Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Hi, Shelly!

:sigh, I was a dull stick (pun not intended...) going to grad school - never went anywhere, but to class. There were lively computer science grad students, but I wasn't one of 'em. :think Didn't know how to crochet then, either. Glad I know how to do that now!:hook

On the other hand, would you believe I got to play football in the Memorial Stadium at U of I? And on one play, I sacked the quarterback, too! Ok, ok, so it was flag football. and they marked off half of the field for us to play on. And the other guys never expected a girl to charge the quarterback, or catch him if she did. (Surprised me, too!) My moment of sports history, doncha know! :yay:cheer:blush

It's kind of funny, considering back in high school and college, all I thought football was good for was to keep folks entertained until the marching band came on to do our halftime show!

Patricia - if you ever made it to Allerton Park while you were studying in Chambana...the park is just outside Monticello where I live. If you come back for a visit sometime...let me know. My parents-in-law are big tailgaters...so were always at the games and stuff on campus!

Anyway, I'll look y'all up if I'm ever back that way - you never know where life will take you, eh?:lol

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning folks --

Well today is a new day and I'm ready to tackle the world again. ( So I'd better get into Full Zone Defense just in case )

Anyhow, I slept like a log last night and am raring to go again today .

Thanks for keeping the boards hopping -- that's what makes this place fun .

Gleda -- how does your join as you go method work ? Do you join each square as you finish it ? Sounds like a great idea !

Theresa

Yea I guess we all have folks in our life like that ... but I seem to have an overabundance of them . Wish they would have divided them up a little more evenly .:) Sounds like you're off to a running start with your afghan -- good for you ~

Celeste- thanks for the cheering section - I may need it -- that's a LOT of squares to get done. I'll have to get some pictures posted of mine- although right now they will look kinda boring -- just a giant pile of wee little squares !

Wow, Andrea- you must be a night owl compared to me. You guys would laugh your buns off if i told you when I go to bed ! I bet my grandson stays up later than I do, and he's 3 .

Linda- My gosh, those squares are SO pretty ! That afghan will be a stunner !

To those who asked:

Originally the pattern called for 15 squares (3 x 5) but I was worried the afghan wouldn't be wide enough so I'm going to aim for 20 squares (4 x 5). Of course maybe I'll get 3 strips of 5 squares together and figure it's good enough?

I did not make any progress last night as I was taking calls for a pledge drive here at the local PBS station. They were selling DVDs of the recent taping of the Antiques Roadshow in Bismarck. It was fun to hear the tales of people who had gone! One woman even had her shirt signed by the Keno brothers while she was wearing it! :eek She sounded pretty enthusiastic too :lol

Well, after spending the better part of yesterday trying to figure out a way to make the pinwheels before hand then stitching them on, I had to dump that idea and follow the instructions instead. (GASP!)

So, I got all organized and put 2 skeins of each color in a wal-mart bag and instead of carrying the colors over I changed skeins each time I needed a color change. I started this method at about 9:30pm last night and was so involved that I didn't get to bed til almost midnight! (Actually, that was my DH's fault. I wasn't watching the clock as he was working on his term paper and since he has to get up at 4:30 in the morning I figured I would just go to bed with him. Well, when I went to bed at midnight he was still up. I don't know how he does it. I need my 8 hours of sleep and since I didn't get that last night I'm a zombie this morning! UGH!) Anyway, back on topic, I really like the way it looks doing it per the instructions but I really don't know how long this is going to take me to finish. I sure hope my dad appreciates this! The throw I made him for Christmas my step-sister already snagged. I am sending instructions that this is for my dad only! LOL Actually, I promised to make my step-sister another throw just like the one I made dad for her and my mom is getting a sweater so they should all be happy with their treats!

Now, to get this done by June 1st. That's my goal!!!!!

Brandy...I got my pattern from a lion brand pamphlet I got at Micheal's...but here is the link on the lionbrad website.

http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1920694971.html

Linda... you're squares are very pretty...can't wait to see it finished.

well this is a progress report . I haven't taken a picture yet but I did one complete square . It looks really nice dh says he likes it.

