Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Good Morning! And Happy Friday, it really is Friday today.

I enjoyed an evening of dinner out with my daughter and grandkids, son-in-law had to work. And then played with the grandkids until they needed to go to bed, they didn't go to sleep for over an hour after they went to bed since they were waiting for me to go to bed. They share a bedroom and the little guy sleeps on a small mattress on the floor so I can sleep in his big bed and they claimed they couldn't go to sleep without me.

II stayed up a little later then usual last night, thinking I could sleep in today, I slept about an extra hour. Everyone else is sleeping, except for one of the cats, so I am sitting in the semi dark playing on my laptop, I don't want to wake everyone. We had planned to go to the beach today but the weather hasn't been the best for a couple of days so we'll see what it looks like today. If not the beach DD said we will find something else to do for the day.

Katie, the baby afghans are all very pretty.

Guess thats about it for now. Have a fantastic Friday everyone!

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning!

Hi cshort! Have they got up yet? I sneak out to the computer in the night when I can't sleep and pray I don't wake Kiddles!

Today we leave for the visit with my family so won't 'see' you again till Sunday!

Have a good few days!

kuddles

Katy, I like the baby afghans.  I have never done a round ripple.  I have a lot to do today but keep getting side tracked (like checking in here).  We are having a nice warm sunny day with very little wind so I carried some of my trees and plants outside to soak up some sunshine.  They need to look good so I can take them to our bonsai exhibit at Powell Gardens Mother's day weekend.  So far there haven't been any good days to set them out between the cold and the strong wind. 

Have a fun weekend Kuddles, and kiddles!!

ws reading the neighborhood newsletter, another missing dog, why oh why don't people  secure pets, either in the yard, or on a leash when walking, sheesh, hope Finnigan gets home soon!!

ok well, had lunch with daugter today, she just got over a "chest flamation"
 but was enough to send her in to the emg. last week, so nothing to sneeze at, she is better now, no more chest pains, and she can breath, the reason she went in, she though at her young 28 years she was having a heart thing, so glad she went in, and it turned out not a heart issue...Other than that, nothing new here, mild lovely weather, although we do have a bit of haze, in the air, from the fires burning in Oklahoma....anyone here from Ok????

That's all i got for now, thanks for taking a look at the baby ghans, like potatoe chips, can't make just one!!!!!!!!!

Aww...C has an ear infection. Its her first one, I believe. Its been weird because the last couple of days, C has been crying about flies crawling in her ears. I finally realized yesterday that there might be something wrong, not just here being a weird 3 yo, so I called the doc. Last night, she was more descriptive of what the problem and said there was growling in her ears, and tickling and pain in her right ear. Sure enough, she has an infection.

I'm tired. I was with an older student today and I didn't realize that recess and lunch duty could be so exhausting!

Katy--nice job on the baby ghans. I've never made a round ripple before. They look easy and fun. Maybe I'll give one a try some day.

The girls were very excited to see the surprise I had on the couch for them. Hubby is home!

That is fantastic news!

Katie, glad your daughter is feeling better.

Cindy, ear infections can be so uncomfortable. Hope your little one is feeling better.

My daughter and son-in-law were up and out early to go sell a bunch of stuff at a flea market/garage sale somewhere in town, they had a lot of stuff they cleaned out while unpacking at their new place. I slept until almost 7 and the grandkids were up a few minutes later. They've had breakfast and are playing, so I am enjoying my coffee and a little computer time. We are going to make Bunny Bait and color Easter eggs today. After all the fuss and complaining from my other daughter and her husband about not having Easter at my house, they decided to come join us tomorrow. My grandson just dressed himself and is very excited that he got his shirt on the right way, they are too much fun. 

I'm off to see what else is happening around the 'Ville. Talk to you all later. Have a great day.

