Walmart alert!!!

charkitty

Just read a news article that after 8 quarters of financial loss and shoppers, Walmart is trying to get back on track. The losses are due to Walmart dropping brand products, crafts, fabric, etc. Can't believe it took Walmart 2 years to figure this our; thought they were smarter. Hopefully, these items may be back by end of year.

In my opinion, Walmart has really declined in the last 3-5 years. The clothes situation is awful! Dropping crafts/fabric/yarn was the last straw. Right now, Walmart has really expanded groceries...not needed...I prefer to go to a supermarket (W-M is not that much cheaper!)

Let's just hope our yarn/fabric/crafts return!!!

charkitty

You know what I noticed at my local w-m? First of all, they didn't drop any of the fabrics, and they still have their yarn section and crafts... BUT - their RHSS yarn was marked at $2.23 FOREVER, then it went up to $2.46 for a while. Not too bad - considering the other stores always charged more than that... but then they had it "clearanced" out at $2.23! Now, just how stupid do I look? "Clearanced" out at the price I paid forEVER? Crazy... now, of course, since they "rearranged" the store, they've upped the price again to $2.58. I wonder how long it will be before they "clearance" price it out again? LOL

They did that with cotton yarn for us. 1.47 then 1.77 now 1.47 again. They did away with a lot of fabric departments in stores around this area. We never lost ours but it did downsize. What happened is Walmart wanted to reach a richer clientele kind of like Target. They tried to get trendy, etc. Then the economy fails... now they are needing the old customers back. They were supposed to drop our fabric next time they remodeled. I talked to the fabric lady last week and she said now they are adding to it and bringing all the other stores' fabric back. Yay for that! at least. We have gotten a lot of different yarn in lately so I'm good with it. It's still cheaper than any other around here for yarn.

You know what I noticed at my local w-m? First of all, they didn't drop any of the fabrics, and they still have their yarn section and crafts... BUT - their RHSS yarn was marked at $2.23 FOREVER, then it went up to $2.46 for a while. Not too bad - considering the other stores always charged more than that... but then they had it "clearanced" out at $2.23! Now, just how stupid do I look? "Clearanced" out at the price I paid forEVER? Crazy... now, of course, since they "rearranged" the store, they've upped the price again to $2.58. I wonder how long it will be before they "clearance" price it out again? LOL

I pay $2.84 at Walmart her in PR

They did that with cotton yarn for us. 1.47 then 1.77 now 1.47 again. They did away with a lot of fabric departments in stores around this area. We never lost ours but it did downsize. What happened is Walmart wanted to reach a richer clientele kind of like Target. They tried to get trendy, etc. Then the economy fails... now they are needing the old customers back. They were supposed to drop our fabric next time they remodeled. I talked to the fabric lady last week and she said now they are adding to it and bringing all the other stores' fabric back. Yay for that! at least. We have gotten a lot of different yarn in lately so I'm good with it. It's still cheaper than any other around here for yarn.

Funny, what W-M did to bring in a richer clientele, I viewed as a decline.

W-M completely removed all fabric in the stores I go to. The yarn is very limited and it's been the same yarn for the last 5 yrs.! And the prices have all increased for what looks like used yarn.

Party Land is a huge chunk of the store (which is really crazy with a Dollar Tree next door!); Fruits and veggie are another chunk of store (even more crazy with a ShopRite next door).

I can't imagine what W-M was thinking when they made the drastic changes about 2 yrs. ago. It literally changed what made 'Walmart' Walmart. You used to alway get items cheaper at Walmart. Now that's not true. It used to be worth the gas to go out of your way to go to Walmart.

charkitty

I suppose part of the reason our Wal-mart didn't do away with the craft section is because there aren't any other craft-type or department stores in the area. No Target, no Jo-Ann's, no Michael's, absolutely no Hobby Lobby (closest one I know of is an hour & a half away) and AC Moore isn't even in this state (or Indiana or Ohio that I know of... I've never been to an AC Moore anyway... I know, I'm sheltered - yeah, I just did an internet search for the nearest AC Moore... Erie, PA!! only 5 or 5 and a half hours away!! LOL) So, without any competition, there's no need to "upsize" (if that's what they were doing). Guess I'm lucky? LOL

That's great news...I'm happy to hear they've come to their senses. We have one Wal-Mart here that has next to no yarn selection and one that has a very nice selection. :manyheart

We have one side of an aisle of yarn, and then the other crafty stuff. Except the ONLY fabric we still have is remains from their trade shows :( The kicker is they still sell sewing machines, uhhh, yeah what are we gonna sew?? The only WM that has fabric that I could go to is over an hour away, one way.

I'm glad for those of you who have grocery stores who are as nicely priced as WM is. In my town, WM is the cheapest by about a 30% difference. That's okay though, I think the yarn obsession gives us my hubby's paycheck :D

I so hope they will make changes, go back to what worked, party goods are not my cup of tea, fabrics and yarn are. Ours has one side of yarn the other beads and such. Prices are up, selection is down. I shop very little at Walmart for groceries and never for meat, I prefer my meat fresher and not brought in boxes cut days and days ago.

Fingers crossed they go "Back to the Future".

They still have fabric at my Wal-Mart, but it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find someone to cut it! It's really not that difficult... more so than it used to be because of their new computer system. In one respect I understand, because customers can't just walk up and print out their own tickets for fabric, but please don't make me walk the entire perimeter of the store looking for someone. A lot of times when I want fabric I just buy precut fat quarters or I go to Joann's and pay the extra money.

