Our House Part Two

JulieKay

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning. Gloomy here today. Yesterday was beautiful and I ended up spending an hour hiking in the woods. Surprisingly, there were quite a few people out there. usually it's pretty quiet out there on weekdays, but I guess people were taking advantage of the weather.

Nothing much planned here today. Housework and the laundry I didn't do yesterday. DS is coming for dinner. I'm planning on making homemade soup and bread.

LeeAnn, your projects are lovely. Love the color of the sweater. I've always been too lazy to add a border to a c-to-c blanket. I've tried, but it seems like such a lot of bother! Yours makes me think that maybe I ought to try again.

Good morning!!

Life is beginning to get a little more sane here...so I am beginning to get mojo back some and so many projects I need/want to do!! Not only craft wise, but organizing / cleaning and such...only thing,, my mind has all the plans but a lot of times my body will only go so far. :( But it feels good to be going at it again...

Linda, I hate your shawls didn't sell as well as you hoped, but that doesn't mean they won't the next time! I'm sure it was still in all a great experience..so many posts on bazaars, craft fairs and shops make me not want to give up on that little dream of mine.. But I think it would be awhile before I would be ready.. I noticed that Amy has some read only forums about starting a craft business on here.. where would some of you recommend I start.. I'm kind of in the researching, checking it out and pondering stage, but I realize I would need a plan before getting started...maybe you gals could give me pointers..

And the fur-babies!! :manyheart  :manyheart  makes me really wishing I had one too!! We have a couple horses, a whole bunch of cows and the only pet that I can say is my pet is my Daisy, but she is outside dog..she loves the time we bathe her and bring her in for a while but then she's ready to go back out and "herd" the cows! Pretty tough, for a little jack russell..

Marlene, praying all goes well with your DD and that your DH gets to feeling much better!! Sounds like you have your hands full..  :hug

Mary,  and really everyone, I sure hope no extreme weather came too close.. It is building here.. It has been dark and gusty here every since yesterday evening..Very hot and an ominous feeling in the air...I think it is actually supposed to move in this evening and last through tomorrow evening.

Cindy, my DD and I love doing the boxes through our church..We just sent ours off.. We have a small church but we always try to send no less than 100 boxes..

LeeAnn, I love your projects!! Especially that pretty sunny jacket cardi! So pretty!!

Well I want to check out the other forum real quick and then I've got to get hopping!! Like LeeAnn I have some business work for my husband's pest control business to do, and then some house cleaning to finish..and this evening I have a few projects to work on myself!!

Hoping everyone in the HOUSE stays safe today :ghug  

Hi everyone. :)

LeeAnn ~ Your afghan and sweater are gorgeous! Yay for being all caught up on paperwork and products. :cheer  

Michelle ~ I'm so glad things are settling down...you sound more relaxed and that is a good thing. :yes  :manyheart

Cindy ~ I know you're glad that winter has held off this long!  We had severe storms last night starting about 2 a.m.  Thankfully, we only had a few branches down, but there was a tornado about 2 miles from us!

Marlene ~ Thinking of you all...keep us posted about the baby!

It's been a very long day.  I couldn't go back to sleep after the storms passed through and we had to be near downtown for an appt. at 10.  Early bedtime for me tonight. ;)   I have a semi-annual check up tomorrow and hope to have some crochet time, too. :)

Have a good evening, house. ♥♥♥

Happy hump day!!

I've been busy at work and have been busy in the evening making hats and scarves. I am knitting scarves for each of my dd's and crocheting a coordinating color hat Also crocheting some scarves for gifts for some co workers and our giving tree at work.

Tonight I'm hoping to stop by to see the boys after work. It will all depend on how much energy I have I told DD I might stop by, but not to say anything to the boys in case I'm too tired. It doesn't help that I woke so early this morning so we shall see. I didn't get to see them this past weekend and this weekend we have plans so won't see them.

Love the projects that Judy and Leeann posted!!!!

Thinking of you all and hope you all have a good day. :-)

Good morning/afternoon house!

Joanne-My Christmas list is growing, I must get to work on scarves and beanies.  I think that is what I am going to gift my sisters and mom with this year...that is if I can get them worked up in time.

Mary-I hope that your appointment went well and that you were able to get a better nights sleep.  

MIchelle-starting a business is fun and lots of work at the same time.  What type of items are you wanting to sell?

