Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not done much crocheting at all this week. We are going to be going on a 5+ hour road trip today & coming back Sunday so I will be taking some yarn with me & working on a pretty easy afghan I guess! (Just composed of HDC!) We are going to celebrate Rosalie's 1st birthday!! I can NOT believe she is my last baby & is already 1 year old.. Pretty bittersweet!! Well, she'll be a year old Monday. 

Good morning,

Yarn_monkey, glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Have you tried doll patterns for little slippers?

Dragnlady, those are very pretty squares.

We are headed to a farm for a tour today and then I will be heading home. I'm going to miss everyone here but have to be back to work on Monday. My other daughter and her hubby will be at my house for dinner tonight. I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks so it will be a nice visit.

Hope it's a good day for everyone.

Hi, ladies! I've been busy working on a baby afghan for my pen pal, Nichole Anne. She is 5 months pregnant, so I still have plenty of time to finish it. It's a yellow, V-stitch afghan and it's made with Lion Brand's "Pounds of Love" yarn. I'm also working on some baby hats for charity. Has anyone used the new Lion Brand "Heartland Thick and Quick" yarn? If so, how is it? See you ladies later! Erica

Oh my lord yes! Yes this! We have too much to do and not enough people to do it with; that was what sparked the week from the devil. About eight thousand fires to put out all at once and things *kept going wrong* so I couldn't deal with the fires. Literally! I mean, not literal fires, the fires were metaphorical. But my ability to deal with them was really shot, and for reasons beyond my control every. Single. Time. Very frustrating.

And unrelatedly, my mom loved the towel and topper you made when she saw it over the weekend! She thought the loop to hold the towel in place was really clever.

Totally understand the metaphorical fires. I worked trying to get lab results out while they were literally remodeling the place with us in it. They would be putting something into the concrete around us and yelling out fire in the hole. The most awful thing that I remember was them getting too close to the fire sprinklers with a torch and setting them off. I think all the water on that floor dumped in there and we had an inch or two of water all through the main part of the lab. I remember running through the water unplugging as much of the equipment as I could and moving what I could to safety. I spent a lot of time helping in the clean up. Another time something blew in the electric grid and the hospital was on backup power for 3 or 4 days. Of course most of our equipment was not on emergency power and yet we were expected to get lab results out. We had to use most of the outlets to keep the reagent refrigerators running and had to alternate running equipment by running extension cords to the emergency outlets that were left. We also ran cords across the hall to outlets in OR/RR. Then there was the Thanksgiving day that the main chem analyzer that I ran 90% of my work on decided to malfunction. Of course being a holiday we were minimally staffed and you could hardly get the work done fast enough on a good day. We didn't have supervisors or technically a designated in charge person because of course they cut the pay for that and invariably the official person in charge of the lab was always off and unavailabe during these disasters. Yep, many a day I felt like I was going to have a stroke before I got out of there.

I can't take the credit for the towel topper idea. My sister said she felt bad throwing away old towels when the top was still good so I started searching patterns and found that some existed. I just adapted what I found to what worked for me, well actually for my sister as she qc's my work.

Hi!

Sorry, I've been gone and that I won't be on long this time. I've been a busy lady! I got a huge assignment for work subbing for one of the elementary school interpreters for this week and next week. Plus, a weekly gig for a special olympics cheer-leading team. I'm going to make over $1300 for this next paycheck. Yes! I'm so tired, but it is worth it. Oh, and one of the kids I worked with this week doesn't usually like interpreters but he told his communication coach that he likes me  :D. Boy did that make my day!

Hubs got his "tentative" job offer for the job in VA. Woohoo! He had to submit his birth cert and driver's license by today and he has 1 week to submit his SF86 (a 127-page long application for a security clearance; its a nightmare!). Once its all submitted, he will be given a start date and the hire will be official. Hooray!

Hugs for busted lips and infections. Too funny about the divorce on April Fools. Nice squares (I did not make that one, I just passed it on). All of the squares I was giving away have been sent on their way (katy and owl, yours went into the mail today). And hello to everyone else. May spring show up soon!

