2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I got those scores up when I did Sunday. Not long after that, a transformer blew and the entire facility and a chunk of city around it lost power. After about an hour of sitting around in the dim emergency lights listening to the fire alarms going off and the A/C not coming back on, a campus police officer finally got to us. When the hospital loses power, the medical school library is Very Low on their list of priorities, understandably. He was totally frazzled and barked, "I don't know WHEN it will be on. This library is CLOSED! Lock the doors!" So we herded everyone out - the students never want to leave - their computers have batteries, right? They're fine, right? So, happy dance, I got a free paid day off. YIPPEE!!! But also, there went my computer access.

I'm crocheting madly for the Olympics CAL, but so far, not much is showing as being used up for as much crocheting as I've been doing. I'm at +6, but that will definitely go up by the end of the week as skeins finally start being using up toward the ends of projects.

I'm glad I got those scores up when I did Sunday. Not long after that, a transformer blew and the entire facility and a chunk of city around it lost power. After about an hour of sitting around in the dim emergency lights listening to the fire alarms going off and the A/C not coming back on, a campus police officer finally got to us. When the hospital loses power, the medical school library is Very Low on their list of priorities, understandably. He was totally frazzled and barked, "I don't know WHEN it will be on. This library is CLOSED! Lock the doors!" So we herded everyone out - the students never want to leave - their computers have batteries, right? They're fine, right? So, happy dance, I got a free paid day off. YIPPEE!!! But also, there went my computer access.

I'm crocheting madly for the Olympics CAL, but so far, not much is showing as being used up for as much crocheting as I've been doing. I'm at +6, but that will definitely go up by the end of the week as skeins finally start being using up toward the ends of projects.

:yay:yay:yay Free paid day off work! Awesome! So great about you getting scores in before power went out. Well think of it this way at least you are at +6 and not 0. I'm sure you'll get your scores up, but if you don't it'll be ok. Everything in it's own time. :hug:hug:hug and happy :crocheting

Free shipping got to me again the other day.:eek:shrug But - I ordered a couple of nightgowns and some underwear.:devil:rofl The free shipping was from Woman Within's (formerly known as Lane Bryant) catalog. Got a catalog from Herschenner's yesterday and they are offering free shipping on orders of $35 or more. Boy is it tempting.

Used a full skein on my sweetheart ripple!! Only have a month and a half to finish it up, so I'm trying to get it done!!! Only 1/5 of the way through!

That one was slow going for me. All those single crochets. I kept getting side tracked by other projects. But I'm sure you can get it done in that length of time.

Got so excited about my winnings at the county fair (7 firsts, 5 seconds and a third prize) that I started planning projects for next year, and ordered yarn.

Going to make a scarf and a Christening gown and bonnet with my winnings.

so now I'm in the negatives.

:manyheart

Got so excited about my winnings at the county fair (7 firsts, 5 seconds and a third prize) that I started planning projects for next year, and ordered yarn.

Congratulations. Job well done. You have done a good job representing Crochetville.

:jumpyay Congratulations, Linda! That's so cool! :jumpyay

Thank you for all the nice words, everyone! I'm already planning on what I'm making for next year. I started a notebook full of good things to make. And since the bug (fair bug) is in me, I might as well start on the Christening gown. I'm using a pattern for the yoke, but then designing the skirt myself. I want to make it a really girly looking gown and bonnet. Probably putting little pink buttons on it.

Linda - WAY TO GO!!! Sounds like you were just not in the mood for sharing ribbons :lol

I was so proud of myself - I had made it up to +11 for the week. Then when I went to HL to buy ONE skein I would need for the Olympics CAL, my ship was sunk. They Great August Yarn Clearance has begun. The two tables today were full of yarns I don't use, but there were a few skeins of ILTY out. I bought the four skeins of Seaside ombre. I'm a real sucker for variegated ocean colors. The only other ILTY were two other ombres that, thankfully were not at all appealing. Maybe solids will follow. I have a lot of blues, greys, reds, and orange/rusts, but only 2 skeins of green in the whole collection. I'm hoping some of that shows up. Not because I would need it any time soon - like probably for years - but because I'm a color junky.

So, bottom line, +1. :blush With probably negatives to follow in the coming weeks.

Oh, gosh. I didn't know about the Hobby Lobby Clearance. I'll have to check it out tomorrow!

I don't know if it's something widespread. I just know that our local HL combs through the bins in August and puts out odd dye lots and probably colors they are discontinuing. At least I've seen it here several years. I mostly missed it last year since I don't go in there often and it was pretty much over, but the year before I got well, let's just say lots. I think it was in the neighborhood of 70-80 skeins. It's what jump started my huge stash. They mark them down 40% - a checker told me that was their cost.

That first year a clerk was working on the ILTY while I was there, and I stood in the aisle while she went through the dark turquoise (peacock?) and said pitifully, "Could I have those too?" I had a piled cart. She laughed, tagged them, and handed them over. It was a good day.

I don't know if it's something widespread. I just know that our local HL combs through the bins in August and puts out odd dye lots and probably colors they are discontinuing. At least I've seen it here several years. I mostly missed it last year since I don't go in there often and it was pretty much over, but the year before I got well, let's just say lots. I think it was in the neighborhood of 70-80 skeins. It's what jump started my huge stash. They mark them down 40% - a checker told me that was their cost.

That first year a clerk was working on the ILTY while I was there, and I stood in the aisle while she went through the dark turquoise (peacock?) and said pitifully, "Could I have those too?" I had a piled cart. She laughed, tagged them, and handed them over. It was a good day.

Think they do that here. Last year I got lots of yarn real cheap.:hug:hug

Posting Early today. My daughter left for her senior year at ISU. Where has the time gone?

So here's my score.

WTD=-12 YTD=+43

Wow! That's exciting! And a lot of projects to have done! Congratulations!

I still hope to finish a skein for this week. We got to our lake trailer yesterday and one window AC had broken a fan blade. Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening trying to repair it, going to get a new AC and installing it. Can't do without AC in Mississippi in August!

Company coming this afternoon, so have to do some cooking sometime.

I made my first yarn purchase of the year! I bought 10 skeins at WalMart for a shawl for my church's prayer shawl ministry and afghans for All Shades of Pink.

Anybody else break down and purchase yarn this week? I worked on another shawl and rolled a skein into a ball for a +1.

For week ending Aug. 4, 2012:

WTD: -19 / YTD: +22

Archived