Boxing Day 2012!

dorothysgirls

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Count me in please! I'll be crocheting hats, scarves, hand cozies, squares, etc to support a local homeless ministry and several other wonderful ministry opportunities along the way. So far, I've got 5 hats done and in The Tub.

BTW, the other day I was talking to a local friend about Boxing Day and we decided that for us, BD needs to be October 26. Her church distributes items to the needy at Thanksgiving, and many other local ministries like to have things well before Christmas..So on Oct. 26 we'll get together and have a little Boxing Day party and show off what we've made.

Hey, Count me in please! I'll be crocheting hats, scarves, hand cozies, squares, etc to support a local homeless ministry and several other wonderful ministry opportunities along the way. So far, I've got 5 hats done and in The Tub.

BTW, the other day I was talking to a local friend about Boxing Day and we decided that for us, BD needs to be October 26. Her church distributes items to the needy at Thanksgiving, and many other local ministries like to have things well before Christmas..So on Oct. 26 we'll get together and have a little Boxing Day party and show off what we've made.

:welcome I will go add you!!

Holly love your scarves. You did a great job.

I was working on my 3rd UBW cap yesterday but made a major mistake. I was using two different skeins of the Dress Blue since the pattern calls for 2 strands to be held together. Well since this was/is the 3rd cap made from the same 2 skeins of yarn I was getting near the end of each skein but decided not to try to wind each skein into balls. I just kept using from the skein. Well I put my work up to do something (I think to start supper) and when I came back and got it out of my bag somehow the yarn to be used got tangled into my last stitch. I began to roll each skein into a ball by using the tail end. Each skein collapsed onto itself and now I have one big tangled mess. I though about frogging the cap but there is now a knot in that last stitch and it won't let me frog it. I worked with it some last night - staying up way past my normal bedtime - but did get much done. So this morning I made the decision to throw the whole thing in a bag and forget about it for awhile. Come back to it sometime in the future. I have now started another UBW cap using 2 skeins of RHSS Shaded Dusk. It's another varigated one of blues. Next time when my skein is getting near the end I will wind it into a ball. Either by hand or using my ball winder.

:clap Welcome!!!

Holly love your scarves. You did a great job.

I was working on my 3rd UBW cap yesterday but made a major mistake. I was using two different skeins of the Dress Blue since the pattern calls for 2 strands to be held together. Well since this was/is the 3rd cap made from the same 2 skeins of yarn I was getting near the end of each skein but decided not to try to wind each skein into balls. I just kept using from the skein. Well I put my work up to do something (I think to start supper) and when I came back and got it out of my bag somehow the yarn to be used got tangled into my last stitch. I began to roll each skein into a ball by using the tail end. Each skein collapsed onto itself and now I have one big tangled mess. I though about frogging the cap but there is now a knot in that last stitch and it won't let me frog it. I worked with it some last night - staying up way past my normal bedtime - but did get much done. So this morning I made the decision to throw the whole thing in a bag and forget about it for awhile. Come back to it sometime in the future. I have now started another UBW cap using 2 skeins of RHSS Shaded Dusk. It's another varigated one of blues. Next time when my skein is getting near the end I will wind it into a ball. Either by hand or using my ball winder.

I hate that! :hug

Nice job on the Special Olympic scarves!! I love the one on the right, it looks like lots of V's. My sis was in special olympics in Idaho and I heard this year they had to cancel the games due to not enough snow, that makes me sad. I know how much they look forward to doing that. I hope area teams will somehow make it meaningful for them.

I am slowing working on that pink crisscross baby afghan. It will definitely take less than 2 skeins of Redheart. I then have a few 12"squares I need to work on and get to the respective recipients.

:welcome mamabear10 I hope you enjoy this group as much as I do.

Kathy, if we lived near each other, I'd love to untangle your yarn for you. I find it so relaxing. It's great therapy. My kids call me "the Knot Whisperer." My crochet buddies like to sit at a table with a huge pile of yarn mess in the middle, and work on it together. So if you feel like driving to Hampton, Virginia, I'll be happy to untangle for you! :lol

I went through my pile of WIP's, and found a hat that's almost finished, so I hope to get through it soon. I haven't been crocheting much lately.

:welcome mamabear10 I hope you enjoy this group as much as I do.

Kathy, if we lived near each other, I'd love to untangle your yarn for you. I find it so relaxing. It's great therapy. My kids call me "the Knot Whisperer." My crochet buddies like to sit at a table with a huge pile of yarn mess in the middle, and work on it together. So if you feel like driving to Hampton, Virginia, I'll be happy to untangle for you! :lol

I went through my pile of WIP's, and found a hat that's almost finished, so I hope to get through it soon. I haven't been crocheting much lately.

:ty for your offer but a road trip is not in our future. Usually I will sit and fool with it until I get it untangled. But since I was going somewhere the next day and taking crochet with me I decided to put it away for awhile. I also went with my hubby to his sleep doctor's appointment today so took the new cap I am working on with me. We are going out Friday also so I think I will either try working on it over the weekend or just wait till sometime in the future. But not too long in the future.

Hello busy people! Everyone is doing so well. I can't scroll back to the spiral afghan and scarves to jot down names, but those are both inspiring!

I have been up to the same. Got one cat mat done during football last Sunday..

post-13802-13589772672_thumb.jpg

Denise, you've been a busy lady. I love those fish toys. Nice and colorful.

I have nearly finished a baby sweater and hat for the local pregnancy resource center. just have to sew the side seams on the sweater and weave in ends. Booties to match are next on the list.

Every one is doing so great! I have not had much crochet time lately between work and school. It is kinda depressing actually. I think I am going to finish the rest of the homework I have for the week today and spend tomrrow crocheting. That is the plan anyway..

Don't know if this would count as charity work or not, so I will ask. The other day I started a lapghan to give to a friend's hubby. Her hubby has been in poor health (mainly heart problems) for sometime but has worsen in recent days. The doctors now give him at the most 6 months to live. I am making his lapghan in red, white, and blue as he is a veteran and using the granny rectangle pattern. I am not working on any of my other charity projects right now. Just this afghan.

Ok so "UBW"? I give up, please tell me what that means.

Cindy, do we get to see a picture of the sweater? You know how baby stiff makes everyone ooh and aah.

UBW - ugly but warm. I'll try to find the pattern and link to it, so you can see what it is.

Don't know if this would count as charity work or not, so I will ask. The other day I started a lapghan to give to a friend's hubby. Her hubby has been in poor health (mainly heart problems) for sometime but has worsen in recent days. The doctors now give him at the most 6 months to live. I am making his lapghan in red, white, and blue as he is a veteran and using the granny rectangle pattern. I am not working on any of my other charity projects right now. Just this afghan.

I would consider it a "hospice" blanket. Every one needs a final hug.

Archived