Granny Squares for those that need them cal 2018

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aa bit of disturbing news.

As i was tallying and closing out my books for 2016 postage and mailing squares. i discovered my most expensive year for that was 2013. my least expensive for same was this past year. it is not even a a third of what 2013's was and that is sad how much we have gone down huh. closing out 2016 for now i have two things yet to mail. and weds will make that drop off but have already added that in. i cant.beleive it.

oh well huh. those records go back to 2011 when i first joined up with the thread. I can remember going through the long list of names two and three times. some years too. !!!

There are names there i hardy recognize anymore too. wow blast from. the past huh!!! i have a book ready for the new year but to be honest dont k now yet if we will be doing the same thing or not. either way i. always keep a record of the postage so ill hang onto it.

that blew my mind though.

all the years seem pretty healthy postage wise cept 2016. ☹️

i knew my members and addresses book had thinned out by at least half or more of what it uses to be but.

why do you all think it fell off. what do you all think we can come e up with.. Do you all think we should renew the. thread for 2017 or ???? do you think we should pull the plug. ok after Christmas we. will come to some kind of decision. be thinking though ok.

Katy

you didn't bum me out.I was a little surprised at how it plummeted,I've never kept track of cost,the first two or three yrs I did keep a running count of squares sent.All around every thing is down,the swaps that hey used to have,the wish lists.

Maybe drop the ship from friendship,and maybe delete the comfortghan,and just have us be Grannie Square Friends,we have become a tightknit bunch and I'd hate to lose the friendships,maybe at most we are about9 - 12 regulars,before I think my list was two pages long

anyway thats my 2 cents

:wgrin Hey!  All ~ finally got the chance to get back here!  First off, I want to thank Tampa Doll for my Christmasy granny squares ~ I love 'em!  Thank you so much!  Got them today.

Our weather has been really weird, to say the least!  On the "norm", we've been sticking in the 40's for temps and partly sunny days.  But day before yesterday, we actually got all the way up to 50* . . . then it plunged back down to 10* by midnight ~ :eek   No wonder so many folks are sick!  It was nice to shed the overcoat and run around in one layer of clothing, instead of several (that's MY mode of dress once the cold weather sets in).  Rheum. Arth. certainly doesn't like cold weather, that's for sure.

Last night got down to between 0* and 3* ~ brrrr  :wbrr   Had to defrost our bathtub faucet this morning, but no broke lines, thankfully!  We've got a heater and some light bulbs fixed under that part of the house to help keep things running, so we're good now.  No movement to speak of from the outdoor kitties, but they've all kept bundled up together under the heatlamps, staying warm and toasty.  Hubby found an old plastic barrel bottom that we put a couple of heavy blankets in for them to curl up in . . . all 12 of 'em!  :cat   DaisyMay, Trixie and Smokey are spoiled, keeping inside where us "human pets" are.

Can hardly believe we're about thru another year already!  Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday with family and friends, too.  In the mean time, I'll be working these December Granny Squares ~  :crocheting

Well, I'm already tired of winter ~ LoL ~  if it would only stay in the 30's with a little dab o' snow, I'd be happy . . . but sub-zero temps are too much for this ol' gal!

Ya'll have a WARM evening and stay safe, away from all the crazy drivers out there!  :flake   :manyheart

post-32836-0-69663700-1482189171_thumb.jpg

Katy

you didn't bum me out.I was a little surprised at how it plummeted,I've never kept track of cost,the first two or three yrs I did keep a running count of squares sent.All around every thing is down,the swaps that hey used to have,the wish lists.

Maybe drop the ship from friendship,and maybe delete the comfortghan,and just have us be Grannie Square Friends,we have become a tightknit bunch and I'd hate to lose the friendships,maybe at most we are about9 - 12 regulars,before I think my list was two pages long

anyway thats my 2 cents

I like your idea, Pineknott ~ it'd be a shame to just "close up shop".  I know, for myself, I've really enjoyed the friendships I've made here . . . ya'll have gotten me thru some tough times during my husband's cancer thing, too.  You kept me focused.  I like the idea of "Grannie Square Friends" ~ :manyheart

Hi all.

