Walmart!

Hi. I am very upset at walmart. I went to buy some yarn only the find the entire section blocked by boxes. Apparently they are cutting the yarn down to two aisles from six. I didn't think it was that long!

The fabric is going and so are a lot of other things. Everything is getting cut down.

Hope some yarn is left. :(

How is everyone else's walmart yarn section?

Sadly this is my closest yarn store. michaels is in another city, and they are not cheap.

The bright side is I have a good supply. :)

Thanks for everyone's opinions! :)

We have three walmart supercenters here. The one closest to me has a HALF of an aisle of yarn and no fabric or craft section beyond that. The oldest Walmart in town still has a fabric and craft department with yarn along the back wall, but I have noticed when going in there that they are getting rid of much of theirs as well. Luckily, we also have a fabric store, a Michaels, and a Hobby Lobby so it's not the end of the world. :sigh

Our Walmarts have half of one side of an isle and no fabric section. The Walmart in my hometown has a little bit more yarn and still has a fabric section, but I'm not sure how much longer that will last. I have a Hobby Lobby close by (which I would rather shop at anyway) so I don't complain too much. If there were a better selection of yarn at Walmart, I'd be in BIGGGGGGGG trouble anyway. LOL!

Of the stores I'm familiar with, one has yarn on both sides of the aisle and three others just have it on one side of the aisle. The two larger stores have fabric, and fabric has been brought back to one of the two smaller stores. The smaller stores are in small towns. In the two larger stores, they have recently brought back cross stitch supplies and floss in individual skeins. (As opposed to a multi colored package.)

I definitely think things are improving in many stores.

My only yarn source is a Walmart Supercenter with a limited supply of much of any craft items no less yarn and fabrics..I have contacted both Michaels and Hobby Lobby several times to bring a store near here--never got a reply from neither. They would make a killing here.....:devil

Six aisles???

We've never had six. Two maybe. Those got cut down several years ago.

Some of the Walmarts have half of one side of an an aisles. Some have a entire side.

Fabric was also gone from a lot of stores. In fact some brought it back last year.

None of the craft stores (HL, M, J) have six aisles.

Walmart is my only source for yarn here - Our closest HL or Michael's is 2 hours from me. And I have noticed also that the closest supercenter walmart seems to be cutting down which is 30 minutes away but is no problem for me to get to since that's where my OB appointments are. Our local walmart - which is a NON supercenter still seems do be going strong with yarn.

Our yarn and fabric sections were fine until they put in a Supercenter. We figured we'd see more craft goodies with the new store. Ha! They got rid of the fabric totally, cut the yarn back to 1 side of 1 aisle, and most of the remaining craft items were junk.

What we did was protest and complain all the time, to the local store and to the company. We got our fabric back, but the yarn didn't increase until a few months ago. Slowly more yarn is being added, but because of the set up, there's not really room to put all the yarn together. I discovered a lot of yarn is being put on end caps and in nooks and crannies in the fabric section.

Now I check the entire craft section because some yarn could be stuffed in any little area.

a few yrs back, one of the local walmarts (we have 3 fairly close by) kept its yarn and fabric sections, the other 2 eliminated the sections altogether. before this happened, a lot of us locals sent e-mails to walmart, and luckily, the closest one was the "keeper"! however, the yarn area was shortened to one aisle, now about 3/4 of the aisle, due to the hooks, needles and books. they still have a pretty good fabric area. there is a hobby lobby and a michael's in the next town, but i don't get out much to go there. walmart sometimes has a large "crate" in the center aisle which is full of red heart yarn. it was about $2.47 or so last week when i was there. sometimes they have an endcap of yarn.

I live more or less across the street from one that has almost no yarn, one side of a short aisle. It's in the same shopping center with Joanns, but they don't have much more, and it's spread over so many kinds that I'm even less likely to find what I want there.

The next closest Walmart has a fair amount, and really good selection of RHSS, which is what I mostly use for charity projects. If I need only a skein or two of a particular color, I have a fair shot at getting it at that Walmart, and that is where I can reliably find any new colors. Generally I just wait for a good sale at Joann.com and order online.

We have 1 aisle (both sides) full of yarn, fabric and all the notions that goes with it. They did take out the floss tho, I was disappointed in that. But we also have a Joann's and Michaels and I order online for my yarn as well.

Well I stopped going to Walmart once they put the superstore in. The yarn section is not even a 1/2 section of yarn. I find it a waste going in there. I would rather keep my local markets in business then go there for food and meat.

