Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cindy the little flower ghan is cute.   I am sure someone will find it and give it a good home.  I have several  projects my aunt started that I need to figure out how to finish them.  Glad you are doing okay.

Kuddles glad that things at work have improved for you and you don't have to dread going in it all the time.

pineknott, :hug it just has to get better, it's just hard not knowing when.

yarn_monkey, I am working on squares for you, glad you posted the ones you already had.  I recognized ones I sent before so will be sure to do different ones this time.

Katie, you inspired me to dig out some of my embroidery projects.  I have some pillowcases to do.

owlvamp, cshort, jessicali, and everyone else  :waving

yay for squares, that pretty ghan, and all of our projects!! Im glad I inspired you Bgs,and I find the more I do, the more i realize my embroidery skills are not perfect, but will get us by!! lol

I have all three cupcakes done now,working on the lettering that says something like Life Is Sweet! underneath them so cute, I will wash it gently, to remove the stamped ink cross stitch lines, then iron it,and fold it up for dear daughter, along with some mitts, she says she needs mitts, I have two ove gloves, love um, by the way, have had them for years, so I think Ill get her at least one of those, maybe two, if they aren't an arm and a leg, lol have had mine so long, don't know what they run for now.....

Then I will expect, a recipricating gift, maybe some of her special home made good and extra special cupcakes, huh!! lol

So nice out today, gonna hit over 80 by days end they say!!  Washed my full view front door, and the big door, both sides of both,lol doggie rubs against the inside door, as she likes to lay there, to guard us from intruders, i guess, and so it gets dirty, now and then. It's one of those things that if y ou don't do it when you think about it, you can go for months not noticing it again, lol

Then sometime before this coming monday, gotta clean off the top of my big dresser, just jewelery boxes, and perfumes, and such, find a place for them, as dd, an son in law are coming to install a big 42 inch flat screen tv, woo hoo, soooooo gotta put it somewhere, and don't have room in the living room really, without changing everything from here to there, and just really don't wanna go to that much work, besdies, when I watch tv, which really isn't often anymore, I watch it in the bedroom, so will work out fine!!! Just don't know how much space it takes up, but the dresser will make a very sturdy, and steady base to set it on! I think Im gonna like it there!

I may just box up the perfumes, and earrings, and candles, and what have you, for the time being till it's in place, then I  ll  know how much space I will have and what can stay and of course, what can't, an d needs a new home, lol

Got a 50 off coupon too, from Michaels' so have to run over there tomorrow, maybe I can find some other kit, for embroidery, I looked at the pillowcases, hmmmm......lol

if not, Im sure  I can always put a one pounder from caron to good use, lol

All for now, glad to see everyone is out and about and hope the rest of your day, goes well!!!!!!!!

Have fun at Michaels katy. I love going there when I can. Just been folding laundry and cleaned off the counter. Next need to start on my I Spy Swap. Make supper and get dishes done. Still a lot to do before I retire to bed. So off I go.

Cindy the little flower ghan is cute.   I am sure someone will find it and give it a good home.  I have several  projects my aunt started that I need to figure out how to finish them.  Glad you are doing okay.

Kuddles glad that things at work have improved for you and you don't have to dread going in it all the time.

pineknott, :hug it just has to get better, it's just hard not knowing when.

yarn_monkey, I am working on squares for you, glad you posted the ones you already had.  I recognized ones I sent before so will be sure to do different ones this time.

Katie, you inspired me to dig out some of my embroidery projects.  I have some pillowcases to do.

owlvamp, cshort, jessicali, and everyone else  :waving

Thanks, bgs! Can't wait! 