Brenda (bgs) Thank you for the Christmas card and the beautiful ornament. I love them.

Miss Jade is 10 months old now.

Wow! girl!  I guess the last time I was on here, until recently, Jade was still "in the oven" ~ LoL  You sure have a beautiful baby!  Did you get your Granny-ghan finished her?  Gotta see a pic of it, if possible ~ :manyheart

Nope we are about 80 with 85% humidity.  You are close.

I am sitting here shivering with all you up North.  We are waiting for rain, but it may miss us again. 

OKAY!  I vote we all load up, and whoever is closest to Tampa Doll or Pineknott, we need to go crash in on their warm weather for the winter!  :yay   Who's with me?!  :clap

Linda good thoughts and i i can do that and for the record i do not want to lose our connections either as we have auch a great group but have noticed many things dropping n numbers such as cals, swaps, wish lists, giveaways, and much more. i wondered if the bottom wasnt falling out of the

ville alltogether. nothing wrong with

being just a chatty bunch of granny square friends lol. helping each other when and if needed with progression of our ghans or lives. . lol well. we have till jan to mull this over. huh.

thanks Linda. appreciate the imput for sure.

I agree with Linda and like her idea

I dont want to close shop and lose track of my friends here either. Considering how activity on the site overall has plummeted our thread is very active even though we are few. I am thankful for you all. You inspire me to keep on crocheting. In the past I have done it for awhile and then given it up for years at a time. This is the longest period of time I have kept it up and that is because of this group.

OKAY!  I vote we all load up, and whoever is closest to Tampa Doll or Pineknott, we need to go crash in on their warm weather for the winter!  :yay   Who's with me?!  :clap

Better go with Tampa Doll,ours was a one day wonder,back to the reality of 30's and 40's

Did I miss something?  Now I know I don't read every word, or some days my eyes do not like the computer, but were you thinking of closing shop here?   Oh I do hope not, as I have had fun this year, reading what everyone has been up to and everything.  I like the Granny Square Friends.

Lee we are not going anywhere.  I am going to go and splurge at Costco and buy a couple of Lobster Tails for dinner. Might go to the grocery store and pick up a couple of steaks.  I fall asleep watching TV and wake up in time to see the ball drop, then I go to bed.  I am to old for New Years Eve.

Ok, I will start throwing down air mattresses and sleeping bags.  Bring your shorts and t-shirts and gear yourself for lots of humidity.  I have had enough.

Oh Carole, I am so glad you got the squares and they are what you like. 

Have a good night everyone.

Hello everyone.

I think I am done shopping. I went to Walmart and Publix after work today and I think I have everything I need for the rest of this week and for Christmas  :yay . I'm feeling a little better today but still not great,hopefully I will be over this mess before the end of the week. I think I need to go to sleep so I will talk to you all tomorrow.

Hello everyone.

I think I am done shopping. I went to Walmart and Publix after work today and I think I have everything I need for the rest of this week and for Christmas  :yay . I'm feeling a little better today but still not great,hopefully I will be over this mess before the end of the week. I think I need to go to sleep so I will talk to you all tomorrow.

Feel better soon,the mini vacation from school may be just what you need to recharge

the other site I belong to is on a yuku board,sometimes they are down for days at a time,we have been togehter since '99 on various boards.

started out about 20 people and now we are down to 10,its a real  tight knit group also.

TampaDoll when you stopped by and decided to stay and chat,that was our lucky day,now I can "see " you on more than just the birthday thread,some days on that thread,its just the three of us,you, me, & greyhoundgrandma

okay I'm just rambling,I'm sure Katy will keep us going

why do you all think it fell off. what do you all think we can come e up with.. Do you all think we should renew the. thread for 2017 or ???? do you think we should pull the plug. ok after Christmas we. will come to some kind of decision. be thinking though ok.