Hey guys I know i Have been pretty few and far between but been a busy  busy time for me. I am offically a licensed Zumba instructor. Been working on my Choreography for my first class.  :clap  :woo   Monday I get the Key to my Apartment and I get to MOVE!!!!!!! I love the lady we are staying with and she hates to see me leave And part of me hates to go too but part of me will love to be in my own place, My own bed, my own livingroom. 

Tuesday One of my clients will be sent to the Nursing home. I have cared for this woman for 3 years so it will be a very hard day. Plus I have no clue what work is gonna do about my hours.

Sunday the 27th My Brother and his family will be coming in from Germany for a visit. I will be picking them up at the airport in Indy and they will be with us untill the 9th. 

So it will be very busy for me the next few weeks. After that i dont know how long it will be before i can get internet hooked up. I will have to see what finances allow.

So with that said I love you all. I hope you have a Wonderful Easter and each and everyone of you are truely Blessed. I will be back first chance I get

Hi All!  Having anic weekend.  Will get to see my sons and their families tomorrow, so it will be a wonderful Easter!  I hope you all have a good Easter too.

Love what you've done!!  :manyheart  I need to learn to sew! I brought my mom's sewing machine home when we moved everything out of her house. It's the old type that you flip up out of the table and I think it's the dark metal/iron/whatever. I have NO IDEA how to use it!!  :think My grandmother has a similar one so hopefully I can talk my uncle into bringing her down one weekend to teach me. I pay in food, so who can argue with that? She's only been to Olive Garden once (last fall) and she loves it so maybe I'll take her there for teaching me. 

Oh too much caffeine is a terrible thing! It's a fine line to walk, but when you manage it, it can be beautiful!  Glad you didn't have much of a headache today. And darn hubbys always  :blah    

DH and I are headed to Busch Gardens Williamsburg tomorrow with basically SIL (she's DH's best friend since birth's sister... so SIL since we call the best friend brother) and her son. First time we've been in probably 2 years and we've been paying for passes this whole time! Even if we just got and walk around and get a funnel cake (yum!!), I think it's worth it for the money we pay every month. Definitely can't wait! 

I've always wanted to visit Busch Gardens.  It sounds like fun.

I so love funnel cake, eat a piece for me por fa vour!!!!!!

My sewing machine always gives me problems with the tension, the bobbin it seems, leaves great big loops on the wrong side, I know that is not right!! Anybody??? ha ha

also, ann, good to know, about the migraines, I don't get um often, but i do drink coke,,,,,,lol

those outfits, are to die for, y ou are a master seamstress ms. carol! I love the white smocked top and skirt, and well, all of it, sooo cute, and professional too!!

Silly question yarn monkey, but is busch gardens where they keep those large white horses???? what exactly is there anyways??

wow i googled slumgullian, and it really is a word, and a food, I thought maybe I remembered it wrong, but nope, it's spelled that way, and it means sort of a stew, lots of recipies out there too, like i said, you can have it any way you like it, lol

on another food note, until i was an adult, and married, I never knew french toast any other way, but with sugar and cinamon on it, i was shocked when i saw someone put SYRUP and butter on it, lol....daughter and I both to this day, eat it the way my gramma, my mom, and me always made it!!  with sugar, and cinamon!!!!!!!!!

Ok,who'd I miss,alls is quiet tonight I guess, so I will say good night for now and have yourself a merry little monday tomorrow!! One more question, didn't we used to have a spell check on here somewhere???? can't find it.......anyone???

Ooohhh, yummy french toast!  I grew up having butter/margarine and lots of syrup on it.  Powdered sugar on top was a special treat, lol.  I just finished making some French Toast Muffins for tomorrow.  We decided to have a brunch and these are easy to make and I thought the kids might like them.  

katyallen--I cook my french toast with cinnamon and eat it buttered with syrup. We used to also sprinkle powdered sugar on it as kids but thats just too much sweetness for me now. And hooray for me that gluten-free bread is good for french toast! (and regular toast, though its lousy for sandwiches).