Cindy-how ya doing?  Did you enjoy your time spent with your dd?  The c2c border wasn't too challenging.  I am glad that the pattern had the border with it because I wasn't sure how to go about bordering it.  I think in the past I have not added a border but I did like the way that it turned out.

Hello to the rest of the house!  Nothing too exciting going on over here.  Going to work on the second sweater and enjoy the day.

Have a great one my friends!

Hi ladies. It's gloomy, drippy and very windy here. Our power was off for part of the morning and our internet was out for even longer. You would think that I would get lots done wouldn't you? Unfortunately I did nothing productive other than assemble a casserole for dinner. I did read an entire book though.

I slept in an odd position last night and am having a lot of neck pain. (Pretty soon I will have pain on the other side as I am holding my head crooked to reduce the pain!:)). Hopefully it's gone by tomorrow. I took some Tylenol but that hasn't touched it. I'm a bit wary of Motrin after all that hype about it contributing to heart disease, but I'm going to try that next.

I am working five out of the next seven days and I'm tired already! Plus I am hosting Thanksgiving. the two weeks after Thanksgiving will be busy with work too. I'm only working my regular hours in the ICU, but I have a number of teaching days in there too. At least my Christmas shopping is half done and everything that I've bought is wrapped.

According to DS we are supposed to get a lot of snow Friday night into Saturday. I don't have to work Saturday, but I still hope he's wrong!

Hi Ladies,

LeeAnn, Love the blanket and sweater. 

Mary, Glad  things are okay with those tornadoes being so close. 

Linda, I bet DGS was excited over his sales. Sorry you didn't sell anything. 

Michelle, Glad things are getting easier for you.  We have a Daisy and she is a rat terrier. 

Cindy, I see that snow prediction to. I hope there wrong. But with the weather we have had it won't last long. The ground is to warm. I hope it isn't to bad. I want to go to a craft show saturday morning and to Joann's. Be careful being out in the woods with deer hunting on. Nice of you to make up the Christmas boxes.

Joanne, I hope you were up to stopping by and seeing the boys. I bet they are getting big.

Been busy here getting ready to be gone for two weeks. I did some laundry made a pot of chili that I'm going to freeze for hubby and a pot of potato soup. With the meat in the freezer he'll be good. He'll be coming down to DD's next wednesday. I will be going to DD's friday morning. She is schedule to deliver at 10 so I plan on being at the hospital by 9. Taking projects with me. I'll let you know all about the baby. Hope everyone has a great week.

Hi, peeps!

Finally getting a few minutes to check in....

Cindy, I can't take anything now except tylenol - and that pretty much useless for most of my issues. Feel better.

I meant to ask about your kitchen. Last I remember, you were painting it and it was set to be put together. Do you have any pictures of the back splash, etc, that you decided on?

Michelle, I'm sure some of the ladies here can give you ideas about how to set up a shop.

Joanne, Happy hooking/pointy stick playing!

Hi to everyone else....I'm busy using leftovers and making 3 round grannies with a neutral border. It's very relaxing. :D

Hugs to everyone.

Hi to everyone.  I worked on one of the unfinished shawls last night while watching the shows on food channel.  Mr. Midnight is going to get a new name, but I'm not sure what yet.  Now that he's feeling better and being curious and rambunctious Midnight just doesn't seem to fit him any more.  He's still a lover and insists on several long petting/purring sessions every day, but he races around a lot now that he's feeling so much better.  Fizzywig and Gismo are two of the names under consideration, and so is Widget.

Cindy, what do you mean you didn't get anything done?  You read a whole book.   :cheer   That's impressive to me.  Hope that work goes well for you.  Hope the neck feels better soon, too.

Marlene, be careful on the roads on Friday.  If we get the snow that is called for it could be dicey driving.  We are supposed to get a mix of rain, sleet, and/or snow tonight, tomorrow, and Saturday.  I'm not looking forward to it and hoping it is just rain.  It has been super windy here all week.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of and hearing about the baby.  Hope all goes well for both of them.   :hug 

Judy, it's good to hear that Sparkie is doing better.  Sounds like he's still got a ways to go though.

Hi to everyone else.  Hope you all have a great day.   :ghug 

Hi ladies. Quiet day at work for a change. Hope tomorrow is the same, but it's doubtful. 3 admissions were rolling in as I left.

Judy, I haven't picked a backsplash for the kitchen yet. So no progress there......

