Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look what I found at the library. See what you started Katy. Lol

That looks like an interesting book.  I don't believe I have ever come across that one.  

After several cloudy rainy days yesterday and today were perfect---sun shining, not too hot and not too cold.  I'm not into baseball but most everyone in this area is really excited this year.  

Good evening ladies. How was everyone's day??? Today i took my babies to get fixed. They are sleeping right now and seem to be some pain.. The vet gave some pain meds for them so will them one closer to bed time...

SO no crocheting done today..

Someone... quick.. PLEASE put the brakes on October all ready!! This month is flying by and then it's November and then Christmas. Ack!  I haven't been feeling well, chest pain issues ugh, but crocheted a couple of hooded cowls the past few days. I also made some towel rings and bought several towels to give as gifts (thank you bgs!!!) Kim, can't wait for my package. Thank you. 

Last hedgie baby went home today. I have one boy I was going to keep but thinking of placing him as well. 

Owlvamp, your package went out tues, so maybe tomorrow? Hope your babies are better. 

I can read through everything and by the time I get to the reply, forget what I read. So sorry bout that. :/ Hope everyone else is doing well. 

oh also, word of dissapointment here, went to Hobby Lobby today, and guess what...They don't carry Red Heart anymore....I was flabbergasted, as i use mostly that, so i asked, she said, and not too nicely that it all went to something else, i said, yes, I noticed ILTY, and your new brand of crafters secret, a few vanna's yarn, and then the fancy ones, are all you have, so you have lost a really good customer.....she just scoffed, and I walked out with my small purchase of one ILTY, and one or two, crafters secret skeins.......huff, that ticks me off, so now all i have is walmart, joannes, and Michaels, with niether of those carrying a very wide selection, ho hum!! just so you know, check out the hobby lobby near you, it's probably all of them though....anyone??

I thought it was just mine. :( I went there looking and they didn't have any either about a month ago. I was so disappointed. I have about 5 walmarts within 30-40 miles of me so I just make the rounds. When I moved to this town, 2 years ago... they had NO yarn. I was devastated and complained and suggested and begged and now we have a little bit of an arts/crafts/fabric dept back. lol 

I feel your pain though. 

oh also, word of dissapointment here, went to Hobby Lobby today, and guess what...They don't carry Red Heart anymore....I was flabbergasted, as i use mostly that, so i asked, she said, and not too nicely that it all went to something else, i said, yes, I noticed ILTY, and your new brand of crafters secret, a few vanna's yarn, and then the fancy ones, are all you have, so you have lost a really good customer.....she just scoffed, and I walked out with my small purchase of one ILTY, and one or two, crafters secret skeins.......huff, that ticks me off, so now all i have is walmart, joannes, and Michaels, with niether of those carrying a very wide selection, ho hum!! just so you know, check out the hobby lobby near you, it's probably all of them though....anyone??

we don't have a hobby lobby close by,jo-Anns is way across town,so for me its Michaels or Wal-Mart

the price they want for Red Heart at Michael's is ridiculous,If they don't have what I want/or they are snarky I leave with 0 purchases

Yes, Katy I have been noticing all summer that HL (two stores) have been phasing out RHSS  I think its crazy that their store brand is actually more expensive than RH.  The plus side is they seem to have a lot of colors to choose from so I sometimes get a skein if I really need a special color.   I have used the ILTY but not the Crafter's Secret.  I stopped at a different Michael's the other day and its yarn department is really lacking compared to the store that I usually shop at. I don't buy much at Michael's just a skein or two if II can't wait to get it elsewhere.  Anymore it seems like I get most of my yarn at Walmart or Jo-Ann's.  

