Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hey everybodeeee! Things have been busy here while I've been busy elsewhere!

I've actually been getting some crocheting done - went to use up some yarn on an afghan for us. I had to buy two skeins of bulky yarn (Homespun Thick & Quick) to finish a baby blanket for a gift, and used something like a yard of each skein. So I decided to just make big squares with the leftovers for an afghan for us here... but of course I needed more. I'm almost done with the squares in my head! I think just one more skein will do it. I hope. *fingers crossed*

Yarn monkey, your ghan looks beautiful so far! I can't wait to see how the new additions will look. I'm going to see if I can find the tentative layout picture I did of mine now....

I can't even think straight right now. Little guy's getting us up every night, and DH hurt his ankle to the point where he couldn't drive this week. Carpooling means a lot more work for me, and no gym time. :( Since I also have to take the dog out when she needs to go out - it's her fault he got hurt in the first place and trying to walk her would be way too much strain on it!

But we've got some visiting coming up which will be nice... and of course it always feels good to actually be crocheting!

Hope DH's ankle heals soon.  Don't you just hate to have to keep buying more yarn trying to be good and using up what you have?  I find myself in that predicament quite often.

Good morning all! Having a hard time waking up today! But so glad it is Friday!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

Back at you.  Hope you and Kiddles have a good weekend.

Does anyone have that one resource for square patterns that just won't work up to gauge no matter how hard you try???  :bang

I'm working on squares for   :nahnah  (someone) and found these lovely 6" squares. I'm using RHSS and a G hook (it's the tightest I have EVER crocheted) and I'm still about 3 or 4 rounds from done and already at 6". I mean, there's no way to get them smaller! So this particular person isn't getting a 6" square, she's getting a 9!  :yes Oh well! It's just too beautiful to frog and start over. But every single one of the patterns from this website do this to me!! They need to have some 3" or 4" squares so I can start getting 6" out of them!  :lol

I have come across some squares like that..  I have even had that problem with patterns that normally work okay. Sometimes the yarn is a little thicker (within the same brand) and its enough to throw me off.

Getting ready for a busy weekend.  We will be busy all day Sat and Sun with the bonsai society in KC.  I am a little concerned as we have someone that is shooting at cars on the major highways in KC and we travel those frequently.

pineknott it's still morning here and to the west.  

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no! I hope they catch them quickly! :(

It does feel so counterproductive to have to buy more yarn to use up what you have. I guess it's like they say it takes money to make money? :lol

Different thickness yarn would be my best guess about the gauge issue too. I ran into that with my space shuttle; I never really believed before how different in thickness different "worsted" yarns could be!

Got another 40% off coupon in the mail today so I'm stopping on the way home to pick up what will hopefully be the last skein for this afghan. Woo! And then I think I won't have to buy more yarn for a while. I'm seriously on a stash busting kick lately!

Oh no! I hope they catch them quickly! :(

It does feel so counterproductive to have to buy more yarn to use up what you have. I guess it's like they say it takes money to make money? :lol

Different thickness yarn would be my best guess about the gauge issue too. I ran into that with my space shuttle; I never really believed before how different in thickness different "worsted" yarns could be!

Got another 40% off coupon in the mail today so I'm stopping on the way home to pick up what will hopefully be the last skein for this afghan. Woo! And then I think I won't have to buy more yarn for a while. I'm seriously on a stash busting kick lately!

I think the shootings have been going on for about a month now.  Last I heard it was 13 and so far they feel at least 6 of them were the same person.  So far no one has been killed but I think 3 people have been hit.  Sometimes people don't realize it happened until they notice the holes in their car the next day. 

I have been trying to not buy yarn and use up what I have as I had a very ample stash and then inherited my aunt's plus her unfinished projects.  I have been needing to buy yarn to do the last round on squares and join at the same time because I never seem to have enough of the right color to do that. 

At times I have found significant differences in the thickness of RHSS.  Seems like every once in a while one color will be a lot thicker while another will be thinner.  The turquoise I got was really thick. 

Hey all I know I have been AWOL for a while now. But been very very busy. Working on getting an apartment. Hopefully by the first of next month. Tomorrow I go up to Indy and take classes to become a Zumba Instructor. I am very excited about it. 

