Walmart alert!!!

charkitty

I was just at our local Walmart the other day, and did a quick walk-through of the craft section. We have a lot of fabric - I'd say more than we ever used to. However, the yarn section is basically gone. I saw a box with small skeins of yarn for a buck each, and about 10 or 12 skeins of RHSSoft and that was IT. Looks like I was wrong about the yarn section still being there - unless they moved it over by automotive or something... which is entirely possible with the new way everything is arranged...

My brother works at Walmart, and he's at management level so his pay is okay, but he's not what I would call a Happy Worker. However, he does his job well and it pays the bills!

I found the yarn section - it is just a few aisle's over from fabric so I was kinda confused... yeah, doesn't take much for me... :lol

The 2 closest Walmarts to my house both carry different selections. The superstore carries less the the regular store. The regular has a fabric section it is fairly nice.

I checked out my walmart and they had some yarn marked with clearance stickers, but the prices were the same as the non clearanced yarn. I guess I was not suppose to check it against the regular priced yarn.:think

OMG...just how stupid do they think people are???

I will be glad to see the fabric/yarn department go back to its original size! I did get one color of the $1 PEaches and Cream yarn. It was the supersize in pink/brown variegated pattern. But I rarely catch the bargains. I think we have a LOT of yarn users in our county. What Walmart doesn't realize is that even when we aren't buying the yarn, it will bring us in the store and then we'll buy our groceries there. If I don't have anything crafty to look at, I might as well just go to the regular grocery store, where it might cost a few more cents an item, but I will have a better selection and smoother visit.

• 4 weeks later...

I am with Crabby Rat. They upped ours to $2.58 a skein for RHSS. In fact that is about all our Wal-Mart carries. I suppose at least 2/3 of the yarn wall is RH. (If you want something else and local you go to Micheal's.) I have noticed Micheal's is carrying less of some of the brands, they have depleted quite a bit. Though they are increasing their line of Loops n Threads.

A richer clientele??AT WAL*MART?? That is laughable. Richer people generally don't shop at stores like wallyworld or Target.

They never took out the yarn or fabric from our store but they drastically reduced the inventory. The yarn section used to be a couple aisles and a back wall. Now it is a half aisle.

But, they had some yarn on sale for a dollar a skein and I bought a bunch of it, it was baby yarn for afghans.

I'm so disappointed that they keep fooling around with the yarn/fabric section at the store but am thankful they are finally seeing the light.

I suppose part of the reason our Wal-mart didn't do away with the craft section is because there aren't any other craft-type or department stores in the area. No Target, no Jo-Ann's, no Michael's, absolutely no Hobby Lobby (closest one I know of is an hour & a half away) and AC Moore isn't even in this state (or Indiana or Ohio that I know of... I've never been to an AC Moore anyway... I know, I'm sheltered - yeah, I just did an internet search for the nearest AC Moore... Erie, PA!! only 5 or 5 and a half hours away!! LOL) So, without any competition, there's no need to "upsize" (if that's what they were doing). Guess I'm lucky? LOL

I guess you've answered my question. We have several Joann's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby Stores within easy driving. No wonder the WM yarn departments are lousy.

Archived