Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have decided on the Attic Windows pattern I found in "Vanna's Favorite Gift Afghans" book. There is also a pattern for the double wedding ring afghan quilt, but I think I will try to do that next. I couldn't find any pictures on the net of the attic windows anywhere! So I will try to post some as I progress. I have to wait to get yarn till at least next week, unless my rich Uncle gets out of the poor house and sends me some money! Anyway the colors I am going to use are what is called for or as close as I can get anyway.....brown, tan, cream, and two shades of blue. I can't wait to get started so maybe I can squeeze enough money out of the couch and between the car seats to at least get the brown to start the squares! I'm off to hunt for loose change!:clap

Theresa "2"

Call me crazy...but I am someday soon going to try to crochet this!

http://www.quilterscache.com/Inspirations.html

It's been a long time since I tried to make a pattern from a picture, and some things I don't have much luck....but from looking at the template (if you click on the picture it takes you to the template) I think it should be fairly easy? I am going to try as soon as I can get some other things done! I just fell in love with this quilt when I saw it!

Theresa "2"

P.S.....It's Linda's Best Friends quilt...scroll down the page about half way!

Just picked up a half truckload of yarn to make a double wedding ring quilt - burgandy, rose and white! It is made in about 8,000 pieces and then hooked together, so as long as we're all in it for the long haul... I'm 41 or 42 now, so we can keep this CAL going for 10 or 15 years, right? I am IN!

Well my pattern has changed again. So, I'm doing a monogram A surrounded by green block in the center, then a small border in yellow with green blocks in the corner, then a bigger border in green with yellow blocks in the corner and then finally a scalloped border in white with green stitching around. If you saw my little drawings with all of my ideas it would make your head spin! Now, I just need to do it. Off to LYS tomorrow. Julie, have you heard of Needlers Nest in Surprise? It's a nice store. I don't know how far that is from you though.

Hey Brenda -

Well, if you are going to listen to your star charts, then I guess I'd better lay my hook down too ! I am also an Aquarius, Jan. 30th .

Of course this will take a lot of time, but it'll all be worth it in the end, you'll see !

The picture looks so pretty ! Could you maybe come up with enough shades if you used blues and purples together ? That kinda looks like what they did .

Don't drop out -- aren't us Aquarians supposed to be stubborn and bull-headed and don't give up ? ( Oh, no, that's just ME ... I'm as stubborn as a mule ) :lol

Well, I did as you requested and glued another gold star on my computer screen ,since I convinced another of you to BITE THE DUST , so to speak ! :lol

I'm glad I finally found a CAL that hooked you enough to give in and GO FOR IT !!!!

As for the time, I do spend a large part of my time here online. I watch my grandson 4 days a week now, so that leaves me 3 to do whatever I want . My husband is very low maintenance .We've been married almost 30 years, so we both pretty much have our lives down pat ( or some might call it a RUT ) where life is pretty simple .

We're kinda like Paris and Nicole ( The Simple Life ) only neither one of us is rich or pretty . I don't work, I'm a housewife so that gives me large chunks of time to do what I want .Our kids are all grown, married and on their own . ( WHEW)

As far as my grandson, he's the greatest joy in my life . When he's here I don't spend nearly as much time online or crocheting . He is almost 4, and will be going to preschool this fall , so that will give me even more free time ( HEADS UP--- MORE CAL's scheduled for Fall )

He is really the one thing I do that takes up a big part of my life, but i wouldn't trade that for all the yarn in the world !

Anyhow, I don't know if that answered your question very well, but that's pretty much my life. We live in a very small boring town, aren't exactly party animals -- a new flavor of Hamburg Helper is about as exciting as it gets here .

I like it that way, though ! Couldn't be more content . :manyheart

PS- Patricia - forgot to say, this part is a blast -- it's like a contest to me, to see if I can keep up with you all and answer EVERY post . If you guys REALLY want to make it fun, post EVEN MORE . I have my fingers ground down to the first knuckle now, trying to type and keep up with you all. If you grind them down ANOITHER knuckle, I'll HAVE to give up CAL's . I can't crochet or type with STUBS . :D

Dazy- keep searching, you'll decide on one soon !