Hope all is well with everyone. there is no way i can catch up on all i have missed. 

I am great this vinegar and honey diet is working wonders for me. I have lost a half inch in my waist. WOOT WOOT. 

Be Blessed.....

Nothing much going on here. There should be; I have a lot to do. I'm tired though. Had another good check up with the OB. I'm not gaining weight but baby seems to be growing fine. I tried to coax the doc into coming up with a reason for an ultrasound (I'm dying to know what this baby is!) but he said I won't get one unless I make it to 39 weeks, to check the baby's weight. 

I think the shootings have been going on for about a month now.  Last I heard it was 13 and so far they feel at least 6 of them were the same person.  So far no one has been killed but I think 3 people have been hit.  Sometimes people don't realize it happened until they notice the holes in their car the next day. 

I have been trying to not buy yarn and use up what I have as I had a very ample stash and then inherited my aunt's plus her unfinished projects.  I have been needing to buy yarn to do the last round on squares and join at the same time because I never seem to have enough of the right color to do that. 

At times I have found significant differences in the thickness of RHSS.  Seems like every once in a while one color will be a lot thicker while another will be thinner.  The turquoise I got was really thick. 

I've noticed the RHSS black and burgundy are thicker. Its frustrating!

Hi Squares!  Good to see everyone chatting away.  I've been dealing with migraines all week, so haven't been too chatty myself.  I saw some great shirts and squares and an apron!  WTG everyone! They are all wonderful.  Take care all.  I'll see you soon.

Hey all I know I have been AWOL for a while now. But been very very busy. Working on getting an apartment. Hopefully by the first of next month. Tomorrow I go up to Indy and take classes to become a Zumba Instructor. I am very excited about it. 

Hope all is well with everyone. there is no way i can catch up on all i have missed. 

I am great this vinegar and honey diet is working wonders for me. I have lost a half inch in my waist. WOOT WOOT. 

Be Blessed.....

Glad you checked in.  Let Katie know when you get your new address.  Congrats on the weight loss.  I hope the zumba instructor job works out for you.  Between that and the diet you will really lose weight and get into shape. 

Nothing much going on here. There should be; I have a lot to do. I'm tired though. Had another good check up with the OB. I'm not gaining weight but baby seems to be growing fine. I tried to coax the doc into coming up with a reason for an ultrasound (I'm dying to know what this baby is!) but he said I won't get one unless I make it to 39 weeks, to check the baby's weight. 

Well Cindy not much going on is good news, means you and yours are doing okay.  Don't stress about not getting things done.  You need to focus on you and baby doing all right. 

ohhhhh hello everyone!!

Lots  of chat that Ill never catch up on either, but love it when the thread gets BUSY!!!

Perfect spring weather, that's what we have now, looks like we're out of the winter blues for a while, lol

Saw a piece on our news station about the shooter on the highway, what the hec!! I mean sheesh, is that what some people think is a way to pass the time??????

Cindy, you must be a tiny little thing, lol not to gain weight with a baby, say what!!!

as long as he or she is healthy, that is the important thing!

Good to hear from you dragnlady, i swear, i was going to email you tonight to see if you were ok!!! ESP, or is that CSP

(Crochet Sensory Perception!)

so sorry for the migraines ann, hope all clears up soon!

Viking,Carol,and pineknott, and sandra,hello to all else I may have  forgotten already!  One of our neighbors up the street, came to the door the other night, said she had had a mild stroke,and was dropping off a check for some work Handydandy did a while back, and could I fill in the check for her, as she lost some short term memmory, and could not for the life of her, remember his name. poor lady, she is so nice, but I think we all get a little short on short term memory, naturally too.

I had a point, honest, but have forgotten what it was! see!! TOLD YA!

Oh, was gonna tell you all too, a nifty deal for you to keep in your supply crochet bag, besides the normal, like hand lotion,a file, some bandaids,,,,,,, I have this bottle, i got a while back,i knew of it a long time ago, and have gotten several bottles since, it's called, Skin Shield, it's a liquid you paint on a cut or booboo, when you are crocheting  even,you just dab it on with the little brush, blow on it to dry, and it forms a clear liquid bandaid on your owie!!

