Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Linda --

Well, I usually always go with the sc joining ,but some people don't like it because it leaves a ridge. If you do sl st joining , it leaves a little smaller ridge, or you can always go with sewing them together, but I avoid that at all costs, only because I HATE to sew -- but a lot of people prefer that since it leaves a nice flat neat -looking join .

So, I didn't help you a heck of a lot ,did I ? Anyhow, I like sc-- it just goes really quick for me, that's another reason I like it so much .

We'd like to see a photo when you get a square put together if you get the chance !

oh no Julie not 2 at a time lol!!! IF I finish the pinwheels then maybe :) I think I will be going with the same colors that the pattern suggested white/cream for the background and pastel green, lilac,pink,powder blue , lemon yellowand one more color I am missing for the pinwheels:)

I so want to do the prairie star too but will definitely have to wait.. maybe a separate cal for that lol!!!

Hugs

Vims

Ok, I think I've decided on a pattern. I think I'm going to do this one!

I am planning on making my dad an afghan with a pocket in the end for his feet and another pocket for a heating pad or something so I would like it to be a squares afghan where you put it together so that it'll be easier to sew on the pockets. My mom prefers all blue, and I already have the navy blue in SS. Now I'm deciding on doing the other colors in red and white or in shades of blue...

I should be able to get started on this next week! I hope! :hook

I sure wish my ship would come rolling in :laughroll :laughroll :rofl so I wouldn't have to work and could have a least three maids to do all my house work then I could have all the time to :hook :hook :hook :hook and do all the projects that I want to do. Hey that kind of sounds like crocheter's heaven!!!:fame Not a bad idea,ugh?:woo

Donna

Sounds like you have agood idea for what you want in your afghan . Can't wait to see how it turns out !

Linda

I know what you mean about the housework ... I tend to put it off sometimes til I'm in the mood, like every third Leap Year . :D

Julie --- I knew we were alike! That's when I do my best work too - around 5 or 5:30 am. House is quiet, just me and the tv (and maybe hubby drinking his coffee but he has learned to shut up, expecially when he sees me counting). Even the dog hasn't gotten up yet. I just LOVE early morning hours when the brain isn't fogged over yet from all the insignificant little life things. Some days that's the only crochet time I get. Most of the time if I drag it all downstairs to the family room, it just sits there anyway. By night time I'm too tired and the light isn't too good by my couch anyway.

Lynn

Just got back from Joanns with some of my yarn! Hubby and daughters went to his parents house to start cleaning up the yard. I begged off saying I had too much laundry and house cleaning today and besides, I have to get some sleep sometime in order to go into work tonight:devil. So I snuck off to Joanns as the washer was washing and the dryer was drying! I got three of the five colors needed. That's enough to get started for awhile, next week I can get the remaining two colors! WOOHOO. I'm doing the Attic Windows and am doing it in brown, tan, cream and two shades of blue or turquoise. (although I may change from blue to something else, not sure yet) I bought the inexpensive stuff too. Carons One Pounds. Then I went next door to Good Will just to see if they had any yarn. I came out with green, brown, and red...but I really don't know what it is....but sheez I only spent 3 bucks. It came on cones and the inside tag says it is from Spinnerin in South Hackensack N.J.. I'm sure I'll find a use for it eventually! And some Pebble Beach from Reynolds Yarns for 50 cents. I'll use that for trim on something sometime. Now I really must get to cleaning and laundry so I have time to start this ghan tonight! LOL

Theresa "2"

Lynn,

I agree , early morning is the best. I always go shopping really early .Best time for the stores-- no crowds, no waiting in lines . Peace and quiet .

Theresa - Congrats on choosing a pattern , part of your yarn and also on the other good bargains you got at goodwill .

You little dickens-- sneaking off to yarn shop when you're supposed to be doing housework .....

None of the rest of us would do that, would we gang ?:D

Hi, Rosette!

thanks to Julie's picture, I realized not only did I have this booklet, I have two of 'em!

If anyone wants the second one, please send me an email - we'll trade, swap or something. By the way, it says it has 5 afghans, but really, there are only 3 patterns; Churn Dash, Job's troubles, and Attic Windows. Numbers 4 and 5 are color variations on Churn Dash and Job's troubles.

Hi Rosette

I found your pattern booklet -- here's the photo to save you the trouble of searching for it

http://www.northbreeze.com/Patterns/CrochetPatterns/Afghans-LeisureArts2431-QuiltAfghans3.htm

Are you doing the one on the front or are there others listed in there too ?

