Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Internet is finally back!

Judy, your basket is gorgeous.

Mary, I'm only working Friday this week. Today I watched my three youngest grandchildren while DD ran errands. We had fun together. No housework was even contemplated.

Good night, ladies.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ladies,

Cindy, Glad you didn't lose power and you have internet back. Enjoy your time off this week.

Mary, Bummer on the neighbors tree falling on your house. Glad to hear you have fared in the weather. 

Judy, Love your basket. Beautiful colors.

Jill, No cookies were made at my house this year. I did make a pan of peanut butter fudge to take to Christmas dinner. My knitting is very minimal.

Michelle, I hope your DH was able to fix the plumbing problem.

Joanne, Enjoy your time with the family this week. 

We arrived at our winter home this afternoon. So far all the hornets were dead. Are place looks like a jungle. They have had so much rain this year everything flower wise and weeds have grown. Lots of work to do outside and inside. 

We had a nice visit with sil and her family. 

I haven't made news year resolutions in years. I hope everyone has a good rest of the week.

Good morning

Love the basket Judy!

Happy to see that Marlene made it safely to the tx coast and the hornets are dead

My dd is back home on Boston. She made really good time on the train. Can't believe how quickly the 4 days she was here flew by. I'm off work today, but have to go tomorrow. Hoping to play catch up on the housework and laundry today. And of course, crochet, knit and read. I think the reading and crafting will win out on what I spend the most time doing today :-)

Have a good day everyone

Good morning ladies. Looks like Marlene made it to Texas just in time to avoid the Michigan winter. We had snow overnight and it's snowing now. I knew the 50 degree weather wouldn't last.....but I am kind of disappointed. I suppose my next door neighbors who own a snow skiing area are happy though!

Today, I'm planning to do a few household chores, and maybe some sewing. Our grandkids are performing in a Christmas concert at their church, so that's what we will be doing tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to make Dutch Oliebollen. (literally, the term means "fat balls"). They are similar to donuts, and consist of a slightly sweet yeast dough that is deep fried by spoonfuls. They are then coated with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. They can be plain or chopped apples or raisins can be added. (I suppose other fruits would work as well, but apples and raisins are usual.). They are traditional for New Years Eve, and my mom always made them. I've never made them, but I decided that it was a tradition that I wanted to resurrect. I never, ever deep fry anything, so this will be a new thing for me. I wonder if my deep fryer still works? Dh made French fries with it four or five years ago, and that's the last time it was used. Actually, I wonder if I can even find it......

Joanne, glad your DD made it home safely. Hope your day is productive.....although......laundry and housework will always be there, you could just craft and read all day!

Have a great day, ladies!

Good morning, everyone. :)

Judy ~ Gracie was really funny with our small amount of snow Monday...she rolled on her back and made her own snow angel. :lol   Thank you for the compliment about my shop.  I had 17 sales in December!  I'm still surprised when I sell something. Lol  Now I need to get busy and add more inventory.

Marlene ~ Oh, thank you for checking in...you made good time considering the bad weather!  I hope you have great weather while you're there. :yes

Joanne ~ Enjoy your day!  I vote for crafting and reading, too. :D

Cindy ~ Yay for the internet returning!  I'll bet the three little ones kept you very busy yesterday.  The Dutch "donuts" sound delicious.  The only thing we use our fryer for is fresh catfish, when we're lucky enough to have some!  How much snow is predicted?  Stay safe on the roads. :manyheart

It's sunny and cold - 28* this morning.  I have a few errands to take care of and need to put away the last few Christmas things. 

Any plans for New Year's Eve?  Have a good day, friends. :manyheart

Crafting and reading won out. I started a "call the midwife" blanket for a co worker who is due in feb. I'm using Vanna silver heather since she is doing the baby's room grey and teal. Plus I had enough of that color in stash :-)

Sigh!  Just lost my post.  Again.  I've been keeping up with all of the happenings just haven't managed to get a response to stay here long enough to get it posted.  Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.  Our plans are quiet ones here at home.​

Now to see if I can add some more. 

Marlene, I'm glad that you made it to Texas with no more trouble.  That near accident sounded really scary.  I'd be more than a bit freaked out if it had happened to me.  Glad the hornets are history.  Take it easy with the yard work and don't tackle too much at a time.  It will wait for you.