Owlvamp, hope your babies are feeling better.

sopo, I feel your pain. When Oct popped up on the calendar I was thinking where did this year go and oh no Christmas is just around the corner. With my dad sick I am not really looking forward to Christmas.  On the one hand he will be here for Christmas (he is usually in FL) but on the other hand my stepmom's kids and families will probably come in for Christmas and everyone will meet at my sister's house. That's a lot of people.  My sis and I usually split the food bill and I help prep, set up, and clean up.   Glad you liked the towel rings.  I try to keep a good supply of them and towels on hand as they make handy little gifts

I think Im on a mission. Work is slow, and with not feeling well and stress... I think I've made about 10 towel rings so far. I have a lot of left over cotton so found a new tension release. 

Last year was the first year my mom's family has gotten together in years and years. When I was young, all 5 kids, and all grandkids would meet at my grandparents. They quit doing that but losing an aunt last year brought them closer. Unfortunately, that didn't last long. Also, last year, I spent Christmas Eve with my friend, he took me to a movie and their town has a huge light display in the park so  he took me to that and then even ice cream at midnight. Best Christmas ever so not looking forward to this year either. 

Question for you guys.... when do you throw away scraps? I mean, when you get down to the very end of them how much is left when you decide there is just no need to hold onto it?  I seem to have a problem throwing any away so have this pile of I don't know what to do with scraps. 

I knew it had been at least 7 weeks, given my recovery, ha ha, but sheesh, who'd a thunk......I don't mind the Crafters Secret, it's a bit like Red Heart, but have no idea how it holds up in afghans, and laundry.....It's only 2.99 a skein, so thought I get a little to it out. Also, Michaels, has a store brand, I forget what it is called, it is also, about 3 bucks a skein, maybe it's crafters secret too, I don't remember, lol ILTY is more than red heart used to be, but walmart here again, has red heart the cheapest, so from now on, Ill get it there, or online, like owlvamp suggested, lol

I thought it was just mine. :( I went there looking and they didn't have any either about a month ago. I was so disappointed. I have about 5 walmarts within 30-40 miles of me so I just make the rounds. When I moved to this town, 2 years ago... they had NO yarn. I was devastated and complained and suggested and begged and now we have a little bit of an arts/crafts/fabric dept back. lol 

I feel your pain though. 

yes, sad day here in omaha, lol

we don't have a hobby lobby close by,jo-Anns is way across town,so for me its Michaels or Wal-Mart

the price they want for Red Heart at Michael's is ridiculous,If they don't have what I want/or they are snarky I leave with 0 purchases

WOW, I never even talk to a clerk there at Michaels, but she was snippy at HL. , soooo lol. Like i said, their bargain brand, is fine, or so it seems, and in some nice colors too but there again, not a wide choice, they are driving us all to the internet!!!!!

I think Im on a mission. Work is slow, and with not feeling well and stress... I think I've made about 10 towel rings so far. I have a lot of left over cotton so found a new tension release. 

Last year was the first year my mom's family has gotten together in years and years. When I was young, all 5 kids, and all grandkids would meet at my grandparents. They quit doing that but losing an aunt last year brought them closer. Unfortunately, that didn't last long. Also, last year, I spent Christmas Eve with my friend, he took me to a movie and their town has a huge light display in the park so  he took me to that and then even ice cream at midnight. Best Christmas ever so not looking forward to this year either. 

Question for you guys.... when do you throw away scraps? I mean, when you get down to the very end of them how much is left when you decide there is just no need to hold onto it?  I seem to have a problem throwing any away so have this pile of I don't know what to do with scraps. 

so sorry you are not anticipating Christmas, that might change though, the closer we get to it, so don't dispair sopo. How scarppy are scraps, my rule of thumb is such, if I can't make a darn yoyo out of it, and there is nothing I need to hand sew together where that strand would work, out it goes... Some save there's for stuffing i hear it makes a good stuffing.....hope that helped...lol

oh, some eye candy, unrelated to granny squares, i know, my bad, but someone back a ways asked about the fingerless gloves. I have made about 10 pair so far for the brunch bunch, there are six of us permanent members,but someone or two quietoften bring a friend or a neighbor, or a mom, or daughter or sister, so I wanted to hae enough, the rest that don't get given to the brunch bunch, will join my pile of donation things to the Open Door Mission here in Omaha, so no harm done....They are nothing fancy, like SOME people can do, she says jealously (yeah, you kuddles, lol ) but they get the job done. I wear them sometimes when working at the computer, so my hands don't get cold too!! here's a pic! ohm, ignore m y messy work table, Im getting ready to post some squares on Kims thread, ha ha........