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Hi Everyone!!

Hope everyone is well with all the wild weather been going on and just the wildness in general these days...

Mary and Marlene, I am feeling better these days!! I even went back to my sweet DIL and asked her not to be mad at me but let's "tweak" my hairstyle a bit more.... she was so glad I did she said, because when she saw me the next day she didn't really like it either! :rofl  But now I LOVE it!! Feels sassy!! Mary, I hope your check-up went well... Marlene, keep us posted on that sweet baby!!

JoAnn, hope you're doing well... I know the feeling of my energy just leaving in the evening and I don't even have a full time job...

LeeAnn and Judy, I'm not really thinking of anything really big business wise, because my handmade items are slow.. but I've always kind of thought about like an etsy shop or FB page or something like that for crochet and handmade jewelry.. I have some beads a girl gave me just last night that she rescued out of her wedding bouquet from a couple of years ago and she wants me to do something with them, so I told her to shoot me some pics of things she likes so I can know what kind of style or theme she's shooting for and we would go from there.. I have never advertised but have sold some things here and there because people find out I do it and ask me for stuff..

Cindy, I hope your neck is better!! And yes please show pictures of your remodel!! That sounds great!! And like you I'm hosting Thanksgiving too... only thing is I'm having to do evening meal for all my family because my DH's mom is having  the mid-day meal at her house for their family.. :irk

Linda, your Midnight sounds so fun!! :cat and I love the names you picked out!! Although I picture him being more a Gizmo by the way you descibe him..

Well everyone take care!!

Hi to everyone.   :hi   No snow so far.  It looks like it may veer north of us and miss us all together.  Oops!  It started snowing a little bit ago, and there is a little accumulating on the grass and trees now.  So far it's not much, but it is coming down pretty good at the moment.  Sigh!   :shrug   Time will tell.

Cindy, I'm grad that you are feeling a bit better.  Are you going all out for the evening meal on Thanksgiving or making a smaller one, since they will have had a big one already?

When I was growing up it was turkey for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  For New Year's eve it was my Aunt Connie's oyster stew.

All the aunts and uncles are gone now which feels odd.  Now we kids are the older generation.  Feeling sad and old today.

Marlene, I sure hope that you had a good and safe trip to DD's this morning and that mom and baby are both now doing well.

post-2560-0-96436300-1448078383_thumb.jpeg Here is Maya with her sweet baby brother Gerimiah Melvin. He weighed 7lbs 5ozs, 21 1/4" long. He was born at 10:41 am. He's nice and healthy. Mom is in a lot of pain. She shouldn't still be so we're hoping tomorrow is a better day.

The news just said we could get 6" of snow. Not ready for this.

Today was a bitter sweet day for hubby and I. Our dear friend Gordy died this morning. We will certainly miss him. He's in a better place and not suffering any more.

Marlene, what a sweet picture of the siblings!the cycle of life....Gordy went through so much and we know you will miss him terribly. Hugs to you, my friend.

Hi to everyone else...including...Gismo?...lol! Behavior is why Heidi became Lucy...lo!

breakfast time here.

Good Morning!

Marlene ~ Congratulations on your new grandson! :)   Maya is so cute and is obviously happy that her new baby brother has arrived. :manyheart   I am so sorry about Gordy. :hug

Linda ~ Like so many of us, we are the oldest generation, too.  I hope your snow doesn't amount to much this time...we're having very high winds along with a cold front this morning. Brrr!  Thankfully, no precip though.

Michelle ~ Your Thanksgiving sounds very busy. ;)   I decided to open an Etsy shop when DH lost his vision and retired.  Knowing I would need to be home with him more, I wanted something "for me."  With so many wonderful shops, I'm still pleasantly surprised when something sells. :lol   You could definitely sell both crochet and jewelry in the same shop! 

Judy ~ How are the children?  I hope Sparkie is much better.  I remember when Heidi became Lucy - definitely the right decision. :lol

We have so much to be thankful for, but I'm not thankful that our garbage disposal went out yesterday and my dryer finally quit this morning.  A plumber is coming Monday and I guess I'll go buy a new dryer later today.  This stuff really cuts into my crochet time! ;)

Hi ladies. It's snowing. There are a few inches on the ground already and it's still coming down. Sophie is a bit annoyed about it. Ordinarily she spends a lot of time outside. Today she has been mostly sulking inside.