Brandy- Wish I could help you on the posting photos thing , but I am the biggest DINGBAT on here when it comes to that . I cannot do it for the life of me !

Hi Andrea, yep, if you go back to post one, there's a link listed there for an online Around the World pattern. Let me know if you have trouble finding it . There are LOTS of links on that page now !

Theresa - good luck finding your loose change . I hope you can run your arm down the couch cushion far enough to find some. Also, you could try all the phone booths and pop machines in your area to see if anyone may have left a quarter in the change return . I'm trying to think of where else you could look. How about your car ? Does it have one of them little change thingies ? Maybe you'll get enough to buy your first color anyhow. Believe me, I know what you mean . We had lots of years like that ourselves !

Paulette - you guys are hilarious ! I can picture you backing your pickup up to the loading dock of the yarn store and loading it full of yarn . 8000 pieces ?

Well, I'm 48, so I have a few years on you . I'm figuring on mine being for my Road Trip to my final resting place ( NO, not the funeral home, the nursing home ) .We'll be in it together for the long haul .:manyheart

Maria - no I haven't heard of the place you're talking about . Is that the name of the store , or is the town called Surprise ? If so, I'd BE surprised -- didn't know Ohio HAD any surprises . The surprise to me is how many people still LIVE here ! :lol

Your afghan surely sounds interesting -- can't wait to see it ~ :)

Okay, people, I'm in a quandry here. I'm doing the Around The World pattern for this CAL Julie dragged me into :P and it calls for off-white and two shades of two different colors. The colors I want to use are Caron SS off-white, iris, grape and blue mint. :think I need a color to go with the blue mint. Any suggestions?

ANDREA..... come on, join us at crochetville. you know you want to. we don't bite (unless you try to touch our yarn or hooks).:hook

Is there a free pattern online for the around the world afghan it looks very pretty although i have like 5 different things started already lol. Andrea

Call me crazy...but I am someday soon going to try to crochet this!

http://www.quilterscache.com/Inspirations.html

It's been a long time since I tried to make a pattern from a picture, and some things I don't have much luck....but from looking at the template (if you click on the picture it takes you to the template) I think it should be fairly easy? I am going to try as soon as I can get some other things done! I just fell in love with this quilt when I saw it!

Theresa "2"

P.S.....It's Linda's Best Friends quilt...scroll down the page about half way!

Wow Thanks for the quilt pages link ! I love the flying fish one and the squares on sqaures!! Someday maybe I will start those two! Julie have you delegated your work to Theresa for deluging us with more links???:hug

Thanks again Theresa for the wonderful link!!:yay

hugs

Vims:hook

Wow Thanks for the quilt pages link ! I love the flying fish one and the squares on sqaures!! Someday maybe I will start those two! Julie have you delegated your work to Theresa for deluging us with more links???:hug

Thanks again Theresa for the wonderful link!!:yay

hugs

Vims:hook

You are very welcome! I was surprised that I found it again......I didn't bookmark it when I first came across it and luckily no one deleted the puter history! I'm going to Joanns tomorrow to find my starting yarn! YEEHAWWW!!!!

Theresa "2"

Gleda

If you're going with all ss colors, there's also one called berry blue in the brites. Would it look good with your other colors ? It's kinda like another shade of a purplish-blue .

Brandy - Yea I think putting the link on is the easiest way to go ! :lol

Thanks, Dazy for being my assistant recruiter ! I agree, come on in Andrea. The more the merrier . :)

Vims - nope , I didn't ask for any delegates -- this is just so much FUN you want EVERYONE to enjoy it !!! ( Thanks, Theresa ... your dollar is in the mail . :lol )

Theresa - have fun yarn shopping -- let us know what you choose !

