Boxing Day 2012!

dorothysgirls

Hello all! Everyone's items look great! Congratulate on the good grades Dorothy!

I finally sent a bag of items to my Aunt for Africa. Managed to make a couple more things (hats and scarves) before I sent it. What I did not manage was to take a picture.

Lilly

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice article Dorothy. Thanks for sharing. That is something I never in a zillion years would have thought of trying to make!

So last Thursday when I went to my quilt club, I stuffed my bag with fleece and scissors and took off. When I got there I asked if anyone wanted to help me cut fishies for the shelter. I felt like Tom Sawyer. All of the scissors were scooped up and I watched everyone else cut. Then I sewed and stuffed and sewed and made 65 fishies which will be distributed at my shelter's volunteer meeting tomorrow. Here they are in the washer getting ready for a swim:

post-13802-135897730625_thumb.jpg

One of our LYs's made the paper for kintting for charity. It is a good article.

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/dcfb07f6-ae04-5d6c-8946-396b4b47dc6e.html

Great article! I also think it was written very tastefully.

Nice article Dorothy. Thanks for sharing. That is something I never in a zillion years would have thought of trying to make!

So last Thursday when I went to my quilt club, I stuffed my bag with fleece and scissors and took off. When I got there I asked if anyone wanted to help me cut fishies for the shelter. I felt like Tom Sawyer. All of the scissors were scooped up and I watched everyone else cut. Then I sewed and stuffed and sewed and made 65 fishies which will be distributed at my shelter's volunteer meeting tomorrow. Here they are in the washer getting ready for a swim:

[ATTACH]50866[/ATTACH]

Quite the large school of fish you have there. How awesome! The shelter should be thrilled.

Yesterday I needed a transportable project, and my afghan is getting very big, so I took hat-making things. I made 2 hats, which brings me up to 11, so I owe you a picture. I will try to get to that today.

Thank You all for the nice comments about my grades! I am super proud of myself!!! It has been stressful trying to get back into school work after this long of not doing it.

I crocheted a breast prostetic to take to the yarn store today. I am also going to take her the pattern she said she had never seen a crocheted one. So I will show all of you first.

post-19553-135897730653_thumb.jpg

post-19553-135897730662_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]50866[/ATTACH]

The fishies look GREAT! I am sure the kitties will love them.

[ATTACH]50866[/ATTACH]

Wow! That is a lot of fish! How awesome!

I am about to start working on projects for marinecorpskids.blogspot.com. I just found it yesterday and it sounds like good charity. I am also in the process of getting a craft group together with a couple of friends! I can't wait!

I got two more beds done, found two more straggler fish and finished another cat mat. There's only one bed in the picture. The big pile of fish toys were a hit at the shelter meeting, so I cut some more this week. I also FINALLY found some flesh colored yarn at the LSY near my work so I could try a Santa purse pattern I have been wanting to do for awhile.

post-13802-135897731731_thumb.jpg

Nice job on your prosthetic Dorothy!

Thanks for the article Dorothy. It was very interesting. There is a thread here in Crochetville called "Faux Boobs" (sorry don't have the link for it) which has a pattern for crocheting breast prosthetics. I have plans on crocheting my own. I will need to make 2 as I had a double mastectomy. I had priced some of the regular prosthetics and found the prices to be over a $100. But since I am a semi shut-in (mobility impaired due to arthritis in spine) and I am enjoying not wearing a bra I just don't feel like paying that price. Also I have been reading where the regular prosthetics can be hot and sticky at times. It makes me think making my own would be a better deal. Plus the money I save can go to buying yarn. As if I really needed anymore yarn. :rofl

Thanks for the article Dorothy. It was very interesting. There is a thread here in Crochetville called "Faux Boobs" (sorry don't have the link for it) which has a pattern for crocheting breast prosthetics. I have plans on crocheting my own. I will need to make 2 as I had a double mastectomy. I had priced some of the regular prosthetics and found the prices to be over a $100. But since I am a semi shut-in (mobility impaired due to arthritis in spine) and I am enjoying not wearing a bra I just don't feel like paying that price. Also I have been reading where the regular prosthetics can be hot and sticky at times. It makes me think making my own would be a better deal. Plus the money I save can go to buying yarn. As if I really needed anymore yarn. :rofl

I am going to suggest that you use a soft bamboo cotton blend as it will help to wick away moisture. If you weight them down keep i mind that the TSA will not allow you to go on a plane with them in they are concidered a projectile. If you would like me to make you a pair pleas pm me with your favorite colors and the size that you would like and if you want them weighted. I will be more than happy to make them.

I finally took pictures yesterday. Let's see if I can get them to post. I also made one more UBW hat.

Wtg on finishing so many hats.

I finished another scarf for Compassionate Creations today. If I can get my act together I'll have another one finished too(different pattern), but that's kind of iffy. It's slow going here today! :lol

Its beautiful!

I finished another scarf for Compassionate Creations today. If I can get my act together I'll have another one finished too(different pattern), but that's kind of iffy. It's slow going here today! :lol

Very nice scarf.

Beth, what an impressive pile of hats! You have been busy!

Ann, LOVE the blue scarf. Can you tell me where you got the pattern? The stained glass one is also very striking, but the blue one is calling out to me.

Ann, love the scarves. Thanks for the links to the patterns. Everyone has been busy and I am still plugging/crocheting away on my over size lapghan. Actually I am just about done with it as I am on the next to last round. Then it will be just checking my ends. I have crocheted over the ends as I have gone along but some are loose and need to be tightened up.

Hi Ann, thanks for the link. I have never mastered that foundation sc or dc. No matter how many times I watch the darn you tube video, I just can't "see" the stitches properly in my own work. I think I will have to find a person IRL who can show me that one.

Ann, awesome scarves. I really love the blue -- that color is striking. What yarn is that?

It's Red Heart with Love and the color is True Blue! It's the first time I use that yarn and I'm in love with it! It's nice and soft and squishy!

Ann, love the scarves. Thanks for the links to the patterns. Everyone has been busy and I am still plugging/crocheting away on my over size lapghan. Actually I am just about done with it as I am on the next to last round. Then it will be just checking my ends. I have crocheted over the ends as I have gone along but some are loose and need to be tightened up.

You're welcome! WTG on the lapghan! Looking forward to seeing pics!!!

Hi Ann, thanks for the link. I have never mastered that foundation sc or dc. No matter how many times I watch the darn you tube video, I just can't "see" the stitches properly in my own work. I think I will have to find a person IRL who can show me that one.

Actually I struggled with it when I made the baby blanket (but really liked the finished product), but since I couldn't be sitting in front of the computer to help me step by step this time I just did a regular starting ch for the scarf.

Archived