Going gluten free stopped most of my migraines. The only ones I still get seem to be related to my menstrual cycle. Going gluten free was the best thing I've ever done for myself! It also stopped my vertigo, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and debilitating joint pain. I also lost 10 lbs. I should also have better bone density later in life because wheat is full of anti-nutrients that block the absorption of nutrients including calcium. Some doctors are starting to recommend that women over the age of 40 stop eating wheat for this reason. Wheat really is bad, what with its gluten (an inflammatory), toxins, and anti-nutrients. As for gluten, it is found in wheat, barley (including malt), and rye (oats are considered unsafe too due to the fact that they are often contaminated by wheat). If you decide to give gluten free a try, go completely cold turkey for 30 days, then reintroduce it in a small amount to see how you feel. If you feel no ill affects from the reintroduction, then go ahead and continue to consume it. If you do experience bad symptoms (hubs gets migraines from gluten, I get all the above-mentioned symptoms), then keep it out of your diet and you won't regret it!

Well, truth is, I don't get to eat much of anything.  I have severe gastroparesis, and I have a feeding tube. I nibble on salt free pretzles, some crackers, and some kids cereal, but it's what I find that will stay down which isn't much.  I have tried gluten free and it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I've lost 100 lbs, but it's not a diet I'd recommend, lol. I'd give any thing for a salad or a piece of fruit.

I put cinnamon in my batter for the french toast and then butter the daylights out of it and pour syrup allllll over it! Seriously, I may be related to Paul Deen when it comes to butter! 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is where they keep the Clydesdales! Those things are huge!!! Horses kind of scare me a little bit because I didn't grow up with them or anything and really they're just SO BIG!! But they are beautiful! They also have roller coasters and rides and food and the whole park is set up into different "countries". They have Italy and Germany and several other European countries. Each area has food of that country and the rides are somehow named after things in the country. They also do shows and huge fireworks shows during the summer. There's another Busch Gardens in Tampa FL and that one is safari themed. That one is weird because it's basically in the middle of the city and once you go through the gates, you'd have no idea! I don't ride many of the roller coasters because I tend to get a little lightheaded on the big drops and it really just freaks me out, but some of the more tame ones I like. And the games are always fun... Last time we went, DH won me a huge stuffed dog... And I mean HUGE. My poor sister had to ride in the back seat with it for an hour to get home. 

These aren't the best pictures because it was so dark and an older cell phone, but they're funny anyway... 

In the parking lot before we headed home... 

attachicon.gifIMAG0316.jpg

Poor sister could hardly breathe and may possibly be a little claustrophobic... 

attachicon.gifIMAG0323.jpg

And once we finally got Marmaduke into the house (with the other dog DH won me the same day... fortunately that one fit in the trunk)

attachicon.gifIMAG0325.jpg

DH is under strict rules not to even attempt winning massive animals EVER AGAIN. 

Wow, big doggies, lol.

I've been in hiding this week. Hubby had neck surgery on Tuesday and since then, my time has been eaten up with driving the hour each way to the hospital and now to the rehab facility. He's doing well, just not good enough to be on his own yet. Today I took the girls up to see him, which was good. I did have lots of time for crocheting and should be able to get a few packages out by the weekend.

Glad to hear that hubby is doing well.

Hi I'm new to this site but this group seems like so much fun! I want in on the fun too! Please!!!

Nik

Welcome!!!

So, if all goes well with Wayne's doctors tomorrow, he should be coming home Friday! Hooray!

Woot!

Hello everyone! I was going to say happy Friday but I was afraid I would confuse too many people  , it's like my Friday since there is no school tomorrow. 

That is great news.

Skoggy and AngelRoseLite it's good to hear from you.

I am having an egg hunt for my class today and then we will be making Bunny Bait. I know at least one of my students is going to Take Your Child to Work Day with his father, I'm not sure if any others are going. Our school district is a week early for the child to work day because we will be in the midst of district wide testing next week when the national day is held. Then after school I will be on the highway to my DDs.

Have a great day!

ok, I have to ask, what is bunny bait? 