I just thought the other day, to put some in my crochet "accessory bag tool kit thing" and thought i would tell you all about it, sure beats having a bandaid getting in  the way from that needle prick or snagged nail till you can fix it propery!!!!!!!!

Perfect spring weather, that's what we have now, looks like we're out of the winter blues for a while, lol

Cindy, you must be a tiny little thing, lol not to gain weight with a baby, say what!!!

as long as he or she is healthy, that is the important thing!

Oh, was gonna tell you all too, a nifty deal for you to keep in your supply crochet bag, besides the normal, like hand lotion,a file, some bandaids,,,,,,, I have this bottle, i got a while back,i knew of it a long time ago, and have gotten several bottles since, it's called, Skin Shield, it's a liquid you paint on a cut or booboo, when you are crocheting  even,you just dab it on with the little brush, blow on it to dry, and it forms a clear liquid bandaid on your owie!!

I'm not tiny at all! (see pic below; me 2 weeks ago) My pre-pregnancy weight was 220 lbs. I weighed in at 221.5 lbs today. Its not uncommon for heavier women to gain little to no weight or even lose. It just makes me so nervous since C was so small at birth (5 lbs 4 oz, full term). I'm afraid of having another tiny baby (though Peanut has her beat!). The nice thing is that I'll weight less after giving birth than I did when I conceived.

And I love Skin Shield! Not only does it act like a bandaid, it is also an antiseptic. Its flexible like skin and stays on better than a bandaid (in some places). I have 2 bottles; one in the medicine cabinet and one in my purse.

post-48303-0-81627900-1397262375_thumb.jpg

Well good morning squares! Lots of chat and some chit!

Today will be a glorious 72-75 degrees out! Of course you know that means kiddles and I will be walking two times, a long ones at that! I might treat her to Chili's for lunch, I got a gift card a while back. She loves to go out to eat, we don't do it much (the cost of course).

Next Friday/Saturday we will be going downstate to visit my family for easter so that is something to look forward to!

I hope everyone feels better, stays warm, stays dry, stays busy, gets some rest.......whatever you need!

kuddles

Good Morning!

Sounds like you are all keeping busy. 

Ann, I hope you're feeling better.

Cindy, I didn't gain much weight with my first baby, she was 6 lbs. 3 oz. and healthy. The important things is that the baby is doing well.

dragnlady5, hope everything works out with the job and apartment. Congrats on the diet going well too.

Katie, what were talking about? I can't remember.....i guess I suffer from that memory problem called age too, and I don't consider myself old.

Kuddles, enjoy the weather and walks. Lunch at Chili's sounds yummy. 

bgs, I find differences in the yarn thinkness too. Those shootings sound scary.

I'm enjoying a day in my sewing room again, seems to be my favorite place on Saturdays. I'm working on a princess scrub top for my youngest daughter who will be graduating from nursing school in less than 2 weeks. 

Thats about it for me for now. Have a great day everyone!

Good morning, all! Looks like another day in the 70s. Woohoo!

cshort--With my first, I gained 34 lbs and she was 7 lbs 1 oz. With C, I gained 18 lbs and she weighed 5 lbs 4 oz. They don't know why she was so small. I've been worried with this one because I haven't gained but they doctor says the baby is doing fine so I'm trying not to worry. Easier said than done!

Hope DH's ankle heals soon.  Don't you just hate to have to keep buying more yarn trying to be good and using up what you have?  I find myself in that predicament quite often.

Back at you.  Hope you and Kiddles have a good weekend.

I have come across some squares like that..  I have even had that problem with patterns that normally work okay. Sometimes the yarn is a little thicker (within the same brand) and its enough to throw me off.

Getting ready for a busy weekend.  We will be busy all day Sat and Sun with the bonsai society in KC.  I am a little concerned as we have someone that is shooting at cars on the major highways in KC and we travel those frequently.

pineknott it's still morning here and to the west.  

It's a yellow that I'm using and I think it's probably the thinnest RHSS that I've ever had. Their yarn is just so strange with thickness and never consistent! Although it's cheap, so I can't complain too much. I figured with such a thin yarn, it's pretty much a 3 instead of a 4, and a G hook, I should be fine. But with all of the patterns from this website, I think I'd need a 2 and a D hook to get these squares to work to gauge! 