Cindy, winter has arrived with a vengeance here in Iowa as well.  Monday we got a couple inches of snow followed by enough freezing rain/sleet/ice pellets for a crust to form and then more snow.  All that coupled with high gusty winds that were making large tree branches wave around made for a very nasty day.  Temps are now running between zero and upper 20s.  Today we have some sunshine for the first time in at least a week.

DD made it to work on Monday, but has been home sick ever since.  Her head cold has now moved to her sinuses and her voice is very hoarse and scratchy.  She's sleeping a lot. 

Christmas was nice.  New Year's Eve will be spent here at home.  GS has been bouncing off the walls for most of last week and this week.  The recent med change has helped some, but there is a long way to go.  Don't know what they  will try next.

My goal for 2016 is to begin a prayer shawl ministry at our church with me as the beginning contributor and others to join in if they are so inclined later.  I have started trying to get hooked up with the right person at church to notify me of those in our church who are in need of one.  The first person referred me to two other possibilities.  Just have to get their numbers and see if either is the right one to be my contact person.  I have gifted one to a church member who was having a hard time with chemotherapy for cancer and another to a building neighbor who is suffering from a car accident and the loss of four close friends and family members in the last year.  I want to use the money I spend on yarn and my talent at crocheting as my church pledge this coming year.

Wishing you a wonderful new year.  Love.  Linda

Hi peeps

Mary, Gracie sounds so cute!!!

Linda, the shawl ministry sounds wonderful. My church has one and I keep meaning to check into it.

I'm working on a small tote for my friend in FL. She put the last one I made over her control for her scooter and its disintegrating. Here's a pic of the squares I'm using. May make a larger border if she needs it larger than 10 inches

PS..she LOVES ladybugs. She doesn't know what it will look like

post-8552-0-72817100-1451521392_thumb.jpg

Joanne ~ Way to go on ignoring the boring stuff ~ crocheting is much more fun! ;)

Linda ~ What a wonderful project you have planned for the prayer shawl ministry. ♥♥♥  I bet you'll have lots of people joining in before you know it!  I hope dgs's doctors can get "just the right meds" combination, but I know it can be a long road. :hug

Judy ~ Oh my,  more gorgeous graph patterns!  I've always admired your talent for these...just beautiful! :clap

DH made delicious quesadillas using leftover grilled chicken tonight.  Add a little Pace's sauce and I'm happy. :)

Have a good night, everyone. :manyheart

Happy new year.

Judy, the totes are cute!!!,

Wishing you all a year full of blessings !!! Not sure I'll make until the ball drops. It was a busy day at work and already I'm tired and it's only 7:30!!!! Lol

Hi house!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :yay 

I'm grabbing a little computer time while I can.. I have been down this whole week with a fibro flare up attacking my back and yesterday was in the bed nearly all day... been better today, but had the grands so it' has been kind of noisy...We did get out for a bit. My baby DD is 15 and turning 16 the 13th of next month.. Fixing to get her driver's license. We have been looking at vehicles we could afford. So today, my DH found another Escape like mine only crimson (mine is black). low mileage, taken very good care of and LOW price!! He had been finding cars that were on the sporty side, but this is my baby.. she needs something she can SEE out of!! So we might get this one for me, and then have mine detailed out just for her with some specials and give her the keys for her birthday.. We shall see...she's wanting a bowling party and thinks that's all she's getting.. so like I said, We shall see...

The grands mother will be here in a bit to get them, they want us to come over for New Year's Eve for supper and watch some fireworks.. I would rather stay here because I'm still tired from the fibro flare and back still not completely back to what I call normal, but don't want to let them down. Would really love to bring in New Year working on some craft things, but  who am I kidding? I will most likely be :sleep rather than ringing it in!!!! Also the big game comes on tonight ROLL TIDE! and maybe DH will make an excuse to come home to see game because the kids will be loud... I just want some time with me and my :yarn.  I can blame this site for that I think.. I went from just beginning to take an interest and now I have all these things running around my head of what I want to do!! 

Hi Marlene, :waving and anyone else I missed!

Jill - what kind of poncho are you making? I just found the Evening Chill and I SOO want to do that one for myself!!! It is beautiful!! I did crochet one item with the Deborah Norville... it worked up very lightly.. I liked it!