Linda, I am doing a big Thanksgiving dinner in the early afternoon. As far as I know, none of my guests are having a Thanksgiving dinner elsewhere. I'm going to cheat here and there though. I bought pies and have them in the freezer. I plan to cook a turkey breast ahead of time, and I have a spiral sliced ham that just needs to be heated. I may carve it the day before too. I don't mind the cooking, but all that mess all over gets on my nerves.

Mary, my dryer is 36 years old. It still works, but I think it's probably well past its "use-by" date!

Marlene, congrats on the new grandson. Hope DD feels better soon. I'm sorry to hear about Gordy.

Michelle, good luck with the shop idea.

Good afternoon everyone.  We got dumped on.  Big time!  When I took Sweet Pea out for a walk early in the morning and again just now the snow depth varied from occasionally up to her tummy (about 4 inches) to up to the top of her back (a good 7 inches) and she wasn't particularly happy about it.  It was very slippery out early, but it's a lot better now.  It's supposed to be highs in in the teens and twenties at least through Wednesday.  My joints are really feeling it.   :( 

You wouldn't believe how some of the idiots were driving.  Two cars collided at the intersection I can see from my window.  I'm not sure but I think the one hitting the other was 4 wheel drive.  It gives you better traction, but in icy conditions you can slide just as badly if not worse than a regular car.  Didn't look like anyone was hurt, so I kept going.  There were lots of others stopped there already and I didn't feel like adding to the congestion.  Especially since I didn't see what happened.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg Here is Maya with her sweet baby brother Gerimiah Melvin. He weighed 7lbs 5ozs, 21 1/4" long. He was born at 10:41 am. He's nice and healthy. Mom is in a lot of pain. She shouldn't still be so we're hoping tomorrow is a better day.

The news just said we could get 6" of snow. Not ready for this.
Today was a bitter sweet day for hubby and I. Our dear friend Gordy died this morning. We will certainly miss him. He's in a better place and not suffering any more.

What a lovely picture of Maya and baby brother.  He's a good sized little one.  Hope mom feels better soon.  I was sorry to hear that Gordy died, but as you say he's in a better place.  These last couple of months have not been easy on him or you.

Cindy, it sounds like you have Thanksgiving under control.  DD and I will be getting together tomorrow and figuring out who's doing what this year.  I'm being extra careful because it's almost one year ago that I fell and broke my shoulder last year.  I do NOT want any repeats this year!   :P 

Hope you all have a good rest of the weekend.  Stay safe out in this messy weather.  I've done my bit for now.  I don't envy DD and GS at the Boy Scout camp out this weekend.  At least they are all sleeping inside.   :D 

Hi Ladies!!

Listening to all the talk about the snow falling,, I am ALMOST jealous!! :lol  Sometimes I think that would be so neat to have a white Christmas and all that movie type feeling.. and then I think of joints hurting, that sometimes I'm not in shape to shovel my car out , etc. and then I get all glad that here in Alabama I have seen now a handful of times in my life, and not very much either! Hope all of you stay safe!!

LINDA, how is Midnight and what did you decide to name him? I really like that name Gismo... post us a pic.... :) I also know that feeling of the older ones being gone and now I am the older one! :eek  How did that even happen!! And I am only 51!! One thing I do not like:  We always went to Grandmother's and the holidays were so special and all the kids and grandkids respected that's what you were SUPPOSED to do... These days everyone has their own plans and agendas and never seem to care... Just come eat, jump up and run... Cooking 2 whole days to eat for 15 minutes and then bye! But I am keeping 2 of the GS's this week while they are out of school and daycare.. Plus my 15 yr old DD is out of school with me.. Eli is 5 and Colt will be 2 Dec. 18th. So I probably will be glad when they all say Bye! :P

MARLENE, I am so sorry for your loss of Gordy...But Maya is so preciously sweet and that look on her face at her new baby brother!! Congratulations and praying Mom gets to feeling better soon!

Hi MARY!! THank you for the encouragement!! My DH got laid off the oil field in April and at his age kind of moot to be trying to get back on, even if the oil industry had picked back up... We have the cattle ranch (we have about 65 head of cattle not counting all the fall babies we just had) but we are "farm poor" as they say- so much goes into it!! But this is the only life my DH knows and it's in his blood so we will have cows to the end, just like his granddad that raised him. We have opened up a new pest control biz, and it is in its growing stages right now. We have 40 customers since we opened in September, but we need at least 100 to 150 to be able to breathe as they say..

