Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Good afternoon to everyone here.  Yesterday DD, GS, and I went to a family and extended family thrown by her in-laws family.  It was great fun.  The hosting family have a huge heated garage where everyone gathered.  One of the nice things about DD's split up was that she stayed on good terms with his side of the family.  There will be another get together the Sunday before Christmas of various soups and finger food.  We are included in the gift exchange ($25 limit.)  I drew grandma's name and already have several ideas.  Then there is a Chinese gift exchange where those who wish to participate bring a gift ($10 limit), then one by one the gifts a chosen.  When it's your turn you can pick an unopened one or steal one that's already been opened.  It can be a whole lot of fun.  I've participated in several of these in the past and have always had a good time.  It's fun when lots of people want the same item and it keeps moving around.

Tonight is  the Thanksgiving pot luck in our building.  Sounds like a lot of good things to eat and pretty well balanced to boot.  This is the second year we've done this.  I'll be taking sweet potatoes mashed with butter and brown sugar.  That's what I took last year and they went over well.  For the family one I'm taking green bean casserole, and assorted desserts.  I may make Jellied Holiday Nog.  It's a family recipe using Jello, pudding, and Dream Whip.  It tastes a lot like egg nog, but there is none in it.  It's easy to fix and yummy to eat.  It's super light and fluffy.

I am leaning more and more towards Freaky Squeaky for the kitten's name.  He was sharpening his claws on things he shouldn't so I moved the scratching thing into the living room and he immediately started using it.  A little too late for one of my lamp shades.  He continues to amuse me and love on me.  He and Sweet Pea are getting along better and better each day.  They can even share the bed with me at the same time.  I just have to make sure the Sweet Pea gets lots of attention as well as the attention the kitty gets.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ladies. I got to stay home all day yesterday Work went well today, and now I'm really tired. I haven't been sleeping well. I work Wednesday too, and then I'm off for the weekend. My neck is quite a bit better today.

Linda, it sounds like you are going to eat really well this holiday season. I love potlucks. Other people's cooking always tastes so much better than my own! Freaky Squeaky...now there's an original name! I've participated in those Chinese gift exchanges too. They are lots of fun. We never open the gifts until everyone has chosen one. It seems people are quick to grab large gifts, beautifully packaged gifts or gifts that Have the logo of an upscale store on the packaging.

Tomorrow I am going to cook a turkey breast. We aren't crazy about turkey, but my mil might be disappointed if we don't have turkey on Thursday. I found a recipe online that calls for making the turkey ahead of time and reheating it in the oven before serving. It had good reviews and I figured it would probably work for a turkey breast as well. I plan to cook a ham on Thursday.

Hi, peeps.

Good afternoon to everyone here.  Yesterday DD, GS, and I went to a family and extended family thrown by her in-laws family.  It was great fun.  The hosting family have a huge heated garage where everyone gathered.  One of the nice things about DD's split up was that she stayed on good terms with his side of the family.  There will be another get together the Sunday before Christmas of various soups and finger food.  We are included in the gift exchange ($25 limit.)  I drew grandma's name and already have several ideas.  Then there is a Chinese gift exchange where those who wish to participate bring a gift ($10 limit), then one by one the gifts a chosen.  When it's your turn you can pick an unopened one or steal one that's already been opened.  It can be a whole lot of fun.  I've participated in several of these in the past and have always had a good time.  It's fun when lots of people want the same item and it keeps moving around.

Tonight is  the Thanksgiving pot luck in our building.  Sounds like a lot of good things to eat and pretty well balanced to boot.  This is the second year we've done this.  I'll be taking sweet potatoes mashed with butter and brown sugar.  That's what I took last year and they went over well.  For the family one I'm taking green bean casserole, and assorted desserts.  I may make Jellied Holiday Nog.  It's a family recipe using Jello, pudding, and Dream Whip.  It tastes a lot like egg nog, but there is none in it.  It's easy to fix and yummy to eat.  It's super light and fluffy.

Your plans sound like such fun!!! So does the food....yummo!

I am leaning more and more towards Freaky Squeaky for the kitten's name.  LOL! He was sharpening his claws on things he shouldn't so I moved the scratching thing into the living room and he immediately started using it.  Smart kitty! A little too late for one of my lamp shades.  He continues to amuse me and love on me.  He and Sweet Pea are getting along better and better each day.  They can even share the bed with me at the same time.  I just have to make sure the Sweet Pea gets lots of attention as well as the attention the kitty gets.Having 2 dogs we have to be careful about sharing the love, too. But Lucy STILL reacts like she has no clue who Sparkie is when he starts to come upstairs at night. She turns into a maniac! I have to shut her in the bedroom while Sparkie meanders up the stairs.