I used to work at Wal-Mart, several years ago, and my co-manager told me that fabrics and crafts had the highest profit margin of any department in the store. Why bother getting rid of it in the first place? Even if you don't sell much of it, a huge portion is profit! Plus, it doesn't take much manpower, not much to stock compared to other departments... :think

I think that a whole lot of their losses cone from the fact that they short the staff and customers don't have a good shopping experience. If you want to buy something and have no one to help you you will go some place where you get better service.

One walmart in my area. (well my mom's town 45 mins away) is keeping fabric. they do to good on it, so when ineed fabric I just go to hers n get it.. cause all the one's close to me either are doing away or have gotten rid of it :(

The Walmart nearest my house has an okay craft section. They don't have the bolts of fabric like they used to, rather prepackaged cuts of a small selection of prints. Prints that I daresay I could get cheaper at the Hobby Lobby 2 miles in the other direction should I ever desire to sew in a lining to something. :P

Their yarn selection is pretty piddly too. Less than half of one side of an aisle, dedicated mainly to RHSS and some Lion Brand stuff, and limited colors of both, with a couple of hook sizes and a few knitting needles. Their prices are only slightly better than that nearby Hobby Lobby.

Honestly, I am not a fan of Wallyworld. The store employees at my nearest location don't seem to care (then again with how little they are paid I can't really blame them) and their recent rearrangement of things has no rhyme or reason to it.

I was just at our local Walmart the other day, and did a quick walk-through of the craft section. We have a lot of fabric - I'd say more than we ever used to. However, the yarn section is basically gone. I saw a box with small skeins of yarn for a buck each, and about 10 or 12 skeins of RHSSoft and that was IT. Looks like I was wrong about the yarn section still being there - unless they moved it over by automotive or something... which is entirely possible with the new way everything is arranged...

My brother works at Walmart, and he's at management level so his pay is okay, but he's not what I would call a Happy Worker. However, he does his job well and it pays the bills!

They did that with cotton yarn for us. 1.47 then 1.77 now 1.47 again.

just got some from there....it's marked $1.47, but yet the register still rings up $1.77. I didn't notice it until I got home since I purchased some other things and wasn't watching the prices ring up like I normally do. Looks like I'll be making a trip back there later to clear it up!

I suppose part of the reason our Wal-mart didn't do away with the craft section is because there aren't any other craft-type or department stores in the area. No Target, no Jo-Ann's, no Michael's, absolutely no Hobby Lobby (closest one I know of is an hour & a half away) and AC Moore isn't even in this state (or Indiana or Ohio that I know of... I've never been to an AC Moore anyway... I know, I'm sheltered - yeah, I just did an internet search for the nearest AC Moore... Erie, PA!! only 5 or 5 and a half hours away!! LOL) So, without any competition, there's no need to "upsize" (if that's what they were doing). Guess I'm lucky? LOL

LOL! I live in Erie!! Can't wait for Hobby Lobby to move in...which they are doing now, into the old WalMart location! (they built a super store up the street)

But by the time Hobby Lobby is completed, I'll probably be back in Florida, where there aren't many AC Moore's around.

That's okay, I love Hobby Lobby the most and I won't be far from one in Florida.

I was in a Walmart yesterday in Mesa Arizona, and they were in the middle of putting in a new "experimental" fabric department scheduled to open July 11th but in speaking to one of the associates he said they would probably up and running by this weekend. I'm so excited to check it out as they used to have the cutest and best priced fabrics.

That didn't stop 'em here. Everything is an hour or more away and they still (said with disbelief) cut nearly all crafts!. Left a few brands of yarns and removed all else. Too late now. They've lost my business. For that and other reasons...

I checked out my walmart and they had some yarn marked with clearance stickers, but the prices were the same as the non clearanced yarn. I guess I was not suppose to check it against the regular priced yarn.:think

I heard that the w-m close to my hometown in wv was going to do away with the craft section. But I hardlly buy yarn there. Most of the time I will go to craft 2000 and buy...but if we are in a hurry I'll get some at w-m. But as of now the craft section is still there. Whether the do away with it or not it's hard to tell but I do believe business will def. fail if they do.

LOL! I live in Erie!! Can't wait for Hobby Lobby to move in...which they are doing now, into the old WalMart location! (they built a super store up the street)

But by the time Hobby Lobby is completed, I'll probably be back in Florida, where there aren't many AC Moore's around.

That's okay, I love Hobby Lobby the most and I won't be far from one in Florida.

I live a half an hour from Erie and I LOVE A.C. Moore. LOL A.C. Moore used to sell other nicer brands, but they did away with them several years ago and I cleaned up on clearance. I still have a few skeins of Marble yarn I bought for $1.25 a skein. I always go there when I want something other than plain old Red Heart. Michael's in Erie is hit or miss too, sometimes they do have what A.C. Moore doesn't. Plus, I am extremely excited about the new Hobby Lobby. It is just insane for me to drive an hour to Niles to visit one store.

My walmart still has the craft section, it got smaller. The fabric is still the same, the yarn section got smaller, and yarn selection is not good. Mostly RH with some bernat baby, very little cotton mostly on cones. We don't have any other craft store around close, nearest is about hour and a half away. We have a small yarn store two towns over that has some nice yarn, but a little pricey for me. I have been hoping for a hobby lobby for some time. But alot of the people in my town quilt so there is a big need for fabric.

Archived