Not much to report here... DH and I had a relaxing day... Went to Lowe's to buy some boxes because some of the ones from my mom's garage were completely destroyed from water damage and I need to switch the contents over to new boxes once I salvage what I can, he got some video games from Best Buy with a Christmas gift card, I went to Penney's and Starbucks and picked up my car from the dealership. I had to have the horns replaced! I couldn't even believe that was a thing... I have a truck that's 27 years old and its horns are all original, but for some reason they went out on my 2013 car. I didn't even know that was possible! And I really should have done laundry, but that's one of those chores that never ends and will still be there tomorrow! I have clean underwear and socks... that's what matters right??  :lol

Hope everyone has a good night and I'll check back in tomorrow!  :yes

Just got a phone from sister tonight she's going back in the hospital tomorrow morning. She's close to having a heart attack if she doesn't get stints put in. This sister lives in ARkansas so there's no way I can go to her. I don't have the funds to do it. She was crying and it was real hard for me and I feel so terrible. I would love to make her a quilt and mail it to her I think I have a few jelly roll quilt tops here. If I can find them may be I can quilt it together and get it out to her .oh shoot my tension on the sewing machine is messed up. I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow.

Good night all!

Good Morning,

Yesterday turned into a very busy day and I never made it to my computer. Not much to report anyway, just work and errands. I don't think I need to make any stops on my way home today, so it will be home to do laundry and hopefully some crocheting now that the grandkids Easter outfits are finished.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Well, lots going on with my Squares! Instead of responding to each, here's a big group :ghug !

After not sleeping good for two nites, I finally slept last nite. But feel hung over today! Kiddles is still in bed, which never happens! We took a big walk yesterday so might have done the trick!

Gotta go! Have a great day!

kuddles

good morning,the sun is shining

the dreaded ID photo for military card looms at 1:30 today,those can bejust  as horrific as DMV photos,lol

well they called and said their system is down,so they set it for tomorrow same time,hopefully it will be up and running,ID card expires Monday

Not shaping up to be a great day today.

Hubs and I have upset bellies.

Y has Stanford testing today and tomorrow (and into next week I think; there was a kerfuffle with the test and they started late)
C isn't feeling well either. She slept in until 9:30! She's usually up by 7:00-7:30. She is now lounging on the couch with a fleece blanket, some water and a snack. No fever. Her temp is 95.9! I took it twice to be sure. She is sweaty but says she's chilly. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Thank goodness neither hubs nor I have anything scheduled for today.

As for the shipyard saga, Hubs contacted the HR lady that is handling his reinstatement to see whats up. She said they have everything they need, he just needs to clear his physical and then they can give him a start date. His physical is scheduled for May 12th (I'm due May 17th) and its in VA. Hubs is calling around trying to find a local (or semi-local) military/VA clinic that is willing to do the physical and then will contact the shipyard clinic to see if they'll fax the physical standards to said clinic. The sooner he can get it done, the sooner he can start. It would also save us the frustration and money of him having to drive all the way to VA and back while leaving me home with a newb or expecting a newb at any moment. If May 12th in VA is the only way to do it, then the HR lady is predicting a start date of about June 15th.

And....at 10:15, she's out again. Poor babe.

Hubs found a place that is willing to do the physical. Its at the Naval Training Center in Great Lakes, IL (Chicago, basically). Apparently, they get these kinds of requests all the time. Now hubs just has to pass along the info to the shipyard clinic and hope for the best. I hope it works out. Chicago is only 3 hrs away!

Good News Cindy! Good luck!!

Owlvamp, sorry to hear of sisters medical issues, hope it gets taken care of for her soon.

Cshort, yep, same here, nothing much new either, I would love to see pics of the easter outfits you made though, if you would pwetty pwease!! lol

if it is on another thread, Ill go look for it ok...

Hi kuddles, where do you walk, where you feel it is safe, cause here, it seems crime takes no preferences over parking lots, walmarts, parks, and public places...

Do you walk inside a mall, or do you have a track nearby??

PIneknot, pics are pics, that just look horrible, cause we aren't used to looiking at ourselves that much, lol but to others, they do look just fine!

Yarn monkey, glad the squares are rollin in for ya!!!! Keep it up Squares!!!