Cindy

what a nice cash flow boost for you,and that the young fellow gave you a good feeling boost also

:clap  :clap getting closer to Va.

Hi AngelRoselite,

nice square,Katy sure makes some really special ones

HI all!! Jessicalli, how are you doing square wise, are you getting enough to finish a ghan?????

Angel, you are welcome, that 12 incher was a deep plum color, hobby lobby's ILTY and sooooo soft to work with!

everyones busy, and working hard, but the work week is over, time for everyone to relax and enjoy the weekend!!!!

I reallyneed to get some things done this weekend, hopefully it will work out that way! Have a good one everyone!! .

Totally understand the metaphorical fires. I worked trying to get lab results out while they were literally remodeling the place with us in it. They would be putting something into the concrete around us and yelling out fire in the hole. The most awful thing that I remember was them getting too close to the fire sprinklers with a torch and setting them off. I think all the water on that floor dumped in there and we had an inch or two of water all through the main part of the lab. I remember running through the water unplugging as much of the equipment as I could and moving what I could to safety. I spent a lot of time helping in the clean up. Another time something blew in the electric grid and the hospital was on backup power for 3 or 4 days. Of course most of our equipment was not on emergency power and yet we were expected to get lab results out. We had to use most of the outlets to keep the reagent refrigerators running and had to alternate running equipment by running extension cords to the emergency outlets that were left. We also ran cords across the hall to outlets in OR/RR. Then there was the Thanksgiving day that the main chem analyzer that I ran 90% of my work on decided to malfunction. Of course being a holiday we were minimally staffed and you could hardly get the work done fast enough on a good day. We didn't have supervisors or technically a designated in charge person because of course they cut the pay for that and invariably the official person in charge of the lab was always off and unavailabe during these disasters. Yep, many a day I felt like I was going to have a stroke before I got out of there.

Ugh! You know, I was once having a conversation with my boss about customer samples coming in with crud in them (we sell heat transfer fluids and sometimes do "check ups" for systems), and he expressed astonishment that companies wouldn't spend a couple thousand dollars in filtration equipment to end up saving themselves tens of thousands in repairs. I said something to the effect that American businessmen tend to look more at the short term profit sheet than long term prevention... while thinking to myself "And HOW many times have you refused to let us buy a maintenance plan on one of the most expensive, finicky pieces of equipment in the lab because it costs too much??"

True story - I flooded two separate labs at my university when I was in grad school - doing the same thing each time. Set up a condenser without clamping the hoses on tightly enough, and then walked away and so didn't realise when a hose came off and water went everywhere... Of course, the day building renovations sent a pressure wave through the system that blew off a hose connected to a faucet that literally no one knew was running, in a lab that had not been entered in months... well, that wasn't my fault. I was happy it wasn't my fault! I was also happy to leave it for building maintenance to clean up, as I was told to after tracking down the source of the leak and getting in and shutting it off. Which I could only do because I had accidentally been assigned a sub-master building key instead of just an office/lab key. I could open a LOT more doors than I was supposed to be able to. That was rambly. But the flooding made me think of Lehigh, and flooding floors, and while I did my share that day was way bigger than anything I'd done - my lab was four rooms down from the one with the faucet running and I had two inches of water on the floor! I went to the mall with a friend to help soothe shattered nerves. :)

Hi!

Sorry, I've been gone and that I won't be on long this time. I've been a busy lady! I got a huge assignment for work subbing for one of the elementary school interpreters for this week and next week. Plus, a weekly gig for a special olympics cheer-leading team. I'm going to make over $1300 for this next paycheck. Yes! I'm so tired, but it is worth it. Oh, and one of the kids I worked with this week doesn't usually like interpreters but he told his communication coach that he likes me  :D. Boy did that make my day!

Hubs got his "tentative" job offer for the job in VA. Woohoo! He had to submit his birth cert and driver's license by today and he has 1 week to submit his SF86 (a 127-page long application for a security clearance; its a nightmare!). Once its all submitted, he will be given a start date and the hire will be official. Hooray!