Julie, I have a skein of Berry Blue and it's too blue, but thank you so much for the suggestion. :hug What I would like is a lighter or a darker shade of the Blue Mint, but I don't think that's possible, at least not in Caron SS. I'll have to think about this for a bit. I may end up changing my whole color scheme.

Hey Gleda

Have you looked at the color charts here ?

http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_simplysoft.html

I didn't see any of the other brites that caught my eye, but how would you feel about the other color being the toasted almond or the plain green ? One of them may look good, just to kinda offset the other colors. I don't ever remember seeing the blue mint type shade in another darker or lighter color in any yarn -- and I look at yarn a LOT . :lol

I'm not going to be able to join, although these patterns look like alot of fun. I've just got too much other stuff going on right now. :lol

I looked at all the patterns, and my 2 favorites are the Around the World, and the Nine Patch. I see Julie is already doing these, or planning them. :hook

Julie, I'm leaning towards a green to go with the blue mint...perhaps I can find a green with enough "blue" in it. The blue mint is what I consider a "teal" and I've noticed teal is one color that is hard to get multiple shades of. I plan on going to A.C. Moore today and see what damage to my wallet I can do. :lol I really want to start this lapghan today so I'm determined to find something. Thank you so much for your help....you've given me ideas and I'm going to act on them. :hug

Hi Patty

Thanks for stopping in -- no problem if you can't sign up ! I know what it's like to get too many things going at once . :)

Gleda -- Good luck with your search . AC Moore must be a nice place. I hear a lot of you talking about it. We don't have any of them around here that I know of . Let us know if you have any luck ..

Thanks Theresa for another quilt site! Now I have to try to make the flying fish one in crochet for hubby - my fisherman! Guess I'll just add it to my loooooong list!:lol

Lynn

Good morning fellow crochet fantics!

I just wanted to add this link to the thread: www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-8afghans.html

These quilts are really simple-you just make a square with two colors over and over again. The design comes out by the way you sew them together. I made the diamond one last year in red and white for my nephew.

I'm cruising right along on my Around the World afghan. I'm making my bi-monthly trip to Hobby Lobby today to see if they have anything I need. Why can't I just stay on one thing until I'm done? I jump from project to project almost on a daily basis.

I'm really enjoying this thread, and I look forward to seeing all the great pictures!

Morning , Cindy and Hidey Ho Lynn !

Great to see you guys up and ' atem today !

Thanks for the link to the 8 different afghans all in one pattern . Would that be neat or what ? My gosh, the list just goes on and on .. This may be the longest running crochetalong in the history of the world . :lol

How hard were the squares ? I've never done a pattern like that where you do the color changes in the middles of the rows like that . And do you have threads on the back going from one row to the next ?

Do you have a photo of yours ? I'd love to see it !:c9

Good Morning all. Got up bright and early and got donuts for that sugar high...Now to finally decide what I am going to do for this. I may have to wait a week as I bidded on a pattern book this am on ebay...But I did post some pics of the afghans that I made that look like quilts. Now I am off to decide on what colors...Still cant figure that part out :think ...need more sugar...:hook

Hey Brandy - got any creamsticks in that box ? Pass one over here will you ?

My gosh, do you do beautiful afghans ! Folks, if you read this, PLEASE go click on Brandy's home page ... Those are awesome afghans .

I HAVE to do the prairie star . No question . The question is CAN I DO IT ???

The part of it that scares the BEEJEEBERS out of me is at the top of the pattern -- it says something like

911 -CAUTION -ALERT

THIS PATTERN TAKES EXTREME PATIENCE

IF YOU ARE LACKING THAT QUALITY , DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS

IT WILL MAKE YOU GO BLIND AND YOUR TOENAILS WILL FALL OUT .

I am the LEAST patient person who EVER walked the Earth . No lie .

I want one of them so bad I can TASTE it .

The afghan , not the donut .

I could run over to Walmart and get one of them ......

Archived