Hey guys I know i Have been pretty few and far between but been a busy  busy time for me. I am offically a licensed Zumba instructor. Been working on my Choreography for my first class.      Monday I get the Key to my Apartment and I get to MOVE!!!!!!! I love the lady we are staying with and she hates to see me leave And part of me hates to go too but part of me will love to be in my own place, My own bed, my own livingroom. 

Tuesday One of my clients will be sent to the Nursing home. I have cared for this woman for 3 years so it will be a very hard day. Plus I have no clue what work is gonna do about my hours.

Sunday the 27th My Brother and his family will be coming in from Germany for a visit. I will be picking them up at the airport in Indy and they will be with us untill the 9th. 

So it will be very busy for me the next few weeks. After that i dont know how long it will be before i can get internet hooked up. I will have to see what finances allow.

So with that said I love you all. I hope you have a Wonderful Easter and each and everyone of you are truely Blessed. I will be back first chance I get

Congrats!!!! Boy you've been busy!  Enjoy your new apartment and your visit from your brother.

Bunny Bait is a fun snack mix. I made it with my class on Thursday and today I made it with my grandkids.

Here is the link to site where I found it and the recipe.

http://www.lifeinthegreenhouse.com/2012/04/bunny-bait-whenever-bait.html

2 cups pretzels

1 bag popped white popcorn 

1 package Almond Bark white melting chocolate

1 bag of festive M&M’s

2 cups of Chex cereal

1 container of sprinkles

Spread pretzels, popcorn and Chex on an foil covered bakinig sheet and drizzle white chocolate over the mixture. Gently stir to coat evenly. Add sprinkles but don’t stir it anymore or the sprinkles will be coated with chocolate and turn white. Let harden on cookie sheets and then break apart and add M&M’s to the finished mixture. The ideasicon1.png for packaging are endless, cute bags to give away as favors or just put it in a big bowl and it will be a hit at any party.

Lots of chatter, lots of stuff going on for everyone!! So a lot are getting ready for big get togethers tomorrow, and some are busy doing fun things, so much to do, so little time, eh. lol

Quiet day for me, watched a couple easter related movies on tv, while i sorted some squares,and addressed a few puffy's for may pic your queen(s) day, and yada yada yada,you know.

Went out to the dollar store, for a couple of things, and then back and found my roll of stuff I ordered for my embroidery, (fusible covering for the back) and haven't done that yet to the apron ,but will soon...Nothing much else, like I said, a quiet day, but i need that now and then, lol

Hope everyone has a nice Easter, and Ill talk to you later, have fun!

Good Afternoon/Evening

Thank you, katyallen8090, for the lovely squares!

I plan on sending squares but first I have to finish piecing together a baby blanket...my sister-in-law is having the first girl of the family since 1988! Everyone's super excited. She's not due until mid July but it's already been in the high 80s here so I wanna hurry up and get this blanket off my lap lol.

Good Afternoon/Evening

Thank you, katyallen8090, for the lovely squares!

I plan on sending squares but first I have to finish piecing together a baby blanket...my sister-in-law is having the first girl of the family since 1988! Everyone's super excited. She's not due until mid July but it's already been in the high 80s here so I wanna hurry up and get this blanket off my lap lol.

Hooray for lovely squares!

I saw that you said its been in the high 80's where you live and I was like "where does she live? SoCal?" Yup! Good ol' Hemet! I grew up in Moreno Valley. People don't believe me when I say that summer starts in April there.

Hooray for lovely squares!

I saw that you said its been in the high 80's where you live and I was like "where does she live? SoCal?" Yup! Good ol' Hemet! I grew up in Moreno Valley. People don't believe me when I say that summer starts in April there.

Yup! We've been playing in the kiddie pool almost everyday this week...no AC in our house so it's the best way to stay cool! I grew up here, moved to San Diego, but had to move back because we were struggling financially :(

ok, for some eye candy, check out the baby afghans I just posted  HERE  on appro. thread.

Love them! I think round ripples are really fun to make! 