Hugs for busted lips and infections. Too funny about the divorce on April Fools. Nice squares (I did not make that one, I just passed it on). All of the squares I was giving away have been sent on their way (katy and owl, yours went into the mail today). And hello to everyone else. May spring show up soon!

That's colossal!! Nearly a new official job and a *great* week for you! You must be dead on your feet.  :eek It must be such a relief to know that's coming in, though. What good timing for it!  :hi  :clap  :cheer

Good morning,

Yarn_monkey, glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Have you tried doll patterns for little slippers?

Dragnlady, those are very pretty squares.

We are headed to a farm for a tour today and then I will be heading home. I'm going to miss everyone here but have to be back to work on Monday. My other daughter and her hubby will be at my house for dinner tonight. I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks so it will be a nice visit.

Hope it's a good day for everyone.

Doll pattern! Genius!! That never crossed my mind! I bet some 18" doll patterns would have the perfect size shoes! Off to look for those now. Thanks!!! 

Cindy, my sister is getting a hand-me-down electric pump from a friend of hers who had a baby a while back and no longer needs it! She's over the moon! The manual sort was bad enough but after it quit sealing and suctioning the way it's supposed to, everything has been a nightmare! She won't know what to do with herself with an electric one!  :yay

Well I'm off to get some sleep... It looks like we will ACTUALLY close on my mom's house on Wednesday so I've got a long couple days ahead of me!!  :tired  :night

Good Morning Everyone!

Cindy, Yay!!! for work for you and hubby.

I made it home yesterday at about 3:30 p.m. but my internet was having some kind of issues so I couldn't get on here, it seems to be ok today. Leaving my daughter and grandkids was harder this time, I guess because I was there for a full week. Then daughter #2 and her husband came for dinner and it turned into a debate about why I will not be doing Easter at my house this year and that they can come to daughter #1's home to celebrate with us. Daughter #1's husband has to work 4 services at church on Easter, he is the sound, lighting, computer tech, so they will not be able to come here. So it was not as enjoyable dinner I had hoped it would be and I didn't sleep well afterwards.

Today I need to get all my laundry from my trip caught up and wash the new fabrics I bought while I was away. I'm going to do some sewing too, I want to make a couple of little dresses for a new foster baby that my friends have.

I guess that's enough rambling/complaining for now.

Hope everyone has a great day.

cshort I totally understand. Does daughter #2 have any children? How much further I it for to drive to her sisters compared to your house ? You would think she would want to be with her sister too. Sorry you didn't sleep well last night. Unfortunately we cany please everyone all the time. Someone always has to give us grief. Hope you figure it out.

Good morning!

thankfully today's breakfast ran smoother than yesterdays,since I'm in charge of mil on Saturdays

she was pleasant and if I'm lucky she'll stay that way till 1 pm when he gets home.

More busyness today. We have company coming over this evening and I need to clean up. I've been too tired after work this week to keep the house clean and now there is a mountain of a mess (literally) for me to clean up. Sigh.

Do any of you have any ideas what kind of keepsakes I can make out of crib sheets? I want to make each of my girls a keepsake from one of their crib sheets (Y's is Care Bears and C's is Strawberry Shortcake). It would need to be something on the easier side since I'm minimally skilled with a sewing machine. Heck, I'd even consider hand-sewing it.

Doll pattern! Genius!! That never crossed my mind! I bet some 18" doll patterns would have the perfect size shoes! Off to look for those now. Thanks!!! 

Cindy, my sister is getting a hand-me-down electric pump from a friend of hers who had a baby a while back and no longer needs it! She's over the moon! The manual sort was bad enough but after it quit sealing and suctioning the way it's supposed to, everything has been a nightmare! She won't know what to do with herself with an electric one!  :yay

Well I'm off to get some sleep... It looks like we will ACTUALLY close on my mom's house on Wednesday so I've got a long couple days ahead of me!!  :tired  :night

Hooray for an electric pump! How are mommy and baby doing?

