Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Hi Lynn

It doesn't sound awful to me, it sounds pretty ! I bet it'll be gorgeous when done ! Nice and bright like a rainbow .

Welcome, Kristen - nope, it's not too late- we'd love to include you . Any idea yet which pattern you like the most ? Or colors ?

Gleda, It'll be ok, you'll see ! You'll be glad you joined us. It's FUN !!!

Celeste, I know you'll pick something beautiful. You have a flair for colors and designs . I thought that Henry Clay Wheel was kinda intriguing looking -- also may be hard, I didn't read through it so I don't know !

Norma - Yea, I think the burgundy would look good ,depending on which pattern you use. I'd use it for the smallest color and do the main 3 in the greens and aran. Just my opinion. I think it'd look great as a small contrast color, not one of the main colors though . Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth ! ( 2 cents ) :lol

Jan - the 9 patch would make a lovely bedspread. The good thing about it is that you can increase it to any size very easily . Glad to have you along for the ride -- it'll be a fun one !

*** Just a reminder , for those of you trying to figure out a color scheme or layout for your squares-- there's a link on the first page for printable graph paper so you can either write out or color in your design to see how you want it to look .***

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello gang -

Well, it's been a long day for me and I'm beat. Need my beauty sleep, although several months ' worth wouldn't do a whole lot of good . Anyhow I go to bed with the chickens and am up about 4 or 5 AM , so it's time to get some rest.

Thank you all for a great first day . This has been a great response. I'm so excited to work together with you all on this project and to see all the great afghans that result .

It's nice to meet some new people and also to meet up again with some old familiar faces . This promises to be a good time, so you all stick around for the fun !

See you in the morning ~:manyheart

here is the yarn that I have picked . I came across this one skein of Rh that I have been holding back for something special . Its burgandy , do you think it looks good with the sage, woodsy green , aran?

th_ninepatchyarn.jpg

i always like to use a bolder color to add a splash to the quieter ones. i think the burgundy will look neat.:hook

Once I can join, it'll probably be a star motif. . . just can't help it! :manyheart

once you can join? it's only a matter of time now. julie strikes again. :lol

Is it too late for me to join you?

kristen & lily 3/19/05

it's never too late. except when you get hooked on CALs. then it's too late to stop joining. :lol

i sat myself in my recliner tonight and finished my other projects so i would be guilt-free going into this CAL. my swap scarf is done, as well as the charity items i've been working on. now to buy the puffy envelopes (i think the guy that runs the puffy envelope business started c'ville to make his fortune. :lol ) and wait til i can get them sent.

i was sure i wanted to make a half-granny square type of quilt. then i go look at the other links out of curiosity. now i want the around the world one. but i think i'm going to do bigger squares. light earthtones, i think. it would go good in our bedroom.

ok, got my graph paper printed out and tomorrow i'm gonna check out the colors at walmart. something this big will have to be done in supersaver or mainstay. or wonderful, smooshy simply soft. i :manyheart simply soft.

BTW, my name is Melissa, but being the flower garden nut that i am, i like dazy better. it's more 'me'.:garden

Julie, this is the pattern that I am thinking about :hook and I will use Red Heart Kids yarn in the same neon colors. They look so pretty and I am making it for my grandaughter who is a junior in high school and I think she will really like it. I hope. :yes Let me know what you think. http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/12angels/NeonAfghan.jpg

Julie, this is the pattern that I am thinking about :hook and I will use Red Heart Kids yarn in the same neon colors. They look so pretty and I am making it for my grandaughter who is a junior in high school and I think she will really like it. I hope. :yes Let me know what you think. http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/12angels/NeonAfghan.jpg

Linda did you have to post the link lolol!!! seriously now I want to do this one too!! Is it done using the diagonal squares? I love that pattern and I can do that quite fast!! so now should I do this one or pastel pinwheels or around the world??? See by the time I decide on the pattern itself I think you guys would be done with the cal!!!:D

can I take a couple more days to decide Julie???:P

love you all

hugs

Vims

julie, enjoyed your poem to the hilt!!! Now to wait for Mare and her response:) while I am making my mind up and now lady_of_roses pipes in with another winner!! the prairie star! oh what a poor gal like me to do????

hugs

Vims

pS i seem to be enjoying this banter even more than actually picking up my hook and working something ..am i ok? guess not but i love myself for not being ok (evil grin)

It is 4:45 AM here in beautiful downtown Hicksville.

The birds are tweeting here

The last drunk is home after drinking his beer

Spring has come ,although we still get some snow

We should only have a few more cold days to go .

We just started a new CAL , all's right in the Land...

So get your crochet hook in your hand .

Pinwheels, squares and stars galore

Who could ask for anything more ?

Yarn choices to make, patterns to choose

Which one are YOU going to use ?

I am so excited I could BUST ...

Being in a CAL is a MUST ...

