Walmart!

our store only has 2 short rows of crafts ; only a small secltion of yarn  ; no material  ;

they moved our joAnn's about 15 miles or more from me .

they did put in a super jo ann's ;but it is in a wrong section of town

it is so frustrating now ;

oh well.

We have two super walmarts one in either direction two cities away. They each have 1/2 isle of mixed yarns that include RHSS,cotton,caron,and baby yarn. They usually if I am luck have 5-6 skeins of each.

They no loner carry fabric or other needle craft supplies.

I live in a rural community and my best ssourdes for yarn are ordering online.

There are 3 WalMarts relatively close to me, and they probably don't have a full aisle of yarn combined! I don't even look at their selection on the rare occasion that I do go to WalMart. We have a JoAnn's, Michael's, and HL within 10 miles, so I just go there.

Walmart--the store many of us love to hate. Our Super Center did away with fabrics and decreased the amount of yarns carried. Then they brought back the fabrics. Now we have a slightly better selection of yarns but very limited quantity of them. If I go there later in the day, the yarn is sure to be blocked by piles of new stock. I buy yarn there as a convenience for that one skein of rh ss that I ran short of while making an afghan or something. Both my sons work there and both have learning disabilities so I am very happy that they have jobs and are self sufficient. But, I am not happy about how they are sometimes treated like penalizing them and reducing full time hours down to 4 hours one week because a doctor gave son a note to take to work saying he wasn't to work because of 103 temperature.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 walmarts near me...the one, I pretty much never go to, the other one -.-  Lets just say, I would have better luck going to a yard sale most of the time!  They have about 1/4 of an isle in the craft section for yarn and yarn accessories. About half of that is crochet thread (and there's never much of that either). For a decent selection, I have to go to Joanns (they finally opened one up here!!!) or Michaels (I kno there's one up here, I've been to to it once, but I couldn't tell you where it's at for the life of me!) So I can understand your frustration with them!

I don't have a walmart. ):  Back when I lived in Ohio I never did any of this stuff and then when I move here to Belgium I pick it up and finding yarn is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.  They don't have a lot of big stores here like in the u.s. It's more like shops here and there.  But I have found some stores that have a little yarn in them and have found a yarn store that is expensive.  My husband recently found a hobby store in the city he works at and it's mostly fabric and buttons etc etc but there is a section there with yarn and they seem to be the best for me.  Lots of color choices.  I miss walmart! lol  The ones back home don't even have a whole aisle or yarn.  I still buy like crazy when I am home for a visit.  When I arrived back here in belgium last year I had like 15 balls of yarn in my suitcases and the customs lady was like wow. lol I will be back home in July and plan on doing the same thing. haha!  

I used to buy most of my yarn at a Walmart in a small Fla. town, where the staff replenished the shelves regularly. Now I live near two big Walmarts with small selections of yarn that gets demolished by customers, so I don't buy yarn at WM anymore. What I'd like to know is why yarnies' supplies almost always are relegated to the back of the store -- whether it's WM or craft stores -- and often with the narrowest aisles, where the staff likes to leave stacks of merchandise blocking those skinny aisles. Are yarn crafters a minority in the cart world?

• 1 month later...

We only have a Walmart in my town, too. There is a Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnns in Las Vegas, but they are an hour away.  Our Walmart has one aisle (the back wall only) of yarn. It does have fabric, and other craft supplies, too. But I'm getting more and more disappointed in their yarn, and it's so unorganized and half the time out of the color I want.    Oh, we do have a LYS here, but it isn't much better than Walmart IMO..

Our little Walmart is constantly a work in progress.  They take this out and add something else.  Then that new item disappears but a cheaper replacement appears.  We finally got our fabric section back but they reduced the yarn section by almost half.  Every time I do my monthly shopping in that store it's like walking through a whole different store...sigh. 

It has been about 5 years since our regular WalMart closed and the SuperCenter opened up, and when that happened we went from having the usual craft/fabric/yarn department to having virtually nothing.  We've got about 1 aisle of craft stuff, 1/2 aisle of yarn and no fabric.  The only GOOD thing about it is that if I happen to catch them juuuuuust right I can get the cones of Peaches and Creme cotton for $7.90 each, which is half the price of ordering it online from the manufacturer!  WalMart will order 4 or 5 different colors, 5 skeins of each color, so if you're doing a large cotton project you can make out fairly well if you time it right.  If not, you're just out of luck.

Up here in Alaska, I live by one super Walmart. It has only one aisle of yarn and a large selection of fabrics. I wish they dedicated more space for yarn but oh well. The upside is that they sell the yarn I like at a better price.

Archived