As far as resolutions go, I NEED to lose weight!!  I say that every year but my health with this fibro I'm thinking would be so much better if I lost all this weight I've gained since remarrying... 35 lbs. :eek 

Hi Judy!! I :heart the beautiful basket!!! and it looks like that is going to be a beautiful tote for your friend with the ladybugs and sunflowers!!  and yes I did join the Encouragement for Gifts 2016 thread! This is my first time and I believe it will really help me with what all I have to do.. I just remembered 3 other things I need to add to the list already.. I'm beginning to think that is one list I won't ever complete, because it will just keep growing!!

Cindy, your Dutch Olliebolen sounds so scrumptious!!! My mouth was watering just reading about it!! I think the ones with chopped apple sound best of all!! YUMMY!!

Mary, I have decided to open up a shop after all.. I want it to be both jewelry and crochet, but haven't had any time to do any crochet yet because different ones keep asking for jewelry before I can open my shop... Think I will have to start it real small and just keep adding to it as I can.. And the word of mouth here may be better than my Etsy, but anyway, I'm excited about doing it!! I may have to come to you for plenty of advice! I checked your shop out and love it.. I already see a couple of things I want to get a little later! :)

Joanne, the little baby blanket sounds so soft and pretty!! You will surely have to show it off to us!!

Linda, I couldn't help but get tickled about you losing your posts!! That happens to me ALL the time!! I  am so glad someone told me about going to the more options and then clicking on the auto save when that happens.. it sure helps. and :wbrr on all your snow and ice!!! I've lived in the deep south all my life and I hate when it is "cold" here, I would surely die if I had to live a winter up north!! DH and I went about 5 yrs ago on honeymoon vacation to Idaho and Wyoming... I fell in love with Wyoming and he did too and we seriously thought about buying a smaller place there for our "summer" home.. a friend that he knows that lives out that way said he would help us to "keep it up" during the winter months.. but I told DH if it was just us that would be right down my alley, but with all the kids and the grands that was just too far away!! I hated flying!!! 

Linda I was very impressed with your prayer shawl ministry!! Can you tell me exactly how all this works? My church is small and I am the only one that crochets in it, but this sounds like a wonderful ministry to have!!

Well, I guess I've chatted enough... maybe I can get a little crocheting in before going over there and the big game!

:party Wishing everyone the BRIGHTEST and HAPPIEST NEW YEAR OF ALL!! May we never run out of yarn, hooks, or ideas, and we always have the energy to pursue our dreams!!!  (yeh yeh I know--- feeling a bit sappy here, now all of a sudden! ;) 

Happy New Year Ladies!

Judy, Love the bag!

Mary, I can picture Gracie making her snow angels. Cute!

Linda, Your prayer shawl group planning sounds like a great idea. You make some beautiful shawls. Hope they find the right mix on meds for your DGS. 

Cindy, Did you find your deep fryer? Your dutch donuts sound delicious. 

Michelle, Hope your fibro flare up doesn't hang around to long. We are on second escape and love them. It will be a great car for your DD. 

Today I will help in the kitchen. We serve homemade chicken noodle and potato soup for lunch every new years day. It's going to be a rainy weekend here. I have a ton of laundry to do. We have been trying to leave clothes here every year and this year they need to washed. When we leave in the spring I'll put them in those big vaccum bags with some dryer sheets. I tried it on the bedding and towels and it works. We went to the new years eve party at the club house. It was nice. They had tons of door prizes. We won a gift card to a real nice restaurant that we haven't been to yet, a selfie stick, 2 clear plastic lighthouses that are really nicely made, a glass dolphin key chain that we will give to Maya and some note cards.

I need to go get in the shower. Hope everyone has a great day!

Happy 2016! I'm on call for work so I got to stay in bed a bit longer than usual. We have a church service this morning, so Dh has gone there, and then he plans to spend time with his mom. He will take her out to lunch, and then come home. I suppose I could go to lunch with them if I don't get called in, but I like for her to have some alone time with just him. I bought her a few new puzzles yesterday, so they can spend some time working on one of them. She likes the 300 piece puzzles, and they are hard to find in adult themes.

Marlene, I couldn't find my deep fryer. It may have gone off to goodwill. I used my electric frying pan. It took some trial and error to get the temperature right, but after a few batches, we figured it out. You and hubby sure won a lot of things at the party. You are missing out on the snow! :). We get a little more each day and not much melting is going on. The roads are good though.