It's just too much fun to crochet as a group ...

All you have to do is start with one loop .

What a great group of friends we have here in the 'Hood .

Yarn,hooks and friends.... it's all good .

:manyheart

Dazy-

You are such a HOOT !!! Funny, funny , funny ...

Thank you so much for getting all those other items out of the way so you can clear a path for the newest project at hand ! You won't be sorry . If you prefer, I'll call you Melissa, but if you like the name Dazy better , then that's what you shall be called . Your pattern and color types sound good ! Let us know how you make out in the yarn aisle. I always stand there so long, I feel like the store security guard is watching me with binoculars . I always just stare at the yarn, think about the pattern ,hold colors together til SOMETHING jumps out at me .

Good luck in your search and thanks for joining up and your funny posts !

Vims -

Of course, you can take more time to decide , but as time goes on , there may be MORE choices added to the ever-growing list :devil . .. what's a girl to do ?

Decisions, decisions ...

I'm glad you're having fun in here , and No, there's nothing wrong with you for enjoying this so much .

All the posts are a big part of the fun of the CAL ~~~ :)

Post away, you guys .. I'm ready for you . I make it my goal to answer EVERY post, so you guys keep me hopping .

:compute

As you all know who have been in my groups before .....

A busy message board is the sign of a successful group .:blah :blah :blah

Hey Ladies

For those of you who have yet to decide :

I added some new links to page one-- they are down below the ~~~~~ line .

4 REALLY neat squares ( one for you Canadians done in a red and white maple leaf design )

and a baby afghan that is SO cute ----

Go check them out ...

VIMS --- thought I'd help you out a little by adding a few MORE choices to the mix .

PS -- wish I knew someone needing a baby afghan . I LOVE that pattern .:manyheart

Ok ladies- Time to post where I stand on this one. I have been making these little squares for about a week or so now .

I am doing the Around the World , with ss in all the brites colors and a G hook. The squares are only 2 rounds so are pretty small . In order for all the colors to get a "turn", I have to make it 17 squares by 17, which equals 289 squares .

I so far have the following done :

9 lemonade

44 watermelon

44 iris

12 berry blue

___ black -- forgot to count how many -- there's maybe 20 of them done so far .

That's where I stand as of this morning !

Ok I went home and found the quilt pattern I'd printed out months ago. It's called the Blue and White Quilt Afghan (REALLY descriptive huh?). So I'm doing it in blues and white--but not because that's what the directions say--it's because my mom and I both have blue and white kitchens (actually I think it states in THE Book of Mothers and Daughters that kitchens MUST be blue). So we both like blue and white and I don't know if I'll give her this one or not. (rambling over)

So I couldn't find a picture of it online to show anyone. It was designed by Acrilan, or something like that. It's a bunch of squares and rectangles (big and small) and a few triangles to make a 12 3/4" square. You're supposed to make 15 squares and sew it together to make a 46" x 72" afghan. But who fits in an afghan that is only 46" wide?!?! So I'm going to add a whole additional row to get it closer to 59" wide. Yes I realize that that means I'm just adding 33% more work! :eek I couldn't wait so I RAN to Hobby Lobby and bought all the blue yarn in sight! Well not quite, but it sure felt like it. I got started right away when I got home :hook

Thanks for helping me find my crochet mojo Julie!

Hey girl -

Well, I'm glad I helped you find your MOJO . I didn't know for sure what it looked like or where to look, but I'm glad you have it again ! :lol

Your afghan sounds very intriguing -- sure wish we could see a photo . Do you have a scanner that you could scan the picture of it with ?

If not, we'll just have to patiently wait til you get some pics taken of it as you work or as you get it done .

Is it all in different shades of blue, or all one color blue with white ?

I'm so glad you are excited about crochet again ! :clap

Julie,

It's baby blue, navy blue, azure blue (I didn't really know what color that was so I went with a medium country blue) and royal blue with white. It should be an interesting mix. I had to use Caron Simply Soft, TLC Essentials and Lion Wool-Ease to get the right colors. I hope that they wash ok with each other? :think I normally used cold water with no heat dry. Hooray for crochet!:cheer :cheer

Progress report on my nine patch

woodsy green 6

sage 6

and that is all I got done last evening.

I got home late and then hubby was home late so had to stop feed him take the dog out . That is my stay at home project . I brought my sil birthday afghan to work with me to work on it. Will post a progress report again later. :hug

Ok I found a quilt block that looks similar:

http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/ChildrenofIsraelBlock.html

But instead of the white rectangles in the middle of the blue field my square has those rectangles completely blue and then the corners of those blue rectangles have white squares...:think:shrug I'm sure that last sentence was more than a little confusing. As soon as I finish a square I'll just take a picture.

Julie, Believe me I do NOT need any more blue and white plates :) My place is lousy with them (they are even on my walls!)

Archived