Oh, finished that dang apron, sheesh, that was a tough one, the cross stitches were so tiny............but it turned out really cute, just don't look too closely at the pic im posting, I haven't laundered it yet, but did press out the embroidery part, so I could take a pic, lol, and oh, this one wasn't color marked, so I had to follow thier pic, and changed some things, he he, as always...Take a look, you think along with some new cupcakie tins, two ove gloves, a  couple bottles of sprinkles, and some cake flour, do you think that would make a nice little apartment warming giftee???? Tha'ts my plans anyway, ha ha!!  Thread for pic of apron is here

Thanks all, it was a nice diversion for me, from the hook, but I am ready to get back to 4 ply, and a crochet hook for a bit now, lol

Thanks, bgs! Can't wait! 

Not much to report here... DH and I had a relaxing day... Went to Lowe's to buy some boxes because some of the ones from my mom's garage were completely destroyed from water damage and I need to switch the contents over to new boxes once I salvage what I can, he got some video games from Best Buy with a Christmas gift card, I went to Penney's and Starbucks and picked up my car from the dealership. I had to have the horns replaced! I couldn't even believe that was a thing... I have a truck that's 27 years old and its horns are all original, but for some reason they went out on my 2013 car. I didn't even know that was possible! And I really should have done laundry, but that's one of those chores that never ends and will still be there tomorrow! I have clean underwear and socks... that's what matters right??  :lol

Hope everyone has a good night and I'll check back in tomorrow!  :yes

It does seem wierd that the horn quit on a 2013 car, probably faulty  from the get go.  They just don't make things like they used to.

Just got a phone from sister tonight she's going back in the hospital tomorrow morning. She's close to having a heart attack if she doesn't get stints put in. This sister lives in ARkansas so there's no way I can go to her. I don't have the funds to do it. She was crying and it was real hard for me and I feel so terrible. I would love to make her a quilt and mail it to her I think I have a few jelly roll quilt tops here. If I can find them may be I can quilt it together and get it out to her .oh shoot my tension on the sewing machine is messed up. I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow.

Good night all!

Sorry about your sis.  I know you feel bad about not being there but you have to do what's right for your own personal circumstances.   :hug  :hug Hoping that all goes well with her surgery and thankful that they found out before she had a heart attack.  Sometimes all that is needed to fix the tension on a sewing machine is a new needle.

Good Morning,

Yesterday turned into a very busy day and I never made it to my computer. Not much to report anyway, just work and errands. I don't think I need to make any stops on my way home today, so it will be home to do laundry and hopefully some crocheting now that the grandkids Easter outfits are finished.

Hope everyone has a great day. 

Will we get to see the Easter outfits?  I am sure they are adorable.  I remember as a kid one year for Easter my mom, myself and two sisters (just two at that time) all got matching dresses.  They were basically white with spring flowers on them, fitted tops and gathered skirts, with a row of larger flowers round the hem line.  Sooooo many years ago.

Well, lots going on with my Squares! Instead of responding to each, here's a big group :ghug !

After not sleeping good for two nites, I finally slept last nite. But feel hung over today! Kiddles is still in bed, which never happens! We took a big walk yesterday so might have done the trick!

Gotta go! Have a great day!

kuddles

Glad you finally got some sleep. Every so often I have a night that I just can't fall asleep and it takes me many days to recover from it.  Wishing you and Kiddles a good day

good morning,the sun is shining

the dreaded ID photo for military card looms at 1:30 today,those can bejust  as horrific as DMV photos,lol

well they called and said their system is down,so they set it for tomorrow same time,hopefully it will be up and running,ID card expires Monday

:clap for sunshine.  Hope your morning was good.  Sorry your outing for the photo was postponed.  I don't know what they do to make those photos look so bad, it's like omg do I really look like that!

Owlvamp, sorry to hear of sisters medical issues, hope it gets taken care of for her soon.

Cshort, yep, same here, nothing much new either, I would love to see pics of the easter outfits you made though, if you would pwetty pwease!! lol

Hi kuddles, where do you walk, where you feel it is safe, cause here, it seems crime takes no preferences over parking lots, walmarts, parks, and public places...

PIneknot, pics are pics, that just look horrible, cause we aren't used to looiking at ourselves that much, lol but to others, they do look just fine!

