Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Well, better luck next time at the store, Brandy - Hope you can find what you're searching for . It might be the same problem our walmart has right now. their yarn supply is very low too . They said it's inventory time and they won't be putting out much new stuff til they get all the old counted . It also seems they are getting rid of several brands of yarn . The ss is almost totally wiped out, some of the specialty yarns are gone ,and mainly they only have Red Heart as their main yarn now .It'll be interesting to see what they stock here when inventory is over .

Nothing wrong with Red Heart-- if that's what they have , then that's what i'll use. It is a very sturdy well made yarn . I've been getting a little spoiled with the ss -- it is so easy to work with .

I guess it will be easier for you to choose colors once you pick the pattern .

Let us know ~:)

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you just hate that? Go in a store all set to pick out your colors and THERE'S NONE LEFT!!! Fortunately I have a Hobby Lobby, A Michael's and a JoAnn Fabrics all within 5 miles of each other so if one store is out the other will surely have what I'm looking for. Oh, we also have a WalMart smack dab in the middle! Let us know ----- churn dash or job's troubles! Either would be beautiful.

Julie

If you are like me that new yarn for prairie star will be haunting you until you start on it! I can't stand it to have something waiting to be done. I just HAVE to try a few squares and of course --- then I'm hooked!!! Yes, these men haven't a clue, do they? Of course, when it comes to anything with his boat it has to be perfect. He doesn't say too much as we are always getting a box from Cabala's. Something, a little trinket, for the boat, so he doesn't say too much. That boat is why I am getting a new puppy in May.:yay She was just born 2 weeks ago today and we can get her when she is 7 weeks old.:clap

Lynn

Hi Lynn. What kind of puppy is it? Unfortunately we live about an hour to an hour and half away from all the good stores. Just walmart and the internet for me. :sigh I maybe making a trip to Rockford Friday so I will get to to do Joann's.:jumpyay Keeping fingers crossed and I am still looking online for something too. Plus this way I will be able to get my bolero done.

Hi Lynn. What kind of puppy is it? Unfortunately we live about an hour to an hour and half away from all the good stores. Just walmart and the internet for me. :sigh I maybe making a trip to Rockford Friday so I will get to to do Joann's.:jumpyay Keeping fingers crossed and I am still looking online for something too. Plus this way I will be able to get my bolero done.

brandy, have you ever been to the smileys yarn website? they have some pretty good prices.

Lynn - good luck with your new doggie !

and yea, the yarn would be bothering me, but I have bags of it stuffed in the closet. it has to be put away where I can't see it. The pile of yarn I have could get to be overwhelming if I SAW it laying out all the time . I'd feel like I had to shovel all the sand off Myrtle Beach with a teaspoon .

Brandy - we don't have quite that far to go for yarn stores, but walmart is closest and handiest . It's about 10 minutes away. The Joann's and Hobby Lobby and Michael's are all about half an hour away .

Thank you ladies for the welcome I think I am going to like it in here alot. I saw on a post about the 200 squares book I went shopping and cant find it in ohio anywhere guess we take to long to get things in. I do have the book with the 63 different squares although I have not made any of them lol. I think I am going to try the around the world afghan. Im contemplating taking one of the afghans I have that is getting a hole or two a part and using that yarn for it. That is unless I find something better. What do you think if i put a red, pink, and a mauve together you think that would look okay or sort of ugly? Any opinions will be appreciated. I have so much yarn like a skein here or there and have never made a scrap one guess Im not so good at figuring what colors go with what. Andrea

Brandy - Its a Golden Retriever from Dichi Kennel in Wisconsin. In fact they are right on the Wisc. River. We have one Golden girl now, she is 8 yrs old. Lost her dad in December, just old age, he was 13 1/2. Now my Sunny girl is lonely and we are ready for another puppy so have one reserved from this litter.

Andrea, Welcome!:) I think those colors sound intriguing. They are all in the same family so I wouldn't think you could go too wrong there. Maybe add an accent color - black maybe? Black goes yummy with all those colors.

Lynn

Julie, just as I thought...you have a Hobby Lobby in your area. Hobby Lobby doesn't exist in the Northeast.....yet :( So I guess I'm lucky that I have Joanne, Wal-Mart, Michael's and A.C. Moore so close to me. :yay This afternoon I started my quilt lapghan. This is going to be awesome! :cheer I have to download Photobucket so I can post pics.

Aaaahhhh. So, Julie when you say you're in my neck of the woods you mean Ohio. I'm in Arizonaand SURPRISE! that is the name of the town (Surprise that is). There are some pretty interesting city names out here including Surprise, Happy Valley, and Show Low. Either way, I got my yarn today and another magazine with a cool afghan in it. If you haven't got the Interweave Press Crochet Magazine for Spring yet, you should get it. Cool stuff!

Arizona here, too. . . Tempe to be exact! I wish we had Hobby Lobby out here!!!