I'm not good with coming up with ideas but I don't want to "pull the plug" I enjoy coming here (even though sometimes I miss a few days). I love reading about everyone as well... want us to continue!!!

Katy

anyway thats my 2 cents

Sometimes I think people get so busy anymore they just forget. Then of course there is facebook. I am on facebook some but there are SOOOOO many people that I don't know who is who. On the forum we know more about each other. I prefer forums over the fast moving facebook any day.

Me too. I HATE this cold weather.

Linda good thoughts and i i can do that and for the record i do not want to lose our connections either as we have auch a great group but have noticed many things dropping n numbers such as cals, swaps, wish lists, giveaways, and much more. i wondered if the bottom wasnt falling out of the

ville alltogether. nothing wrong with

being just a chatty bunch of granny square friends lol. helping each other when and if needed with progression of our ghans or lives. . lol well. we have till jan to mull this over. huh.

thanks Linda. appreciate the imput for sure.

I like granny square friends too!

Not done anything the last few days except sleep, eat and try to get gifts finished up. I am still so behind :2spin  :think Why on earth must I do this to myself EVERY year?

Have a great night all...

Golly, I am gone for a few hours and there is talk of shutting down?  No Ma'am!   You know I like Linda's idea, I love coming on here and catching up....

Post the birthdays of the members that are active and if we are able to send a card or something I say great!

That being said... I am not sure where to post this except here..soooooo. I don't want to seem tacky..... but....

If anyone sent me a christmas card and I have not responded, well, we had a mail truck local ctch on fire and we lost a bunch of mail for this area... sooooo... I am not being rude,  it might have gone up in smoke...I know my aunts peanut butter fudge did  ( that was kinda a blessing :lol )....

Getting ready for the nephew tomorrow....AND I have to wrap (thank you the inventor of the gift bag)

MJ, now I have to tell the truth.... I have never had lobster.... gasp.... I know...I grew up in Ohio, and then moved to NC...and neither are known for lobster.... We might just have to fix a nice steak here to for New Years

I am thinking about inviting whoever wants to come New Years day for pork roast and sauerkraut...Dh is German... we have to have it...then the southern side of us.. adds the blackeyed peas and collards...

Golly, I am gone for a few hours and there is talk of shutting down? No Ma'am! You know I like Linda's idea, I love coming on here and catching up....

Post the birthdays of the members that are active and if we are able to send a card or something I say great!

That being said... I am not sure where to post this except here..soooooo. I don't want to seem tacky..... but....

If anyone sent me a christmas card and I have not responded, well, we had a mail truck local ctch on fire and we lost a bunch of mail for this area... sooooo... I am not being rude, it might have gone up in smoke...I know my aunts peanut butter fudge did ( that was kinda a blessing :lol )....

Getting ready for the nephew tomorrow....AND I have to wrap (thank you the inventor of the gift bag)

MJ, now I have to tell the truth.... I have never had lobster.... gasp.... I know...I grew up in Ohio, and then moved to NC...and neither are known for lobster.... We might just have to fix a nice steak here to for New Years

I am thinking about inviting whoever wants to come New Years day for pork roast and sauerkraut...Dh is German... we have to have it...then the southern side of us.. adds the blackeyed peas and collards...

Me! Me! I want to come.

Good Morning.  Sorry Lea, but I had to chuckle about the PO :cry  then I thought that is terrible.  All those wishes and packages lost.

New Years Day for us is Ham and Cabbage with potatoes and.  Part Irish here.

We just got our water delivery and guess what, they forgot my diet tea.  Yep, all those bottles and no tea.  Bummer.  They will be back tomorrow or Thurs.

I myself have been on other boards, like facebook and Ravelry and you do not have the fun there or talking there, that you have here. 

Lea I grew up in NJ and as kids we did not have lobster.  I just like the tails.  I grew up on flounder.  Now I went to the store the other day and looked at the price of flounder and thought I would have to take out a bank loan to get some $12 a pound.  Flounder is a cheap fish up in NJ or it use to be.