Hi ladies. I got to stay home all day yesterday Work went well today, and now I'm really tired. I haven't been sleeping well. I work Wednesday too, and then I'm off for the weekend. My neck is quite a bit better today.So glad your neck is better...that's one of the worst things.

Linda, it sounds like you are going to eat really well this holiday season. I love potlucks. Other people's cooking always tastes so much better than my own! Freaky Squeaky...now there's an original name! I've participated in those Chinese gift exchanges too. They are lots of fun. We never open the gifts until everyone has chosen one. It seems people are quick to grab large gifts, beautifully packaged gifts or gifts that Have the logo of an upscale store on the packaging.

Tomorrow I am going to cook a turkey breast. That's all I make - it's just the three of us, and we all like white meat so it's easier for me. We aren't crazy about turkey, but my mil might be disappointed if we don't have turkey on Thursday. I found a recipe online that calls for making the turkey ahead of time and reheating it in the oven before serving. It had good reviews and I figured it would probably work for a turkey breast as well. I plan to cook a ham on Thursday.

Have a good night my friends.

Hi Ladies,

DD and baby are home now. He is a little fussy today because he had his little boy surgery done. Koko there dog doesn't seem to mind the baby at all. She even came out of her cage and walked up to him when he was crying. We've been busy catching up on things here. They usually do laundry on the weekends, but I have it almost done tonight. The hospital told us not to put the baby in the snowsuit we have for him. I just happened to bring the sweater pattern I used for Payton. After I picked Maya up after school we went to Michael's and picked up the yarn. Of course I needed to skeins. I pulled a coupon up on my phone and gave Maya the one out of the ad.

Saturday we got up to about 3" of snow on the ground and the lines and trees were all covered. It was pretty. We ended up with about 5".  Maya and I went to a craft show. First one I have been to in a very long time. Seen some unique things. I petted some wool and it was so soft. I almost bought a couple of skeins, but didn't because I use to be allergic to it. Not sure if this wool would of been any different or not.

I just talked to hubby and he said he isn't sleeping very well. He never does if I'm not home. He's coming here wednesday for Thanksgiving. We are making turkey and all the fixin's for are dinner. Maya and I will make pies wednesday. 

Thanks for all the congrats and for Gordy. Hope everyone has a nice week!

Good morning House!

Boy oh boy have I missed alot!

Judy-so happy to hear that Sparkie is doing better.  I have never crochet a round granny ghan, sounds pretty awesome!  I will have to put that on my list.

Cindy-happy to hear that your neck is feeling better.  Hosting such a large meal for lots of folks is a lot of work! whew!  

Marlene-Congratulations on the arrival of baby Geremiah.  He is so incredibly sweet looking along with his sister Maya.  Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Gordy.

Joanne-how are you?  I bet you are getting ready for the weeks events?

Linda-you have had lots of snow, we haven't had much here in Colorado.  The weather has been a bit strange this year.  Some days its cold but other days like today nice and warm.

Michelle-opening up an Esty shop sounds like the perfect match for you.  I am so excited for you!  It is so much fun.  Your grands sound soo cute!

Jill-hello there!

Mary-a nice Thanksgiving at home sounds wonderful.

Hi to anyone that I may have missed.  I was taking notes but sometimes I miss a post.

Last Friday and Saturday we had our annual Bazaar here in the building.  It was super busy!  We also hosted Santa and his elves for the Lighting Ceremony.  We served almost 200 cups of hot cocoa!  Our stores were jam packed...It was so much fun and busy buy busy.

Last night I started feeling a cold coming on, not feeling all that well today..kinda lightheaded and tired.  Going to try to take it easy for the rest of the day.  I did come in and clean up the shop, swept the floor and cleaned my counter space.  Also emptied the trash and tidied up my desk.  We will be leaving tomorrow to spend the holiday with my sister.  I am so excited!  A bit nervous to be away from the shop and online shops..hoping that all goes well.  Joyce will be working on Saturday since it is Small Business Saturday.  I have everything ready for her and all online orders processed and shipped out.  

Hope you all have a fabulous Thanksgiving.  Hugs and warmest of wishes!

Hi ladies. I'm pooped! I got up early because my neck is acting up again. It's got to be the position I slept in. I started the turkey, then went to the grocery store. Now the turkey is sliced up, ready to reheat in the oven on Thursday, mashed potatoes are made, cranberry salad is started, veggies and sausage cooked for the stuffing, and my lists are made.plus, I cleaned up the kitchen. I spent six hours cooking, buying food and cleaning up after cooking. Seems kind of ironic that we are having left overs for dinner, doesn't it?