post-40621-0-73638300-1413570672_thumb.jpg

sopo, I think my best Christmas(es) were when my nephew and niece were little.  I had so much fun with them and that was before the family started getting smaller from deaths and divorce.  I do really enjoy my Christmas tree, decorations, music and some of the events/displays around town.   It's just Christmas day wears me out.  At least we quit doing a formal sit down dinner a couple of years ago.  That was hard with people coming at different times.  There is still plenty to eat---nachos, barbecue for sandwiches, cheese, summer sausage, veggie/fruit trays, multiple types of cookies,etc,etc., etc.  On scraps l use them to make the first rounds of a granny square. Then I started tying them together thinking I would do the magic ball thing and eventually make something.  I eventually made smaller balls out of it because my cat loves playing with them.  I have also used scraps  and ends for stuffing especially cat toys.  

katy I love the glove.  I forget which pattern you use or is it your own creation.  I keep thinking I want to make some but never picked out a pattern.  

I have noticed the same thing here with Hobby Lobby as well. I was also very disappointed at their selection of what they did have.

Well, so it's all the hobby lobby's, me thinks an email, for all it's worth, is in order, least for me !!

that's cute, making cat balls out of your scraps, what better use i CAN NOT think of, lol

Thanks, the glove is a simple thing to do, once I figured out how I wanted it, i tweeked, and tweeked, and frogged and frogged, before I finally got something I liked enough to pass out to the girls, lol. I always tell them, if you are not gonna use this, or really don't want one, it won't offend me, Ill just put it in my donation pile, or keep it! lol, So far, no one has every refused to take whatever I bring, sometimes two! lol

So, thanks for the compliment, I was unsure, but I think they are fine now..lol

It has eggs, sausage, cheese, onion, green peppers, and fresh grated hash brown potatoes in it, and it's really a good dish, for brunch or company I found!! lemme know, if you want the recipie, I think I can still find it on Allrecipies.

I would like the recipe, please

I don't think I've ever paid attention to RHSS in Hobby Lobby because I always go in there for ILTY. It's just usually cheaper in Walmart but I like ILTY so much better. I feel like I saw someone a while back talking about how Hobby Lobby completely phased out their RHSS and moved entirely to ILTY but I can't remember where... Maybe in shopping talk or off topic or something. 

We're headed back home tomorrow from my dad's so I'll be around regularly again. Dad's wifi is just so iffy for my laptop and on my phone it's so much more difficult so I'm reading and keeping up but not posting so much. This is the first time I've had my laptop out and I've just got this charge till it's dead and then it becomes complicated. 

Anybody know if we can post videos on here or just pictures? Sister sent me a great video of Peanut that my dad and I have been laughing till we cried over for about 2 days now but I don't know if I can share it here or not. You can always friend me on Facebook (link in m signature) if you want to see it. I'm biased but it really is hilarious. 

I've got all my squares for Sheila's ghan and I'm working on the layout now. I've got it mostly figured out and will start putting it together when we get home tomorrow night.

Hope everyone had a good week!!  :ghug

Good morning chatties!

Well yesterday was interesting......I am next to a school that is next to our admin building. Got a bomb threat about 10 am and the director came running over to the trailer I work in and yelled for us to get out. I grabbed my coat and purse and got out. We all, including the kids, walked two blocks down to a middle school while the police, fire dept and finally bomb sniffing dog showed. Once the all clear came, we walked back. All in all, was 1.5 hours start to finish. Good news they know who did it (a girl) and they will prosecute. The school where the call came in to is a school for BD kids (behavior issues).

So that was my Friday!

Hoping for a calm weekend!

Have a good one all!

kuddles

Archived