Good Morning Everyone!

Cindy, Yay!!! for work for you and hubby.

I made it home yesterday at about 3:30 p.m. but my internet was having some kind of issues so I couldn't get on here, it seems to be ok today. Leaving my daughter and grandkids was harder this time, I guess because I was there for a full week. Then daughter #2 and her husband came for dinner and it turned into a debate about why I will not be doing Easter at my house this year and that they can come to daughter #1's home to celebrate with us. Daughter #1's husband has to work 4 services at church on Easter, he is the sound, lighting, computer tech, so they will not be able to come here. So it was not as enjoyable dinner I had hoped it would be and I didn't sleep well afterwards.

Today I need to get all my laundry from my trip caught up and wash the new fabrics I bought while I was away. I'm going to do some sewing too, I want to make a couple of little dresses for a new foster baby that my friends have.

I guess that's enough rambling/complaining for now.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Oh, how I love those kinds of family debates. Not really. Just know that you can't please everyone. This one is all on dd2 and her family, not on you or dd1.

Boo. :( Can you shove it into one room so it's out of sight for the duration, maybe? Not the best solution, I know, but sometimes we've just got to do what we can!

Hmm, keepsakes. My first thought was pillowcases - they'd be easy to convert from sheets, and I still have a few pillowcases from my childhood that I could never get rid of. Can't wait to see what ideas other people have... we've got some gooood sew-ers on here, after all...!

cshort I totally understand. Does daughter #2 have any children? How much further I it for to drive to her sisters compared to your house ? You would think she would want to be with her sister too. Sorry you didn't sleep well last night. Unfortunately we cany please everyone all the time. Someone always has to give us grief. Hope you figure it out.

Good morning

DD#2 does not have children and she is about an hour from DD#1. The debate was more with DD#2's husband than with her, he feels that DD#1 and the kids should come to my house with the rest of our family and leave her husband at home since he has to work a good part of the day. I think alot of the problem is that its a change from what we've been doing for several years. Son-in-law#2 thinks its ok for changes to take place in his life but I'm not suppose to change anything, I really do love him but he going to have to accept some changes. Thanks for the support.

thankfully today's breakfast ran smoother than yesterdays,since I'm in charge of mil on Saturdays

she was pleasant and if I'm lucky she'll stay that way till 1 pm when he gets home.

Glad to hear your day started out good, hope the rest of the day is good too.

More busyness today. We have company coming over this evening and I need to clean up. I've been too tired after work this week to keep the house clean and now there is a mountain of a mess (literally) for me to clean up. Sigh.

Do any of you have any ideas what kind of keepsakes I can make out of crib sheets? I want to make each of my girls a keepsake from one of their crib sheets (Y's is Care Bears and C's is Strawberry Shortcake). It would need to be something on the easier side since I'm minimally skilled with a sewing machine. Heck, I'd even consider hand-sewing it.

Hooray for an electric pump! How are mommy and baby doing?

Oh, how I love those kinds of family debates. Not really. Just know that you can't please everyone. This one is all on dd2 and her family, not on you or dd1.

Maybe you could make pillows or stuffed animals with the sheets. Thanks for the support too.

Well then maybe the following year you could have it at d#2 I'd that's what you decide. Maybe it will make them all feel better if it's what you feel is best . I sometimes have the same problem here and it drives me nuts.

Hope all goes well. And calms down for the most part .

Got the house clean, just in time. I skipped the girls' room and my room. Big mistake! Hubs wanted to grill and the patio is through our room. So, his friend followed him out there so they could grill together (that's what they are doing at this moment). Well guess what? I had some *ahem* unmentionables laying about :eek . Oh, and he didn't remember that I'm pregnant and my huge belly didn't clue him in. I'm just fat.      :(  I need chocolate   :(

It's quiet here today. I went to church this morning and made a quick stop at Joanns for a zipper, bias tape and tracing cloth. Now back to the little dresses I'm working on.

Archived