Oh, finished that dang apron, sheesh, that was a tough one, the cross stitches were so tiny............but it turned out really cute, just don't look too closely at the pic im posting, I haven't laundered it yet, but did press out the embroidery part, so I could take a pic, lol, and oh, this one wasn't color marked, so I had to follow thier pic, and changed some things, he he, as always...Take a look, you think along with some new cupcakie tins, two ove gloves, a  couple bottles of sprinkles, and some cake flour, do you think that would make a nice little apartment warming giftee???? Tha'ts my plans anyway, ha ha!!  Thread for pic of apron is here

Thanks all, it was a nice diversion for me, from the hook, but I am ready to get back to 4 ply, and a crochet hook for a bit now, lol

That apron is so cute.  Did you happen to say where you found it?  It looks like a good weight for an apron. Several years ago I purchased snowman aprons off the bolt to be sewed together.  They were good weight.  I haven't found anymore since then and if I do they seem too light.  I too love my ove gloves.  It sounds like you are putting together an awsome apartment warming giftee.

Howdy all!

Cindy, hope that all works out for you!

Katy, we walk in our neighborhood! Our condo complex is pretty self contained but not a long enough walk. When nice, we drive about 6 blocks to the community college that has a mile and a half walking track around it and walk there. There are usually others walking. We never walk in the dark however! Never!

kuddles

Bgs, i believe i picked it up at Hobby Lobby, the apron to embroider, it only come with the apron, no threads or needles or such, that was in the old days, they came with everything you needed to complete it, AND they colored the cross stitches to tell you what color to put where, or am I just a baby, but i prefer them colored!! oH, just thought I saw some cute kitchen towels to crochet, I may go and get them and add them to the package as well,she probably won't use them, she'll think them too good to use, like I do, lol. But it's the thought that counts!!!!!!!

Bgs, i believe i picked it up at Hobby Lobby, the apron to embroider, it only come with the apron, no threads or needles or such, that was in the old days, they came with everything you needed to complete it, AND they colored the cross stitches to tell you what color to put where, or am I just a baby, but i prefer them colored!! oH, just thought I saw some cute kitchen towels to crochet, I may go and get them and add them to the package as well,she probably won't use them, she'll think them too good to use, like I do, lol. But it's the thought that counts!!!!!!!

I always liked having a color photo of the finished project to give me some idea of what it could look like rather than relying on my poor brain to figure  it out. I could look at it and then swap out colors if I wanted to.  Anymore I am glad when a project comes stamped with the cross stitches  as I have inadvertantly picked up a few counted cross stitch projects.  I think I have seen cupcake dishcloths and hotpads out there that would be  cute.

Hello again everyone,

Katie, I will post pics as soon as I take them. I was hoping to do the final pressing and take pics today but I am really tired. I haven't slept good for a couple of nights and things at work were a little crazy today. I saw your apron, it's super cute.

Cindy, glad things are working out.

I'm going to try to do some crocheting, if I can stay awake.

Have a good night.

Hey everybodeeee! Things have been busy here while I've been busy elsewhere!

I've actually been getting some crocheting done - went to use up some yarn on an afghan for us. I had to buy two skeins of bulky yarn (Homespun Thick & Quick) to finish a baby blanket for a gift, and used something like a yard of each skein. So I decided to just make big squares with the leftovers for an afghan for us here... but of course I needed more. I'm almost done with the squares in my head! I think just one more skein will do it. I hope. *fingers crossed*

Yarn monkey, your ghan looks beautiful so far! I can't wait to see how the new additions will look. I'm going to see if I can find the tentative layout picture I did of mine now....

I can't even think straight right now. Little guy's getting us up every night, and DH hurt his ankle to the point where he couldn't drive this week. Carpooling means a lot more work for me, and no gym time. :( Since I also have to take the dog out when she needs to go out - it's her fault he got hurt in the first place and trying to walk her would be way too much strain on it!

But we've got some visiting coming up which will be nice... and of course it always feels good to actually be crocheting!

Good night all!

