Ear Muffs.....patterns coming soon

diamond

OK....this was my brilliant idea and before you laugh.......know that they work wonderfully. They keep your ears toasty warm....even the flowered ones. The idea came while I was in Missouri and Friday morning was extremely cold for this South Florida gal! My ears were freezing. I was able to buy fleece mittens & scarf but no one had anything to keep the ears warm. I ran into Ben Franklin, got supplies and whipped out the peach flower muffs. Came home and made the yellow flowers, tan round and rainbow fuzzies. The tan & fuzzies have an ouchless elastic hairband in them to hold in place. The flowers simply have a chain stitch across the back to hold in place. Both work equally as well. I even have 2 pair of dangle earrings on with all in the pictures. Excuse the bad photography, no one is here to help me with the photos so I had to do them myself. Sorry for the bad hair day as well!

earmuffs4pr3ey.th.gif

All 4 pair together. One of each is upside down so you can see how the part that goes behind/around the ears go. Click on the picture to see a better view of the underside of them.

peachearmuff8at.th.gif yellowearmuff7ne.th.gif

The yellow flower has all it's petals, I guess one got folded when I put it on and didn't realize it.

tanearmuffs5de.th.gif fuzzyrainbow2kp.th.gif

These round ones are round and not lopsided as the pictures show. I just didn't fit them properly. They elastic is not binding or uncomfortable. In fact, they are all very comfy, so much so, you forget you have them one until you get too warm. They don't fall off easily either. The round ones used the same pattern, just different size hooks.

All pictures are clickable for larger/better viewing. Enjoy!

A pattern for knitted earmuffs on CPC? How did I ever manage that? Would you mind telling me what link exactly, so I can fix that and put it on KPC? I may be able to find it, but then again I may not.

(And I just found a crochet pattern link I added to Knitting Pattern Central a couple days ago. What is wrong with me!)

Oh, yes, Cheryl, cute muffs!!! :hook

Those are really adorable! I ordered some fleece type ones once, but they were in the wrong size and when I sent them back, they sent them to the wrong address, so I never got them. :(

But making my own, I can make the right size!

What do you do about sizing them?

You won't believe this, but on the way home from my sisters a few minutes ago I was trying to figure out how to make ear muffs.So glad to see you have figured it out for me. I like them. I will be waiting for the patterns.:manyheart

I made Tabby a big long stocking cap today.

sondra

Definately a new and cool idea :) Maybe a version with a chain between them so they look like regular muffs? I'm making mittens and legwarmers (the last pair were for my mom :)) in the next month...this would be a good addition to my winter gear!

Those are really adorable! I ordered some fleece type ones once, but they were in the wrong size and when I sent them back, they sent them to the wrong address, so I never got them. :(

But making my own, I can make the right size!

What do you do about sizing them?

Sizing isn't that hard. When you make the flower/round base.....make it as big as you think, then hold it to your ear, they should be about 1/4 inch larger than your entire ear, adjust accordingly.....then make it 1 row more (if using the hairband method.....1 dc row then sc around the band)....The flower can be adjusted by adding or decreasing rows of petals or by using a smaller hook. The flowers are about 1/2-3/4 inch wider than the circumfrance of my ear. The round ones were made using a size G hook and the flowers an H hook. I hope that made sense.

Definately a new and cool idea :) Maybe a version with a chain between them so they look like regular muffs? I'm making mittens and legwarmers (the last pair were for my mom :)) in the next month...this would be a good addition to my winter gear!

I don't like things on the top of my head and usually have my hair in a ponytail, that's why I didn't make an attaching chain between them. Although they could have a chain that goes behind the neck so you can't lose them or when you want to take them off without putting them in your pocket. Also, the way I've made them, they can be used as embellishments if you attach a pin to the back. Plus, when people see you wearing them with no visible attachments, they tend to look at you funny or question you about them.

Too cute! Will you do a pattern? (it would be great for the crochet calendar)

Yes, I have patterns hand written for both designs. I wrote them as I was making the first set of each, then I tested the patterns by making the 2nd sets.

Those are adorable!! I could see some in bear, cat or other animals for little guys too. (I have a couple, so...) :D What an ingenious idea!

(I'm not from the South, and my ears are always freezing, too.) :wlol

Tina

What a lovely idea!! Infact hubby dear had asked me to make a cover for his headphones !!

What a great idea! We have a couple sets of headphones around here. One has lost its cover and the other has a cover that is literally rotted. I never thought of crocheting a cover!!! Great idea! :hook

Stitchinpick

Archived