Dh has gone to take his mom to the eye dr. If I get a second wind, I'm going to go for a walk. It's cold out, but nice and sunny. Tomorrow i have to work, so if I want to enjoy the sunshine, I will have to do it today.

LeeAnn, have a great time with your sister. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Ladies.  I'm not sure how it got to be Wednesday already. Lol  I've just caught up on posts and it sounds like everyone is busy!

Just the two of us for dinner has changed and I'm happy.  Sue cancelled her trip to Michigan, so she'll be here and will stay until Friday.  The kids are coming over for their "second dinner" later in the afternoon...they didn't want to miss Aunt Sue and definitely want DH's famous Bloody Mary's. :lol

Marlene ~ Happy First Thanksgiving to the little guy. :c9

Back to work - have a good evening, all. :manyheart

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!!  Sounds like a busy rest of the week for everyone.  GS and I got a chocolate pudding pie made yesterday and a batch of Jellied holiday nog.  Last night I borrowed two pie pans from DD and made a cherry and a blue berry pie.  There is about 1/3 of the carrot cake left from the potluck and a few of the sweet potatoes.  We should end up stuffed for the rest of the week at least.  I'll be spending most of the time at DD's house.

For those of you traveling, I hope you have safe trips and a good time when you arrive.

:tdance   :ttalk  :pilgrim:ttalk  :tdance

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dinner is done, everything is cleaned up and Dh is sleeping. He says he won't need to eat anything else today. The left overs ought to feed us for a week.

I spent half the afternoon teaching mil how to crochet. She's going to practice sc and DC until I see her again. She actually brought over a hat pattern that she wanted to make, but I persuaded her that it was probably a good idea to start with the basics first. She did not even know how to make a chain.

Hi, ladies!

Cindy, that's wonderful to hear of your MIL wanting to learn to crochet!! I'll bet you're a patient teacher, too.

Hugs to all my friends here, both long-time and newer ones!

Good afternoon everyone.  I am staying away from the Black Friday madness for the most part today.  I will probably go to the local fiber and yarn store later today.  She is having a 10%  off total purchase both today and tomorrow.  That's a really good deal on the more expensive fibers and yarns.

We had pork roast, dressing, potatoes, carrots, sweet corn, gravy, rolls, crustless pumpkin pie, and all the other pies yesterday.  Got my flippety, flappety, flume full and stuffed my guts amazingly.  (Sorry about that.  It's an old family saying.)  I am within 18 rows of having my green and silver shawl done.  WooHoo!   :yay  Added 3 1/2 rows yesterday.  DD picked me up about 2:00 and brought me home about 11:30.  It was a wonderful, quiet day with family.   :c9 

I believe that Midnight's new name is going to be Snicklefritz.  DD agrees that it suits him and it's stuck around longer than any of the others I've tried out.  He loves the little mice with the jingle bell on their tails.  He carries them around, bats them around, and in general works off a lot of steam with them.  So far yarn remains safe, but NOT kleenex tissues!   :no   First he retrieves them from the trash bag, carries them all over the place, and eventually totally shreds them.   :lol   It's more fun watching him then cleaning up after him, but he makes me laugh.  He continues to curl up in my lap multiple times a day and purr up a storm.  DD commented that she's seen an improvement in my mood since getting him, so it isn't just me.

Saw a doctor on Wednesday about the high blood sugars and low blood pressures.  She wasn't worried about the low blood pressure since it was fine there at the office.  Her verdict was that it was probably the fault of the machine.  I disagree but, I'm to track them for a week and then take the machine into the office next week to verify whether it's accurate or not.  For the blood sugars she split the dose in half and now has me taking the insulin twice a day.  It does seem to be better, so I've got my fingers crossed.  I can also increase it another 10 units (total) if it's still running high.  She's also got me checking the blood sugar twice a day instead of once a day.  (My poor fingers.   :cry )  I swear that finger pricks are worse than most shots.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dinner is done, everything is cleaned up and Dh is sleeping. He says he won't need to eat anything else today. The left overs ought to feed us for a week.

I spent half the afternoon teaching mil how to crochet. She's going to practice sc and DC until I see her again. She actually brought over a hat pattern that she wanted to make, but I persuaded her that it was probably a good idea to start with the basics first. She did not even know how to make a chain.

Cindy, I agree with you that starting on the basics is a good idea when she didn't even know how to chain.  If it was me I'd probably jump in with both feet, but that's just how I tend to do things.   :lol 

Wishing you all a great rest of the Holiday week.   :ghug 

Hello everyone!!