I have done

Burgandy 11

woodsy green 12

sage 8

aran 9

a long ways from done.

I need :

Woodsy Green --Make 124 ------------need 112

Aran----------- Make 93--------------need 84

Sage---------- Make 48--------------need 40

Burgandy ----- Make 20 --------------need 9

" MUST KEEP MAKING SQUARES":drool

it's been one day since i picked up a hook. :blush yesterday, i went to dig up a bush that a friend was going to have torn out of her yard. it's got beautiful red/orange flowers and i've always wanted one. well, 2 hours, one big blister,and a bunch of pokes (the darn thing has thorns!)later, and the bush won. i'd never seen anything with such roots. must have been planted there by the pioneers.

by the time i got home, i was worn out. i had early quits last night and laid and finished a book i was reading. got up sore all over this morning and my hands are stiff and full of stickers. got those picked out and a bandaid on the blister. i dtry to overdo at least once or twice a year and the spring one is always the worse. today, i'm going to behave myself and do what i should have done yesterday. crochet.:hook

of course, dad has been finding mushrooms in his woods the last few days. and it's a beautiful day outside.

wow, julie, i thought i had alot of squares to make.:eek and andrea, little squares joined into big squares, joined together? thats alot of joining. i made one nine patch once, just to see how it would look. i bow to your patience.

okay everybody, have a great day and i'm off to see where today takes me.

Morning ,everyone

Sounds like you are all chugging right along with your afghans -- keep it up. You guys are a bunch of dedicated crocheters !

I only have Cam half a day today so I should have some time to get more squares done this afternoon !

I'll check in later on today . :)

Y~M~C~A

You must crochet

Young and old alike

Do it , or go take a hike .

Grab your hook and some yarn

If you do it too much , you'll have a sore arm .

Afghans, dishcloths, slippers and toys

If you can do All these, you're running with the Big Boys .

Make some magic, with a hook and some yarn

You can't beat it , your items have charm .

They are made with a lot of care, everyone

So make something for someone for whom a kindness needs done .

I said young girls, are you listening to me ?

There's nothing better to do with your time after three.

You're out of school with little to do

So stop shaking your booty and we will teach you ...

This is a much better thing to do with your time

Than wearing a shirt the size of a washcloth , and thin as a dime .

Oldsters, including people like me , can have fun with this

Try it, you'll see !

It's fun to be in the YMCA

You gotta be in the YMCA

Come on folks, please listen to me .

This song is in my head ,

What's it doing to me ?

I can't end this, or so it would seem

That song is in there, what's it doing to me ?

Jump on in ,you all sing along

I want to wear the Indian outfit

Which one will you be ?

What's this song done to me ?

I LOVE THE VILLAGE PEOPLE . Are you all making the YMCA arm signals with me ?

:laughrollJulie that was awesome!! Just too funny.

--

Checking in with a progress report: I've got 48 diamonds done -- only 6 more to go and the middle star of the Prairie Star will be done. Then it's a bunch of white diamonds, then the outer colored diamonds around the white. Sometimes I feel like I've gotten so far, and then others I feel like I'm getting NO WHERE! :bang

AND to top it off, I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like where I've placed the colors :(:think Not like I can do anything about it now -- I don't have time to start all over (nor the desire! lol)

On the other hand, this is going much quicker than I thought it would. I'm pleased with the progress for the most part and am anxious to see a bit more of it together to really be able to tell whether I like it or not.

I'm loving getting to see everyone else's quilt-ghans so far! :D

Linda,

LOVE your squares! So vibrant! Can't wait to see the finished afghan!

Lynn

Y~M~C~A

You must crochet

Young and alike

Do it , or go take a hike .

Grab your hook and some yarn

If you do it too much , you'll have a sore arm .

Afghans, dishcloths, slippers and toys

If you can do All these, you're running with the Big Boys .

Make some magic, with a hook and some yarn

You can't beat it , your items have charm .

They are made with a lot of care, everyone

So make something for someone for whom a kindness needs done .