But you know when you think of it, creamed dried beef use to be supper right before payday, as it was a cheap meal.  It is amazing how prices have changed from when we were little.

Miss Jade is adorable and really growing up fast.

Well it is time to fix breakfast, as I have to (UGH) go out and pick up my medicine.  Have a fun day and lots of hugs. :hug  :ghug  :hug 

ok then it is settled. Well no we wont go!!! we will stay small nd intimate and let the nay sayers say their nays lol

Well no we wont go!!

I will change the name to Granny Square Friends first of the year. let the nay sayers say their nays as GtrannyFriends are here to stay.

I would miss so much. wathing the little ones grow and laughing at lea's posts and all our successes and failures in crochet and life and the way we all gel!!

And we will conti ue on!! To infinity!!! and Beyond!!

Without this thread i perhaps would quit crocheting too and i dont wanna do that. I have always said we have the best group on the ville a

d we are not going anywhere!! so settled!! thanks for the imput!! Have been stressing about this since i closed out the 2016 postage book!!!

and what ia wrong with chatting anywY lol. Im glad we are like that!!! And we have aleays made our new members welcome and draw them into the circle!

Oh and Happy 90th Birthday Mr Tony Bennett

Well its Ham salad on . toast for our morning dining pleasure today so i wll make my way to the Eat-o deck now and take on some nourishment now sad dY though. this will be the end of the. cantelope ?? do i forsee a trip to the produce Aisle i. my near future??

Tune in later for the conclusion!!!!

Lea you might want to post a note in the wishlist thank you about the mail truck fire. Would it have affected owlvamps mail too or was it more local?

Katy glad we are going to continue. I would have been devastated and terribly depressed to see us closed. It is sad to look at the old lists and see how many people have left but many have left the ville and I dont think there is anything we could do but be here to welcome them back. Some do come back. I love Lea and Mary Jo's senses of humor and all the kid and grandkid updates (just look at how Baby Jade is growing and what will Little Tribble do next). I always check to see if Linda beat everyone on here with her morning greeting and wonder what she got busy with if she didnt. I check to see that you made it on at least once and if not I go check Ravelry to see if you were blocked again.

Hey all! Quick drop in, trying to deep clean while I have the chance. :lol That mainly just includes washing all the laundry and putting (hopefully) away...

Mary Jo, thank you for the lovely squares and card! I got them late last night when I checked the mail, but was falling asleep! I love them!

Well, off I go again. I think the washer just stopped and DD is starting to stir finally.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! :hug s all!

Hi ya well we had ham salad on toasted english muffins and they were sure good. i used to serve egg salad on toasted english muffins speinkled oth bacon crumbs and paprika for a couple of the brunches when we had them at our houses and those alwyas went over really well too. if you think about just about anything is better on a toasted enflish muffin lolxept maybe liver and o nions lol but we dont eat that sooooooo lollol. so ething about the little holes i think lol.

i know brenda has made scarves on the knifty knitter loom havent you brenda?? was thinkinking of doing a couple on the loom . for fun. what size loom should i use??? I like the idea of it being doubled thi kness as i have so me thinner yarn i want to use up. its denim from bernat i think. i have some black and white and navy and white and i think so e brown and white to use ip thought i mifht try it on that. do you all think that would suitable a thin yarned double thickness loom ed scarf??? I wont start it yet till i hear from someone saying hec yeah katie that would work or. what no not a good idea lol.

ohhh tomorrow i have some puffys going out for. That white tornado Katiebug. ( id like to turn her loose in my house for a hour or two every day!!)and

mini meme lea. and one more whom was that ohhhh Lovin2CRochet tooo. happy December bdays girls. to you all!!

was anyone able to reach Dragnlady5 or rosie. i never got a response from either for a great amount of time so i did t send to them. did anyone get a response?? ,

I kn ow they are going out late but better late than never huh lol

ok all for now friends and squares. Ill. atch ya this evening. have a spectacular special day ok!!

Its thinner than the rhss but it softer lol.

Archived