Be Blessed.....

Good luck on the Zumba instructor classes! I bought the Zumba for the XBox, but I think I need something a little more beginner because I was completely lost! It seems like it would be really fun though, so I might check the gym that DH and I have a membership to and see if they have a class for Super Beginners! Lol!

Glad your checkup went well! As long as baby seems to be doing well, it's all you can ask! You haven't found out if you're going to have a boy or a girl yet? (Maybe I missed it in an earlier post!) I don't think I could handle not knowing! I thought they'd give you more regular ultrasounds, but obviously my experience in the baby department is just my sister and since she was having problems with blood pressure, they were giving her an ultrasound every week.

Hi Squares!  Good to see everyone chatting away.  I've been dealing with migraines all week, so haven't been too chatty myself.  I saw some great shirts and squares and an apron!  WTG everyone! They are all wonderful.  Take care all.  I'll see you soon.

Hi, Ann! Hope you've gotten the migraines under control... Have you tried 2 excedrin and a coke (or Pepsi)? My sister's neurologist told her to do that when she was having them so bad and I swear by it for headaches! Something about the aspirin and the caffeine really seems to kick it in the butt!  :yes

Not too much on the agenda here today! Thank goodness! I'm hoping to get some housecleaning done that has honestly been neglected in the last few months and maybe a little hooky time too. The weather is so beautiful here today so I'd like to spend some time outside too, but I just have to come up with what. Too bad I can't do the indoor chores outside so I can enjoy it!  :lol

Glad your checkup went well! As long as baby seems to be doing well, it's all you can ask! You haven't found out if you're going to have a boy or a girl yet? (Maybe I missed it in an earlier post!) I don't think I could handle not knowing! I thought they'd give you more regular ultrasounds, but obviously my experience in the baby department is just my sister and since she was having problems with blood pressure, they were giving her an ultrasound every week.

The weather is so beautiful here today so I'd like to spend some time outside too, but I just have to come up with what. Too bad I can't do the indoor chores outside so I can enjoy it!  :lol

No, I don't know what the sex of the baby is yet. I probably won't know until birth! It is standard practice for a woman to only have one ultrasound at around 20 weeks. Some do one at the beginning of pregnancy for dating purposes so they can be sure exactly how far along the baby is since going by last menstrual cycle isn't always accurate. Sometimes they'll do one at the end to check the baby's size to see if induction is indicated. Some woman/babies need to be more closely monitored and will get more ultrasounds. Some lucky women have docs with portable u/s machines that don't bill for an u/s and can have one done whenever they want!

Its nice out here too. The girls have been on the playground twice today. Since I don't trust my 3 yr to be out there unsupervised, I sit on the porch and watch them from there (its like 50 yards from our apt)

No, I don't know what the sex of the baby is yet. I probably won't know until birth! It is standard practice for a woman to only have one ultrasound at around 20 weeks. Some do one at the beginning of pregnancy for dating purposes so they can be sure exactly how far along the baby is since going by last menstrual cycle isn't always accurate. Sometimes they'll do one at the end to check the baby's size to see if induction is indicated. Some woman/babies need to be more closely monitored and will get more ultrasounds. Some lucky women have docs with portable u/s machines that don't bill for an u/s and can have one done whenever they want!

Its nice out here too. The girls have been on the playground twice today. Since I don't trust my 3 yr to be out there unsupervised, I sit on the porch and watch them from there (its like 50 yards from our apt)

Clearly I know very little about the process! Lol! My sister's doctor's office had doctors on one side and ultrasound on the other side of the building. I just got so used to weekly ultrasound that I just assumed that was normal! Are you hoping for a particular gender?

Morning! Although they predicted storms during the nite, we got none! Today is chance of rain on and off but decent temps so more walks today planned! Three yesterday, hope for two today!

I'm sad though. Did a new embroidery design on my machine and when almost done, the carriage messed up! I think it is hosed! It is the machine I've had for about 17 years. Will still sew okay but the embroidery part is messed up. I have a second machine that only embroiders so I'm good but I'd like both working! I think it will be expensive to fix so....won't happen!