I have two walmarts close by, one has a small section of yarn which is always a mess, they dont even try to color coordinate the yarn, they just stuff it in the bin thingys.

And the other walmart has a row of yarn, nice and neat, then a big section of fabrics and sewing machines, buttons, ribbons and a huge table for cutting the fabric. Guess where I shop! :D

I have a Super Walmart with in 15 mins walk of my house however they suck on everything..The store is a mess stuff just tossed here and there..the yarn area was one row on one side then in went to half & now it's like 20 skeins area if that including books/needles & stuff.. I usually go to a different store in an ethnic neighbor hood they tend to have huge row of yarn/fabric/sewing/crafts etc... I guess middle class neighborhoods people don't crafts?? I also have found if I go to a area of town that is even more upscale they have really nice Walmarts w/ everything you need...I have the option to Hobby Lobby /Joanna's/Micheal's as well about 30 mins from me...I live in a large town thou

I have a Super Walmart with in 15 mins walk of my house however they suck on everything..The store is a mess stuff just tossed here and there..

Your comment reminded me of someone I know's experience working at Wal-Mart...

Years ago, a friend of mine was desperate for work, so she took the only job available at the time--stocking for a local Wal-Mart. It was back-breaking, exhausting work, that didn't pay very much. She told me that when those big trucks arrived to the store, all the stuff was just tossed in there--there was no rhyme nor reason to it. This made their jobs even harder, as they had to sort everything in some sort of semblance of order to stock it.

She'd finally had it. Even though she knew she'd need to search for a job all over again, she decided her health and sanity weren't worth it. So, one day, she just didn't show up for work. Nowadays, she'd never be this irresponsible, but this sort of goes to her state of mind at that point.

SIX MONTHS went by.

One day, she got a call...you guessed it. It was Wal-Mart, wanting to know if she was coming in that night!

:rofl:rofl:rofl

She was tempted to say, "If I haven't been into work for six months, what are the chances that I'm going to show up tonight???" Instead, she politely told them she had quit. To this day, she can't figure out why they didn't just draft an Abandonment of Employment letter to her after a week of no-shows... :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Our Walmart has one side of an isle of yarn, and I have had a little luck there because they carry Lion Brand Hometown USA acrylic yarn, which I like, but the shelves are usually not stocked well at all. I have found that larger Walmarts don't have as good of a selection as the smaller Walmart near me which is baffling... But I prefer to go to Joann or Hobby Lobby

Only one Walmart by me actually put back their cutting table and aisles of fabric but the word "yarn" is not quite in their vocabulary. The few by me only have 1/2 aisle of yarn and not well stocked either. Once in a while, I find a lot on clearance but not lately.

This has been going on for years. Even with calls and letters, they do not really listen that much to the consumers.

LI Roe

One of the stores I usually go to must be in the phasing out time now since I think yesterday I only saw less then half a row & the other half had frames & plastic flowers in pots..& about maybe 30 ball/skeins of yarn in the area only and no 2 of anything.. how sad when I was a work ( I have time where I must wait hours for people to call for a ride but they work in the area hard to explain my job)this was a place I waited at & walked around & love to grab yarn but I have not been in this area since before holiday so I guess it's going...so sad...

I had asked one of the ladies that worked in the fabric/yarn/etc section and she said that they are not getting rid of their fabric/yarn section because they  have too many seniors and amish people that need that area.  So I feel like I am safe for now. =)

Our Walmart has about a 1/4 of a aisle of yarn and accessories  and on a couple of ends  a bunch stuffed in. City close to me has about a 1/2 a aisle and the other day they were about empty. A clerk was there helping a gentleman, when they were finished I asked her about them being so low in supply. She said she thinks they will not be carrying it much longer. She said they are getting less and less in and that was what happened with the material. Well I didnt think that was such good news for me. Will be Joann fabrics and hobby loby left here and Joanns supply is awful, they have a small amount in back corner and all the real expensive stuff, then a very short aisle, again with the expensive stuff...the fluffy, curly, 8$ and up a skeiin, They only had about  5 dif colors in just plain old yarn. Hobby lobby has more, but they are higher. And for both I have to go about 25 miles. For someone disabled...wont be getting there very often.  ordered my last yarn from red heart, about 3 weeks ago, was looking today and what I ordered is no longer available, only place itr shows up is Joanns online for a lot higher than it was at other stores, but then no one else has any either.. So now 42 rows in to my grandaughter ripple and can't find the yarn anywhere. Need 2935 Sherber...red heart kids...if anyone sees it plz let me know...ty

Jeannie

Archived