2017 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

Scores for the week ending 8/19/17:

Gold medal winner: Inkked0317 +17

Silver medal winner: pineknott +6

Bronze medal winner: greyhoundgrandma +4

ladychris2010 +1

PBLKNP 0

Great  job everyone! No negatives this week!

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at my parents for the weekend so I can use dad's computer. I haven't been here since Aug. 5th. I found a bag of partial (1/2 ?) skeins/balls in my storage space. Most skeins/balls made a baby or 2 preemie hats. So I made 4 baby and 6 preemie hats. I used 7 balls/partials (+ 7)  :cheer . I might get a few pocket prayer shawls out of the small ones. I also found a bag of 1 lb. mill ends (3 skeins) of "100% unknown fiber" :think . It's some kind of animal hair/fur, so I made 2 hats, 3/4 (+/-) skein gone (+1) :yay . It "shed" like a cat on me and my couch. Mom thinks it might be Moe (sp.?) Hair. Mom and I went to Michael's, but I didn't see anything like it. I got a Caron Pounder, it was on sale "buy 1 get 1 50% off" so mom and I each got 1 and split the cost. You can never have too much white :yarn  :lol  (-2) :( .

WTD: + 6  YTD: + 61

Ellie 13

Happy Saturday everyone!!

This week I finished up the stuffed cat & used one more ball on it (+1). I also make a Pokemon Eevee stuffy & used 4 balls on that (+4), I made a play sized granny blanket for my littles that took 2 balls (+2), and made some exchange squares that took 5 balls (+5). I started on a blanket project of awareness ribbons that has already used one ball (+1)....and I stopped at Michael's buy 1 get 1 half off sale for supplies for a few projects and brought home 12 skeins (-24)....these sales always get me!!

WTD: -11

YTD: +329

Scores for the week ending 8/26/17:

Gold Medal Winner: Ellie 13 +7

Silver Medal Winner: howieann +2

Holding steady:

PBLKNP 0

pineknott 0

New yarn friends:

Inkked0317 -11

Shoot the Moon Winner: greyhoundgrandma -26

I need to share this with folks who will get it...my cousin has asked me to make a special blanket for a very good friend of hers who has several chronic health issues and is in the hosptial more than she's out. I've got the pattern, (an awareness ribbon with 4 words scattered around it), I've figured out what parts I'm doing in what color, I've done the stitch count. It's going to be 300 sc x 400 rows. Saturday I started making the blanket, and it was close to queen size width. I worked on it for a bit over 5 hours on Saturday. Sunday, I picked it up again. I'd reached the first row that had a bunch of color changes (for a word) and did them all without a problem...then I realized my count for the background color on the left side was 10 sc short. I recounted and recounted and realized that when I started the blanket, I'd made it 290 sc instead of 300. I considered leaving it, because my cousin and her friend would never know, but realized there's a word on that side further up and I actually do need those 10 sc. So......it took me 35 minutes to frog the whole 15 rows I'd done, and wrap up all that yarn neatly. I did add the 10 chains to the starting chain, which is the only part I didn't frog. I put my project down and didn't touch anything crochet related for the rest of the day. I was just too frustrated. I'll be re-starting the project today. 

Sounds like you had a good clean up day, ladychris. 

I had to order yarn to finish the retro ornament throw--2 skeins but I'm almost done with the one I'm using. The order is supposed to be here Friday.

We've started getting rain this morning--the beginning of Harvey. They've changed our prediction so many times--we'll just have to wait and see if we get 1-2", 2-4" or 4-6". It's so hard to even comprehend how much rain Harvey has produced. Praying for everyone who has been affected by the hurricane.

So I got 5 rows done with the correct stitch count before I had a sudden realization. I'm making this blanket as a favor for my cousin for her friend who spends the majority of her life in hospitals. This blanket is huge. How big is a hospital bed? Google told me a standard hospital bed is 38 inches wide...the blanket was 100. This is not a practical size blanket if she's going to actually use it in the hospital....I'm going to have to frog it again and refigure my stitch counts! 

I frogged. I took my original counts and divided the numbers by 2. I also had to reverse every other row's count because I'd had it written from the right to left (going left to right was going to mirror the previous row originally) and now I needed the even rows to go left to right.

Ok I got all that done and started attempt 3 on this blanket. It should work up to be a standard throw blanket size now. Got through 9 rows without a problem. ...and now on row 10, my count is off. I have to go back to the pattern and see what stitch I missed. I could scream right now. I actually feel like I would be better off just completely redoing my count again to ensure I didn't miscount or make a math goof...and then continue working on the blanket...I've used, frogged, used, frogged, and used the same yarn for the past 3 days. At this point I'd really like to just say screw it and drop the project but I know how important it is to my cousin and her friend....grrrrrr....sigh...sniffle sniffle. ....sob...

This is where I usually throw my hands up and say no project is worth that much frustration. But you have extenuating circumstances. I hope you can get it figured out without having to frog it again.

Did anyone else have trouble getting to the boards yesterday?  

So I have to say that I've never done so much crocheting and had nothing to report as far as points. I'm on the 3rd version of the blanket now. I actually had to frog 10 rows because the design was reversed. I'm now just shy of halfway done, but I'm using Pounders for the background color so it's taking forever to use a skein up. I sincerely hope you all had better crochet weeks than I did!!!

On the upside, I gave a set of 4 siblings the stuffed animals I made for them just because they're awesome kids and they all loved them!

WYD: 0

This is the first I've been able to get on the site in several days. For the ones who weren't able to post, just add your score to the new week.

Scores for the week ending 9/2/17:

Gold Medal Winner: ladychris2010 +6

Inkked0317 0

PBLKNP 0

Shoot the Moon Winner: greyhoundgrandma -2

Hi everyone!!!

I am very happy to report that the blanket from hell project I was working on, I've finished!!!  So happy to be done with it and I'm attaching a picture just because lol! I used a total of 7 balls and 2 skeins with this (+11). I also completed a blanket for a member of my church that had been started by her grandmother who has since passed. She gave me the blanket with a skein of yarn attached to it, which I completely used up in finishing the blanket, so it's a wash with the points lol. I'm starting another Josefina elephant pillow for the same family friend the frustrating blanket was for, but I've just started it and haven't used anything up yet.

WTD: +11

YTD: +340

21369420_1991686744448409_5448398116768568860_n.jpg

Archived