I sure hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!! I stayed so busy for a couple of day before and all of yesterday.. Trying to get house in order and all cooking done as well as keep the GS's.. and then throw in taking care of DH..He cut his cornea on his eye and Wednesday right in the middle of cooking had to leave GS's with my DD and take him to eye doctor... He is much better today but whew!! We went to DH's mom's for lunch (really a big meal) and then this house was full till 11:00 last night. All the children and grands were here (minus 1 son and little family). My DIL wanted to bring her mom and then my brother came and brought his 2 boys ,,, so it was packed...

Today I have been catching up on some business paperwork and then have to get ready for a wake tonight and funeral tomorrow.  My pastor's mother died yesterday morning and us being a smaller church, most of us will partake of it all....

Linda  have you shoveled out from under all that :snow  yet? and if you don't settle on a name for little kitty baby- he is going to have some serious personality disorders!! :heehee  but I think I like Skizziks best of all..  LOL!! Just checked back and see you posted again while I was writing this one... so I like Snicklefritz too!! :rofl and yes I think Snicklefritz has been awesome for you!! makes me want a little snicklefritz :heart

Cindy you are so blessed to still have family around to help you plan out holiday preparations and keep family going... I miss that and sometimes feel overwhelmed trying to keep my blended family tight.. I do hope your neck is completely better by now!!

Mary I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving with just hubby.. hope you have a fabulous week!

Judy how is your fur baby's ear and foot doing? Happy late Thanksgiving to you..

Marlene hope little baby and everyone is doing well

LeeAnn how was Small Business Saturday? I hope your cold or whatever sickness you were feeling is gone!

Well hi to anyone else I have missed and now I have GOT to get to work!! But I do want to be more thankful in the next year than what I have been being and one of the things I am thankful for is all my friends here....   :ghug

Blessings to you all....

Happy belated thanksgiving. We had a wonderful day and then spent the day yesterday with 2 of my daughters and son in law and GS we all enjoyed the leftover turkey sandwiches for lunch. That's my favorite !!! Today DD and SIL are going to the Rutgers football game and they are dropping the boys here. I am going to have them " help" me out out some Christmas decorations. Looking forward to havin them here for the day. Although I'm sure I'll be tired later on! Lol

Sounds like everyone had a nice thanksgiving. Grateful for all of you!!!!

Enjoy the day everyone. Off to get ready before the boys get here.

Good morning ladies. It's cold and gloomy here, but at least it has stopped raining. Yesterday I did laundry, a little online Christmas shopping and put out my snowmen and my Christmas village. I am considering putting up the tree today but I will probably wait a week or so. We had dinner over at DDs house last night. I guess tonight we are going to have to get started on our Thanksgiving leftovers.

Linda, it will be a miracle if mil actually learns how to crochet. She is 87 and has had a stroke. Her memory isn't what it used to be. She knits quite a bit, and it's painful to watch her attempt to hold her crochet hook like a knitting needle. We worked at it for quite a while, and I printed off the beginner crochet tutorials from the Lion brand site, as well as another much shorter one from another site.

Also, I like Snikelfritz. It's "euphonious and harmonious" (a phrase I picked up from watching "I Love Lucy" reruns.). Specifically, it's the episode where they are discussing baby names. Hope you can get the health issues straightened out. WTG on the shawl progress.

Michelle, I hope your DH's eye heals without complications. Sorry to hear about your pastors mother.

Joanne, glad you had such a nice thanksgiving.

Now, can anyone explain to me why now, 4 weeks before Christmas, I woke up with all sorts of homemade gift ideas running through my head? There is no way I can make all these things before Christmas. Not only that, I thought it would be a good idea to use up some of my fabric stash and make gift bags for these gifts. I even got up with the idea that I would run over to Michaels and get supplies for these gifts. No point in thinking up ideas for all the supplies that are stashed all over this house, right? Much better to buy more! Well, more fun, anyhow!

That said, I am seriously considering making hand lotion for gifts. A friend got some as a favor at a wedding shower and was really impressed by it. She got the recipe, and gave it to me. It's all over the Internet as well. It consists of baby lotion, vitamin E cream and either Vaseline or coconut oil. At least I could make a whole lot of gifts in an afternoon with that idea. The most expensive part woukd probably be the containers.

Hi Ladies,

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! I was busy busy. Wednesday the baby had a doctors appt. He is gaining and doing well. DD is feeling better to. Maya is so helpful with him. She asks to feed him and hold him. I forgot my shortening and decided to get up early Thanksgiving morning and go to the store for it and some things DD needed. I was surprised how many people were at the store at 7am. I made a sweet potato pie, a cherry pie for the guys and a pumpkin spice pie for us girls. I cooked all day. I slept well that night.