Have a great day!

kuddles

Kuddles

I've never embroidered with a machine,sounds interesting

the sun is shining here too,it will be in the 80's,and achooooooooooo the pollen is thick,cars coated in yellow

she is still being Houdini with the diapers at nite,sigh

Hello everyone!

Kuddles, sorry to hear your machine is not working. I don't have an embroidery machine but I am lost when my sewing machine is not working.

We had rain during the night and I was in and out of showers this morning going and coming from church. But the temps a little cooler today.

I'm feeling a little lazy today so I don't know if I want to sew or just chill on the sofa with some yarn and a hook or maybe I should take pics of the Easter outfits and post them. I have to be back at church at 7 tonight for a youth leaders meeting so I better not get too comfortable.

I have a 4 day work week this week and then I will be heading to DD's house to spend the holiday weekend with my grandkids.

Have a great day everyone.

Morning! Although they predicted storms during the nite, we got none! Today is chance of rain on and off but decent temps so more walks today planned! Three yesterday, hope for two today!

We had storms! Nothing bodacious, but we did have them. Thankfully, the girls slept through it all (which is unusual for C).

Kuddles

I've never embroidered with a machine,sounds interesting

the sun is shining here too,it will be in the 80's,and achooooooooooo the pollen is thick,cars coated in yellow

she is still being Houdini with the diapers at nite,sigh

I'm not looking forward to the pollen! Its been mild here in IL. The pollen was bad in NY and VA. Its the pine that gets me. I'll need an inhaler next spring. Yay. We'll see how C does since she's never been exposed to pollen like that.

Hello everyone!

We had rain during the night and I was in and out of showers this morning going and coming from church. But the temps a little cooler today.

I have a 4 day work week this week and then I will be heading to DD's house to spend the holiday weekend with my grandkids.

Have a great day everyone.

Cooler here too, by about 20 degrees. So sad. Y has a 4-day school week this week and next (she has Fri and Mon off). I'll have her all day on my birthday! (Apr 21st)

Not a lot going on this week. My Mon/Wed night client cancelled for Mon night but a last-minute job I did last Mon afternoon looks like it is going to be regular (weekly) until I give birth. Yay! Apparently, they liked me enough that they are going to switch which agency they use to mine. Sweet! I still have a lot to get done around the house before the baby comes, but I've written out a schedule so that I don't go overboard on any given day. No need to rush I've (probably) got plenty of time. I need to take it easy.

so sorry about the mil linda, and the machine kuddles, and i gotta hand it to you cindy, if I were moving soon, I would be overwhelmed with all I had to do, lol, im so glad you are not, and are taking it easy in your last days of pregnancy!!

We would love to see your outfits cshort, lol (tapping fingers impatiently!)

ha ha,

raining raining here, lots, constant but need it for the plants and trees, and grass, so not complaining...Temps down too from 86 the other day to about 49 or so today. Could be way worse, we don't get many tornado warnings here, but they do all around us, so glad that isn't happening anywhere close by..

I have to go out in this in a while, whenever there is a lull in the rain, i need a couple things if I am going to make what I want for supper, soooo, lol  making what mom always called slumgullian, which is sort of goulash, if you don't know the word slumgulliian ... Must be german, or english, not sure which! Mom was half of both!

Its tomato paste, diced tomatoes, hamburger or you can even use ground turkey, noodles, seasonings,onion, and cheese, if you like... I throw all kinds of things in, green peppers too. I make a big pot,and it lastsl for a few lunches at least, after the intitial meal. and i think I will have biscuits with it,and some cottage cheese or something too.....

Doesn't sound a bit attractive right now, and we just had breakfast a bit ago, lol

All for now, everyone stay dry, stay safe, and have a great day!

Ok Katie. I posted the outfits in other crafts. But I'll post them again here just for you  :)  I have to post them from photobucket because when I posted them directly from my computer they turned sideways  :think

NicolesEasteroutfit_zpsf33290ea.jpg

AllansEasterOutfit_zps0d4843e4.jpg

Here is the Disney princess scrub top I made for my DD who will be finishing nursing school soon. The picture is not the best but when I hung it on the hanger the center folded in and didn't look good. I think it may be a bit too big but I'd rather have it too big and be able to take it in than too small and have to start all over again.

Princessscrub_zpsef6da4a2.jpg

Archived