Join the Crochet Olympics

I'll be making a dark green/camel sweater out of Bernat Satin for my nephew; my SIL's due date is 2/20, smack-dab in the middle of the Olympics.

So we're both crocheting items for kids-to-be? :)

Sure hope your nephew turns out to be a boy, and my great niece turns out to be a girl. I don't think I'd want to give a Snow White baby afghan to a boy.

That would be rather Dopey. :devil

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay All - I've updated the site with all the participant althetes who've contacted me so far. I'm thinking about rearranging the list to be by type of project - ie, thread, wraps, shrugs, blankets, baby, etc. What do you think?

I'll be installing Wordpress blog software this weekend and anticipate having at least a rudimentary blog up by the end of the weekend. I'm envisioning this as a group blog where all athletes can log in and upload progress notes, progress photos and such. We'll see how easy or hard that is with WordPress....

Go Crocheteers! Woohoo! And keep the sign ups rolling in. We've got a total of 18 athletes competing so far!

So we're both crocheting items for kids-to-be? :)

Sure hope your nephew turns out to be a boy, and my great niece turns out to be a girl. I don't think I'd want to give a Snow White baby afghan to a boy.

That would be rather Dopey. :devil

And make me pretty Grumpy :rofl

Well, we could swap...I've got a *whole bunch* of 'boy stuff' for my nephew-to-be. :)

Okay All - I've updated the site with all the participant althetes who've contacted me so far. I'm thinking about rearranging the list to be by type of project - ie, thread, wraps, shrugs, blankets, baby, etc. What do you think?

I'll be installing Wordpress blog software this weekend and anticipate having at least a rudimentary blog up by the end of the weekend. I'm envisioning this as a group blog where all athletes can log in and upload progress notes, progress photos and such. We'll see how easy or hard that is with WordPress....

Go Crocheteers! Woohoo! And keep the sign ups rolling in. We've got a total of 18 athletes competing so far!

Great idea Anna!

I signed up a couple of days ago. :cheerI'm gonna make Dot's Elegant Lace Stole. It'll be a challenge since I have major completion issues.:blushI have a Zig Zag Lap Robe from 2001 that I still have to finish.:eek

Ooh, I'm in! I have two things I want to make that I've never tried--one of the felted totes for my sisters for Christmas, and that cute little cardigan sweater that was in a crochet mag recently. Now I just have to choose which? Hmm, I guess this means I'll have to find out when the Olympics are (work is a little crazy right now so I'm lucky I realized today was Saturday and didn't go in to the office! :lol). Sounds like great fun! Patty

I signed up a couple of days ago. :cheerI'm gonna make Dot's Elegant Lace Stole. It'll be a challenge since I have major completion issues.:blushI have a Zig Zag Lap Robe from 2001 that I still have to finish.:eek

:eek i'm Shocked!! an unfinished project? surely you jest? Weeeeee never have those.:blush:rofl

you should march yourself over to the crocheters against UFO's and confess your sins. :lol

welcome to the olympics. GO CROCHETERS!!:cheer

:eek i'm Shocked!! an unfinished project? surely you jest? Weeeeee never have those.:blush:rofl

you should march yourself over to the crocheters against UFO's and confess your sins. :lol

welcome to the olympics. GO CROCHETERS!!:cheer

:shrug Actually that's only one. I have many others: the swan doily-2 swans done, a scarf blanket-2 scarves done, a xmas doily from early 2005 or 2004?, martha's poncho-ran out of yarn, magic scarf-bout 6 inches left. :scrachin umm, I think that's it, I frogged everything else.

Several people have asked me what the purpose of having a Crochet Olympics was. My first thought was "does everything have to have a purpose?" But not wanting to sound snippy (and while the response does sound sarcastic and snippy.. it's not, it's a real question), I have replied with these are the reasons/purposes to have a Crochet Olympics:

1) Fun

2) A self challenge

3) something to do while watching the Olympics

3b) protection from mind-numbing boredom while being forced to watch the Olympics (your opinion may vary)

4) an excuse for another project

5) all or none of the above.

And I have a suggestion. Could the link for the webpage perhaps be placed on the first post? It's kinda hard to find right now. Thanks.

Depending on how many times I got the "what is the purpose of the Crochet Olympics?" I think the answer you have, snippy or otherwise, would more than be appropriate...

Why Crochet Olympics? Why not? It's just another excuse to do something we love, but with a twist...

Go Crocheters!!!!

I've just joined the Crochet Olympics too. I'm going to do the Penina bolero jacket from Cool Crochet. I posted about Crochet Olympics to my blog, and I also added a sidebar with the button, encouraging others to join us.

I hope we get a lot of people participating!

Even though I'm attempting a sweater for the Knitting Olympics, I want to participate in this too.

I don't have a project yet, but I'm in love with the item on the cover this book.

I must be insane:eek!!!

That's the one I'm gonna do vhanna...isn't it great!

Well, I got the book, and I will attempt the cover sweater although it has many nice projects. It just so happens that I even have the yarn for it in stash, so it's meant to be.

LeAnna, I'm glad you'll be working on this project too.:yay It will be fun, so I'll go sign up.

Several people have asked me what the purpose of having a Crochet Olympics was.

And I have a suggestion. Could the link for the webpage perhaps be placed on the first post? It's kinda hard to find right now. Thanks.

Lisa - all good points about "why?" Like Eurolyons said - why not? Personally, for me it's a self challenge (like you said) to do something I've never done and a personal commitment to doing it in a specified time limit. And it's fun!

I pm'd Crochet SmartCat asking her to modify the first post to point to the signup email and website. Maybe one of the moderators can do that too? I'll wait for Crochet SmartCat to respond first though. :)

I'm really excited. I'm going to work on installing the blog this evening....

Oh eeeekk!!! I just signed up 2 days ago for the Knitting:knit Olympics....trying to double compete just might make me go insane!!! :loco

Awww......what the heck!! :hook There are always athletes who compete in multiple events, so why can't I? Hopefully I manage to make it to the finish line in at least one of the events! :blush

Now...what to make.... :shrug

I'm also competing in both.

We'll go insane together.:thair

I want to be in the :cheerCrochet Olympics:cheer I am going to do the Hello Kitty Backpack. It was suppose to be for Pumpkin Child's B-day :cake (Feb. 23rd) but I am so lagging in my projects that this is the only way I'll get it done even close to her B-day.

I hope everyone is having a great day. I'm sick :sick with either alergies or a cold. So its a typical weekend...:laughroll

I signed up! :cheer My challenge is to make a Patricia Kristoffersen doily--I have too many to choose from so maybe that will be my challenge?!? :lol Well, I've got 3-4 books that I got and have yet to use, so considering I'll have 6 days, I'll go with one that I think I can complete in that time.

~ Lori

Ooops! Brain fart and senior moment at once! I see I have 16 days, not 6, so I can go ahead and pick a real wicked design. Woo-hoo!:devil

I would love to join in on this it sounds great and I am really interested in doing this I am always up for a challenge I will be doing a peaceful pastels baby blanket from Mary Maxium.:clap:yay

Archived