The girls were very excited to see the surprise I had on the couch for them. Hubby is home!

What a fantastic surprise! I'm so glad he's home where he can really heal and that he's with his girl!  :yay

Have a fun weekend Kuddles, and kiddles!!

ws reading the neighborhood newsletter, another missing dog, why oh why don't people  secure pets, either in the yard, or on a leash when walking, sheesh, hope Finnigan gets home soon!!

ok well, had lunch with daugter today, she just got over a "chest flamation"

but was enough to send her in to the emg. last week, so nothing to sneeze at, she is better now, no more chest pains, and she can breath, the reason she went in, she though at her young 28 years she was having a heart thing, so glad she went in, and it turned out not a heart issue...Other than that, nothing new here, mild lovely weather, although we do have a bit of haze, in the air, from the fires burning in Oklahoma....anyone here from Ok????

That's all i got for now, thanks for taking a look at the baby ghans, like potatoe chips, can't make just one!!!!!!!!!

So glad your daughter is okay and it was just inflamation! I know she's young, but it could've been so much worse. Better safe than sorry and I'm glad she went to the emergency room instead of risking it!  :hug

Aww...C has an ear infection. Its her first one, I believe. Its been weird because the last couple of days, C has been crying about flies crawling in her ears. I finally realized yesterday that there might be something wrong, not just here being a weird 3 yo, so I called the doc. Last night, she was more descriptive of what the problem and said there was growling in her ears, and tickling and pain in her right ear. Sure enough, she has an infection.

I'm tired. I was with an older student today and I didn't realize that recess and lunch duty could be so exhausting!

Katy--nice job on the baby ghans. I've never made a round ripple before. They look easy and fun. Maybe I'll give one a try some day.

Poor C! Those ear infections are miserable!! I never thought about it, but flies in your ears is a really good way to put it! I hope she starts feeling better soon and those flies make their way out ASAP!  :yes

Hey guys I know i Have been pretty few and far between but been a busy  busy time for me. I am offically a licensed Zumba instructor. Been working on my Choreography for my first class.    Monday I get the Key to my Apartment and I get to MOVE!!!!!!! I love the lady we are staying with and she hates to see me leave And part of me hates to go too but part of me will love to be in my own place, My own bed, my own livingroom. 

Congrats!!!  :yay  :hug That is all amazing news!!! I'm really interested in the Zumba thing... how did you get started on it? I got it for the Wii and I love it, I just feel like I'm really too uncoordinated for it! Even if you PM me, I'd love to know more! Your own place will be so nice. I'm so happy for you!!

Hi All!  Having anic weekend.  Will get to see my sons and their families tomorrow, so it will be a wonderful Easter!  I hope you all have a good Easter too.

I've always wanted to visit Busch Gardens.  It sounds like fun.

Ooohhh, yummy french toast!  I grew up having butter/margarine and lots of syrup on it.  Powdered sugar on top was a special treat, lol.  I just finished making some French Toast Muffins for tomorrow.  We decided to have a brunch and these are easy to make and I thought the kids might like them.  

Well, truth is, I don't get to eat much of anything.  I have severe gastroparesis, and I have a feeding tube. I nibble on salt free pretzles, some crackers, and some kids cereal, but it's what I find that will stay down which isn't much.  I have tried gluten free and it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I've lost 100 lbs, but it's not a diet I'd recommend, lol. I'd give any thing for a salad or a piece of fruit.

Wow, big doggies, lol.

Glad to hear that hubby is doing well.

Welcome!!!

Woot!

Congrats!!!! Boy you've been busy!  Enjoy your new apartment and your visit from your brother.

Busch Gardens is so worth the trip! Williamsburg in general is just wonderful, in my opinion! The historic area is great and there's museums and beach activities and great shopping not that far away. I think everyone should go at least once! You learn so much!