Julie, I'm definitely doing a star 'ghan. . . probably the Patchwork Quilt from my "Home Sweet Home Afghans" book. You can see a pic here! I'll do the same palette, and it'll likely be a holiday gift for my Aunt's family. Yee! One gift down, only a few zillion more to go :P

Thank you. But I cant take credit for the hat. My daughter made that one. I just got that magazine today and I am going to make the flip flops and that blue sweater on the pages right before the sandals. Love that magazine. Now my daughter is asking for me to make her some stuff out of it and I told her to get to crocheting...She can make em herself. LOL

Andrea Your colors sound very pretty. It will make a beautiful afghan . Glad you decided to jump in with us .

Gleda

Can't wait to see some photos ! Well, I may be among the minority but I don't really like Hobby Lobby myself . Too MANY choices-- it's just too confusing to go there . I like Michaels and JoAnns ok though .

Maria -Yep, I'm from good old Ohio . No SURPRISES here ,as I'm sure you know if you lived here ! :lol

Celeste- lovely choice ! I know it'll turn out great -- all your stuff does !

Julie....AAargh!!:confused :grump :rant:thair

Hello, :U

I hope you are doing well. I know I don't post that often, especially lately. This is because I have been trying to work on finishing all the UFO's on my plate. I know, I know, I didn't HAVE to sign up for any of them. You all are just so FUN, and warm, and engaging. - and the projects are all so beautiful.... I just have to face the fact that I am not as quick and organized as you all are. And I absolutely refuse! to start another one without finishing the others. I mean, my husband actually complained that he couldn't DUST the hutch today (my crocheting is in the way) - can you believe that!

I DID finish my 35 (turned 56) square afghan though.

AND I made another square for my 63 Square Afghan....and did 2 inches on my bobbles and petals afghan started in the 1990's sometime :blush

I would LOVE to do the prairie star - or another quilt totally of my own imagining. :c9

HMMM...I guess I have some soul-searcing to do.:think

Hi, Julie!

Hey, I'm 48, too - but no grandkids (my son is only 8!!) - DH is calling bedtime, and I can't stay - spent the whole day chasing down patterns - can you say ADHD? Well, that's me - no focus. anyway, did get one of the 63 squares done last night, and found that my best friend wants it for her living room (colors are just what she wants, go figure!), so now that it has an eagerly waiting recipient, maybe the 63 square thing will move a little more quickly.

on the quilt pattern, I'm waffling between the baby tumbling blocks and the prairie star - I have several of the afghan patterns we've discussed in this thread, and the range of choices is just too hard to narrow down! will try harder tomorrow. (Say goodnight, gracie.....)

and, did anybody ever ask you about the routine checkup you had on day one of this thread? I saw your postings before the appt, but didn't see the outcome? ok, I hope?

love the interaction here - this thread is jumping!

Hi Julie! Do you know how tempting that 9 patch and star are? hummm I need to think about this :scrachin...they really are tempting :dreaming...hummm

:woo Julie, I just wanted to give you an update on the quilt afghan that I have started. So far I have eight squares done, which you put four squares together to make one pinwheel square. It is going along real well. I was just wondering:think when you join squares together what method do you use to join them.:scrachin

No, sorry ,wrong movie ...

How about It's a Wonderful Life ?

Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings

Every time a CAL starts , time to gather up your things .

Choose a pattern and a hook

Can't decide yet ? Take another look .

What about all the colors of yarn ?

Do you want Burgundy red, or more like the shade of a barn ?

How about blues ,browns or greens ?

So many colors I have seen .

Any would look pretty in a quilt made by you

Do you have anything BETTER to do ?

For anyone out there still riding the fence

Climb on down and join us, it's only common sense .

Who wouldn't want to be a part of a nice gang like this ?

It's an experience you don't want to miss ! :D

Good morning, Diane ! Great to hear from you again .

Well, search your soul and go get some more yarn . I need some backup when I do my Prairie Star ,so I'm trying to talk a posse into joining up with me.

I need to screw up the courage to start it. You guys will give me the backup I need !

Keep on sawing away on those other projects-- start with the one that is closest to being done,so you can get one out of the way at least . I know, I don't like having lots of projects to work on all at the same time either .

This place is like a YARN JUNKIE's WORST NIGHTMARE .

I'll be waiting here for you . You are always a joy to have in the group .

PS- TIP OF THE DAY

This one's for your husband .

Tell him to dust with a snow shovel. That's what I use . :D

Hi Patricia

Yea, I think we have quite a few people in the group that are in the Fabulous Forties ! We got married and had all our kids BAM-BAM-BAM , so we have had an empty nest now for almost 5 years . Although my nest usually has my grandson in it , which is great . He is the funniest person I've ever met -- such a comedian . He makes me laugh every day .

Keep on chugging along on your 63-- that WILL make it go faster if you know someone is waiting on it. At least that's how I work.. If I promise an afghan to someone, I try harder on it to get it finished quicker .

I know , it's hard to choose from all the patterns, but you'll pick a good one I bet (pick the prairie star .....:D )

Joking -- you can pick any one you want .

Thanks for asking about my Dr visit . Yep, I'm ok .Thank heavens I'm done for another 6 months. I am PETRIFIED of doctors . I'd rather wrap a snake around my neck and wear it for a scarf . :lol

Archived