind I will return any unused skeins and put that towards my next project. But I often buy yarn on sale or whatever with nothing in mind, specifically for my stash and that I don't return because I usually don't use it until who knows who long after I buy it and find the perfect pattern for it.

Meh, I've never returned a skein. I bought four wrong ones just the other day, I got their replacement today. But they're staying with me, nonetheless. My stash is a one way street. The only way out is by my hook! :hook

>> If I buy yarn with a specific project in mind I will return any unused skeins and put that towards my next project. <<

I tend to buy one or two too many of skeins to work a project, so I do take the remaining unopened skeins back to exchange for other yarns that I want for another project. So far, none of the stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnns, WalMart) have had any problem with doing exchanges for me as long as the skeins have their price tags or I have a receipt.

Of course, they know me well enough to know that I cannot leave the store without buying SOMETHING more! :-D

I swear my Walmart has a "Watch out" poster for me...

I collected so much yarn overtime from there.. and I have this habit of buying more than I can use (dye lots etc)... So anyway.... about a year ago I went through my entire bedroom.. and had like 7 large trash bags full of yarn and craft items.. of course id idnt have the receipt- but walmart takes back anything!

So off I go with LOTS of stares... i thinkt heir jaws dropped when I got to the counter...

The amount came to be about $450....

So about 3 or4 months later I go back... lots of more things from cleaning out I found a lot more stuff again... so off I go... again- but different people this time.. and oh my goodness talk about how to put a Walmart person ina bad mood- I am certainly a catalyst for that!

That amount came to oh 3oo dollars or so...

SO.. then comes this last time- about 2 months ago or so... I stroll up with my shopping cart of 6 bags... and I didnt recognize any of the people.. but um... they recongnized me (I swear there is a wanted poster of me behind the counter)...immediately the woman put her hand up like- at a stop crossing and said we need to contact someone. So there I am standing there, shopping card with garbage bags in tote... awaiting for "what" i had no idea...

So up comes a young long blonde hair girl... with the 2 customer service poeple behind the counter whispering away by the back counter.. talk about feeling like you are a criminal! So then I am told that me (only me) needs manager approval for all my returns!

LOL.......................................

HOW they knew i was the "yarn bag lady" I will never know... maybe it is my long hair down to my hiney...... but the manager asked me why I was reutrning and I said.. I am a crochet designer! And unfortunately since yarns come in dye lots I have to buy more than I can use.... so every few months I have to detsash the remnants! (Of course I fibbed the truth that it was remnants from my overflowing closets of stash!).......

Next time I shall have to do something to disguise myself!

you know, i've said i'm going to return yarn...but never have!! nope, i've got all kinds of misc. skeins floating around here. it's taking over!

haha,... I just need to stop going to wal-mart for a while... everytime I go in I come out with a bag full. I just counted them all and I have 64 skiens.... :eek:think where did they all come from!!!

honey, is that ALL you've got? nah...definately not a lot...read etaria's post! or come see my closet from hades!

Yes, I have returned yarn. It's an unpleasant experience.

The employee gives a "look" and sometimes a sigh. Then she has to call the manager. Even with a receipt. You are holding up the line... everybody behind you starts to sigh and roll their eyes... You feel like you should apologize or something...

Depends on where it's bought; some places accept the returns but you have to fill out a form and list the reason for the return.

Some places will only do an exchange.

Some places only accept returns within 30 days with a receipt.

So if you buy it, you better use it quick! LOL

Anymore I try to use up all the yarn; if it's left over from a garment, then I try to make a scarf to match.

honey, is that ALL you've got? nah...definately not a lot...read etaria's post! or come see my closet from hades!

yeah that's all I have right now lol, but I just started crocheting like 2 months ago :D I'm overflowing lol.. too many projects in mind and not enough time to finish them

It depends. Sometimes I return yarn because I changed my mind on the yarn for a certain project or I bought a little extra that I didn't need. But I do try to find something to make with it first. And it depends on how much it cost, for sure. If I do return it, like other posters, I end up buying even more anyway. In general, I don't like to keep too much scrap yarn around...But I don't have a problem with tons of unused skeins for future projects, I just keep changing my mind on what projects I will be doing.

I have returned yarn when I bought too much for a project...but I also keep it when I bought it on sale and pack it away to sell at a yard sale someday..if I ever have time.:blush Right now I have an entire box of specialty yarns in my basement that I bought and will never use.. a weak moment at Herrschners warehouse sale a couple months ago. I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet. :eek .

I swear my Walmart has a "Watch out" poster for me...

So then I am told that me (only me) needs manager approval for all my returns!

I'm of the understanding that WalMart has a limit on how much you can return without a receipt per year. Both the number of receiptless returns, and the value of the items. Depending on the items, it can be a real hassle for them do the return itself, as well as try to restock them on the shelves in an attempt to re-sell.