I hope the stint process goes well for your sister! Thank goodness they caught the problem in time before it became something major!! I'm sure she'll understand that you can't be there and she'll really appreciate the time and thought you put into a quilt of her.  :hug

Not shaping up to be a great day today.

Hubs and I have upset bellies.

Y has Stanford testing today and tomorrow (and into next week I think; there was a kerfuffle with the test and they started late)

C isn't feeling well either. She slept in until 9:30! She's usually up by 7:00-7:30. She is now lounging on the couch with a fleece blanket, some water and a snack. No fever. Her temp is 95.9! I took it twice to be sure. She is sweaty but says she's chilly. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Thank goodness neither hubs nor I have anything scheduled for today.

As for the shipyard saga, Hubs contacted the HR lady that is handling his reinstatement to see whats up. She said they have everything they need, he just needs to clear his physical and then they can give him a start date. His physical is scheduled for May 12th (I'm due May 17th) and its in VA. Hubs is calling around trying to find a local (or semi-local) military/VA clinic that is willing to do the physical and then will contact the shipyard clinic to see if they'll fax the physical standards to said clinic. The sooner he can get it done, the sooner he can start. It would also save us the frustration and money of him having to drive all the way to VA and back while leaving me home with a newb or expecting a newb at any moment. If May 12th in VA is the only way to do it, then the HR lady is predicting a start date of about June 15th.

Hope you're all feeling better!!!  :hug

The apron is beautiful!  :manyheart  I have a whole cupcake theme trying to happen in my kitchen... It's slow going, but I love it! I do have yarn ball salt and pepper shakers that I got from Cracker Barrel. They don't fit my theme, but I had to have them at only 99 cents each!!  :yes

Hey everybodeeee! Things have been busy here while I've been busy elsewhere!

I've actually been getting some crocheting done - went to use up some yarn on an afghan for us. I had to buy two skeins of bulky yarn (Homespun Thick & Quick) to finish a baby blanket for a gift, and used something like a yard of each skein. So I decided to just make big squares with the leftovers for an afghan for us here... but of course I needed more. I'm almost done with the squares in my head! I think just one more skein will do it. I hope. *fingers crossed*

Yarn monkey, your ghan looks beautiful so far! I can't wait to see how the new additions will look. I'm going to see if I can find the tentative layout picture I did of mine now....

I can't even think straight right now. Little guy's getting us up every night, and DH hurt his ankle to the point where he couldn't drive this week. Carpooling means a lot more work for me, and no gym time. :( Since I also have to take the dog out when she needs to go out - it's her fault he got hurt in the first place and trying to walk her would be way too much strain on it!

But we've got some visiting coming up which will be nice... and of course it always feels good to actually be crocheting!

:ty  I've just been putting them together as they come in to keep it totally random! I hope DH's ankle heals soon so you can get back to your own things!

I finished another baby blanket for Peanut today. I may be going a little overboard but my sister said she can always use blankets, so I'll keep going! I'll take pictures tomorrow when I have decent light in my house. Now i'm working on a Huggy Bunny for him. I've only got the body and half the head done, but it's already bigger than he is!  :lol It'll be great for snuggling once he gets a little bigger because the yarn is so soft!!!  :manyheart Although I guess because it's so thick and soft, it makes it really hard to work with! My hooking hand is getting a work out!! :hook It's so soft and squishy though, I kind of want to make one for myself! Lol

Hope everyone is having a wonderful night!

Does anyone have that one resource for square patterns that just won't work up to gauge no matter how hard you try???  :bang

I'm working on squares for   :nahnah  (someone) and found these lovely 6" squares. I'm using RHSS and a G hook (it's the tightest I have EVER crocheted) and I'm still about 3 or 4 rounds from done and already at 6". I mean, there's no way to get them smaller! So this particular person isn't getting a 6" square, she's getting a 9!  :yes Oh well! It's just too beautiful to frog and start over. But every single one of the patterns from this website do this to me!! They need to have some 3" or 4" squares so I can start getting 6" out of them!  :lol

Archived