I have fibro that flares up at the most inopportune time, so with that and the thought that as the pest control grows and the farm, he thinks he really needs me here... He wouldn't try to stop me if I really desired to work an employed job (which I kind of don't, even though I sometimes do miss those days). But I do love to crochet and making jewelry and people once they find out what you do, they just ask for things you know? So like you,, I think that could be something for ME..but we shall see.

Did you get your new dryer? and I wish you luck with the plumbing...

Hey JUDY and CINDY!! :waving

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Just a quick drop in before bed.  The official snow fall was 7.5 inches here in Cedar Rapids.  We broke the old record by half an inch.  It has smushed down somewhat, but there is still a lot of it out there.  It is now 10* F with a wind chill of -10* F.  Burrrrrr!   Sweet Pea isn't real pleased about it all.  

Michelle, I'm currently leaning towards the name Skizzicks for the kitty.  He just finished up the last of his meds for the upper respiratory infection and is feeling lots better.  He is a very inquisitive little guy, but has pretty much continued to leave the yarn alone.  He loves to get a hold of kleenex tissues.  He carries them around the entire apartment and eventually shreds them.

Good morning ladies. I am on call for work, and really hoping that I don't get called in. I only slept about three hours last night. I did something to a muscle in the side of my neck, and it's not improving. It's just a minor ache when I'm up, but when I lay down its really painful. I have a neck support pillow somewhere that I will find today and use tonight. Hopefully I can sleep tonight, since I have to work again tomorrow. I have been taking Tylenol for it, but it doesn't seem to Make much difference, so last night I tried Motrin, but that seemed about the same. Guess I will just have to grin and bear it, and wait it out. I don't think it's anything much, there isn't even any swelling, probably just muscle strain from sleeping on it wrong. I bought a new pillow recently too, maybe that is part of the problem.

Linda, I like Skizzicks. It's original and it's fun to say.

Michelle, it sure sounds like your life is plenty busy enough without adding an outside job to the mix. I love having my grandchildren visit, but it's kind of nice to see their parents driving up the driveway to pick them up too!

I still have my mother in law around, but we are now the generation that hosts and plans everything. My adult children are still into family gatherings for holidays. They even make an effort to go to my families holiday gatherings, and my closest sibling lives 4 hours away. My youngest daughter will become the keeper of the traditions, as she is really into that, my husband has four siblings but it's always my sister in law or myself that makes sure my mother in law and my husbands single brother have a place to go on the holidays.

Good Morning, House. :)

Michelle ~ Your upcoming week sounds super hectic!  Our grandsons are 5 and 3 and are very busy. Lol  I love them to pieces, but am always exhausted when they leave. ;)  I'm so sorry about your DH's being laid off. :hug  I just know his new business will continue to grow!

Linda ~ It sounds like winter has arrived in Iowa!  Stay safe and warm.  :yes   Oh, just give kitty some time...he'll find the yarn one of these days.  :lol

Cindy ~ I hope you get to stay home today.  Your neck pain sounds exactly like what I just got rid of. The oral surgeon asked me if I'd had any headaches after the surgery and I told him no, but my neck really hurt.  He used his thumb and hit a pressure point in just the right place...the pain was gone when he did that.  Of course, I couldn't reach correctly to do it for myself. Lol  The pain is finally gone, though - I hope yours is better soon. :hug

DD's inlaws traditionally host Thanksgiving at a wonderful Fort Worth private club.  We are always invited and have gone a few years.  I miss having people here, but even Sue will be gone this year. (to Michigan!)  I think we're going to stay home and cook just for us.  Luke and Zach will be here over next weekend, so we can see them all then.

Time to get busy.  Have a good morning, everyone. :manyheart

Hi, ladies.

It sounds like a lot is going on with everyone. Try not to overdo.

And Linda, be careful out there!

The furbabies are doing good. Sparkie's ears are great, and I need to check his foot when he lets me. I haven't seen him lick it, so I'm hopeful He seems affected by the suddenly cold weather today - vet recommended Fish Oil. Maybe Ill try it after his antibiotics are finished. He's tolerated them well, and I don't want to mess with with those good results.

Hi, Marlene, Michelle, Cindy, Mary and everyone!

Take care, my friends,

Archived