Don't take it personally. :)

ok, gotta update my response. I bought some LB homespun the other day and I'm thinking about returning it. I know so many of ya'll love this stuff, but....:yuck I hate working with this yarn!! I'm making some prayer shawls, I really wanted to give the homespun another shot. Nope. I still hate it. It splits too badly and I end up spending more time frogging than crocheting....so this is a first for me. I'm returning it tomorrow. I really really do not know how you guys work with this spawn of the devil yarn....lol :hook

Hmm well if they do have a limit I am sure I have surpassed it. I do know I am limited on how often I can return.. it is something like 3 times in a few month period or something like that... On the third time within whatever time frame it is, I am given the "You cannot return any more things yada yada" and then I wait a few months and everything seems fine. So I am unsure what the time frame is.. but never has their been an amount restraint on me.

Nah./. I do not take it personally.. my post is just my experience, but the "humor" aspect of it to give some cviller's a chuckle... I STILL believe though that there is some kind of alert for me.. since now i need manager approval for all my returns! lol

What I have NOW started doing is keeping my receipts! (We shall see how long I can keep that up :P )

EDIT: now that I think about it.. maybe i DID surpass the amount in value in the past, and this being a small rural town they allowed it- and that is now why they require a manager override for my returns :P

I'm of the understanding that WalMart has a limit on how much you can return without a receipt per year. Both the number of receiptless returns, and the value of the items. Depending on the items, it can be a real hassle for them do the return itself, as well as try to restock them on the shelves in an attempt to re-sell.

Don't take it personally. :)

What size hook are you using? I -never- use anything smaller than a K, but I prefer L, M, or N.

Thanks for the tip Sue....I'm going to try that before I return it. I reall like the look of finished projects with this yarn, and its uber soft. I'll let you know how it goes.

Walmart's return policy is you can have no more than 3 no reciept refunds within a 6 month period of time. Anything over $10 dollars has to be given in the form of a gift card or even exchange. Don't even think if trying to return something and not have your driver's license if you don't have a reciept! I know this for fact, I was in charge of the front end operations at my Walmart in NC until January when I felt that I could do without them.

My state of mind is much better now that I left the stress of that place and took my crochet hook back up. And yes, I have return yard that I didn't need and exchanged it for another project.

Walmart's return policy is you can have no more than 3 no reciept refunds within a 6 month period of time. Anything over $10 dollars has to be given in the form of a gift card or even exchange. Don't even think if trying to return something and not have your driver's license if you don't have a reciept! I know this for fact, I was in charge of the front end operations at my Walmart in NC until January when I felt that I could do without them.

My state of mind is much better now that I left the stress of that place and took my crochet hook back up. And yes, I have return yard that I didn't need and exchanged it for another project.

Yes yes!! Thta is what I always get- a gift card :P And then it goes for toilet paper, soap, toys/ clothes for the kids.. and some YARN!!! :P)

And yeah one time.. i was reutnring something little and could not find my drivers license.. I had to go all the way back home and get it. So now I know the time frame is 6 mos!!! That is a good thing to know! But then I do not forsee any large returns in the near future... I really went through all that stuff because I really was short on $$ and needed things for home and for the kids.. etc my logic was, why have all that $$ sitting around in the form of yanre when I could be using it for things very much needed... So.. that is how that all becamse to be.. I remember though sitting there each time as they rung everything up.. oh they don't like me at all ... lol

I have exchanged yarn when I have bought too much for a project. I usually just exchange it for the next project. Another color is usually what I do. I also get tired of using the same color for more than one project, so I do exchange it.

Or sometimes, I donate my extra to my knitting/crochet group. A hat, a scarf, or something can be made and donated to someone who needs it.

So it never goes to waste.

Linda:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

I always buy more than i need just in case, and it also means i won't have to run out and leave the house just when i'm really getting into.

I always return my yarn as i mostly crochet and knit items for other people, whatever is left over from making their item I take back and get yarn for myself with, that way it feels like a treat and I'm not just shamelessly buying huge amounts of yarn, when i've clearly got enough already.

in fact i'm off to the shops tomorrow for a yarn swapping spree.

I usually don't buy enough yarn for projects. :blush I've only ever returned yarn once- it was Caron Jewel Box. I had purchased it for a shawl but after I got home, I thought it was too scratchy, so I returned it for something else. I felt very odd returning yarn, though- in fact, I called Michael's beforehand to be sure I could return it. LoL

Oh, I often return stuff, especially if it's something I probably wouldn't use again. That Trellis/Matrix stuff is such a nightmare to work with that if I have extra full balls I take it right back so I don't have to look at it!!!

:book

Raquel

Archived