Today is the day our family is finally getting together to open gifts. We are going to have appetizers for dinner, rather than a full meal, which will be much easier for me. Then, tomorrow the tree can come down.

Has anyone made any resolutions for 2016? Besides my usual resolution to live healthier and lose weight, I'm hoping to decrease my collection of craft supplies. I have so much, and I keep buying more. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to finish some of my WIPs either. The only plan I currently have for decreasing stash is making quilted pot holders. I think they would make nice birthday gifts for my sister and sisters in law, and they won't be overly time consuming.

Hi peeps,

Michelle, its a crazy time when the kids get their license! Your olan for the car sounds like a good one. I'll see you over on the encouragement thread.

Hi, Marlene!

Cindy, I love it when I get to go out with my son without hubby. I'm sure MIL appreciates your thoughtfulness. the few decorations we still have out will be coming down tomorrow too. I don't make resolutions per se, but I do want to work on my knitting in between other WIPS already promised or in the works. I'm already eating pretty healthy out of necessity, so have lost weight as a consequence.

Thanks for the compliments, my friends...it was another fun project for me.

Just got back from visiting Mom for a couple of days. Always a nice visit at Christmas/New Years. Also saw both sisters and their families. Mom gave me a "crocheting Angel". I have never seen one before. She is crocheting a doily. So cute!

Hi Jill.

Does your mom live far from you?

And what is a crocheting angel?

I managed to crochet a couple of rows on my Paris ghan yesterday. Still a ways to go and there are areas where I really have to pay close attention to the color changes, so that slows me up a bit. Once I get past these early rows I think I'll be moving at a better pace.

I also will be making a pink blanket for a baby coming in April. Need to go to Michaels...poor me...lol!

Have a good Saturday, everyone.

Good Morning!  When I woke up, I just knew it was a Monday - the holidays always mess me up. Lol

Judy ~ The tote is gorgeous!  You've shown us such great pictures lately...you've been busy! :hook

Marlene ~ It sounds like you're settled in and already busy with activities. :yes   Yay for winning the goodies at the party and the New Year's menu sounds delicious!

Jill ~ I'm so glad you had a good visit with family.  Yes, tell us more about the crocheting angel!

Michelle ~ Oh, sending hugs your way. :hug   I hope the fibro flare has improved.  I remember when our DD got her first car.  She insisted on a stick shift. At least both DH and I knew how so we could teach her, since they sure didn't teach that in her driver's training class. :lol   Good for you for planning an Etsy shop!  I am no expert and still learning, but I will be happy to help all I can! 

Cindy ~ I hope you had a great time with family yesterday evening. :manyheart!

Hi to those I've missed, too!

We had lunch with friends yesterday and then went by to see the boys.  Sil went to San Antonio to see TCU in the Alamo Bowl, but DD decided she wanted to stay home this time.  Zach is going through that "nobody touches me but mommy or daddy" phase and throws a fit if I do.  This too shall pass. :lol 

Have a good day, everyone. :manyheart

Good morning ladies. It snowed lightly here most of yesterday, so it looks nice and clean and bright outside. I ended up getting called into work about ten yesterday, but it was pretty slow in the unit that I worked in. Our grandchildren had a great time opening gifts last evening and have been texting me pictures of their Lego creations this morning.

I made a list of all my WIPs yesterday. It's pretty impressive...in a bad way. Apparently my ability to ignore old projects in favor of starting new ones is of championship caliber! Of course, I already have ideas for new projects.......

I think we might end up going out for dinner tonight. We have a gift certificate from last Christmas that we haven't used yet. And we got another one to the same restaurant this Christmas. We actually eat there fairly regularly, that gift certificate just never cones with us!

Well, off to work on WIPs...or maybe start something new......

Hi House,

Just popping in today for a brief moment.

Judy, my Mom lives about 3 hours away.  Our whole family always visits between Christmas and New Years.  I also visit several times during the year and spend several weeks with her. 

I am adding a picture of my angel.  Actually looks more like she is knitting but she is titled Crocheting Angel and her doily is crocheted. 

post-23508-0-81022300-1451760850_thumb.jpg

Hope you all are having a restful Saturday.  I really need to clean but am procrastinating.  lol I will be making our New Years dinner today since we were traveling yesterday and didn't have it then.

Archived