I got some really fantastic squares in the mail from bgs yesterday!!  :manyheart  I'll be working tonight to add them to my ghan. I like to do it when they come in to make it really random. That and I'd really just overthink it when I went to lay it out if I waited!  :lol In addition to the squares, I got a lovely kitchen towel and topper from her. I absolutely love it all!  :ty  :ty  BGS!!!!!  :hug

post-11765-0-69868400-1397963592_thumb.jpg

Just popping in real quick to wish everyone a Happy Easter!!!!!  Don't know if I'll get a chance later since the kids are coming out early and I'll probably be pooped by the time they leave, lol!  Have a wonderful day everyone!

Oh, cshort, thanks for the recipe and explaning the bunny bait! LOL!  It sounds wonderful.  I'll pass it on to my DIL also.  She's a first grade teacher and is always looking for fun things for the kids.

yarn_monkey, Woot!great squares you got there!!!  Unfortunately the ones I made you are still sitting on my kitchen counter.  Hopefully they'll make it to the PO in Tues.  (they're closed monday due to the holiday).

Ok, I'm heading to bed (again).  Hopefully I'll be able to sleep this time!   Don't eat too many jelly beans!!!  :rabbit

Katie

Go to Zumba.com and you can find a class near you or you can see where they are having training if you want to become an instructor. It is a blast and I am not all that coordinated either lol

HAPPY EASTER and BLESSED RESURRECTION DAY

wow that Bgs, she sure spoils us all, and only our gratitude and thanks in return.....I hope we all remember those sender outers come May with a nice thank you card.......(m list can be found on first post, under angel list)

I remember my daughter saying when she was very young, not flies in her ears, but buggies in her shoes, when her foot fell asleep!! lol they know what they know, they just don't know how to splain it lucy!!!!!

I think I have decided, with you alls help, we will finish up the list for the biggest square of the month asap, having double queens in the next couple of months, and then we will begin the Birthday Queen in august!!! I will ask for your birth months only, SO  if you want to participateplease pm me you birth month only, no other date needed for this !! MOre on that, closer to august, for now we still have a reigning queen to attend to, and possibly two queens next month, so we are going to be busy!! I know we can do it though, we are woman! 

With that said, can't believe spring is here, and the weather is good, all is right with mama nature for the time being, everyone have a good holiday, and Ill see you later!! Caught a bunny, with grannyannies bunny bait,lol

Happy Easter! I hope you are all having a wonderful day.

The girls were all dolled up for church and even I managed to wear a skirt (hooray, maternity skirts!). We went to Red Robin's afterward, with my mother, to celebrate my birthday (which is tomorrow). My mother and I both have to work tomorrow, so it was a perfect opportunity. It was such a treat to have a real burger! They have gluten-free buns there **drool**. Baby liked it all too. Lots of movement!

I remember my daughter saying when she was very young, not flies in her ears, but buggies in her shoes, when her foot fell asleep!! lol they know what they know, they just don't know how to splain it lucy!!!!!

I think I have decided, with you alls help, we will finish up the list for the biggest square of the month asap, having double queens in the next couple of months, and then we will begin the Birthday Queen in august!!! I will ask for your birth months only, SO  if you want to participateplease pm me you birth month only, no other date needed for this !! MOre on that, closer to august, for now we still have a reigning queen to attend to, and possibly two queens next month, so we are going to be busy!! I know we can do it though, we are woman! 

My older daughter used to say her feet were "buzzy". 

How many people do we have left for biggest square of the month? I don't think it would be fair to double up the queens. Some people have limited postage budgets, and limited time, and might not be able to send to more than one person. I feel like they would both get less squares. What if we finish up the biggest squares, and if there are any months left this year, we can do the free-for-alls. Then we can start the birth month thing at the beginning of the year and do a year of that (or more, whatever!)

Hello.

I'm home, very tired and already missing my daughter and grandkids. They will be down here Thursday for my other daughter's graduation and plan to spend the night and Friday with me  :yay .

I saw some very pretty squares on here.

I need to get the queen's squares finished and in the mail.

Have a good night.

Archived