No black friday sales were done here. 

Cindy, I think lots of crafters think we get all these projects running through are heads that we can make and there just isn't enough time to. I thinks it's nice of you to teach your mother in-law to crochet. I hope it works for her. 

Joanne, Enjoy the day with the GS. I bet they will have fun putting up decorations. 

Judy, I think I missed about Sparkie. Hope he is feeling better. 

Michelle, Hope DH's eye heals without any complications. 

LeeAnn, Hope your enjoying your time away at your sisters. Hope your feeling better.

Mary, Glad you ended up with a house full for Thanksgiving. 

Linda, I like the kittys name. Way to go on your shawl. 

DD wants to go out for breakfast and to the store so I need to get off here and get a shower. Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi, my friends!

Sparkie has finished his meds for both issues and everything looks great! He's such a mush - I'm so happy he's happy.

Linda, Oh, there's nothing like an affectionate male cat to lift your spirits. When we had ours in the early days of our marriage he was such a love bug.

Hi to Michelle, Mary, Marlene, Cindy and everyone! Off I go again.....

Good morning to you all.  Michelle, I hope hubby's eye heals well.  That must have been scary.  Cindy, the hand cremes sounds lovely.  I know what you all mean by suddenly coming up with lots of ideas for things to make.  I've been having them too.

I am so thankful for all of my friends here.  There are many a day when you gals help to keep me sane.  All my love goes out to you.   :manyheart    :ghug    :manyheart

I did it!  I splurged on me at the LYS.   :D   Two more skeins of the silver 50/50 silk and wool lace weight yarn and 4 more skeins of a new color in the Alpaca lace weight yarn.  Scrumptious colors.  Also picked up two more size F crochet hooks.  Most of mine seem to be MIA.  Spent a bunch of time with DD and GS this afternoon/evening and now back home with the fur babies.

Hi House. :)   I just now read through all of your news and am just too tired to respond tonight. Lol  Thursday was a lovely day with Sue and DD, Sil and the little guys...even with 6 inches of rain in one day!  Sue drove home yesterday morning, the boys begged to stay here Thursday night and their dad picked them up yesterday morning.  We had already planned for them to be here for the weekend, so we picked them up this morning.  Whew - I am one tired, but happy Grammy. :lol  It's still raining on and off and in the low 30's, so no playing outside this visit.  The boys will go home tomorrow afternoon and then I can really catch up with you all. :manyheart 

I think I'll pour a glass of wine and be in bed by 9. ;)

Good afternoon to you all.  It's been wetting on us since yesterday.  It ranges from mist that is hanging in the air to light rain for the most part but it's not fun.  It's above freezing so it's just wet.  Thank goodness.

Snicklefritz was fascinated by the ball winder and swift last night as I was winding the last ball of yarn for the green and silver shawl.  I managed to get two more rows done.  It's slow going at this point since it takes so long to do 1 row.  I showed off the completed blue and white one on Saturday while at the LYS.  One of the gals was teaching a class of beginning crocheters.  She initially thought it was knitted, but when she realized that it was crocheted she was blown away.  Her response made me very pleased to say the least.  She commented that the final row of picots would take her at least a week.  She made sure her students got a good look at it.  LOL

Hi Ladies. :)

Linda ~ You've been busy!  Way to go on the winding and the shawl progress. :clap   I'm not surprised that the teacher and class were so impressed with your work. :)

I spent most of today trying to get things in order around the house.  I need one more day to finish laundry and some cleaning and then hope to start some Christmas planning.  The boys were busy as ever and we had more rain over the weekend, so there was no outdoor playtime.   We've had over 9 inches since Thursday, but it's supposed to be out of here by tonight.

I hope everyone had a nice holiday and weekend. :manyheart

Good afternoon ladies. Yesterday was a great day at work, but by the time I got home, I felt awful. Seems as though I picked up a cold somewhere. It's really not awful, as far as colds go, just a cough, fatigue, and a headache mostly. Luckily, today's teaching job got cancelled due to lack of participants. I have tomorrow off as well.

I made that homemade hand lotion I was talking about earlier. It was very easy, and didn't take much time. I put it in these fancy flat jelly jars and printed labels for them. Now I'm sewing little gift bags for them. I have a ton of fabric and I'm not doing anything fancy. Just sewing two sides together, finishing the top with pinking shears and adding a length if ribbon for a handle. I made 14 bags in around an hour.

Linda, what pattern are you using for your shawls. The green and silver sounds so festive and elegant.

Mary, I am about half done with Christmas shopping. I have the fun part done....gifts for the grandkids. I have a few other things bought as well.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Archived