2014 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

Holy cow!  Okay, I will set a reminder to post the scores next week!  On a more positive note, I did manage to use up a skein yesterday, so hopefully my scores will be on the plus side next week...

:manyheart

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about not having a job.  It makes me use my stash.  And unless we get donations to our knitting group, I will try to be in the positives.  But since I am all finished with active treatment, it is time to start looking for a part time job.  I am substituting at the preschool I used to be at, but I've only been called a couple of times.  I need more of a real job.

I pulled out some yarn balls to try to finish those off on some doll projects.  I love the big skeins because they are economical for my doll donations.  However, they do take a long time to finish off when I'm trying to demonstrate that I really am in need of a new yarn buy. :lol  :lol  :lol

Ok just to clarify this for myself.  I posted the first for the week..and the 2nd for the next time period..but it doesn't matter!  it's all yarn... So my WTD through 1/25 was -12 and my YTD is also -12 not the -18 that was posted.  I think that has to be some kind of record for me lol.

Sorry--guess I had a senior moment! Don't want to give you any more than you have!

Hope everyone is feeling better and able to stay in during this cold spell.

So I did some stash cleaning and organizing and rolled a lot of knotted and tossed aside used skeins... A total of 12 balls so that's +12 for me so far this week :) however I do have a shopping itch and will be traveling to the city this Saturday ....

Congrats to all this week's winners and January winners!  I guess we're all winners because we are using up stash or if a negative score then enjoying some new yarn.

I finished up the prayer shawl I was working on and used up two skeins.  Now working on a baby hat with two colors of purple.  I'm at a +5 so far.

I like the Russian join, too.  There's also another one that is invisible and very sturdy, and faster than the Russian join (but it is a knot so there is a bump, but it's slight... :)

So I finally tried this and I rather like it! The afghan I'm making is a double strand worsted giant granny so a tiny little knot isn't going to phase me much. Honestly, a tiny knot like this isn't going to phase me at all since it is a bit easier than the Russian Join. I will have practice that one some more just so I have it fully under my skills belt for later but this double knot...  :manyheart (Also, don't let my old teachers know but I used my first pair of cosmetology/hair shears to cut the ends! I figured it was ok since I have my super expensive and high quality pair I use now that ONLY touch hair, but boy would I get a look from those ladies if they ever found out!)

Also, listening to my weekly lecture for my Systems Analysis and Design class has given me a lot of free time to get some of this yarn down. Just finished off one skein and about to finish off the second one in just a bit. The yarn I'll be replacing it with doesn't EXACTLY match (different brand) but it's close enough for me and it's right here on the desk instead of me having to go get the other one! So +2 for me so far!

So I finally tried this and I rather like it! The afghan I'm making is a double strand worsted giant granny so a tiny little knot isn't going to phase me much. Honestly, a tiny knot like this isn't going to phase me at all since it is a bit easier than the Russian Join. I will have practice that one some more just so I have it fully under my skills belt for later but this double knot...  :manyheart (Also, don't let my old teachers know but I used my first pair of cosmetology/hair shears to cut the ends! I figured it was ok since I have my super expensive and high quality pair I use now that ONLY touch hair, but boy would I get a look from those ladies if they ever found out!)

Also, listening to my weekly lecture for my Systems Analysis and Design class has given me a lot of free time to get some of this yarn down. Just finished off one skein and about to finish off the second one in just a bit. The yarn I'll be replacing it with doesn't EXACTLY match (different brand) but it's close enough for me and it's right here on the desk instead of me having to go get the other one! So +2 for me so far!

I have been using that too and I don't mind it.  Good sturdy knot

I'm doing pretty good.  Up to a +8 so far.  Made more baby hats to use up yarn.  I think my next project is a car seat blanket for the fair.

I'm going to have to look at that join; it sounds useful. I've never quite understood how to use the Russian join since I always want my color changes to be right where I want them - how would I know where to splice the yarn ahead of time??

I really saw the join as something that's good for either the same color yarn being added on or if it's a scrap type blanket where you are just adding yarn as the old one comes off. I personally can't see using it for if you want to change the yarn on purpose. Both have been nice for my giant granny afghan, but I've only been changing skeins of the same color. They are both pretty amazing for those functions though!

-8 more doll yarn that I don't have in my stash that wasn't easily substituted.  It will be fun, I've never worked with this yarn before so we'll see what happens.  I still have some coming from Joann's to work through an out of print 18" doll book.  While I'm happy to be finishing projects I am also hoping to demonstrate to DH that the stash is decreasing and will eventually fit into the storage bins. :yes

The project I've been working with off and on all month....I'm still not close to finishing a skein on it yet. I had wanted to finish the entire project by the end of the month but I don't see that happening. If I can finish this skein by the 31st I'll be happy at this point lol

I feel your pain.  I have big balls of thread and the big skeins of yarn.  The upside is that they do last forever and when I can buy them on sale the cost savings is wonderful.  The downside is they take up lots of room and take forever to finish making my stash grow when I need different colors.

The project I've been working with off and on all month....I'm still not close to finishing a skein on it yet. I had wanted to finish the entire project by the end of the month but I don't see that happening. If I can finish this skein by the 31st I'll be happy at this point lol

I feel your pain.  I have big balls of thread and the big skeins of yarn.  The upside is that they do last forever and when I can buy them on sale the cost savings is wonderful.  The downside is they take up lots of room and take forever to finish making my stash grow when I need different colors.

It's not even a big skein that I'm working with. The color that I used for part of this project that was from a big skein of yarn was for the smallest part of the whole thing.

I had a +8 score going so far this week.  And then the weather got a bit nicer and I made a trip to Hobby Lobby.  Three skeins jumped in my cart. And then I went to the thrift store and found a skein that will go well for the border of the afghan I am working on.  And for 79 cents, I couldn't pass it up.  So now I'm at a big, fat 0 again. 

Archived