I said young girls, are you listening to me ?

There's nothing better to do with your time after three.

You're out of school with little to do

So stop shaking your booty and we will teach you ...

This is a much better thing to do with your time

Than wearing a shirt the size of a washcloth , and thin as a dime .

Oldsters, including people like me , can have fun with this

Try it, you'll see !

It's fun to be in the YMCA

You gotta be in the YMCA

Come on folks, please listen to me .

This song is in my head ,

What's it doing to me ?

I can't end this, or so it would seem

That song is in there, what's it doing to me ?

Jump on in ,you all sing along

I want to wear the Indian outfit

Which one will you be ?

What's this song done to me ?

I LOVE THE VILLAGE PEOPLE . Are you all making the YMCA arm signals with me ?

Oh, dear. Now this song will be stuck in my head all day! :lol

Hi, JulieKay, :hug

After lurking about on this thread, I've decided to join along. My daughter had asked me to make her an afghan sooo-o I gathered up all my WW. I plan to do a Flying Geese design, good for all my scrappies. I already started yesterday evening before heading out to work, and have twelve half grannies done. I have six skeins of Paton Decor in beige (got it on sale at my LYS) for my base. Pictures forthcoming...

Thanks for joining up ! We always like to see new faces ,along with all the old ones . Hope you have a great time with us .

We'll be excited to see some pictures when you get them ready .

I guess I'll take some pictures of my squares -not much to see yet as far as a design . I don't have any of them put together yet-- I'll do that all at once at the end .

I DID get smart though and am now weaving in each end as I finish each square .

Drop in and post as often as you want .

I'm sure some of you could say this in your sleep :

You guys know the drill -- my motto :

A busy message board is the sign of a successful group . :D

I'll tell you what, AJ -

You are either the world's fastest crocheter, or else the most talented one in the country .

From the sounds of the pattern, it about scares the life out of me . Yet you are sailing through it like a Russian Racehorse .

I think me and you should trade places .

YOU lead, I'll follow .

I thought I was outstanding in my field , and I am ---

LIKE A COW . :D

1 square down - a bunch more to go!!!

I am so excited! I finally finished my first square! I was almost done this morning then realized that I missed a stitch about 10 rows back so had to frog and restitch. (Have I mentioned that I hate graphs? :yuck)

Anyway, I finally got it finished and am a little bit more motivated since seeing it finally done. Weird thing is that my square is wider than it is tall. My gauge is right so I don't know what I did but at this point I don't care! It's not off by much and when I join the squares it'll just have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h!!!

I'll tell you what, AJ -

You are either the world's fastest crocheter, or else the most talented one in the country .

From the sounds of the pattern, it about scares the life out of me . Yet you are sailing through it like a Russian Racehorse .

I think me and you should trade places .

YOU lead, I'll follow .

I thought I was outstanding in my field , and I am ---

LIKE A COW . :D

Oh Julie, I was TERRIFIED of this pattern when I first started. But it's actually not as bad as it seems. And once you get the hang of it, it gets easier and easier. This is the first time I've done a square or diamond motif afghan. I tried one a few months ago and about ripped my hair out because the idea of working so hard on all those squares and still having to sew them together at the end made me feel so defeated. With this one being join-as-you-go, I'm much more comfortable.

As far as leading -- uh uh, no way, jose! I could NEVER do as good a job as you. And I can't make up those cool poems, either!!

:manyheart

Well Good Afternoon all. Hope everyone is having a great day. I cleaned out my yarn yesterday and found some many beautiful colors that I forgot about having. I sat down last nite and put different colors together to see how they would look. I finally pinned down Country Blue, Cornmeal, Med Country Blue, and Tan. And I decided on making the Churn Dash. I would have taken pics of what I did so far but my daughter took my camera to Chicago with her today for the band trip. I havent worked too much on it yet. Got busy making potato salad and baked beans for dinner tonite. Will get pics posted tomorrow on my blog page. Going to get off here and finish up laundry and see if I can crochet some more before I have to go pick up my son. Have a great one all.

Archived