It is BEAUTIFUL !

[quote name=

PS- TIP OF THE DAY

This one's for your husband .

Tell him to dust with a snow shovel. That's what I use . :D

i thought thats what those cans of air are for. :think

i finally decided to do the around the world quilt. i've got 7 color combinations of the 3 colors i picked out and am making the rainbow square. it's easy to do and fast. but it makes a 3 and a half inch square, so it's gonna take a bunch of them. so far i've got 18 done out of (i think) 313, if i counted right. i'll make those and put it together. then if i need to, i can always make more.http://home.wideopenwest.com/~sag55/rain.html. i would have had more done, but i saw a bunny in the original pattern links thread and had to run out and buy some chocolate brown yarn and make one. with a bite out of his ear, of course. i'd never made a stuffed animal before. he's a hoot!!:P i'm gonna put a pic of him on my blog.

okay, back to making squares.:hook

Hi, Julie!

I'm proud to join the CAL-dust-biting gold stars on *your* monitor! I can't think of a better weakness to have :) .

Well, I did as you requested and glued another gold star on my computer screen ,since I convinced another of you to BITE THE DUST , so to speak ! :lol

I'm glad I finally found a CAL that hooked you enough to give in and GO FOR IT !!!! [oh, it was only a matter of time; you're a pretty dynamic coach - but this one is well worth "falling" for!]

As for the time, I do spend a large part of my time here online. ..... [i'll bet!]

As far as my grandson, he's the greatest joy in my life ..... He is really the one thing I do that takes up a big part of my life, but i wouldn't trade that for all the yarn in the world !

So, I'm going to have to give up my hope of a magic solution? :2magic And I was so counting on it, too.... My (8 yr old) boy is a real joy to me, too. He is a cuddler, and I value every minute I get of it - I've been told to count those moments, since he could become *too cool* to hug me any minute now as he grows older.

Dazy -

Sounds like you have a good start -- you have your pattern and colors picked out and squares started -- yep, they do turn out small, so if you want a nice-sized afghan it'll take a pile of them. I have worked all weekend on mine ( when I'm not on here ) and am now weaving in ends .. YEK- why'd I save those til I got a HUGE pile done ?

NOTE TO SELF -

WEAVE IN EACH END AS YOU MAKE EACH SQUARE .

PS- what cans of air are you talking about ? I'm mixed up . You mean those AIR HORNS ?

NOTE TO SELF -

WEAVE IN EACH END AS YOU MAKE EACH SQUARE

LOL THanks for that as I need to remember that myself!

Ok, I think I've gone ahead and decided on red, white and blue. I guess this could be considered my project for both the Patriotic CAL and this one at the same time? :laughroll:laughroll:laughroll:laughroll

Donna - you sound like me now -- i want to do ALL the crochetalongs at once, so I'm trying to combine the following all into one :

Patriotic

Mile a Minute

200 Blocks

Quilt -ghan

Ripple.

Pardon my French, but DANG --- How in the heck could I do ONE afghan that will cover all THESE bases ?

CANNOT BE DONE . :lol

Patriotic

Mile a Minute

200 Blocks

Quilt -ghan

Ripple.

:lol

Hi Julie. You could combine at least four out of the five together. Do the 200 blocks in patriotic colors then sew them together diamond shape for the ripple and in a pattern to resemble a quilt. :hook Took me about 10 mins to figure that out...:rofl Not feeling too good today....Brain is not working. Just wanted to drop in and see what everyone had decided on doing today. I still havent figured mine out yet. Have a great one all.:)

Okay Okay Julie now I'm hooked on your crochet alongs I went out to find yarn tonite to do the Nine Patch afghan. I picked a drk country blue, with a lighter one a beige and cream colored. I really want to do the cathedral one but to no avail can i find the bloomin pattern anywhere unless i want to pay $50 for it as of this am thats what it was going for on ebay. Hate when I have my mind set on something and cant find it lol. Good luck with all of your projects. Andrea:cheer

julie, :rolleyes if you're gonna slack on housework, at least do it right. :lol my husband buys those cans of compressed air that are supposed to be used to blow the dust out of his camera equipment, computers, etc. but it will also blast the dirt right off the shelves. it's kinda expensive to use for that, but we all gotta make sacrifices.:heehee

andrea, have you looked at your local library to see if they might have a book with that pattern in it?

they dont have very many crochet books at all i only saw two and one i think was crocheting for dummies lol. (maybe i should pick that book up). thank you for the suggestion though i will keep looking.

Archived