Do You Return Yarn?

I tend to buy too much yarn for my projects....you know...just in case I need it.

If you do this to, what do you do with it? I mean, a brand new skein of yarn.....do you keep it? Do you return it? Do you exchange it for something else?

You wouldn't believe how many times I go to back to return/exchange the yarn I buy....LOL....it's somewhat embarassing!!

I have two extra balls from my poncho I just completed.....bernat softee chunkee....I'm returning the yarn I bought for the CAL....bernat illusions, it's too difficult to use...and I have an old skein of bernat soft boucle and bernat silky something or other. All new skeins not used. I'm gonna exchange all of it for new yarn for the CAL.

So, what do you do with your new unused extra skeins of yarn.....keep or return?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never returned yarn!

I usually buy a little extra, but if I make a baby thing, I'll just use it for a matching hat or booties, or save it for small projects - which is probably why my house is overflowing with yarn!

I have WANTED to return yarn, but never got around to it. I take that back, I tried to return a bunch of RH to Walmart once, but ended up exchanging about half of it. Lol.....

There are times that I'd like to return things (or exchange them) to get new skiens in another color/brand/style to match a current project. I seem to have quite a bit of yarn, but not enough of any one kind to finish a project. But I keep forgetting to keep my reciepts, so I usually end up buying even more.....

It's a vicious circle... :hook

Sure, I return yarn, but usually only stuff like Red Heart SS or Caron One Pounders or Simply Soft. Those are my "staples" and I always have lots. Sometimes though (and Jo-Anns is the worst with this) I'll have several skeins of different colors never touched and they'll finally get a batch of several skeins one color (where I could actually finish a project!) and I'll just go and exchange it.

Specialty yarns I hardly ever return. I have to watch my dollars and cents carefully so I don't purchase an expensive yarn lightly and usually use some kind of a coupon for it. So it depends, but for regular yarns, sure I'll return them....

Don't be embarressed! When I worked at Michaels people would actually try to return 1/2 used skeins and items made with the yarn saying they didn't like how it turned out! LOL Returning a new skein of yarn is nothing to be embarressed about!

I will surely return yarn. I usually over buy for a project, then if I need another type or color, I bundle up and return the extras. I do not have a great big stash cause of storage issues. And if I dislike working with a specialty yarn I have tried, any extra skeins or balls go back to the store. So, don't feel bad if you do return yarn! IMHO!!

I'm a keeper! I have never returned yarn either. What I have left (usually a lot, cause I often buy more than I need) from a project, I keep in my stash bins and make scarves and hats for charities, or little blankets for the homeless animals at our local animal shelter. Mercy, I've made at least 50 or 60 animal blankets that went over there. For some reason, my yarn stash doesn't ever seem to lessen.....it just keeps growing and growing. I love my stash :manyheart

Daisy.

Another keeper... if it's a "mainstream" worsted, it goes into a Snuggle Project blanket, and gets donated to my local humane society for the kitties and doggies there. :)

I tend to throw away my receipts, so I never return yarn. But I also end up with lots of new skeins, and once in a while, I go through my stash and make up something small for my friends with kitties. I also have done some squares for different charities, and I'm probalby going to make a scrap afghan or two in the near future.

I have seen so many signs posted that "Yarn may not be returned" that I had no idea that stores even did that. I demanded that a couple skeins be returned once because they had glued the label to the yarn and ruined about half the skein of each one. (I ALWAYS check the labels now before I buy!)

I only returned yarn once. I had just finished making a knitted shawl from Lion Brand using Speed Stiks. It called for 2 skeins of fun fur in one color and two in a contrasting color and 1 skein of Homespun. Well, Michael's had Paton's Allure on sale so I bought four skeins ( two in each color ) instead of Fun Fur. I also bought four more in different colors to go with another skein of Homespun for a second shawl. Big mistake! I ended up exchanging the four other skeins of Allure for four more in the colors to match the first shawl as it ended up using 8 skeins with the Homespun to make a shawl. The shawl is gorgeous but I am not giving this one away. I do have 6 skeins of fun fur ( I got them recently at our local Ocean State Job Lot for 10.00) to use with the other skein of Homespun for the next shawl. I hope that is enough to finish that one. All of my other extra skeins are used for smaller projects or scrap afghans .

Wendyb532

Seems like most people keep it....cool!

Well, I exchanged all my yarn today. I even exchanged 2 skeins that I didn't have the recipt for! Zellers is good for that!

I'm a hoarder. :hook Return good yarn (or fabric, or beads, or rubber goldfish, or washers)? Why, I might need that exact thing one day and it would be a waste of time and $$ to go out and buy it again. :blush

In my defense, I do always seem to need something dreadfully a month or so after I throw it out. Right now I'm kicking myself for not keeping part of my old heavy clear vinyl shower curtain (the non-slimy, icky, mildewy part, of course) because I need a small piece of vinyl for an iPod cozy and wouldn't that have been perfect? :shrug

I have returned yarn once at HL. I bought several skeins & started a project only to HATE working with the yarn by the 2nd row. It was a Yarn Bee sport boucle. I returned all of it. Recently I bought some of the Yarn Bee Special Effects & I hate that too! I may return it or ebay it. It's an expensive yarn too. But I didn't like it after the first row lol! I am having bad experiences with yarn bee for some reason...???

Usually, I keep leftover skeins for scrap yarn. Besides that, I lose receipts LOL!

I've returned a ladder type of yarn because I hated working with it, but ended up with another kind of yarn in its place, lol! Otherwise, I'm a stashbuilder, and tend to buy yarn that I think would be great to work with. I never seem to buy enough and always end up short, can't figure that out sometimes.

return yarn?

whats this? i have never heard of this concept... my stash builds and builds even when i dont buy. i am the only person anyone i know knows who crochets so when anyone dies/moves/stops knitting/crocheting i automatically inherit EVERYTHING. sometimes good sometimes bad, but its free, can't complain about free!

return yarn?

whats this? i have never heard of this concept... my stash builds and builds even when i dont buy. i am the only person anyone i know knows who crochets so when anyone dies/moves/stops knitting/crocheting i automatically inherit EVERYTHING. sometimes good sometimes bad, but its free, can't complain about free!

I got my first introduction into fine yarn through an inheritance that way... a friend had a friend who's friend was a knitter and she passed away... they didn't know anyone else who used yarn. I got some gorgeous wools and some irish linen that I'm still, 15 years later, trying to find just the right project for!

I typically buy yarn with a specific project in mind, or on sale.

I figure any extras I'll just pack away by type (RH WW together, Caron SS together) and make 'scrap' items later. :hook

Now if I were to start buying high-end unusual yarn that wasn't on sale, I'd probably do the project using it right away and return any extra yarn to a local store.

I keep the receipts, get to the end forever later, can't find the receipt, and so end up keeping it. I actually returned yarn for the first time just today. Yesterday bought some of the Evita from the Dollar Tree - that stuff's about impossible to work with! Returned it, but they don't take stuff back, just for exchange, so found they'd gotten some of the velour yarn in, so exchanged it for that. So I STILL didn't return any - but the velour is a bunch more yards in each skein, so it filled up 2 bags instead of one. Does that mean I'm ahead?:think

Archived